• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Get the latest firmware (4.10.15) if your TV came with firmware 3.00.63 or later, it fixes a brightness fluctuation bug that has been around since at least 3.00.63.

You can be cautious and wait another week to update, but so far its been nothing but positive news from other owners at avsforum.

rtings settings will cover most of the basics, like turning energy saving mode off. Another one I'm not sure if it comes turned on by default is the channel logo luminance adjustment, that one you want to make sure is off too.

The default setting for the logo adjustment is 'low'. The instruction manual recommends setting it as 'high' though. There is a section with regard to image retention/burn in and that is one of the changes that LG recommends. IIRC there isn't an 'off' setting on the C8.

Nope I was wrong, just checked, there is an 'off' for the logo luminance adjustment. However, as I understand it, the high means that the adjustment to the logo luminance is high i.e. the logo is less prominent on the screen so less likely to create image retention/burn in. I hope so since that's how I have the setting. Someone put me straight if I am wrong, please.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Had my AF8 65" for three days now, and yea Bumrush I got used to it pretty fast. Wall-mounting helped a lot in making it seem like a part of the room for me, instead of this big black rectangle just being there.

I've had the pleasure of seeing John Wick, Coco, Wall-E, God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon. Super Mario Party and some Seinfeld on it over the weekend. Everything has been quite nice.

wat.jpg

Now I just need to get the rest of my living room back together, sell my old tv and find some place for that giant box it came in.

Awesome setup, nice and clean, even the PS4 disappears in the stand.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
The default setting for the logo adjustment is 'low'. The instruction manual recommends setting it as 'high' though. There is a section with regard to image retention/burn in and that is one of the changes that LG recommends. IIRC there isn't an 'off' setting on the C8.

Nope I was wrong, just checked, there is an 'off' for the logo luminance adjustment. However, as I understand it, the high means that the adjustment to the logo luminance is high i.e. the logo is less prominent on the screen so less likely to create image retention/burn in. I hope so since that's how I have the setting. Someone put me straight if I am wrong, please.

Same, why would I want that turned off?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't just dim logos is the problem, it sometimes will dim large parts of the screen or even the entire picture, and it can even wrongly detect things that aren't logos as a logo and wrongly dim from that. At the very least set it to low because when at high its going to be super aggressive about it.

Logos aren't really a big problem with burn in (unless you watch the same cable channel 24/7) so its just not worth having it on imo.

Last edited:

woo

Nov 11, 2017
It doesn't just dim logos is the problem, it sometimes will dim large parts of the screen or even the entire picture, and it can even wrongly detect things that aren't logos as a logo and wrongly dim from that. At the very least set it to low because when at high its going to be super aggressive about it.

Logos aren't really a big problem with burn in (unless you watch the same cable channel 24/7) so its just not worth having it on imo.

Well that's a shame. Good to know though, thanks.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Is the 4.10.15 LG C8 firmware available in the US? My C8 doesn't see an update available.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
The MoviesAnywhere app on Apple TV now supports 4K/HDR playback (HDR10 only). Another way to watch Disney 4K stuff on ATV aside from Vudu.

Is the 4.10.15 LG C8 firmware available in the US? My C8 doesn't see an update available.

It's available to some people but LG doesn't push their updates to everyone at once. It's basically luck on whether your TV will see it or not.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
DOTDASHDOT Are you still using pc input / hdr at the recommended settings that you posted a couple of weeks ago? I've been using them ever since you posted them and I'm pretty happy with them. Just checking up in case you've made any changes.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Yea, at first I thought it was a nice little feature, but after reading about it more I eventually turned it to low then off.

Even the Rtings settings guide recommends it to be set to low because it can be too aggressive at high.
Did you notice much of a difference between having it at low vs off? I have it at low and am thinking of keeping it there for peace of mind, but if you feel like it made a nice impact I could try it too :)

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
DOTDASHDOT Are you still using pc input / hdr at the recommended settings that you posted a couple of weeks ago? I've been using them ever since you posted them and I'm pretty happy with them. Just checking up in case you've made any changes.

I've been using game HDR non PC of late, solely to check out 4:2:2 on the Xbox, as it's working as it should now, but the PC settings are the same as they were, looks indistinguishable from cinema, so it's a good option.

Is warm 2 the correct temp for the ISF presets on the C7?

