• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GreenToe themselves aren't authorized by LG but it's my understanding that they broker the sale with companies who frequently are. If they were to accept my offer, is there any guarantee that they'll get me hooked up with a TV sold by an authorized dealer? I'd hate to sink $2100 on something only to find out it comes with zero warranty that LG will honor.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
GreenToe themselves aren't authorized by LG but it's my understanding that they broker the sale with companies who frequently are. If they were to accept my offer, is there any guarantee that they'll get me hooked up with a TV sold by an authorized dealer? I'd hate to sink $2100 on something only to find out it comes with zero warranty that LG will honor.

They guarantee that you're buying from an authorized reseller with warranty, I believe.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, but the distributor is still paying sales tax if your state requires them to, so it comes off the price they're getting for the TV if I'm understanding this correctly. In my case, Massachusetts would still charge them the 6.25% tax, which means a $2,000 sale price only nets them $1,875 shipped for the TV.

Basically, if a reseller sees my sales tax rate on the back end of the offer, they may not be willing to go as low for me as they would for someone who lives in New Hampshire and would cost them nothing for sales tax.

Am I wrong in thinking that?

Ohh I see what you're saying. Yeah you might be right on that. For what it's worth, i'm in Florida which is similar sales tax to Mass (iirc) and they took my $2099 offer.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017

Vincent confirms LG didn't mess with any other picture settings aside fixing the abrupt luminance change bug, so I think its safe to update for people with calibrated sets.

The UK got their very own update that also adds HLG HDR support for the Dynasties documentary series on the BBC iPlayer app.

Is the UK update still the same version number (04.10.15)? It's the only one I can see on the LG website. Only watched the first episode of Dynasties so wouldn't mind HLG working for the rest of them

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
So after watching too much Twitch, I thought I had a permanent burn in on my LG B6. Did a clean panel and it's all fixed! Keep that in mind when you hear people complain about burn ins.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to buy a Sony A9F but since were so to CES I think I should wait. Im curious if LG will improve their OLED panels for 2019. Im hoping for better resistance burn in and perhaps an increase in brightness. Although that might we wishful thinking. There are rumors LG switching to top emissive soon.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Here in Switzerland the 65" LG OLEDs are on sale till Dec 12th

B7 is £1336 / CHF1699 / $1702

C8 is £1650 / CHF2124 / $2128

I'm thinking the C8 is worth the extra. Right?
So , C8 has
A) slightly nicer bezel
B) doesn't need brightness adjustment in Game mode for HDR content
C) has black frame insertion

Otherwise, almost identical, right?

How is gaming on the B7 outside of game mode?
$425 difference

What should I go for ?

Sources will be
Apple TV 4K
PS4 Pro
Gaming PC
Nintendo Switch
Possibly UHD Blu-Ray Player

What say you?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to buy a Sony A9F but since were so to CES I think I should wait. Im curious if LG will improve their OLED panels for 2019. Im hoping for better resistance burn in and perhaps an increase in brightness. Although that might we wishful thinking. There are rumors LG switching to top emissive soon.

I'm guessing the 9 series end up reusing the 2018 panels while LG gets the new factory up and running before rolling out new panels in 2020. For 2019 I'm just expecting another slight increase in brightness along with some more HDMI 2.1 features like eARC and high framerate video support.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Can I hook up an ATV to any of my b7's hdmi inputs and get atmos through arc? I could easily go through my receiver but then I'm going to have to switch inputs whenever I use the apple device and that's a little more annoying.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the 9 series end up reusing the 2018 panels while LG gets the new factory up and running before rolling out new panels in 2020. For 2019 I'm just expecting another slight increase in brightness along with some more HDMI 2.1 features like eARC and high framerate video support.
Agreed, I think you're right. https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news...n-2-processor-and-be-ready-for-120fps-content
I might just get the A9F. I like Sony's processing and color gamut in game mode on the A9F is very accurate where LG forces wide color not matter what.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Well if I were buying the AF9 I'd wait for the Spring to hope for the price to go way down.

Also I love your username.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
Is some black flickering normal with the C8? Seemingly out of nowhere black screen flashes. Not sure if this is BFI since it's so noticeable? Only really notice it watching anime or Netflix.

Didn't happen at all with 3 hours or so playing Odyssey on the Switch (after turning off TruMotion).

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got the A9F and finished setting up. Coming from an LG B6 this is a solid step up in colors, motion, and image processing. Build quality and design are super nice too, kind of remind me of the Pioneer Kuro Elites.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Probably can get a quick answer here. Can any of you LG OLED owners tell me if the Google Play Movies & TV WebOS app supports 4K and/or HDR yet?

