• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Man that pisses me off. My TV is saying no new updates even though I connected it through wifi and ethernet just to be sure.

This is not uncommon. Lots of people report not receiving firmware updates the same time as others even being based in identical regions with identical tv models. I usually get mine after a lot of others-this is the first time ive received an OTA in the first batch!

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Got my 65" VT60 Plasma set up in my new media room. Cleaned off the screen. Got some bias lighting and voice controlled room lights. I've fallen in love with this TV again. Nothing still beats the motion resolution this thing has except for CRT, but this has crystal clear 1080p on a flat screen :)

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
This is not uncommon. Lots of people report not receiving firmware updates the same time as others even being based in identical regions with identical tv models. I usually get mine after a lot of others-this is the first time ive received an OTA in the first batch!
That's weird but I'm okay with that. What annoys me is that they don't update the website for people who want to download it manually so I'm basically screwed until the automatic update finds its way to me, whenever that is.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
For those who have the Samsung Q8 series, do you have to do anything to get the tv to automatically switch to game mode when a game is being played? I'd like to keep the picture in movie mode and just let the TV do the work.

Also, when it automatically switches, will the picture mode say "game," or will it still say "movie" but have the low input lag associated with game mode?

Thanks!

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

They do this in case something is wrong with the firmware they missed in testing, its easier to pull back the update. It can be annoying on the rare occasion a firmware update adds something worthwhile but for the most part, you really don't want to be the first person to get an update.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, exactly. For example I have an activity called 'Play Xbox'. It will turn on the TV, sound bar, Xbox and switch to the right input. Once I'm done I might choose 'Watch Netflix'. That will switch off the Xbox and change the TV input to Netflix. But the sound bar will remain on because it's part of both activities.

It sounds lazy but it actually works really well!

You can configure it to do almost anything you'd like, in any order. And it is compatible with pretty much everything - including smart bulbs which actually pretty useful when watching films.

The only problems I've had so far are Switch (not compatible full stop) and PS4 (compatible, but you have to turn it on via the pad). You can still create activities for those things so it switches to the right input etc, but there will be a manual step.
Nice, thanks for the details.
Does it play well with a receiver in the middle?
Out of curiosity, how about if the PS4 is in rest mode rather than fully off? I guess that probably still requires the pad to wake up too though.
Which is fine though if you can control it once it's on.

I was reading something about setting time delays for something between each action if needed? Is that even needed for most setups and if so is it easy?
I assume it's talking about like the time between when it turns on the TV and the time it tries to change inputs?

Oct 28, 2017
Freaked out when i saw the new update for the C7. Loaded up horizon which was always so fuckin dark to me in HDR game mode.

Wow. Fuckin blinding now. Had the HDR slider up to the max now its up 1/4 of the way and thats plenty.
I've gone through a ton of games, and can categorically say this update hasn't changed Jack shit, it's identical as before, active HDR is way brighter, injection acts the same way. Nothing has changed guys.

The fuck is going on? Is it fixed or not lol

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, thanks for the details.
Does it play well with a receiver in the middle?
Out of curiosity, how about if the PS4 is in rest mode rather than fully off? I guess that probably still requires the pad to wake up too though.
Which is fine though if you can control it once it's on.

I was reading something about setting time delays for something between each action if needed? Is that even needed for most setups and if so is it easy?
I assume it's talking about like the time between when it turns on the TV and the time it tries to change inputs?
I have the receiver in the middle of my TV stand, but I use the two provided IR blaster extensions for things out of reach.

I don't think it makes any difference if the PS4 is in rest mode or not - unfortunately Sony made a conscious decision to only allow the pad to turn it on remotely. You can control it once on though.

You can change the delay between the TV turning on and switching inputs, and maybe each action too. Can't remember for sure, I'll double check that one. Everything is configured using the app and there are a load of options I've hardly touched.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I have the receiver in the middle of my TV stand, but I use the two provided IR blaster extensions for things out of reach.

