• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if TVs offer pixel perfect scaling of 1080p content to 4K, without any upscaling interpolation?

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Guys, I have a problem here.

I've had a LG C9, 55", for about one week. I'm coming from a Panasonic 42" plasma. The image quality from OLED is stunning, nut I'm having a very hard time with motion, especially in horizontal panning camera movements. It can be lessened in movies without activating a full soap opera effect, even if motion doesn't really get perfect; but I'm playing the Switch version of Trials of Mana at the moment and the jerkiness when moving the camera around is crazy.

While I'm mostly satisfied with the TV for movies and input lag is excellent in gaming mode, I'm afraid I won't easily get used to the motion problems.
Did I choose the wrong TV for me? Would some LED model be better for me?
I'm in Europe, and the C9 cost me around €1350 on sale.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the X900H is delayed until mid-June now. Between being Sony's first with HDMI 2.1 and one of the first TVs available with ATSC 3.0 I'm not surprised there are delays. Oh well, not like I can get it right now without someone helping me set it up, but it'd be nice to at least see reviews sooner rather than later.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I have a problem here.

I've had a LG C9, 55", for about one week. I'm coming from a Panasonic 42" plasma. The image quality from OLED is stunning, nut I'm having a very hard time with motion, especially in horizontal panning camera movements. It can be lessened in movies without activating a full soap opera effect, even if motion doesn't really get perfect; but I'm playing the Switch version of Trials of Mana at the moment and the jerkiness when moving the camera around is crazy.

While I'm mostly satisfied with the TV for movies and input lag is excellent in gaming mode, I'm afraid I won't easily get used to the motion problems.
Did I choose the wrong TV for me? Would some LED model be better for me?
I'm in Europe, and the C9 cost me around €1350 on sale.

You can get an LCD with higher response time. The trade off is increased motion blur.

Unfortunately, nothing on the market is going to touch your plasma in terms of motion handling/resolution.

Oct 28, 2017
So I've seen people talking about how 30 fps stutter is noticeable on the OLED vs their plasmas, but how big of a difference is it between LCD?

I was looking at a c9 or cx to take advantage of gsync, but you guys are giving me second thoughts. Will the new Sony support it, or are their other options? Or is the stutter not that bad compared to LCD?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
So I've seen people talking about how 30 fps stutter is noticeable on the OLED vs their plasmas, but how big of a difference is it between LCD?

I was looking at a c9 or cx to take advantage of gsync, but you guys are giving me second thoughts. Will the new Sony support it, or are their other options? Or is the stutter not that bad compared to LCD?
It depends on how sensitive you are when it comes to those things. I don't think it's a problem if you don't notice frame pacing issues for example. But you should try to test it out for yourself to be sure.

LCD is just blurry to me tbh, even 60fps looks blurry on some LCDs.

flip

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be getting the CX 55" in a week, and I was looking at soundbars. The Sonos Arc looks pretty cool as my apartment is pretty open, and it could be my music centre too.

HOWEVER, the C9/CX seem to have a really low height; the stand is short af and only adds 3.2cm of height. That's not a lot of room for a soundbar, positioned right in front of it, to not obscure the screen.

How have any existing C9 owners gotten around this? I don't really have a place to put the soundbar anywhere but in front of the TV.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

The only time I really find the stutter off-putting on my C9 versus my old Kuro is on high contrast edges, so something like a panning shot (of a certain speed) across a city skyline during the day, and this is mainly an issue on 24fps content for me. I don't really notice the same issue when gaming (at least I haven't yet).

It should be noted I also have Real Cinema on and TruMotion completely off for 24fps playback, so I could probably up the de-judder and see if it made it better without introducing SOE to a level I find displeasing. I'm just not sure if turning Trumotion on breaks the 5:5 pulldown of Real Cinema and goes back to 3:2 pulldown or not since turning any TruMotion on greys out Real Cinema (even though it still says enabled when greyed out).

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I'll be getting the CX 55" in a week, and I was looking at soundbars. The Sonos Arc looks pretty cool as my apartment is pretty open, and it could be my music centre too.

