• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what happened but today I've been watching the set and it's not blindingly bright like it was.

Have my eyes gotten used to it? Or what I have no idea lol

Apr 21, 2018
I have no idea what happened but today I've been watching the set and it's not blindingly bright like it was.

Have my eyes gotten used to it? Or what I have no idea lol

when is dark reset the tv and use default settings, in HDR search for a calibrated or dark mode?

if this mode give you eye strain, them definitive the set its super bright for you

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it, but you didn't happen to give it a compare look yet, right? ROFL

About to pop in the disc but I'm curious lol. Seems like the reviews place them about even in the end, with each having a few advantages like DV's refinement as expected for the digital, with maybe the disc maybe just edging it out, but pretty even.

Just watched the disc, and you were on point.

DV gave some incredible HDR moments/scenes to the digital version, but the disc version looks better overall.

I can't get tired of watching this, Its such a stunningly pretty movie.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the disc, and you were on point.

DV gave some incredible HDR moments/scenes to the digital version, but the disc version looks better overall.

I can't get tired of watching this, Its such a stunningly pretty movie.
WiCSQeO.gif

Cool, thanks. :)

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I'm sure the thread is sick and tired of hearing from me but there is for sure an issue going on with the way at the very least my set tones HDR

I can confirm this through HDR settings controls through Forza Horizon 3 and Destiny 2. Both have calibration sliders for HDR brightness and I basically have 2 options when adjusting. Either completely crushing the blacks, or having HDR set so high / bright that it blooms out all detail

I've been messing with both extensively and I cannot get the set to look the way a normal HDR output image looks. It's either overly dark where it should not be or insanely bright where highlights should be.

The only thing I can get to run looking consistently great is Infinity War

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny try adjusting the slider so the third one just disappears. The way they describe it is just as the second one appears which makes it looks like crazy cartoon land on those settings. At least for me.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hello peeps,

So I am moving into my first place and I'm starting to look at what TV set I want to get. I'm looking to spend $600-$800. I can go up to $1000 if it a great deal but closer to $800 the better. I have a PS4 Pro, Switch, and I use Steam Link as well. I watch a lot of blu-rays, but I haven't started collecting 4K blu-rays just yet. As for screen size I'm looking in that 55-65 inch.

One tv that I've had my eyes on for $700 is https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-6...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/5900138.p?skuId=5900138. It says that it is 4k UHD, so I figure those are what I should be looking for. Any thoughts on this tv or my situation is greatly appreciated. I am really excited about moving and building my mini-mancave.

Also side question: Is there a good thread to get a recommendation for modems and routers?

Oct 27, 2017
Hello peeps,

So I am moving into my first place and I'm starting to look at what TV set I want to get. I'm looking to spend $600-$800. I can go up to $1000 if it a great deal but closer to $800 the better. I have a PS4 Pro, Switch, and I use Steam Link as well. I watch a lot of blu-rays, but I haven't started collecting 4K blu-rays just yet. As for screen size I'm looking in that 55-65 inch.

One tv that I've had my eyes on for $700 is https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-6...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/5900138.p?skuId=5900138. It says that it is 4k UHD, so I figure those are what I should be looking for. Any thoughts on this tv or my situation is greatly appreciated. I am really excited about moving and building my mini-mancave.

Also side question: Is there a good thread to get a recommendation for a modem?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...d-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello peeps,

Also side question: Is there a good thread to get a recommendation for modems and routers?

The TCL R617/R615 is the one you are looking for.

You would have to spend well over $1000 to get a better TV at 55", while the TCL is $650 for 55" and $999 for 65".

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617

Nothing comes close to that value, at those prices.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I just watched Fury via the Apple TV 4K in Dolby Vision. I realized that I am getting the raised blacks issue on my LG C8. I thought this thing was fixed?

In the very last scene of the movie, there is an overhead shot of the tank with the camera slowly rising. It then fades to black, the screen stays black a few seconds, then the credits start. During those few seconds that the screen is black, the blacks looked more like grey to me. The whole screen did, including the letterbox bars. If I got close to the screen I could see some noise. Once the credits started, which featured graphics on a red background, the black bars turned inky black again. The noise in the black bars disappeared.

