• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Some people are already saying the change to top emission will allow LG's WOLED tech to go well above 1000 nits, some even saying as high as 2000 nits peak brightness. I definitely think late 2020/2021 is the next time to buy a TV if you have a '16-'18 model.

Yep. I was already going to wait for 2020 anyway. HDMI 2.1 should be on their sets by then and maybe we'll see VRR, but unless AMD does something magical GPU wise, it's not going to matter if the consoles don't use it either.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Install the update on my B7. WebOS is 3.8.0-61105 so only a tiny update there.
Oh and still Game mode is dim and no where near cinema home.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the long post, I'm really struggling quite a bit with which TV to buy here...

I'm coming off a 55" KS8500 that I absolutely love, but my wife and I bought a house and I have the room and funds for a 65", so I'm selling the KS8500 and going bigger.

I currently have a Samsung Q6FN in the living room. I got it Thanksgiving week for $1,050 as an open box and couldn't pass up the deal. It's basically a perfect SDR/Gaming TV, but it really lacks a punch in HDR content compared to the KS8500 I'm coming off of. I have Best Buy Elite Plus, so I can return it guilt free up until February 11th and I plan to...as soon as I find a suitable replacement.

I'm considering the following sets...

X900F
Pros - Price, HDR Picture Quality, Motion Handling
Cons - 1080p Input Lag, Style (not a fan of the legs), Lacking HDMI 2.0 Ports (I have 3 sources, this TV has 2 ports)

Vizio P Quantum
Pros - Style, HDR Quality, Low Input Lag all around, HDR Brightness, 5th HDMI Port (nice to have)
Cons - Availability (sold out everywhere after the BF sale price) and Smart Platform (not a fan of Chromecast and native apps are slow)

Samsung Q8FN
Pros - Low Input Lag with Interpolation (I like it for 30fps single player games), Style, SDR picture quality, Smart Platform
Cons - Price, HDR Luminance still seems pretty low

LG OLEDS (C8/B8)
Concerns - I'm a little worried about HDR Luminance, it doesn't seem to get too much brighter than the Q6FN and while I know that the blacks are perfectly dark, I'm still having trouble visualizing how well bright highlights will pop based on the nit output. I'm not overly concerned about burn-in as I only game about 10 hours a week max and rarely for more than 2-3 hours at a time (maybe once a week if that). Also, and this is a silly concern, I just don't love the style of the TV. I prefer wide-set feet to the center stand as I use a soundbar that I can squeeze between them. The LG is also set really low on the stand, so I think my soundbar would sit in front of the bottom of the panel.

I know there's no perfect TV but I'm thinking that the Vizio P Quantum is closest for me if I could only find one. At that point though, I'm having trouble spending $2100 on one when only a few hundred more would get me an OLED. Are there any P Quantum owners in the thread? Is this set really as good as it seems based on reviews?

I know there are a lot of OLED owners in this thread, so I'm curious if any of you wrestled with the same concerns as me before jumping in and what you think of your purchase now?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not concerned about price or burn-in, I don't see a reason to choose an LCD over OLED in all honesty. Peak brightness on highlights is not a real concern, there's a reason 700 nit OLEDs keep crushing 2000 nit LCD's in head to head shootouts.

I went from a KS8000 to an LG B7 and the Samsung was really not even close in HDR performance despite having double the brightness.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
X900F
Cons - 1080p Input Lag, Style (not a fan of the legs), Lacking HDMI 2.0 Ports (I have 3 sources, this TV has 2 ports)

Save some pennies for a proper AVR, if you're spending so much on a TV then you might as well have audio to match it, that'll solve this "lack" of HDMI 2.0 ports.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Save some pennies for a proper AVR, if you're spending so much on a TV then you might as well have audio to match it, that'll solve this "lack" of HDMI 2.0 ports.

It's in the plan for a few years down the road. My living room is wood paneled and my wife and I want to change it to a plastered wall, so when we do that, I'll wire up the room for a nice Atmos setup, but it'll be a bit before that happens. For now I have a Vizio 5.1 soundbar (with wireless satellites) that I'm pretty happy with for normal movie watching.