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the A9F and finished setting up. Coming from an LG B6 this is a solid step up in colors, motion, and image processing. Build quality and design are super nice too, kind of remind me of the Pioneer Kuro Elites.
NICE! I play Battlefield V regularly so I worry about burn in. I think there won't be a better OLED than the A9F until 2020.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get this at all. This guy is able to still access the game motion plus settings when freesync is enabled.

But as soon as I enable freesync the game motion plus settings are greyed out here. Wtf.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't get this at all. This guy is able to still access the game motion plus settings when freesync is enabled.

But as soon as I enable freesync the game motion plus settings are greyed out here. Wtf.

The PS4 doesn't support freesync, so it's not actually turned on.

Are you running a PS4 when you try it?

Also, I might have a solution to your green tinge problems if you are feeling brave.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I know we love a bit of burn in on this thread, but this has to be the worst I've seen, surely there must be something wrong with it, all sorts of stuff pencilled on the screen.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 doesn't support freesync, so it's not actually turned on.

Are you running a PS4 when you try it?

Also, I might have a solution to your green tinge problems if you are feeling brave.

Hey man, aaah so that's why. Nope I am using a X and sometimes the Switch. So it's normal both can't be activated at the same time then, good, it's all good then. :)

I'll probably end up using game motion plus settings now and then for some slower games (Hellblade for example) and enable Freesync for anything else, for like Shadow of the Tomb Raider that totally eliminates the screen tearing on X.

As for the green tinge, I have a feeling you want me to go into the service menu. Which is fine, I've accessed it just now to see if I could find a fix for the audio delay issue. Shoot! :)

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hey man, aaah so that's why. Nope I am using a X and sometimes the Switch. So it's normal both can't be activated at the same time then, good, it's all good then. :)

I'll probably end up using game motion plus settings now and then for some slower games (Hellblade for example) and enable Freesync for anything else, for like Shadow of the Tomb Raider that totally eliminates the screen tearing on X.

As for the green tinge, I have a feeling you want me to go into the service menu. Which is fine, I've accessed it just now to see if I could find a fix for the audio delay issue. Shoot! :)

You guessed right, there is a white balance calibration option in the service menu, this might fixed your green tinge.

First steps
Video settings on Xbox
switch to 1080p, 10 bit colour and PC full range.
If you want to skew this calibration towards HDR content check the YUV 4:2:2

In the youtube app on the Xbox run this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_rR5qWN30

go into the service menu and go down to ADC/WB
go to the ADC Result screen and take a photo of these settings as backup
look at the white balance screen and take a photo of this screen as backup.

When you've got a note of those screens, ensuring that the youtube video is runnin in the backgrounf
You don't want ANYTHING else on screen, no play buttons, pause buttons etc.

go to HDMI calibration and chose left or right. All bring well you'll see the screen changin a little and eventually the service menu will change from wait to success (I had to do it a couple of times as it failed)

Of course because entering the service menu changes all of the picture settings, you'll need to set everything up again, but hopefully your green tinge will be gone.

Oct 26, 2017
You guessed right, there is a white balance calibration option in the service menu, this might fixed your green tinge.

First steps
Video settings on Xbox
switch to 1080p, 10 bit colour and PC full range.
If you want to skew this calibration towards HDR content check the YUV 4:2:2

In the youtube app on the Xbox run this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_rR5qWN30

go into the service menu and go down to ADC/WB
go to the ADC Result screen and take a photo of these settings as backup
look at the white balance screen and take a photo of this screen as backup.

When you've got a note of those screens, ensuring that the youtube video is runnin in the backgrounf
You don't want ANYTHING else on screen, no play buttons, pause buttons etc.

go to HDMI calibration and chose left or right. All bring well you'll see the screen changin a little and eventually the service menu will change from wait to success (I had to do it a couple of times as it failed)

Of course because entering the service menu changes all of the picture settings, you'll need to set everything up again, but hopefully your green tinge will be gone.

This is fantastic man. I appreciate this a great deal. I'm gonna take my time for this though because I know how risky a service menu can be. Tomorrow I have all the time in the world. It would be superb if it fixes the problem, sure can't hurt to try.

Oh also, there is only one service menu, right? I've been able to get the service menu by pressing info, menu, mute and then power but apparently a numerical sequence also works.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This is fantastic man. I appreciate this a great deal. I'm gonna take my time for this though because I know how risky a service menu can be. Tomorrow I have all the time in the world. It would be superb if it fixes the problem, sure can't hurt to try.

Oh also, there is only one service menu, right? I've been able to get the service menu by pressing info, menu, mute and then power but apparently a numerical sequence also works.

yeah that's the one.
You know there is an audio delay setting in the normal sound menu expert settings?