To verify what I was seeing, I rewound the movie and went into the Apple TV settings and turned off match dynamic range and then set my output to 4K HDR. I replayed the scene and that fade to black was inky black. When the credits started the black bars were the same tone. They didn't get darker (because they were already the proper black). There was no noise when I got up close to the screen. Switching back to Dolby Vision, the issue reappeared.

Seriously, WTF?

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I just watched Fury via the Apple TV 4K in Dolby Vision. I realized that I am getting the raised blacks issue on my LG C8. I thought this thing was fixed?

In the very last scene of the movie, there is an overhead shot of the tank with the camera slowly rising. It then fades to black, the screen stays black a few seconds, then the credits start. During those few seconds that the screen is black, the blacks looked more like grey to me. The whole screen did, including the letterbox bars. If I got close to the screen I could see some noise. Once the credits started, which featured graphics on a red background, the black bars turned inky black again. The noise in the black bars disappeared.

To verify what I was seeing, I rewound the movie and went into the Apple TV settings and turned off match dynamic range and then set my output to 4K HDR. I replayed the scene and that fade to black was inky black. When the credits started the black bars were the same tone. They didn't get darker (because they were already the proper black). There was no noise when I got up close to the screen. Switching back to Dolby Vision, the issue reappeared.

Seriously, WTF?
There was a stretch of Sony Blu-rays that had a lot of black crush and Fury was a notorious example of that in 2014/2015. It is likely an issue stemming from that and not your display.

I own the digital copy and the 4K disc and I can check and compare them for you tomorrow. Edit: Would you mind giving a timestamp? That'd make it easier. :)

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
There was a stretch of Sony Blu-rays that had a lot of black crush and Fury was a notorious example of that in 2014/2015. It is likely an issue stemming from that and not your display.

I own the digital copy and the 4K disc and I can check and compare them for you tomorrow. Edit: Would you mind giving a timestamp? That'd make it easier. :)

Go to 2:05:50. The final shot of the movie with the camera pulling away from a bird's eye view of the tank. Look at the black bars, the will be perfect black. Once it hits 2:06:00, the whole screen goes black and it is actually dark grey, including the letterbox bars. Once the credits start a few seconds later, the black bars are fine again.

You watch the digital streams via an HDMI connected device like the Apple TV? Or do you use the internal apps? I'm pretty sure the WebOS apps will not exhibit the problem.

I rented the film via iTunes BTW.

Thanks!

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Go to 2:05:50. The final shot of the movie with the camera pulling away from a bird's eye view of the tank. Look at the black bars, the will be perfect black. Once it hits 2:06:00, the whole screen goes black and it is actually dark grey, including the letterbox bars. Once the credits start a few seconds later, the black bars are fine again.

You have an watch the digital stream via an HDMI connected device like the Apple TV? Or do you use the internal apps. I'm pretty sure the WebOS apps will not exhibit the problem.

Thanks!
Perfect.

I have an Apple TV 4K and a OPPO UDP-203. I'll watch the stream, the regular BD and the 4K disc and report back. I'm a big nerd for this stuff. The caveat is I'm on a B6 and the raised black issues have been fixed since that last patch for me so it'll be interesting to see if I can reproduce it as well. My guess is it is the same messed up source as the 2015 disc.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Perfect.

I have an Apple TV 4K and a OPPO UDP-203. I'll watch the stream, the regular BD and the 4K disc and report back. I'm a big nerd for this stuff. The caveat is I'm on a B6 and the raised black issues have been fixed since that last patch for me so it'll be interesting to see if I can reproduce it as well. My guess is it is the same messed up source as the 2015 disc.

I greatly appreciate that. I have to say, I think I have noticed this before on other Dolby Vision content via HDMI. I wasn't sure if it was my imagination. Today it bugged me to the point where I went out of my way to do some testing and confirm what I was seeing.

You mentioned the source suffered from crushed blacks, but since I'm noticing raised blacks, wouldn't it be a different problem? Also, it is interesting that I could not reproduce the issue if I forced HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision.

Anyway, I look forward to your findings.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
You mentioned the source suffered from crushed blacks, but since I'm noticing raised blacks, wouldn't it be a different problem? Also, it is interesting that I could not reproduce the issue if I forced HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision..
Yeah, that is curious to me too. The original issue was with crushed blacks and not with what you're describing. I didn't follow any of the discussion on the 4K disc so I have no idea if that disc has the same issue as the 2015 as well or if it had raised blacks. I obviously haven't watched it either. One last thing, did you watch the iTunes version or VUDU of the digital?