HOWEVER, the C9/CX seem to have a really low height; the stand is short af and only adds 3.2cm of height. That's not a lot of room for a soundbar, positioned right in front of it, to not obscure the screen.

How have any existing C9 owners gotten around this? I don't really have a place to put the soundbar anywhere but in front of the TV.
I have this problem with my current Plasma and it's annoying since the remote isn't always working. There is only one way around that: mount the TV on the wall.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

I have my sound bar on a shelf just below the TV.

I was actually surprised by how good the TV sound is. Am tempted to just add a sub and get rid of the sound bar.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's just a VESA mount, so you can buy a different stand that's taller.

flip

Oct 25, 2017
I have my sound bar on a shelf just below the TV.

I was actually surprised by how good the TV sound is. Am tempted to just add a sub and get rid of the sound bar.
Ahh okay. I'll try out the tv sound before making any soundbar decisions. I don't have any shelf space for it below though; it's the only place for my consoles to go.

It's just a VESA mount, so you can buy a different stand that's taller.
Any tips on where to find decent ones? Amazon just offers up some really subpar stuff. Ideally I'd like something as quality looking as the default stand itself, just higher. Ones with two legs like the Sony X900H would be interesting too.

I'm looking at things like this, thinking, why don't they sell replacement TV legs as simple as this, as an alternative to an entire stand? Outside of buying them from a used TV, I see no real options anywhere on Amazon for something that looks sleek.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's been following the Eve Spectrum monitor, they're adding HDMI 2.1 to the 240 Hz QHD and 144Hz 4k models, as well as eliminating the bezel.

Got an order on the 240hz QHD so cannot wait for the end of the year.

eve.community

Spectrum gets a buff

Spectrum had a shave! Since we offered a sneak peek at a new industrial design a few weeks ago, I doubt this will come as a surprise. But the 4K and 240Hz models received a face lift! Though the QHD 144Hz model remains unaffected by these design changes, the display assemblies used for the other...

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
If anyone's been following the Eve Spectrum monitor, they're adding HDMI 2.1 to the 240 Hz QHD and 144Hz 4k models, as well as eliminating the bezel.

Got an order on the 240hz QHD so cannot wait for the end of the year.

eve.community

Spectrum gets a buff

Spectrum had a shave! Since we offered a sneak peek at a new industrial design a few weeks ago, I doubt this will come as a surprise. But the 4K and 240Hz models received a face lift! Though the QHD 144Hz model remains unaffected by these design changes, the display assemblies used for the other...
This looks perfect (just missing the OLED).

What's the expected pricing on these?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This looks perfect (just missing the OLED).

What's the expected pricing on these?

evedevices.com

Spectrum Gaming Monitors

Our Spectrum line-up features best-in-class gaming monitors, including Spectrum 4k 144Hz and Spectrum QHD 280Hz. Impeccable performance, latest-gen specifications, and 27” IPS panels... our monitors are guaranteed to change the way you game for good.

The prices are allegedly increasing before launch, doing this like a crowdfunded offer which is why they've said they can do the upgrades in them.

All 27"

QHD 144Hz HDR400: $389
QHD 240Hz HDR600 (750 nits): $529
4k 144Hz HDR600 (750 nits): $629

Add $99 for an official stand, but I'm just going to use a dual monitor stand

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Look into Samsung q80t or q90t.

This is where I'm at. Would love an OLED but we have a fairly bright room and it can remain bright until 11pm in the summer, plus I'm proper worried about screen burn. I have had burn in on my Samsung S8, and my brightness is always on auto, and it screen turns off after 30s of no use. I know that TVs now have refresh capabilities, but just the thought of getting burn in on a €1500-2000 device makes me break out in a cold sweat. Which is a shame - oleds are stunning.

J Handlebars

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all! Thinking about purchasing an LGB9 and was wondering if anybody had suggestions on an hdmi cord that would allow me to play 4K/120hz/hdr. I have an rtx2080 that sits about 12 feet away from my tv.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all! Thinking about purchasing an LGB9 and was wondering if anybody had suggestions on an hdmi cord that would allow me to play 4K/120hz/hdr. I have an rtx2080 that sits about 12 feet away from my tv.