Oct 26, 2017
yeah that's the one.
You know there is an audio delay setting in the normal sound menu expert settings?

Yep, but that doesn't change a thing sadly. I tried the same setting on my receiver too and while I do hear a difference I can't get it right. I compared it directly with my headset that I had powered on and there's still a delay.

It's the one connect box and freesync causing it.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
I know we love a bit of burn in on this thread, but this has to be the worst I've seen, surely there must be something wrong with it, all sorts of stuff pencilled on the screen.
He either got a faulty panel or leaves it on 24/7 with static logos. RTINGS has been running their burn-in test for months now and even the TV running nearly non-stop FIFA has not had significant problems with it.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
That's some pretty intense overwatch to have caused that. Can't be normal.

Seems fairly normal to me for a multiplayer game where you can easily accrue many hundreds of hours of the same static elements on the screen. If I played something like Overwatch constantly, I would not have bought my C8.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

Jesus that's insane, seems like any static element that touched the screen left its mark. All I could add to this discussion is that my 1080p oled which endured a few 100 hour games is burn-in free and my b7 is perfect as well.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hey all, just a quick question, I have a 2017 Sony 4K HDR TV and I checked the settings and something called motionflow is on standard for gaming

I can select standard, smooth, custom or off

Is this basically the motion smoothing setting, and would "off" be best for gaming?

What is the benefit of it being on?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hey all, just a quick question, I have a 2017 Sony 4K HDR TV and I checked the settings and something called motionflow is on standard for gaming

I can select standard, smooth, custom or off

Is this basically the motion smoothing setting, and would "off" be best for gaming?

What is the benefit of it being on?

The benefit will be it will create some extra frames and make some things feel smoother , however the downside is usually a shit tonne of extra latency.

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
I bought a Panasonic FZ802 recently. I've not noticed much judder at all, but I understand people have different tolerance levels to these kind of things so I may not be the best person to ask.

Fantastic TV for me so far, very few negatives. I'll list them because it is good to be aware of these things beforehand:
  • Only two full fat HDMI ports. I have an Xbox One X and PC so those are taken already. Be prepared to buy a switch.
  • The menu interface is basic at best. Confusing at worst.
  • The in built apps are fine (again a bit basic), but I am worried for future updates because they use a proprietary OS.
  • There is potential judder (although I haven't seen it yet).
  • The remote on the UK version of the 802 is junk. I replaced it with a Harmony Elite. Why have a top of the range TV with a budget remote?
  • The speakers on the 802 aren't great. Get a sound bar or go for the 952.
  • The stand makes the TV a bit wobbly. Nothing too concerning though.
That's all I can think of right now. None of the above make me regret my purchase one bit. It is a fantastic TV and the PQ breathed new life in to even non-4k sources like RDR2 on my PS4.

In all honesty I went for the Panasonic because it was around £200 cheaper than the LG and the only high end OLED with a central stand. I have a small corner TV stand that would mean the LG and Sony stick out and look daft :)
Thanks.

Not concerned about the points you're making, fortunately. I only have a PS4 Pro and Apple TV 4k, and I don't mind the remote. My primary concern is picture quality. How's the uniformity on your set?

The Panasonic FZ800 is more expensive than the LG C8 in Norway, but LG is out of the question for me. I've owned four LG OLED sets, and it's safe to say I won't buy another LG TV for quite a while.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I am absolutely smitten with the C8. I tossed on a few minutes of Atomic Blonde after I ran Audyssey on the AVR and I realized that my plasma had been crushing soooooooooo much of the detail. The C8s contrast makes content so appealing

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks.

Not concerned about the points you're making, fortunately. I only have a PS4 Pro and Apple TV 4k, and I don't mind the remote. My primary concern is picture quality. How's the uniformity on your set?

The Panasonic FZ800 is more expensive than the LG C8 in Norway, but LG is out of the question for me. I've owned four LG OLED sets, and it's safe to say I won't buy another LG TV for quite a while.
Uniformity is really good. There is some very minor banding at 2-5% grey if you sit close to the screen in a dark room, but it is almost imperceptible after that. I have not noticed it in normal viewing, even with very dark shows like Haunting of Hill House.

As with most OLEDs there is a very slight colour shift at certain angles, probably most noticeable when watching things like football. It hasn't impacted on my viewing yet though.

I post a bit on the FZ802 thread over on avforums.com and the consensus is that Panasonic seem to do very well in this regard. Of course there are exceptions, but hopefully you can test it thoroughly before the return period is up.

