• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sector4

Oct 25, 2017
Vincent from HDTV test rated the

Personally I would get the A9F. Yes, it's very expensive but according to Vincent it has the least amount of edge enhancement in game mode. It also has the correct color gamut in game mode unlike LG. Further the A9F's dynamic tone mapping (beyond 5000 nits) is more refined than LG. The A9F also has the best color volume out of all OLEDs according to Rtings. For me all these are small but important enhancements are worth it. Your mileage may vary. :)
Ahh I would, but I'm only moving to the UK for 2 years, so that one is a little bit too expensive for a 2 year TV. It's probably between the other three as they're more in the range I'm willing to spend.

Panasonic FZ owner here.

"Worst design"

Ha. The design was what swung the Panasonic to me over the LG (I hate the curved stand) or the Sony (leaning back design was a big no-no).

I love the understated look of the Panny and love the TV in general.
Hahaha apologies, as I said in brackets (personal taste), design is of course purely subjective haha, it just looks a little bit standard compared to the others which isn't a bad thing! I just love the design of the Sony (the A8F doesn't lean back at all afaik)edit: just saw a side on image and it does! WELP haha screw that then, and I don't mind the look of the LG at all.

How is the TV in general? Picture quality, motion handling, etc have you noticed much black crush in the near blacks? Panasonic was the first one I was initially leaning towards.

Last edited:

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the A9F and finished setting up. Coming from an LG B6 this is a solid step up in colors, motion, and image processing. Build quality and design are super nice too, kind of remind me of the Pioneer Kuro Elites.
Nice!

The remote on the UK version of the 802 is junk. I replaced it with a Harmony Elite. Why have a top of the range TV with a budget remote?
Nice. Yeah, eventually I want to finally get one of these.

Last edited:

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
How is the TV in general? Picture quality, motion handling, etc have you noticed much black crush in the near blacks? Panasonic was the first one I was initially leaning towards.

I love it. Coming from a 7y/o plasma and the improvements are huge. The plasma was very prone to short lived image retention which the OLED doesn't suffer from. Motion seem comparable. Image quality in general is massively improved.

Haven't experienced any black crush, except for the TV's and PS4Pros automatic RGB ranges not playing together. Manually set them to limited and black crush went away.

Even the in-built media player is decent. I struggle to see any improvement when I hook my laptop up and use VLC.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vincent from HDTV test rated the

Personally I would get the A9F. Yes, it's very expensive but according to Vincent it has the least amount of edge enhancement in game mode. It also has the correct color gamut in game mode unlike LG. Further the A9F's dynamic tone mapping (beyond 5000 nits) is more refined than LG. The A9F also has the best color volume out of all OLEDs according to Rtings. For me all these are small but important enhancements are worth it. Your mileage may vary. :)

Not sure I'd agree with this. The Panasonic is more accurate colour-wise than the A9F both out of the box and after calibration. Also unless it is recently fixed, Sony's Dolby Vision support is very poorly implemented. Not a problem on the Panny of course, because it doesn't support DV ;)

The Sony doesn't do enough for me to justify an extra £1000.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who here has Vizio p? Good?

Except for viewing angles, really good. Probably one of the best sets out there if you need incredibly bright 4k HDR to work well in a typically brightly lit room - provided you're not staring at it from more than a 30 degree angle.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
So, my new C8 might have a faulty HDMI ARC port :/ What are all the settings I need to set for ARC? Maybe, hopefully something is interfering with it.

Edit: Should describe the issue -> Random audio drops when playing from USB or Netflix. The sound is gone completely for about 1 second and then comes back on. Happens randomly, no fixed intervals.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
So does anyone have any experience with the Samsung Q8FN? Thinking of getting a 55" one to replace my aging 32" Samsung EH5000 TV.

This would be mainly for gaming on my Switch and PC, with input lag being one of my bigger concerns. I'm not too attached to the Q8FN, specifically, at this point, so if you have a better suggestion I'd be willing to look into it, but 55" is a pretty hard maximum (I only have about 56" of horizontal space to work with, and I'm going to need to fit a stand there, too) and OLED is out of the question (I'd get anxiety about burn in, especially with how I use my TVs (as I'm typing this, I think I've had the Switch menu just sitting up there for like 2-3 hours, and this is not an uncommon occurrence)).