Yeah.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here purchased through Greentoe? I keep seeing it referenced on reddit and AVS forum so I made an account and threw a lowball offer on a 65" C8 ($1,900 USD) to see what kind of counter-offers I'd get, but I'm also curious about other people's experiences with the site!

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone here purchased through Greentoe? I keep seeing it referenced on reddit and AVS forum so I made an account and threw a lowball offer on a 65" C8 ($1,900 USD) to see what kind of counter-offers I'd get, but I'm also curious about other people's experiences with the site!

I got my C8 from them about a week ago. My offer was for 2099 and it got accepted within hours, so you might be able to pull off $1900. They're completely legit. It all felt super sketchy until I saw my seller was actually a company i'm aware of and who is legit, and then the TV arrived. Seems sketchy but saved $600 on a TV!

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I got my C8 from them about a week ago. My offer was for 2099 and it got accepted within hours, so you might be able to pull off $1900. They're completely legit. It all felt super sketchy until I saw my seller was actually a company i'm aware of and who is legit, and then the TV arrived. Seems sketchy but saved $600 on a TV!

Nice, thanks for the input! I assume you didn't have any issues with possibly needing to return your set or anything like that?

The only two things I'm struggling with are burn-in risk without protection (I don't believe Square Trade warranties cover it?) and potential returns. That said, the huge cost savings may make the gamble worthwhile!

EDIT: I should add that I got a counter of $2299 already (within an hour) although I rejected it for now. I've seen too many people get theirs for $2,000 or 2,099 on slickdeals/reddit posts, haha.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, thanks for the input! I assume you didn't have any issues with possibly needing to return your set or anything like that?

The only two things I'm struggling with are burn-in risk without protection (I don't believe Square Trade warranties cover it?) and potential returns. That said, the huge cost savings may make the gamble worthwhile!

I'm not sure yet. I'm moving soon so I didn't take it out of the box as having to re-package it and move it would terrify me. The seller I had is legit enough that if it turns out to be broken i'm sure they'll replace it.

The good thing about Greentoe is they're all LG authorized retailers so you have full LG warranty. I've heard of people having success getting them to replace the screen when there's noticeable burn in, but ymmv. As for returns; you get a full receipt from the company that ends up accepting your offer, so they should be able to handle returns as if it were bought directly from them if there ends up being any issues.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Get the latest firmware (4.10.15) if your TV came with firmware 3.00.63 or later, it fixes a brightness fluctuation bug that has been around since at least 3.00.63.

You can be cautious and wait another week to update, but so far its been nothing but positive news from other owners at avsforum.

rtings settings will cover most of the basics, like turning energy saving mode off. Another one I'm not sure if it comes turned on by default is the channel logo luminance adjustment, that one you want to make sure is off too.
I see, thank you!

The TV is on the wall and it looks awesome. I completely forgot about the missing soundbar compared to my E6 so it really is just a picture on the wall xD Will post pics in the next few days.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm finally done with RDR2.

Played the entire single player story and some online, so all in all about 80 hours of playtime. This is now the game I've played the most with Spider-Man (35ish) coming in second on my nearly 4 month old C8 (500+ hours of total use).

I preferred how it looks in HDR with brightness lowered to 47 over SDR so that's how I played for like 95% of that time.

Never experienced image retention or anything like that. I ran the usual test patterns a few days after I was done with it, and its all good.

Its a game that is brilliant in some areas, but extremely frustrating in others, specially in the early chapters. In the end I think it's worth sticking with it, just take a break when you get too annoyed with it.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Vincent confirms LG didn't mess with any other picture settings aside fixing the abrupt luminance change bug, so I think its safe to update for people with calibrated sets.

The UK got their very own update that also adds HLG HDR support for the Dynasties documentary series on the BBC iPlayer app.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017

I read the piece. Talk of the Pixel Refresher function has me confused.

The good news is that I managed to remove this ghosting using the TV's Pixel Refresh feature (explained below the main article). The bad news is that Sony's advice on its own similar Panel Refresh feature states that 'The Panel refresh function may affect the panel. As a reference… do not perform it more than once a year, as it may affect the usable life of the panel."

So after this experience I couldn't help but wonder a) how much longer the TV would have had to be exposed to the Mad Max imagery before the image retention became permanent burn in, and b) what damage I might have been doing to the screen (permanent aging of all the organic material, perhaps?) if I'd subsequently had to run the Pixel Refresher feature repeatedly in much less than a year.