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah, that is curious to me too. The original issue was with crushed blacks and not with what you're describing. I didn't follow any of the discussion on the 4K disc so I have no idea if that disc has the same issue as the 2015 as well or if it had raised blacks. I obviously haven't watched it either. One last thing, did you watch the iTunes version or VUDU of the digital?

iTunes.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Alright I'm sure the thread is sick and tired of hearing from me but there is for sure an issue going on with the way at the very least my set tones HDR

I can confirm this through HDR settings controls through Forza Horizon 3 and Destiny 2. Both have calibration sliders for HDR brightness and I basically have 2 options when adjusting. Either completely crushing the blacks, or having HDR set so high / bright that it blooms out all detail

I've been messing with both extensively and I cannot get the set to look the way a normal HDR output image looks. It's either overly dark where it should not be or insanely bright where highlights should be.

The only thing I can get to run looking consistently great is Infinity War

You are in calibrated dark with default settings correct? (Vizio auto saves hdr and sdr settings depending on signal but sometimes it does not switch properly)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So here's a TV-related tech question, although it might be more a Windows issue or an amp issue:

I have my Windows laptop feeding a Pioneer VSX-529-K in turn feeding a Samsung LE40A656A1F - although I suspect it's the amp that's the source of the issue, because if I hook the laptop directly to the TV, it's not exhibiting these problems.

The issue is that frequently - but not *always*, it seems to be a bit variable - when a video plays, the signal cuts out, I'm presuming that at some level the amp is reinitialising. Seems particularly prevalent with video in webpages (Youtube often, Facebook, particularly obnoxious adverts) - but still, it's not everything, BBC iPlayer seems perfectly okay.

I'm really not sure quite what level I should be looking at, here. I haven't been able to deduce anything consistent about the videos that function versus those that don't, and in turn I'm not sure precisely what's triggering this reinitialisation, but it's frustrating! I was wondering if anyone here might have any insights.

Oct 27, 2017
So here's a TV-related tech question, although it might be more a Windows issue or an amp issue:

I have my Windows laptop feeding a Pioneer VSX-529-K in turn feeding a Samsung LE40A656A1F - although I suspect it's the amp that's the source of the issue, because if I hook the laptop directly to the TV, it's not exhibiting these problems.

The issue is that frequently - but not *always*, it seems to be a bit variable - when a video plays, the signal cuts out, I'm presuming that at some level the amp is reinitialising. Seems particularly prevalent with video in webpages (Youtube often, Facebook, particularly obnoxious adverts) - but still, it's not everything, BBC iPlayer seems perfectly okay.

I'm really not sure quite what level I should be looking at, here. I haven't been able to deduce anything consistent about the videos that function versus those that don't, and in turn I'm not sure precisely what's triggering this reinitialisation, but it's frustrating! I was wondering if anyone here might have any insights.

Check hdmi connectons so unplug and replug in. If that doesnt work swap HDMI with different ones. It does like a handshake issue.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels so weird to be at such a disconnect from the entire rest of the internet on this TV.

My wife demanded today that I return the P Quantum and that's it's too bright and hurts her eyes. She straight up said she preferred our old 1080p zero HDR Vizio to the Quantum because it is at least watchable to her and doesnt cause pain.

And yet I see zero complaints on the internet about the TV. In fact the thing that is bothering the both of us the most, its brightness is what most people love about it.

Either way I'm done battling with it, and I wouldn't want to piss off my wife anymore than she already is about this TV so I boxed it up this morning for a return.

Idk maybe HDR isnt for me, or if it is maybe sticky in a much lower lighting way such as an OLED. Either way my drama with the PQ is over lol.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
It feels so weird to be at such a disconnect from the entire rest of the internet on this TV.

My wife demanded today that I return the P Quantum and that's it's too bright and hurts her eyes. She straight up said she preferred our old 1080p zero HDR Vizio to the Quantum because it is at least watchable to her and doesnt cause pain.

And yet I see zero complaints on the internet about the TV. In fact the thing that is bothering the both of us the most, its brightness is what most people live about it.

Either way I'm done battling with it, and I wouldn't want to push off my wife anymore than she already is about this TV so I boxed it up this morning for a return.

Idk maybe HDR isnt for me, or if it is maybe sticky in a much lower lighting way such as an OLED. Either way my drama with the PQ is over lol.