I don't think it makes any difference if the PS4 is in rest mode or not - unfortunately Sony made a conscious decision to only allow the pad to turn it on remotely. You can control it once on though.

You can change the delay between the TV turning on and switching inputs, and maybe each action too. Can't remember for sure, I'll double check that one. Everything is configured using the app and there are a load of options I've hardly touched.
Thanks, cool. Will probably start setting aside some money for one.
Sounds good, I know with my receiver sometimes it takes a few extra seconds for the receiver to fully come on after I power on the TV.

Okay, yeah, I figured that was case based on how you'd already described it, but glad to hear you can at least control it once it's on.

Wonderbrah

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've gone through a ton of games, and can categorically say this update hasn't changed Jack shit, it's identical as before, active HDR is way brighter, injection acts the same way. Nothing has changed guys.

I just bought a C8 from Costco. What is "active HDR"? Is that the dynamic tone mapping setting that tries to mimic dolby vision for hdr10 content? I figured most people leave that setting off

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I just bought a C8 from Costco. What is "active HDR"? Is that the dynamic tone mapping setting that tries to mimic dolby vision for hdr10 content? I figured most people leave that setting off

Yeah it's the LG 7 series dynamic tone mapping, and to the contrary, it's a superb setting for HDR10 and HLG films/TV, must have! Especially as the previous issues have now been fixed.

Definitely use it on your 8.

Dave1988

Oct 25, 2017
Go into the colorblind options and use the custom one that let you change colors. You could use that to change the red color of enemies and the enemy objectives/UI stuff to something like light blue or light green.

The red used by default isn't that intense so only change it if you're gonna be playing it a ton.

Hmm, tried it with green but it's kinda confusing me during gameplay. Would a darker red or pure black work instead of green?

Yeah it's the LG 7 series dynamic tone mapping, and to the contrary, it's a superb setting for HDR10 and HLG films/TV, must have! Especially as the previous issues have now been fixed.

Definitely use it on your 8.

So, on the 8 series sets we should be using Dynamic Tonemapping instead of Dynamic Contrast for HDR?

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the auto game mode works again. Had to unplug the Xbox HDMI cable from the One Connect box and plug it back in.

I've been watching some Amazon Prime, shows like Goliath and such. Sadly the subtitles brightening up areas of the screen is happening here as well, just as with Netflix. I went to the Prime settings on my phone and I select subtitles with a low opacity and this change works fine on the Prime phone app but for some annoying reason it doesn't on the TV app.

Tried some Blu Ray discs like The Dark Knight and LOTR and I see it happening there too, but not nearly as bad as Prime and Netflix. Very distracting, very annoying and a bit of a shame.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the auto game mode works again. Had to unplug the Xbox HDMI cable from the One Connect box and plug it back in.

I've been watching some Amazon Prime, shows like Goliath and such. Sadly the subtitles brightening up areas of the screen is happening here as well, just as with Netflix. I went to the Prime settings on my phone and I select subtitles with a low opacity and this change works fine on the Prime phone app but for some annoying reason it doesn't on the TV app.

Tried some Blu Ray discs like The Dark Knight and LOTR and I see it happening there too, but not nearly as bad as Prime and Netflix. Very distracting, very annoying and a bit of a shame.

Its one of the limitations of FALD LCD, and keep in mind you have one of the best LCDs (after the Z9D) when it comes to zone count and contrast.

Its all a tradeoff when it comes to TVs, it just depends on what you value most.

There Is No Perfect TV ™

The promising tech that could solve most current TV issues without much downside is microLED, but its probably 10-20 years away I would guess. Samsung getting back into OLED (after all the bad talking and downplaying they have done about OLEDs) tells me they don't think they can bring microLED to consumers for a very long time.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Yep - which isn't bright in my view - not for games anyway. Cinema home with Active HDR has much better highlights etc, but everyone sees it different. Just don't go updating expecting great new levels of brightness as it isn't there.
HDR Cinema Home is not as accurate as HDR Cinema or HDR Technicolor with Active HDR.