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, just read that a new update for my A1E was released with that update to Android Oreo for the redesigned and much faster UI. Nice!
Wasn't even sure a slightly older set like this would get it. Hopefully the update download triggers for me tomorrow!
Sounds like the internal Youtube app now finally supports HDR too.

Whats wrong with Sony's Dolby Vision support?
According to Vincent it's darker than it should be which also effects highlights of course, he theorizes that it might have been to compensate for currently unintended extra posterization during DV, using his comparison to the Panasonic OLED.
Elsewhere it sounds like it might be more noticeable in the internal Netflix app compared to HDMI sources. Though I don't currently have Netflix, or another high end TV to compare to, so all I can say is that I haven't really noticed with discs since I've found a bunch of my DV discs to look really good over the past few months before reading about the issue.

Some people in the AVS Forum are saying the just released update improves this and now Dolby Vision content is brighter than before, though it just came out so it's only one or two people so far so we'll see. The update sounds quite promising on multiple fronts both with the Android OS, potential DV improvement, and some of the apps.

Last edited:

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Just got my B8 (I looked up playtime on games and it seems I was worrying too much), but I feel like motion is a bit juddery when playing games (aka tomb raider, Xbox one). Any ideas?

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, just read that a new update for my A1E was released with that update to Android Oreo for the redesigned and much faster UI. Nice!
Wasn't even sure a slightly older set like this would get it. Hopefully the update download triggers for me tomorrow!

Your set will most likely get Android P as well. Sony are updating all the way back to mid-2016 TVs with 8.0 Oreo. Prepare to wait a couple of years though ;)

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, my new C8 might have a faulty HDMI ARC port :/ What are all the settings I need to set for ARC? Maybe, hopefully something is interfering with it.

Edit: Should describe the issue -> Random audio drops when playing from USB or Netflix. The sound is gone completely for about 1 second and then comes back on. Happens randomly, no fixed intervals.

What are you connecting to the ARC port? Sound bar? If you can, you should check if maybe the device you're connecting to it is the one having issues by connecting something else to that port.

I've never experienced anything like that, so if it still happens it might be a bad ARC port :(

Oct 30, 2017
What are you connecting to the ARC port? Sound bar? If you can, you should check if maybe the device you're connecting to it is the one having issues by connecting something else to that port.

I've never experienced anything like that, so if it still happens it might be a bad ARC port :(
I am connecting it to a Marantz SR6013 and everything else works perfectly. The ARC connection of my previous TV also worked flawlessly. Yep, might be a faulty port. Gonna see what the LG support can do OR I just use Netflix on the other devices xD

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So does anyone have any experience with the Samsung Q8FN? Thinking of getting a 55" one to replace my aging 32" Samsung EH5000 TV.

This would be mainly for gaming on my Switch and PC, with input lag being one of my bigger concerns. I'm not too attached to the Q8FN, specifically, at this point, so if you have a better suggestion I'd be willing to look into it, but 55" is a pretty hard maximum (I only have about 56" of horizontal space to work with, and I'm going to need to fit a stand there, too) and OLED is out of the question (I'd get anxiety about burn in, especially with how I use my TVs (as I'm typing this, I think I've had the Switch menu just sitting up there for like 2-3 hours, and this is not an uncommon occurrence)).

If input lag is you biggest concern, then the Samsung sets are your best bet for this.
If you are switch and PC, then is HDR a big deal for you?

If it's not then you could look at one of the cheaper models. The reason the Q8FN QLED sets are so much more is due to their colour and peak brightness abilities.

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
Uniformity is really good. There is some very minor banding at 2-5% grey if you sit close to the screen in a dark room, but it is almost imperceptible after that. I have not noticed it in normal viewing, even with very dark shows like Haunting of Hill House.

As with most OLEDs there is a very slight colour shift at certain angles, probably most noticeable when watching things like football. It hasn't impacted on my viewing yet though.

I post a bit on the FZ802 thread over on avforums.com and the consensus is that Panasonic seem to do very well in this regard. Of course there are exceptions, but hopefully you can test it thoroughly before the return period is up.

Out of interest what was wrong with your LG panels?
Great to hear. Panasonic doing well in that regard is what I've gathered as well, and it's one of the reasons I want one.

I've had a few sets with bad uniformity, but it's primarily the bad near black handling, bad motion interpolation and terrible Game Mode which is making me switch brands.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great to hear. Panasonic doing well in that regard is what I've gathered as well, and it's one of the reasons I want one.