If you're not concerned about price or burn-in, I don't see a reason to choose an LCD over OLED in all honesty. Peak brightness on highlights is not a real concern, there's a reason 700 nit OLEDs keep crushing 2000 nit LCD's in head to head shootouts.

I went from a KS8000 to an LG B7 and the Samsung was really not even close in HDR performance despite having double the brightness.

Thanks for the heads up! It's really hard to tell what you're going to be happy with without actually seeing things side by side or at least seeing the same content back to back on different sets. I watched Spider-Man Homecoming the other day in HDR on my Q6FN and something just seemed off. The picture was pretty dim overall without the highlights I'd expect from things like sunshine on people's faces, so I went back and hooked up the KS8500 and compared a few scenes (dark and bright) and the Q6 is a pretty clear drop-off in overall HDR brightness. Dark scenes are just a little too dark and bright scenes don't pop the way they should.

I have an open counter-offer on Greentoe right now for a C8 65" at $2299 (inclusive of taxes/shipping) and I may end up just taking it. Will have to chat with my wife again tonight and see what she's thinking (although I'm guessing the thinking at this point is "you're ridiculous, just buy a TV).

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how they backtrack all the shit talking they've done about OLED lol.

Would be an impressive feat if they can get those OLEDs out before 2022 at competitive prices with LG Display OLEDs.

Some people are already saying the change to top emission will allow LG's WOLED tech to go well above 1000 nits, some even saying as high as 2000 nits peak brightness. I definitely think late 2020/2021 is the next time to buy a TV if you have a '16-'18 model.

That would be too damn bright lol, my C8 already feels too bright in some HDR highlights.

I've been curious to see these "fake" HDR sets in action. I've gone from a Sony 850D, to a Samsung KS8000, to an LG B7 over the past few years. Hopped on a Samsung nu6900 on black Friday, less than 400 bucks for the 55 inch. We needed a new bedroom TV to replace our old RCA DLP (lol). I'm actually really impressed. The smart function stuff is terrible, but in SDR the PQ is almost on par with my KS8000. HDR actually is better than I expected too. I could give a fuck less about my bedroom TV having HDR, but this fake HDR set ain't to shabby. No WCG, but the blacks are really decent for a non-FALD edge lit display, and highlights still push a couple hundred nits above SDR. It's not mind blowing like my OLED, but it looks very nice.

Now if anybody knows how to disable this TV plus app that auto launches when I turn off my ps4 I'm all ears, what a load of garbage.

The Samsung 6 and 7 series are great budget sets if you don't care about HDR for sure.

Sorry for the long post, I'm really struggling quite a bit with which TV to buy here...

I'm coming off a 55" KS8500 that I absolutely love, but my wife and I bought a house and I have the room and funds for a 65", so I'm selling the KS8500 and going bigger.

I currently have a Samsung Q6FN in the living room. I got it Thanksgiving week for $1,050 as an open box and couldn't pass up the deal. It's basically a perfect SDR/Gaming TV, but it really lacks a punch in HDR content compared to the KS8500 I'm coming off of. I have Best Buy Elite Plus, so I can return it guilt free up until February 11th and I plan to...as soon as I find a suitable replacement.

X900F

Vizio P Quantum
Pros - Style, HDR Quality, Low Input Lag all around, HDR Brightness, 5th HDMI Port (nice to have)
Cons - Availability (sold out everywhere after the BF sale price) and Smart Platform (not a fan of Chromecast and native apps are slow)

Samsung Q8FN
Pros - Low Input Lag with Interpolation (I like it for 30fps single player games), Style, SDR picture quality, Smart Platform

LG OLEDS (C8/B8)
Concerns - I'm a little worried about HDR Luminance, it doesn't seem to get too much brighter than the Q6FN and while I know that the blacks are perfectly dark, I'm still having trouble visualizing how well bright highlights will pop based on the nit output. I'm not overly concerned about burn-in as I only game about 10 hours a week max and rarely for more than 2-3 hours at a time (maybe once a week if that). Also, and this is a silly concern, I just don't love the style of the TV. I prefer wide-set feet to the center stand as I use a soundbar that I can squeeze between them. The LG is also set really low on the stand, so I think my soundbar would sit in front of the bottom of the panel.