You won't with that GPU I'm afraid. You'll need an HDMI 2.1 GPU and that currently does not exist. Or a company releasing an active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 active converter, that Club3D said would be coming at the start of this year, but have been quiet now, which could be COVID-19 related.

Max you can do on the B9 with HDMI 2.0b is 1440p/120Hz or 4k/60Hz.

J Handlebars

Oct 28, 2017
You won't with that GPU I'm afraid. You'll need an HDMI 2.1 GPU and that currently does not exist. Or a company releasing an active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 active converter, that Club3D said would be coming at the start of this year, but have been quiet now, which could be COVID-19 related.

Max you can do on the B9 with HDMI 2.0b is 1440p/120Hz or 4k/60Hz.

Wow! Everything is so freakin complicated even when purchasing top of the line stuff lol.

With that in mind - still looking for hdmi suggestions to achieve 1440p/120hz and 4K/60hz

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
evedevices.com

Spectrum Gaming Monitors

Our Spectrum line-up features best-in-class gaming monitors, including Spectrum 4k 144Hz and Spectrum QHD 280Hz. Impeccable performance, latest-gen specifications, and 27” IPS panels... our monitors are guaranteed to change the way you game for good.

The prices are allegedly increasing before launch, doing this like a crowdfunded offer which is why they've said they can do the upgrades in them.

All 27"

QHD 144Hz HDR400: $389
QHD 240Hz HDR600 (750 nits): $529
4k 144Hz HDR600 (750 nits): $629

Add $99 for an official stand, but I'm just going to use a dual monitor stand
Damn, this is like my perfect monitor. Sold.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this is like my perfect monitor. Sold.

The main warning is that their 2-in-1 tablet came a bit late, but it was their first project and when it was delivered, it was what was promised and worked well. So I've gone into this thinking they might miss Q4 2020, but I'm OK with waiting.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely has drawbacks. No HDR formats with metadata. No FALD (that I can tell). VRR range is worse than LG OLED.

Both are true yes. This is going to be my very high framerate PC while my TV one is hooked up to my C9. The low end is only 8fps higher and I'm getting a 240Hz model to run above 100Hz, I'm hoping a 3080ti won't be going lower than 60 at ultra at 1440p for a while!

When it was in the design phase, the community wanted backlight strobing over FALD, so this is going to be for smooth motion over the best HDR. BlurBusters believe this is the best solution, as it's not very good to be strobing with FALD right now: https://eve.community/t/spectrum-specification-update-and-q-a/20357/39

I agree, it's not the monitor to end monitors, especially for the best ever HDR, but for the price, I think where they've cut corners make sense for what the community asked for at the time.

Nice monitor and nice TV are going to be separate for separate purposes for me, but if someone is shopping for a single display, then thinking about what the most important parts for them is going to be.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Think I'm going to finally jump on a C9 next time it gets towards £1100. Everywhewre in the UK seems to be at £1300 atm.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm going to finally jump on a C9 next time it gets towards £1100. Everywhewre in the UK seems to be at £1300 atm.

Looking at HUKD, the lowest it's been is £1,199 (£1,149 from somewhere I've never heard of too). Just so you have an idea of when you want to pull the trigger.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Both are true yes. This is going to be my very high framerate PC while my TV one is hooked up to my C9. The low end is only 8fps higher and I'm getting a 240Hz model to run above 100Hz, I'm hoping a 3080ti won't be going lower than 60 at ultra at 1440p for a while!

When it was in the design phase, the community wanted backlight strobing over FALD, so this is going to be for smooth motion over the best HDR. BlurBusters believe this is the best solution, as it's not very good to be strobing with FALD right now: https://eve.community/t/spectrum-specification-update-and-q-a/20357/39

I agree, it's not the monitor to end monitors, especially for the best ever HDR, but for the price, I think where they've cut corners make sense for what the community asked for at the time.