I've had a few sets with bad uniformity, but it's primarily the bad near black handling, bad motion interpolation and terrible Game Mode which is making me switch brands.

Speaking of near black performance, according to Vincent the Z9F has one of the best near black performance of any TV he has ever reviewed, and uniformity on that set seems impressive too.

The only problem with that TV is the terrible contrast that kinda makes its 1900 nit output (contrast in HDR is even worse than SDR according to him) almost pointless. But for everything else it seems like one of the most picture accurate TVs ever made, and probably why it scored so high in the latest shootout.

emilegc

Nov 1, 2017

This happens to me only when using the built in apps on the tv, but I'm not sure if it happens while playing something through USB, and I think it only happens when the TV sends a Dolby Atmos output. Fortunately for me, I prefer not to use my audio setup for Netflix, and in case I want to watch something from VUDU and the like, I have an ATV4K for that.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your set will most likely get Android P and maybe Android Q as well. Sony are updating all the way back to mid-2016 TVs with 8.0 Oreo. Prepare to wait a couple of years though ;)
So will the X930E get it too?

According to Vincent it's darker than it should be which also effects highlights of course, he theorizes that it might have been to compensate for currently unintended extra posterization during DV, using his comparison to the Panasonic OLED.
Elsewhere it sounds like it might be more noticeable in the internal Netflix app compared to HDMI sources. Though I don't currently have Netflix, or another high end TV to compare to, so all I can say is that I haven't really noticed with discs since I've found a bunch of my DV discs to look really good over the past few months before reading about the issue.

Some people in the AVS Forum are saying the just released update improves this and now Dolby Vision content is brighter than before, though it just came out so it's only one or two people so far so we'll see. The update sounds quite promising on multiple fronts both with the Android OS, potential DV improvement, and some of the apps.
Oooh hopefully X930E gets this one too.

Oct 30, 2017
This happens to me only when using the built in apps on the tv, but I'm not sure if it happens while playing something through USB, and I think it only happens when the TV sends a Dolby Atmos output. Fortunately for me, I prefer not to use my audio setup for Netflix, and in case I want to watch something from VUDU and the like, I have an ATV4K for that.
Interesting point, gonna play around with some settings once I find the time, thank you. It happened via USB playing Dolby Atmos demos, si you may be in to something.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
A new firmware update is available in the EU for the LG B7, it says it changes the HDR luminance curve. Has anyone tested this yet?

It seems to be the same update the 8 series just got.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
When do you think you'll get a new set?
Whenever we actually know wtf is going on w/ VRR probably?

Supposedly QD-OLED is the holy grail of improving OLED color/peak nits while maintaining absolute blacks, so assuming they can figure out yields (which could take years), maybe it would be one of those? I'd love bigger, but VRR would probably be the main thing I think. PC gaming is kind of a shit show sometimes w/ having to mess w/ v sync.

I kinda hope to stick with my set until PlayStation 6 and that 4K 3D is a long way off...
4K 3D?

Oct 30, 2017

Supposedly QD-OLED is the holy grail of improving OLED color/peak nits while maintaining absolute blacks, so assuming they can figure out yields (which could take years), maybe it would be one of those? I'd love bigger, but VRR would probably be the main thing I think. PC gaming is kind of a shit show sometimes w/ having to mess w/ v sync.

4K 3D?
Yeah, 4K per eye 3D, not sure how to put it. Like the next step after the current 3D specs we have? Or is it 4K in general and not per eye? xD

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are already saying the change to top emission will allow LG's WOLED tech to go well above 1000 nits, some even saying as high as 2000 nits peak brightness. I definitely think late 2020/2021 is the next time to buy a TV if you have a '16-'18 model.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I've been curious to see these "fake" HDR sets in action. I've gone from a Sony 850D, to a Samsung KS8000, to an LG B7 over the past few years. Hopped on a Samsung nu6900 on black Friday, less than 400 bucks for the 55 inch. We needed a new bedroom TV to replace our old RCA DLP (lol). I'm actually really impressed. The smart function stuff is terrible, but in SDR the PQ is almost on par with my KS8000. HDR actually is better than I expected too. I could give a fuck less about my bedroom TV having HDR, but this fake HDR set ain't to shabby. No WCG, but the blacks are really decent for a non-FALD edge lit display, and highlights still push a couple hundred nits above SDR. It's not mind blowing like my OLED, but it looks very nice.