I know there's no perfect TV but I'm thinking that the Vizio P Quantum is closest for me if I could only find one. At that point though, I'm having trouble spending $2100 on one when only a few hundred more would get me an OLED. Are there any P Quantum owners in the thread? Is this set really as good as it seems based on reviews?

I know there are a lot of OLED owners in this thread, so I'm curious if any of you wrestled with the same concerns as me before jumping in and what you think of your purchase now?

I had the X900F and now I have a C8 and I still watch similar content on both. I can tell you the C8 has way more impressive and bright HDR highlights than the X900F, easily.

OLED nit count (and nit count in general) can be misleading, there is a reason OLED TVs win the HDR section of the various TV shootouts experts do year after year.

The C8 is the best TV on the market for HDR right now.

edit: now that I remember, That Naive Cube!! recently went from a P Quantum to a C8 and was still impressed with the HDR on the C8.

Last edited:

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have luck on eBay with TV purchases before? Just saw a seller called five-star-buy is selling the 65" C8 for $2,099 here.

I had the X900F and now I have a C8 and I still watch similar content on both. I can tell you the C8 has way more impressive and bright HDR highlights than the X900F, easily.

OLED nit count (and nit count in general) can be misleading, there is a reason OLED TVs win the HDR section of the various TV shootouts experts do year after year.

The C8 is the best TV on the market for HDR right now.

edit: now that I remember, That Naive Cube!! recently went from a P Quantum to a C8 and was still impressed with the HDR on the C8.

Ugh, I'm really gonna buy this damn TV, aren't I? haha

EDIT: Anyone know if this text list at the bottom of this is authorized or unauthorized resellers? I see fivestarbuy on there, but the wording on the site is a little misleading.

EDIT 2: Newegg is on that text list, so I'm going to go ahead and assume that means we're good. I just bought a C8, I guess!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Well, what the fuck. I disabled HDMI CEC on the Q9FN and yet it STILL powers on the Xbox One X. This is starting to annoy the hell out of me. It's crazy but it seems like there's just no way around this, is there?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Well, what the fuck. I disabled HDMI CEC on the Q9FN and yet it STILL powers on the Xbox One X. This is starting to annoy the hell out of me. It's crazy but it seems like there's just no way around this, is there?

It's not happening via CEC, the universal remote is doing it. You need to remove the device (xbox) from that.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I've been playing a lot of RDR2 on my new C8 lately and it looks great. Only thing that bothers me is the "motion blur".. I don't know exactly how to call it. If you played it, you probably know what I mean. Especially during fast camera movements and while riding the edges of the screen get really blurry.

Is there any way to fix or at least lessen this effect or is it just the way this game is? I'm already on game mode, so TruMotion is off by default.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I could use some help answering kind of an odd question. I'm about to pull the trigger on either a 49-inch or 55-inch X900F, but my concern is that my apartment's electrical setup is too old/shitty for how much power they draw. Currently, we're using a modest Sony KDL40W600B (a 40-inch LCD), which, as far as my research tells me, only uses 41.7W. According to Sony's website, the 49-inch and 55-inch X900F TVs use 177 and 224 W, respectively. Can someone confirm that I'm comparing these values correctly? If I already have issues using too many electrical appliances in my apartment, is the X900F basically guaranteed to not work for me? We have a beefy receiver and bookshelf speakers, which definitely don't help. :(

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone got the Oreo update on Bravia?
I got it on my X800D, but I had to download it through Sony's support site. It was available there before it was OTA. A lot of people had dimming issues, but I didn't experience it personally, but I did factory reset my TV anyways... just something I do for any major version change.