Nice monitor and nice TV are going to be separate for separate purposes for me, but if someone is shopping for a single display, then thinking about what the most important parts for them is going to be.
All good points. I just didn't want people to get the impression it was a TV replacement.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Looking at HUKD, the lowest it's been is £1,199 (£1,149 from somewhere I've never heard of too). Just so you have an idea of when you want to pull the trigger.
Yeah the 1150 price was last week from PRC I think? They're offering a 5 year guarantee so I'd just get in touch with RS or JL and see if they'd match (pref RS as there's two nearby).

This is where I'm at. Would love an OLED but we have a fairly bright room and it can remain bright until 11pm in the summer, plus I'm proper worried about screen burn. I have had burn in on my Samsung S8, and my brightness is always on auto, and it screen turns off after 30s of no use. I know that TVs now have refresh capabilities, but just the thought of getting burn in on a €1500-2000 device makes me break out in a cold sweat. Which is a shame - oleds are stunning.

After some research I decided to go with 75 inch Q80T. Would be a huge upgrade from my 40 inch 1080p bravia i bought 7 years ago.

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Looks like the X900H is delayed until mid-June now. Between being Sony's first with HDMI 2.1 and one of the first TVs available with ATSC 3.0 I'm not surprised there are delays. Oh well, not like I can get it right now without someone helping me set it up, but it'd be nice to at least see reviews sooner rather than later.
Damn. That's rough, I was hoping to see some reviews. I'm worried about the low number of dimming zones, but otherwise the tv seems to fit most of my needs. If Sony can't deliver, it will be a q80t for me. I tried OLED, but it was honestly too much tv for me. I'm not a videophile, I just want a reasonably good image with some gaming features.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or all people seem to care is about just how much a TV can blind you from extreme brightness? I was interested in Samsung's QLED TVs until I found out game mode on those things looks like shit. Now I'm only looking at the x955g.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or all people seem to care is about just how much a TV can blind you from extreme brightness? I was interested in Samsung's QLED TVs until I found out game mode on those things looks like shit. Now I'm only looking at the x955g.

On LED's, it really does matter to get the contrast rate. They tend not to use the full brightness over the whole screen, just to make highlights really highlight.

Not you

Oct 27, 2017

That's an over generalization based on one review of a tv. I have a JS9000 and it doesn't look like shit. There are some post processing that doesn't occur, but I don't really notice the difference unless I'm looking for them.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
That's an over generalization based on one review of a tv. I have a JS9000 and it doesn't look like shit. There are some post processing that doesn't occur, but I don't really notice the difference unless I'm looking for them.

A JS9000 has edge-lighting and if you think the local dimming for that TV looks fine, then of course you wouldn't find fault in the Samsung current year lineup game mode local dimming. It's pretty objectively poor compared to other LCD manufacturers though.

Not you

Oct 27, 2017
I do find fault with it. I find the picture of the 9000 really nice. The gamemode in the 9000 is nearly indistinguishable to the normal, especially while playing. It gets really bright in HDR, and is miles ahead of my b6 in that area. Overall, I prefer the b6's picture, but, it's not a big difference. With some content, I prefer the picture of the Samsung. Before that, I had a Pioneer Kuro. I prefer both the Samsung and the LG over that.

As per other manufacturers, there exist no perfect tech, and you've got to make compromises somewhere. I don't know what I'm going to buy this year, but it won't be an oled. I'm waiting for testing to be done on Samsung's 8k line not for the resolution, but those bastards put all the new tech in there. If there're problems maybe Sony, but I've had a few bad experiences so I'm hoping to avoid that.

Last edited:

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
After some research I decided to go with 75 inch Q80T. Would be a huge upgrade from my 40 inch 1080p bravia i bought 7 years ago.

Nice! Can I ask why you chose the Q80 over the Q90? I'm tempted by the connect box, must admit! I'll be updating from an 8 year old Phillips 40 inch LED TV. Apart from some bleeding on the sides it's actually held up pretty well!

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
So the 950G and 950H have identical internals and the firmware from the latter is flashable to the former. The new menus are whatever, but it could be an interesting development down the line. (like if Sony decides to officially activate 2.1 on the H but withhold it on the G)

Nice! Can I ask why you chose the Q80 over the Q90? I'm tempted by the connect box, must admit! I'll be updating from an 8 year old Phillips 40 inch LED TV. Apart from some bleeding on the sides it's actually held up pretty well!

