• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
I've been wondering about this for a long time now, really ever since my first HDTV, which was a Samsung years ago.

As a big gamer but also loves to watch shows and movies... would I truly benefit from finding a professional calibrator in my area for my Samsung Q9FN? I mean people always say "what I have as my picture settings doesn't have to mean you will like these too" which is true. And often I find settings by sites such as Rtings to be rather... dull, well for gaming especially.

So who's to say I will love or really hate the changes a professional calibrator makes to my TV? I would want him to calibrate it for both gaming and shows/movies. I definitely expect that I'm gonna have to adjust to the changes for a while and hopefully will come to appreciate them.

Anyone here that has had their TV(s) calibrated before and ending up loving the results? It's not cheap and it's gonna be kind of a gamble really.

Oh and does a calibrator just make some changes to the TV settings or does he also dive into the service menu?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Umm, what's going on here? P40L0 says the new B7 update makes non-metadata HDR signals bright now, so bright HDR Game Mode on PS4 and Xbox One.
Oh...my...god, guys.

They actually DID IT!
OJMm7KU.gif

I just upgraded to 5.80.10 and immediately launched Forza Horizon 4 still tuned at 4.000 nits, and I NEVER saw the Winter season so bright in HDR Game (non-PC) mode before.
I immediately started to switch back and forth HDR Game and calibrated HDR Technicolor Expert (with Active HDR) and I was literally stunned by their similarity. They're 99% the same now.

To get further confirmation I also tried using the new HDR Game with: webOS YouTube HDR videos, 4K/HDR Blu-Rays and other 4.000 nits mastered HDR games (as Battlefield 1) and cannot be placebo, HDR Game is now almost identical to HDR Technicolor + Active HDR. (Planet Earth 2 4K/HDR Blu-Ray was so MUCH dimmer before with HDR Game compared to Technicolor).

As soon as I can I will update the first post accordingly to reflect this major improvement, and removing any other option, now superseeded.
Plus, I will also include the BT.1886 suggestion for SDR (both for SDR Technicolor and SDR Game) as it's actually a bit better for dark/dim environment, along with minor Color Temp adjustments.

Wow LG, better late than never.
This shit is awesome!

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Umm, what's going on here? P40L0 says the new B7 update makes non-metadata HDR signals bright now, so bright HDR Game Mode on PS4 and Xbox One.
Hmmm maybe I'm blind - but technicolor mode was never bright either - I've switched from Cinema home mode which is bright to HDR game mode again and it is far dimmer still. No mans Sky for example - far brighter with better whites on text in Cinema home over Game HDR, Battlefield V brighter in Cinema home

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm maybe I'm blind - but technicolor mode was never bright either - I've switched from Cinema home mode which is bright to HDR game mode again and it is far dimmer still. No mans Sky for example - far brighter with better whites on text in Cinema home over Game HDR, Battlefield V brighter in Cinema home
I think he's claiming it's as bright as Technicolor with Active HDR turned on.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Yep - which isn't bright in my view - not for games anyway. Cinema home with Active HDR has much better highlights etc, but everyone sees it different. Just don't go updating expecting great new levels of brightness as it isn't there.

Yeah, I'm calling placebo until I hear more evidence. Since the dawn of TV firmware updates, folks have been claiming to see things fixed or changed that haven't been altered in the slightest.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm calling placebo until I hear more evidence. Since the dawn of TV firmware updates, folks have been claiming to see things fixed or changed that haven't been altered in the slightest.

Good thing I jumped to this thread after going through the other one. I'm going to take a wait and see approach as well on this one.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
One more question regarding the X100F:

If we're going to be watching mostly 1080p content (standard Blu-rays and streaming movies), is 55 inches going to be too big if we only sit about 6 feet from the screen? Still waffling between 49 and 55. :/

You should be fine. I have a 55" screen and sit slightly nearer than that for 1080p content. I was sitting even nearer for 4K content but had to move back slightly for the 1080p content. Just under 6" is the sweet spot for me for 1080p content.

Oct 25, 2017
Freaked out when i saw the new update for the C7. Loaded up horizon which was always so fuckin dark to me in HDR game mode.