I've been running the Pixel Refresher function on my LG pretty much after every time I've sat down to play a game for a longer session. I've never really checked for IR, I've always manually set the function up just to make sure there isn't any. But this - talking about it shortening the panel's lifetime, even "damaging" the display - how true is that? Like if I run it 3 - 5 times a week - is that a bad thing?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm finally done with RDR2.

Played the entire single player story and some online, so all in all about 80 hours of playtime. This is now the game I've played the most with Spider-Man (35ish) coming in second on my nearly 4 month old C8 (500+ hours of total use).

I preferred how it looks in HDR with brightness lowered to 47 over SDR so that's how I played for like 95% of that time.

Never experienced image retention or anything like that. I ran the usual test patterns a few days after I was done with it, and its all good.

Its a game that is brilliant in some areas, but extremely frustrating in others, specially in the early chapters. In the end I think it's worth sticking with it, just take a break when you get too annoyed with it.

Currently in Chapter 6, this game feels like a chore at certain points. I think I'm taking an extended break from open world gaming after this one is done.

I've been running the Pixel Refresher function on my LG pretty much after every time I've sat down to play a game for a longer session. I've never really checked for IR, I've always manually set the function up just to make sure there isn't any. But this - talking about it shortening the panel's lifetime, even "damaging" the display - how true is that? Like if I run it 3 - 5 times a week - is that a bad thing?

I wouldn't worry about it at this point but I'd also stop doing that asap since it's entirely unnecessary. The TV runs a light version of the pixel refresher after 4 hours of usage anyway. You really don't need to double up like that.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I read the piece. Talk of the Pixel Refresher function has me confused.

I did that for the first month or so, not like there are any warnings, but tbh it's just not necessary, as I've never ever seen anything linger on my screen longer than a few seconds, and only once used a manual refresh when I had a big dark block that was crazy visible, and after it was gone.

Don't forget it'll do mini ones when it's in standby, and the full version a couple thousand hours In, doesn't worry me at all.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

Vincent confirms LG didn't mess with any other picture settings aside fixing the abrupt luminance change bug, so I think its safe to update for people with calibrated sets.

The UK got their very own update that also adds HLG HDR support for the Dynasties documentary series on the BBC iPlayer app.

I'll need to catch up on what's up with this and if it affects me (B7 owner). The majority of my viewing as of late is SDR though.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
I did that for the first month or so, not like there are any warnings, but tbh it's just not necessary, as I've never ever seen anything linger on my screen longer than a few seconds, and only once used a manual refresh when I had a big dark block that was crazy visible, and after it was gone.

The IR I've been seeing has usually faded in 20 minutes time, so yeah, so far it hasn't been a big deal on my end either. On the other hand, I couldn't really see any harm in setting it up myself after playing something like Forza Horizon 4 (fairly bright, mostly static HUD) for a number of hours.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
It actually looks like they've confused the two. Judder is consistent and completely normal on sample-and-hold displays, while stutter is not.

Either way, the two are separate and I've seen some mentions of stutter on the Panasonic OLEDs. Didn't see it in-store today, though, so it might not be as big a problem as some forumers claim it is.

I'm from Norway, but I bought the C7 on BF last year for ~ $1510 and sold it last week for ~ $1280.

Bought a XE90 for cheap, but I'll return it. Great TV for the price, with great contrast, colours and motion, but I can't stand the blooming. Worth a try, though.

I'm done with LG OLEDs after owning four of them. I was tempted by the Sony AF8, but the dimming issue makes it a no-go, so it looks like a Panasonic would be the best choice for me. Very happy with what I saw of it in the store today. Professional picture mode looked stunning.
I bought a Panasonic FZ802 recently. I've not noticed much judder at all, but I understand people have different tolerance levels to these kind of things so I may not be the best person to ask.