No Oreo update for my A8F's yet, though. I don't expect that to come out until later.

Oct 26, 2017
It's not happening via CEC, the universal remote is doing it. You need to remove the device (xbox) from that.

Yep I have it working as I wanted now. I really liked how it would show the Xbox logo or controller in the sources tab on the Q9FN, the Xbox source now just says unknown with a HDMI 1 input logo. Wish I could just have the Xbox logo there but it seems that requires to add the Xbox to the remote again. No way!

Kinda unfortunate. Because I really DO like how I can control the dashboard (although I barely use it that way, but still) with the remote. But having the X constantly powering on when I don't want it is annoying as shit.

Oh by the way, I didn't get rid of the green tinge completely but it does seem slightly less worse. But I could be imagining that too. I fired up some of those Calman backgrounds and the DSE is in full effect on some very dark grey backgrounds. Especially the 03-5% gray one.

During gaming it's not nearly as bad though and I think I'm gonna stick with this panel. One look on AVS and I heard about much worse cases and it's always a lottery with these panels.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yep I have it working as I wanted now. I really liked how it would show the Xbox logo or controller in the sources tab on the Q9FN, the Xbox source now just says unknown with a HDMI 1 input logo. Wish I could just have the Xbox logo there but it seems that requires to add the Xbox to the remote again. No way!

Kinda unfortunate. Because I really DO like how I can control the dashboard (although I barely use it that way, but still) with the remote. But having the X constantly powering on when I don't want it is annoying as shit.

Oh by the way, I didn't get rid of the green tinge completely but it does seem slightly less worse. But I could be imagining that too. I fired up some of those Calman backgrounds and the DSE is in full effect on some very dark grey backgrounds. Especially the 03-5% gray one.

During gaming it's not nearly as bad though and I think I'm gonna stick with this panel. One look on AVS and I heard about much worse cases and it's always a lottery with these panels.

You could always just put some tape over the IR port on your XBOX if you don't intend to use any other IR remotes with it. That way the Samsung remote's signals won't ever reach it.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I'm sure this has already been answered in this thread, but I'll ask it anyway:

Should I turn on PC mode for the HDMI input on my LG C8? It connects to my stereo receiver which connects to my PS4, Apple TV, Switch, etc. I've heard conflicting reports that it improves the picture and that it worsens the picture. Is there any final consensus on this?

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who here has Vizio p? Good?
Thanks for asking this. I was interested in this because Costco currently has the 75" for about as much as it would cost for the 65" C8 when it was at its lowest ($1900). I keep second guessing my C8 plans, but I'm coming from a plasma and will be watching/playing almost exclusively in a pitch black basement, so I keep talking myself back to the C8.

Anyone have luck on eBay with TV purchases before? Just saw a seller called five-star-buy is selling the 65" C8 for $2,099 here.
According to slickdeals, you can get an offer matched for $2,099 with an authorized dealer on Greentoe. I have no experience in eBay or Greentoe, but that seems like a better way to go. (Though according to your edit, it may not matter! Congrats!)

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
According to slickdeals, you can get an offer matched for $2,099 with an authorized dealer on Greentoe. I have no experience in eBay or Greentoe, but that seems like a better way to go. (Though according to your edit, it may not matter! Congrats!)

Yeah I've had a greentoe offer up for 2,099 for a few days but the best counter I've seen is 2,299. I dropped my offer to $1k so it won't get accepted (you can't delete an offer until it expires) since I was able to get the eBay price for $2,099. (Thanks!)

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
I got it on my X800D, but I had to download it through Sony's support site. It was available there before it was OTA. A lot of people had dimming issues, but I didn't experience it personally, but I did factory reset my TV anyways... just something I do for any major version change.

No Oreo update for my A8F's yet, though. I don't expect that to come out until later.
Do you have HDR on YouTube? Is it faster then 7.0?

Oct 30, 2017
Hello, I need some thoughts on Sony 55X9000F:

https://www.sony.com/en-ae/electronics/televisions/x9000f-series

It priced 1578$ In my country.