I've read and watched some reviews and factored in my budget. It all came down to either having 75 inch q80t or 65 inch q90t. Q90t has slightly better specs and will provide better contrast and black levels but q80T is not a slouch either. Besides that I'm enjoyng my current TV even though it is way worse than those two and I still enjoy it, therefore I decided to go with bigger screen size for more immersion.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I've had a C9 for a while. I must have gotten a bad panel or something because I ended up getting a vertical pixel defect after a few months. I'm gonna get a replacement.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how feasible this is but I intend to get a 10-15" screen to use with a ps4 (mostly for ps5 though) and I'm not sure what features I would need in that situation since it would be small.

For example in that link, it's 4K and HDR supported. Being close to the screen, would I even notice this compared to no HDR or even just 1080p? I guess also any trusted brands or products or any advice? My baseline requirement for features would probably be simply "like the switch screen, but my games would look better on a slightly bigger screen " since I'm happy with at quality for a small size.

If it's relevant, the reason is that I plan to use this like someone would use tabletop mode on the switch. So take the system with me places, plug into power and use a "little tv"

Any suggestions or advice, as rare as my want may be?

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering the LG CX 48" for my primary desktop monitor. Assuming I use it the same as I would any other monitor, with the exception of making sure the display is off when I'm not using it (and turning on any burn-in reduction features), is ~3 years of ~60 hours per week before noticeable burn-in reasonable expectations? Typical use would include a lot gaming, web browsing, programming, etc.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I'm considering the LG CX 48" for my primary desktop monitor. Assuming I use it the same as I would any other monitor, with the exception of making sure the display is off when I'm not using it (and turning on any burn-in reduction features), is ~3 years of ~60 hours per week before noticeable burn-in reasonable expectations? Typical use would include a lot gaming, web browsing, programming, etc.

You need to be taking some precautions at the very least. Lower OLED light, plain black background, auto-hide taskbar, that sort of thing. I use my B8 as my primary PC display but this isn't a machine I use for work, I'll do the occasional web browsing without issue but not sure I'd be comfortable using it as a work machine. 90%+ of my PC usage is gaming.

If you're comfortable replacing it after 3 years and have the means to do so then it's probably worth taking the risk. PC monitors are horrible for gaming imo due to the abysmal contrast ratios that are common, OLED is on a completely different level, so I completely understand the desire to do so. You absolutely need to ensure you disable HDR for day-to-day usage though, you can play around with enabling it for games but you want to ensure it is off by default for desktop usage.

ABL and auto dimming of static objects may mean that you don't have the best desktop experience though so I think a lot comes down to the split of your usage.

For a purely gaming rig I would recommend an OLED over any PC monitor without a moment's hesitation, but a work machine wouldn't get the same endorsement.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
You need to be taking some precautions at the very least. Lower OLED light, plain black background, auto-hide taskbar, that sort of thing. I use my B8 as my primary PC display but this isn't a machine I use for work, I'll do the occasional web browsing without issue but not sure I'd be comfortable using it as a work machine. 90%+ of my PC usage is gaming.

If you're comfortable replacing it after 3 years and have the means to do so then it's probably worth taking the risk. PC monitors are horrible for gaming imo due to the abysmal contrast ratios that are common, OLED is on a completely different level, so I completely understand the desire to do so. You absolutely need to ensure you disable HDR for day-to-day usage though, you can play around with enabling it for games but you want to ensure it is off by default for desktop usage.

ABL and auto dimming of static objects may mean that you don't have the best desktop experience though so I think a lot comes down to the split of your usage.

For a purely gaming rig I would recommend an OLED over any PC monitor without a moment's hesitation, but a work machine wouldn't get the same endorsement.

Thanks. The new (smaller) size, G-Sync, and 4:4:4 4K 120Hz are reasons why it's now viable for me. And obviously OLED is very attractive on its own.

Is HDR normally enabled for desktop use? Seems pointless.

I usually calibrate my displays to 120 nits, but I'm not sure how OLED or HDR changes this.

Would a dark (black or grey) taskbar make much of a difference? Or is it the icons that are the main offender here?