Wow. Fuckin blinding now. Had the HDR slider up to the max now its up 1/4 of the way and thats plenty.

mdd45

Nov 8, 2018
What i would like to know is how much is the lag in PC mode HDR standard compared to previous firmware and also hdr game mode....

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... interesting. I can say that I'm able to watch HDR content on the YouTube app on both 7.0 and 8.0. :) It's possible that the YouTube app may have been updated recently (startup logo is a bit different) to support this feature. I cannot recall!
You can watch HdR content on any version of YouTube, it's just tonemapped to SDR.
If you turn the stats on your can see which codec it's using, if it's Vp9 profile 2 then it's probably HDR
It may be working now for him since this new android update that just came out apparently finally enables really HDR on the internal Youtube app.

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I've gone through a ton of games, and can categorically say this update hasn't changed Jack shit, it's identical as before, active HDR is way brighter, injection acts the same way. Nothing has changed guys.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I've gone through a ton of games, and can categorically say this update hasn't changed Jack shit, it's identical as before, active HDR is way brighter, injection acts the same way. Nothing has changed guys.
Is it bad that I'm kinda glad about that? I just bought a Linker and I was going all "Just my fucking luck!" lol.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
If input lag is you biggest concern, then the Samsung sets are your best bet for this.
If you are switch and PC, then is HDR a big deal for you?

If it's not then you could look at one of the cheaper models. The reason the Q8FN QLED sets are so much more is due to their colour and peak brightness abilities.
I should mention that, while I don't own them now, I've definitely been seriously considering getting a PS4 Pro or Xbox One in the near-ish future. One of the bigger things stopping me from doing that right now is the lack of a 4k TV.

Also I'm going to want this to last a bit. After buying this TV, I'm probably not going to go out and look for another one until 8k is at about the same point 4k is at now.

Basically I think the chances I'll have some HDR content to display on the TV at some point in it's life to be pretty high.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Installed 04.10.20 on my C8 and now the Magic Remote isn't working ;_; Not saying it's related but the timing is a bit odd. Batteries are ok. Red light is flashing when I press stuff. Just can't get any pointer functionality and a lot of buttons aren't working

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Installed 04.10.20 on my C8 and now the Magic Remote isn't working ;_; Not saying it's related but the timing is a bit odd. Batteries are ok. Red light is flashing when I press stuff. Just can't get any pointer functionality and a lot of buttons aren't working

Had a similar issue one time randomly with my old B7. I would even resync the remote with the TV and it would say successful but it was still screwed up.

Try giving the TV a power drain. Unplug it, hold down the power button (on TV) for 30 seconds while unplugged, then replug and try again. That fixed it for me.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Had a similar issue one time randomly with my old B7. I would even resync the remote with the TV and it would say successful but it was still screwed up.

Try giving the TV a power drain. Unplug it, hold down the power button (on TV) for 30 seconds while unplugged, then replug and try again. That fixed it for me.
Got it working again. Had to use the LG remote app to turn off "quick start" then restart the TV. This seems to give a full reset instead of the usual sleep mode you get from the standby button. Did the trick

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Fuckers at LG still haven't released the new 5.80.10 firmware in Australia. We're still on 4.70.71. I tempted to ring them up and ask them wtf is going on. We shouldn't be months behind Europe. It doesn't make any sense.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Something else I noticed going from 77 to 55 inches is how sizes impacts my perception of brightness.

On the 77C8 always had my OLED light @ 25 in a dark room
On the 55C8 now need the OLED light @ 35 in a dark room

Fuckers at LG still haven't released the new 5.80.10 firmware in Australia. We're still on 4.70.71. I tempted to ring them up and ask them wtf is going on. We shouldn't be months behind Europe. It doesn't make any sense.

You can actually download the latest firmware from LG's website, load onto a USB and upgrade it locally. Done it plenty of times and no issues at all.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Geometry Wars 2 on One X BC and holy crap it looks good on a OLED. The particles and absolute black background whew.

Also GW2 remains a GOAT tier game.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Nice!

Nice. Yeah, eventually I want to finally get one of these.
Yeah, I've been pretty impressed with the Harmony Elite so far. It is a bit of a culture shock at first because you have to use 'activities' rather than simply switching devices like normal multi remote. It feels counterintuitive.