Is it just HDR or also SDR?

If you watch in a dark room even HDR with OLED might be too bright at times with highlights.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just HDR or also SDR?

If you watch in a dark room even HDR with OLED might be too bright at times with highlights.

Yeah thats why I'm starting to wonder if I just straight up cant handle HDR. Seems like it would be weird for it to affect both of us the way it is though.

That said I think an OLED wouldn't have the same affect. Keep in mind the Vizio PQ peaks at over 2400 nits on highlights according to Rtings. Something like a C8 peaks at less than a 1000 nits. That's a huge gulf of difference in terms of strain on the eyes

But idk maybe HDR just isnt for me

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah thats why I'm starting to wonder if I just straight up cant handle HDR. Seems like it would be weird for it to affect both of us the way it is though.

That said I think an OLED wouldn't have the same affect. Keep in mind the Vizio PQ peaks at over 2400 nits on highlights according to Rtings. Something like a C8 peaks at less than a 1000 nits. That's a huge gulf of difference in terms of strain on the eyes

But idk maybe HDR just isnt for me

Well only one way to find out.

But again was SDR fine for you or too bright as well?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Too bright
The entire TV is far too bright unless you crank the backlight down to like 20 or so backlight. This is all using Rtings settings

Gotcha

Well good luck in your TV search.

Personally I liked going from a B7 to 930e, no one in my family has really complained about the brightness, but hey YMMV and I dunno how much more bright in real life the Vizio is compared to that.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha

Well good luck in your TV search.

Personally I liked going from a B7 to 930e, no one in my family has really complained about the brightness, but hey YMMV and I dunno how much more bright in real life the Vizio is compared to that.

I feel like there is something legit wrong in the way my set is processing HDR honestly

Again outside of Infinity War I only get insane crushed blacks (to the point actors are almost invisible in darkly lit scenes) with highlights so bright you cant really see anything but them

Again never had this problem ever when watching a friends OLED or M Series

I'm not even sure if it's just the normal nits bothering me or if something is wrong with the TV itself

Either way I'm just done with it. Getting an OLED once I can get a 65 inch under $2500. If that causes strain to us as well then I'll just forgoe HDR altogether and get a 4k TV with a good color range and poor peak HDR brightness handling

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I feel like there is something legit wrong in the way my set is processing HDR honestly

Again outside of Infinity War I only get insane crushed blacks (to the point actors are almost invisible in darkly lit scenes) with highlights so bright you cant really see anything but them

Again never had this problem ever when watching a friends OLED or M Series

I'm not even sure if it's just the normal nits bothering me or if something is wrong with the TV itself

Either way I'm just done with it. Getting an OLED once I can get a 65 inch under $2500. If that causes strain to us as well then I'll just forgoe HDR altogether and get a 4k TV with a good color range and poor peak HDR brightness handling

If you don't mind online...

https://slickdeals.net/f/11900783-c...-oled55c8pua-1499-until-7pm-est-more-free-s-h

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
That ones a 55. I need a 65 inch at 2500 or less from either Target or Best Buy because those are the only 2 places I have credit cards for. Probably around Black Friday it will happen as both places have a C8 for $3000 right now

They have other deals in the link for example a 2249 C8.

But gotcha

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Labor Day coming up probably means another $200 price cut on the 2018 OLEDs which means the C8 will probably be down to around $2150 street price. I'm definitely buying my next TV online, the deals are just insane and I'm comfortable enough with OLED that I don't feel the need for Best Buy's burn-in protection.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Labor Day coming up probably means another $200 price cut on the 2018 OLEDs which means the C8 will probably be down to around $2150 street price. I'm definitely buying my next TV online, the deals are just insane and I'm comfortable enough with OLED that I don't feel the need for Best Buy's burn-in protection.

Oh Best Buys warranty covers Burn in? I know Target uses Square Trade which doesnt

If so that's where I'll go with as I do game a lot which is the main thing that's put me off of an OLED so much

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC

You watch the digital streams via an HDMI connected device like the Apple TV? Or do you use the internal apps? I'm pretty sure the WebOS apps will not exhibit the problem.

I rented the film via iTunes BTW.

Thanks!
Okay, I tested just now.