Fantastic TV for me so far, very few negatives. I'll list them because it is good to be aware of these things beforehand:
  • Only two full fat HDMI ports. I have an Xbox One X and PC so those are taken already. Be prepared to buy a switch.
  • The menu interface is basic at best. Confusing at worst.
  • The in built apps are fine (again a bit basic), but I am worried for future updates because they use a proprietary OS.
  • There is potential judder (although I haven't seen it yet).
  • The remote on the UK version of the 802 is junk. I replaced it with a Harmony Elite. Why have a top of the range TV with a budget remote?
  • The speakers on the 802 aren't great. Get a sound bar or go for the 952.
  • The stand makes the TV a bit wobbly. Nothing too concerning though.
That's all I can think of right now. None of the above make me regret my purchase one bit. It is a fantastic TV and the PQ breathed new life in to even non-4k sources like RDR2 on my PS4.

In all honesty I went for the Panasonic because it was around £200 cheaper than the LG and the only high end OLED with a central stand. I have a small corner TV stand that would mean the LG and Sony stick out and look daft :)

simplayer

Oct 27, 2017

I recently bought a samsung TV from greentoe, and it did have an issue, but I've had no issues with samsung covering repairs. So even if you have some issues with the set, the manufacturer will still cover you.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i've had the tcl p605 for months now. am i wrong to think that the FALD is a way bigger diference than 4k or the hdr that this set provides? it just makes movies look so much better. it's worth it just for getting rid of the washed out bars alone.

i've never had a plasma or oled, so the effect of this half measure has been kind of amazing to me

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The IR I've been seeing has usually faded in 20 minutes time, so yeah, so far it hasn't been a big deal on my end either. On the other hand, I couldn't really see any harm in setting it up myself after playing something like Forza Horizon 4 (fairly bright, mostly static HUD) for a number of hours.

You will shorten the life of your panel if you manually force the refresher too often. The shorter automatic sessions are all you need. There is a reason the longer automatic refresh only kicks in after many thousands of use.

Wonderbrah

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
just got a new c8 oled. What is BT.1886 under gamma settings? rtratings recommends 2.2 which I have it set to but wondering what bt.1886 is for?

Wonderbrah

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Also, when I'm watching something that is HDR, on my LG C8, shouldn't OLED LIGHT be automatically adjusted to 100?? On the technicolor expert, it stays at the default 25 regardless of hdr or sdr.

oops nvm, was playing god of war and didn't realize hdr was switched to off in the settings. problem solved

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I think it'll only power on the XBOX if you're turning on the TV to that input? There should be a setting in there somewhere that allows you to uncheck "run last run app" or something along those lines. That might help!

Hmm, I do recall such an option. I'll go check. The strange thing is. I powered my TV off while using Prime, the TV app. But the input was probably still Xbox yeah.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Should've asked this before, but what was the sales tax % for you on the $2,099 offer? My state is 6.25%, which takes $125 off my offer of $2,000 and I hadn't really considered that before. So basically the offer I got of $2,299 is more comparable to about $2,165 when you factor in the sales tax. Pretty great savings I suppose.

If my offer doesn't get accepted though, I'm likely going to try again at the same price point for a B8 and see if that's successful. If the hail Mary's are unsuccessful, then I'll probably end up picking up an X900F at the $1,599 sale price it's been running.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should've asked this before, but what was the sales tax % for you on the $2,099 offer? My state is 6.25%, which takes $125 off my offer of $2,000 and I hadn't really considered that before. So basically the offer I got of $2,299 is more comparable to about $2,165 when you factor in the sales tax. Pretty great savings I suppose.

If my offer doesn't get accepted though, I'm likely going to try again at the same price point for a B8 and see if that's successful. If the hail Mary's are unsuccessful, then I'll probably end up picking up an X900F at the $1,599 sale price it's been running.

None, the offer you make includes all sales tax and everything. To quote Greentoe: "the price you offer includes the product, tax, and shipping costs. Consider the price you offer a "flat rate". " If someone accepts your offer you're paying $2099, nothing more.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
None, the offer you make includes all sales tax and everything. To quote Greentoe: "the price you offer includes the product, tax, and shipping costs. Consider the price you offer a "flat rate". " If someone accepts your offer you're paying $2099, nothing more.

Right, but the distributor is still paying sales tax if your state requires them to, so it comes off the price they're getting for the TV if I'm understanding this correctly. In my case, Massachusetts would still charge them the 6.25% tax, which means a $2,000 sale price only nets them $1,875 shipped for the TV.

Basically, if a reseller sees my sales tax rate on the back end of the offer, they may not be willing to go as low for me as they would for someone who lives in New Hampshire and would cost them nothing for sales tax.

Am I wrong in thinking that?