Out of interest what was wrong with your LG panels?

sector4

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Guys,
Some of you might remember me as the guy who picked up the Sony Z9D over on the other site a while back. I'm moving to London, UK in a couple weeks, so I need to buy a new TV once I get there. Since the Z9F has worse black levels than the Z9D I think I'm going to go with OLED, and was wondering what the best one to go for is? I'm looking at the LG C8, Sony A8F and the Panasonic FZ802. Based on reviews I've tried to do a summary, can someone tell me if this is accurate?

I'm thinking maybe the C8 is the go, but would love some advice from people who own these TVs, even better if someone has owned multiple ones and preferred one over the other.

LG B8 / C8

Pros
+ Dolby Vision
+ Cheaper
+ Good OS
+ Pleasant design
+ Great input lag
+ Brightest HDR
+ All HDMI ports are 2.0

Cons
- LG Motion handling
- LG Upscaling

Sony A8F

Pros
+Dolby Vision
+Best Design (personal taste)
+Best upscaling and motion
+Best near black performance

Cons
-Android OS
-Expensive
-Dimmer HDR
-Worst Input lag
- Only 2 HDMI 2.0 ports

Panasonic

Pros
+ Best colour reproduction
+ Decent motion and upscaling
+ Decent price
+ Better OS than Sony
+ Great input lag
+ Brighter HDR than Sony
+ Better remote

Cons
- Issues with near black
- Worst design
- No Dolby Vision
- Only 2 HDMI 2.0 ports

Can someone tell me if that's accurate? This is what I've gathered from Vincent Teoh's videos on HDTV Test. There aren't many cons for the LG, and I'm not sure how bad they are? I'm not going to be watching much if any SD or Sub-HD content, so the second one is moot. What's their motion handling like? Can you get judder free 24fps content on the LG?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Vincent from HDTV test rated the
Hey Guys,
Some of you might remember me as the guy who picked up the Sony Z9D over on the other site a while back. I'm moving to London, UK in a couple weeks, so I need to buy a new TV once I get there. Since the Z9F has worse black levels than the Z9D I think I'm going to go with OLED, and was wondering what the best one to go for is? I'm looking at the LG C8, Sony A8F and the Panasonic FZ802. Based on reviews I've tried to do a summary, can someone tell me if this is accurate?

I'm thinking maybe the C8 is the go, but would love some advice from people who own these TVs, even better if someone has owned multiple ones and preferred one over the other.

LG B8 / C8

Pros
+ Dolby Vision
+ Cheaper
+ Good OS
+ Pleasant design
+ Great input lag
+ Brightest HDR
+ All HDMI ports are 2.0

Cons
- LG Motion handling
- LG Upscaling

Sony A8F

Pros
+Dolby Vision

Cons
-Android OS
-Expensive
-Dimmer HDR
-Worst Input lag
- Only 2 HDMI 2.0 ports

Panasonic

Pros
+ Decent price
+ Better OS than Sony
+ Great input lag
+ Brighter HDR than Sony
+ Better remote

Cons
- Issues with near black
- Worst design
- No Dolby Vision
- Only 2 HDMI 2.0 ports

Can someone tell me if that's accurate? This is what I've gathered from Vincent Teoh's videos on HDTV Test. There aren't many cons for the LG, and I'm not sure how bad they are? I'm not going to be watching much if any SD or Sub-HD content, so the second one is moot. What's their motion handling like? Can you get judder free 24fps content on the LG?

Personally I would get the A9F. Yes, it's very expensive but according to Vincent it has the least amount of edge enhancement in game mode. It also has the correct color gamut in game mode unlike LG. Further the A9F's dynamic tone mapping (beyond 5000 nits) is more refined than LG. The A9F also has the best color volume out of all OLEDs according to Rtings. For me all these are small but important enhancements are worth it. Your mileage may vary. :)

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Guys,

LG B8 / C8

Pros
+ Dolby Vision
+ Cheaper
+ Good OS
+ Pleasant design
+ Great input lag
+ Brightest HDR
+ All HDMI ports are 2.0

Cons
- LG Motion handling
- LG Upscaling

Sony A8F

Pros
+Dolby Vision

Cons
-Android OS
-Expensive
-Dimmer HDR
-Worst Input lag
- Only 2 HDMI 2.0 ports

Panasonic

Pros
+ Decent price
+ Better OS than Sony
+ Great input lag
+ Brighter HDR than Sony
+ Better remote

Cons
- Issues with near black
- Worst design
- No Dolby Vision
- Only 2 HDMI 2.0 ports

Panasonic FZ owner here.

"Worst design"

Ha. The design was what swung the Panasonic to me over the LG (I hate the curved stand) or the Sony (leaning back design was a big no-no).

I love the understated look of the Panny and love the TV in general.