Jump in now since I already have PS4 Pro... or wait two more years and snap one with the release of PS5.

I wanted Sony Oled but it's not in my country at the moment.

My Current TV is an awesome 1080p 50inch Sony Bravia from 4 years ago runs perfectly fine with gorgeous picture quality.

Wait two more years or jump in now?

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus I guess it's one of those where it just seems to go wrong for some reason.

For some reason it won't let me activate "auto" for the game mode. It's greyed out and I can't select it. This was fine earlier today but it's now like this since I did the few things in the service menu. Guess I'm gonna factory reset the TV.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

X900F

Vizio P Quantum

Samsung Q8FN

LG OLEDS (C8/B8)

I went from a Ks8000 to an lg B7. Huge, gigantic step up in HDR content. Highlights look even brighter than the KS8000 thanks to the perfect black levels. The contrast of an OLED seriously blows everything else away. Don't worry about it at all and go with an OLED imo.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Afaik HDR was not available on YT 🤔

Thanks for your info!
Hmm... interesting. I can say that I'm able to watch HDR content on the YouTube app on both 7.0 and 8.0. :) It's possible that the YouTube app may have been updated recently (startup logo is a bit different) to support this feature. I cannot recall!

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I went from a Ks8000 to an lg B7. Huge, gigantic step up in HDR content. Highlights look even brighter than the KS8000 thanks to the perfect black levels. The contrast of an OLED seriously blows everything else away. Don't worry about it at all and go with an OLED imo.

Thanks! I bought the C8 65" this morning so hopefully it doesn't take forever to get delivered. Can't wait to check it out!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hmm... interesting. I can say that I'm able to watch HDR content on the YouTube app on both 7.0 and 8.0. :) It's possible that the YouTube app may have been updated recently (startup logo is a bit different) to support this feature. I cannot recall!

You can watch HdR content on any version of YouTube, it's just tonemapped to SDR.
If you turn the stats on your can see which codec it's using, if it's Vp9 profile 2 then it's probably HDR

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can watch HdR content on any version of YouTube, it's just tonemapped to SDR.
If you turn the stats on your can see which codec it's using, if it's Vp9 profile 2 then it's probably HDR
Tell that to the YouTube app on my PS4 Pro. I haven't been able to get HDR to work on there ever... even if I cast. Do you know of a way to enable HDR on there?

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, that OLED video is nuts. It just shows that no panel is the same because there are plenty people that have these issues.

But I did have issues, a lot, with the B6. And it's a shame because I did like the TV a lot. It was known though that the B6 has IR issues but I don't get it because the EC930 OLED didn't have any IR at all. And it did have an amazing picture.

The dude in the video says he has it for a year, but does that mean he's out of luck? LG doesn't cover burn in in their warranty do they?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, that OLED video is nuts. It just shows that no panel is the same because there are plenty people that have these issues.

But I did have issues, a lot, with the B6. And it's a shame because I did like the TV a lot. It was known though that the B6 has IR issues but I don't get it because the EC930 OLED didn't have any IR at all. And it did have an amazing picture.

The dude in the video says he has it for a year, but does that mean he's out of luck? LG doesn't cover burn in in their warranty do they?

You can't really draw any conclusions from stuff like that.

That being said, and like I've said before, someone that plays a game like Overwatch a lot is better off getting an LCD.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch is probably the #2 burn-in offender right behind CNN. Those 2 seem to account for like 2/3rds of the burn-in stories I've seen.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I play a decent amount of Fortnite so I have some light concerns about burn-in on the C8 I just ordered, but we're talking 5-10 hours a week on the high end, so I can't imagine that would cause significant burn-in if I use things like pixel-shift and pixel refresh.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
One more question regarding the X100F:

If we're going to be watching mostly 1080p content (standard Blu-rays and streaming movies), is 55 inches going to be too big if we only sit about 6 feet from the screen? Still waffling between 49 and 55. :/