But once you've set up an activity for everything you start to realise how it all fits together. It's surprising how few buttons you actually need to get most things done. Being able to power on and control the Xbox to watch films is almost worth the price of admission alone.

It isn't perfect, but considering the amount of devices it can interact with, that's to be expected. Until everything is controlled via Bluetooth I think this is about as good as we can hope for.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Freaked out when i saw the new update for the C7. Loaded up horizon which was always so fuckin dark to me in HDR game mode.

Wow. Fuckin blinding now. Had the HDR slider up to the max now its up 1/4 of the way and thats plenty.

Oh snap!

Expected but glad that's settled now. Dot always coming through.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been pretty impressed with the Harmony Elite so far. It is a bit of a culture shock at first because you have to use 'activities' rather than simply switching devices like normal multi remote. It feels counterintuitive.

But once you've set up an activity for everything you start to realise how it all fits together. It's surprising how few buttons you actually need to get most things done. Being able to power on and control the Xbox to watch films is almost worth the price of admission alone.

It isn't perfect, but considering the amount of devices it can interact with, that's to be expected. Until everything is controlled via Bluetooth I think this is about as good as we can hope for.
Sounds great.
So you set up one activity to do multiple different things in a row in a certain order it looks like?

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds great.
So you set up one activity to do multiple different things in a row in a certain order it looks like?
Yeah, exactly. For example I have an activity called 'Play Xbox'. It will turn on the TV, sound bar, Xbox and switch to the right input. Once I'm done I might choose 'Watch Netflix'. That will switch off the Xbox and change the TV input to Netflix. But the sound bar will remain on because it's part of both activities.

It sounds lazy but it actually works really well!

You can configure it to do almost anything you'd like, in any order. And it is compatible with pretty much everything - including smart bulbs which actually pretty useful when watching films.

The only problems I've had so far are Switch (not compatible full stop) and PS4 (compatible, but you have to turn it on via the pad). You can still create activities for those things so it switches to the right input etc, but there will be a manual step.

Deleted member 12177

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something else I noticed going from 77 to 55 inches is how sizes impacts my perception of brightness.

On the 77C8 always had my OLED light @ 25 in a dark room
On the 55C8 now need the OLED light @ 35 in a dark room

You can actually download the latest firmware from LG's website, load onto a USB and upgrade it locally. Done it plenty of times and no issues at all.

It's not perception. The volume of light coming from a larger screen is greater.

Similar to how massive screens in movie theaters are quite low APL but can easily appear too bright in certain scenes.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any suggested settings for Battlefield V's UI to minimize burn-in risk?

Go into the colorblind options and use the custom one that let you change colors. You could use that to change the red color of enemies and the enemy objectives/UI stuff to something like light blue or light green.

The red used by default isn't that intense so only change it if you're gonna be playing it a ton.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
7-8 months is not a long time. Had I known this timeline, I might have backed off my C8 and waited.

There is absolutely no way they are getting their OLEDs out in 2019, 2020 is more likely and I would even say we won't see them till 2021.

They were just starting to prepare for their trial runs on those things recently. I imagine it takes a while to get the whole manufacturing process down correctly and to a decent yield/price.

Last edited:

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, any new technology will be priced accordingly. OLED is great right now because prices are competitive, but that wasn't the case a few years back.

By the time I next upgrade hopefully QD-OLED or whatever will be mature and affordable :)

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Im in Australia and i got the update this morning
Nice. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Okay so I tried the automatic update and it's still telling me there are no updates. Are you sure yours updated to the latest 5.80 firmware?

The latest firmware on LG Australia's website is 4.70.36 which is old. I've tried putting the latest firmware from the US and UK websites on a USB stick and following the instructions but they don't work.

Last edited:

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth it to buy hardware to calibrate or should I be OK following the settings posted by RTINGS? Is some kind of manual calibration a good idea (using test patterns and eyeballing it) or am I best off not bothering and just leaving the setting as-is (outside of changing the broad picture settings to the appropriate ISF preset, per RTINGS recommendation)?

My TV is waiting for me at home and I am super excited to get out of here and start messing around it with it, but I don't want to get too overzealous!