Now if anybody knows how to disable this TV plus app that auto launches when I turn off my ps4 I'm all ears, what a load of garbage.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah, 4K per eye 3D, not sure how to put it. Like the next step after the current 3D specs we have? Or is it 4K in general and not per eye? xD
I would assume there is not another version of 3D coming any time soon based on the complete and utter lack of success in the consumer market.
Some people are already saying the change to top emission will allow LG's WOLED tech to go well above 1000 nits, some even saying as high as 2000 nits peak brightness. I definitely think late 2020/2021 is the next time to buy a TV if you have a '16-'18 model.
Is there an article about this somewhere? Wasn't even aware LG was working on "OLED 2.0" and would like to read more about it.

Oct 30, 2017
I would assume there is not another version of 3D coming any time soon based on the complete and utter lack of success in the consumer market.
That is true. Cameron said something about re-inventing the 3D wheel with the next Avatar movies IIRC, but not sure what it really is.

On another note: I solved the problem with the HDMI ARC sound. When you set the audio output of the ARC to "automatic", the sound will drop randomly, with PCM it does not.

Edit: Credit goes to emilegc for pointing it out.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
That is true. Cameron said something about re-inventing the 3D wheel with the next Avatar movies IIRC, but not sure what it really is.

On another note: I solved the problem with the HDMI ARC sound. When you set the audio output of the ARC to "automatic", the sound will drop randomly, with PCM it does not.

Edit: Credit goes to emilegc for pointing it out.
Oh, for theaters, I have no doubt 3D will continue to be successful, both as something people want to see as well as, in turn, driving incremental revenue for studios/theaters.

I'd be very surprised to see it make a comeback in any sort of consumer TV. You already have things like VR that do immersion "better" than 3D on TVs, and there are still way too many logistical hurdles for 3D in the home that aren't worth solving (or at least weren't the first time around, and none of the fundamentals have changed materially)

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, unfortunately reasonably priced QDOLED sets in 75" or up are probably years away. I wish it was sooner.

Oct 26, 2017
You guessed right, there is a white balance calibration option in the service menu, this might fixed your green tinge.

First steps
Video settings on Xbox
switch to 1080p, 10 bit colour and PC full range.
If you want to skew this calibration towards HDR content check the YUV 4:2:2

In the youtube app on the Xbox run this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_rR5qWN30

go into the service menu and go down to ADC/WB
go to the ADC Result screen and take a photo of these settings as backup
look at the white balance screen and take a photo of this screen as backup.

When you've got a note of those screens, ensuring that the youtube video is runnin in the backgrounf
You don't want ANYTHING else on screen, no play buttons, pause buttons etc.

go to HDMI calibration and chose left or right. All bring well you'll see the screen changin a little and eventually the service menu will change from wait to success (I had to do it a couple of times as it failed)

Of course because entering the service menu changes all of the picture settings, you'll need to set everything up again, but hopefully your green tinge will be gone.

Hey man. All was well until I got to the part about HDMI Calibration. I can't find this in the service menu. Where do I look for this?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an article about this somewhere? Wasn't even aware LG was working on "OLED 2.0" and would like to read more about it.

I can't find any article that would aggregate all the information unfortunately, best bet is just reading the OLED advancement thread over on AVSforum but LG has been talking about the top emission process since 2017. It's necessary in order to manufacture large screen 8K OLEDs with proper brightness.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah, unfortunately reasonably priced QDOLED sets in 75" or up are probably years away. I wish it was sooner.
Yep.

Honestly, if VRR gets sorted out this year or next year, I could see a 77" stop gap OLED somewhere between there and whenever QD-OLED is ready for prime time.
I can't find any article that would aggregate all the information unfortunately, best bet is just reading the OLED advancement thread over on AVSforum but LG has been talking about the top emission process since 2017. It's necessary in order to manufacture large screen 8K OLEDs with proper brightness.
Got it. Will check out that thread. Thanks.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
A new firmware update is available in the EU for the LG B7, it says it changes the HDR luminance curve. Has anyone tested this yet?

It seems to be the same update the 8 series just got.

Interesting, just seen that! 2 firmwares in quick succession, not sure whether to update.

Especially as I'm really pleased with the elevated black fix in the last one.

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Why won't LG just patch in the ability to change SDR Game color gamut? I hate switching to PC for SDR and getting worse banding.

I don't know, pretty stupid tbh.

Looking at the notes I don't think the HDR luminance change applies to 2017 models, as it states Webos 4.0 018, 2017 is 3.8....