I was not able to reproduce the moment you describe as the scene goes from the tank to the end credits on AppleTV or the 4K UHD disc (which only has HDR10). When it went black, the letterbox matched the darkened screen perfectly. I'm using a monoprice certified premium HDMI cable to a Marantz SR7011 receiver with all image processing turned off.

The LG is using 'Movie Bright' for Dolby Vision which I've edited myself. I have dynamic contrast turned completely off. LMK if you want to compare another setting. It's weird it is happening specifically on that part of the movie only. The encode for the iTunes version seems good in the brief time I spent with it.

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
I've ordered an HDFury Linker and the GoBlue Dongle from Amazon for €195! Quite expensive for getting more brightness out of my C7 HDR Game mode! But still cheaper than upgrading to the C8... ;-)

I will use your FAQ DOTDASHDOT. :')

img20180817_135701hmiv3.jpg

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The TCL R617/R615 is the one you are looking for.

You would have to spend well over $1000 to get a better TV at 55", while the TCL is $650 for 55" and $999 for 65".

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617

Nothing comes close to that value, at those prices.

Thank you to both of you. I will definitely check these out next time I'm at the store. :)

Uttered these same words like 3 weeks ago. Now I'm set on a $2,400+ OLED lmfao

Trust me I would love one of those lol. If I had it my way I'd spend $3K on a TV and just get some lawn chairs for furniture :)

Hopefully five years down the line or so I'll pick up a super nice top of the line set.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trust me I would love one of those lol. If I had it my way I'd spend $3K on a TV and just get some lawn chairs for furniture :)

Hopefully five years down the line or so I'll pick up a super nice top of the line set.

Yeah, man. I was gonna just get a stop gap joint for now, but figured fuck it. I'll just take the leap now and be set for next gen and the rest of the current one. Really wanted to experience Spidey and RDR2 and the other heavy hitters coming in the best way possible.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I've ordered an HDFury Linker and the GoBlue Dongle from Amazon for €195! Quite expensive for getting more brightness out of my C7 HDR Game mode! But still cheaper than upgrading to the C8... ;-)

I will use your FAQ DOTDASHDOT. :')

img20180817_135701hmiv3.jpg

Nice one man, I've updated the FAQ with the steps to turn off HDR injection, so SDR goes back to normal :)

Having been playing with PC HDR games, it just goes to show that LG are talking out of their arse, saying that "we chose the best way to display HDR games on LG OLED's" if that was the case, why does PC HDR look 10 times better? Did they choose that too then!? Two different gaming HDR approaches on one set ......

Realise that console games have zero metadata but still.

Console HDR looks good without injection, but PC is so much better, crap state of affairs really, and now I know why the PC guys on here have never complained lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Benji if you think it might just be the unit you got, wouldn't it be worth having Beat Buy exchange it before giving up and waiting for OLED price drops which might not happen for 3+ months?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benji if you think it might just be the unit you got, wouldn't it be worth having Beat Buy exchange it before giving up and waiting for OLED price drops which might not happen for 3+ months?

I'm not sure it is. I dont know what's going on but I'm so over stressing about it I just want to move on from it. I'm on my way to Best Buy right now to just return it and be done with it

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
Nice one man, I've updated the FAQ with the steps to turn off HDR injection, so SDR goes back to normal :)

Having been playing with PC HDR games, it just goes to show that LG are talking out of their arse, saying that "we chose the best way to display HDR games on LG OLED's" if that was the case, why does PC HDR look 10 times better? Did they choose that too then!? Two different gaming HDR approaches on one set ......

Realise that console games have zero metadata but still.

Console HDR looks good without injection, but PC is so much better, crap state of affairs really, and now I know why the PC guys on here have never complained lol.

How awesome of you BRAK... uh DOT. ;-)

Yeah, very unfortunate that HDR games looks way better on PC. That's because all of them are sending out metadata of 1000 nits right? Shame that consoles are not sending out any metadata at all!

But i agree, HDR on console can still look good but it's bothering the hell out of me knowing my C7 CAN and SHOULD do better in HDR Game.

That's why i bought the Linker. Now i only have to wait for it to be delivered. I'll let you know my inpressions!

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it is. I dont know what's going on but I'm so over stressing about it I just want to move on from it. I'm on my way to Best Buy right now to just return it and be done with it

It sucks so much when you're disappointed by something you've been expecting for so long (for me it happens a lot with games).

Sorry man, hope you can find a good substitute for it.