It's overly bright, with visible raised blacks and colors tend to glow like neon (even if not as much as HDR Standard where they glow like hell, and highlights are massively clipped at higher nits).

HDR Technicolor with Active HDR remains the best HDR profile for the 7 series, and now HDR Game has finally a ridiculously close PQ (when setup correctly) for the first time, while maintaining a rock solid 21ms input lag.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HDR Cinema Home is not as accurate as HDR Cinema or HDR Technicolor with Active HDR.

It's overly bright, with visible raised blacks and colors tend to glow like neon (even if not as much as HDR Standard where they glow like hell, and highlights are massively clipped at higher nits).

HDR Technicolor with Active HDR remains the best HDR profile for the 7 series, and now HDR Game has finally a ridiculously close PQ (when setup correctly) for the first time, while maintaining a rock solid 21ms input lag.

Well what people have been waiting for is Cinema levels of brightness in HDR game mode for the B7/C7, and that did not get fixed in this update.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I play a decent amount of Fortnite so I have some light concerns about burn-in on the C8 I just ordered, but we're talking 5-10 hours a week on the high end, so I can't imagine that would cause significant burn-in if I use things like pixel-shift and pixel refresh.

Don't run the game in torch mode, default game mode OLED light is 80, and for SDR content an OLED light of 35-40 is pretty good for most people.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
It's defenitely not placebo.
FH4 or 4K/HDR Blu-Rays were never so bright on HDR Game mode before the patch. Ever.

The HDR Luminance fix is not yet available for US/Korea yet, only Europe/AU for now.
Strange. I've tried FH4 today and noticed no difference to what it was before the update on Game HDR mode. Not tried any blu-Ray films as never use game mode for those. But I guess if Technicolor mode is the one your eyes like for gaming and the Game HDR setting is more like that now I'm pleased for those people

Just it's still dim and people were hoping for a brightness increase which isn't the case with this update.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I played Spiderman in HDR on a PS4 Pro on a B7, never felt the game wasn't bright enough, The game actually looked incredible on the tv

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Well what people have been waiting for is Cinema levels of brightness in HDR game mode for the B7/C7, and that did not get fixed in this update.
Are you on EU 5.80.10 firmware?

If yes, try to dial in my suggested settings in the LG 2017 thread both for HDR Game and HDR Technicolor with Active HDR, then try to switch back and forth between them. It is now very difficult to spot PQ differences between the two.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Technicolor and Game Mode have never been hugely different as far as luminance is concerned if I recall correctly. Been awhile since I turned on my B7 but I remember flicking between the two and not seeing a big difference.

If you're still feeling the need to use Dynamic Contrast, it sounds like nothing much has changed.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Technicolor and Game Mode have never been hugely different as far as luminance is concerned if I recall correctly. Been awhile since I turned on my B7 but I remember flicking between the two and not seeing a big difference.

If you're still feeling the need to use Dynamic Contrast, it sounds like nothing much has changed.
The difference was there when using Active HDR compared to HDR Game. The latter was much more dimmer, especially on higher nits contents (as 4.000 nits games and Blu-rays), now no more ;)

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you on EU 5.80.10 firmware?

If yes, try to dial in my suggested settings in the LG 2017 thread both for HDR Game and HDR Technicolor with Active HDR, then try to switch back and forth between them. It is now very difficult to spot PQ differences between the two.

I have a C8, but that is my guess as to what most of the B7/C7 owners have been asking for.

Even if HDR technicolor is what is most accurate, HDR Cinema (or is it HDR Cinema Home?) is the level of brightness people want in HDR game mode, which the update did not address.

The C8 HDR game mode with dynamic tone mapping is much brighter than HDR game mode on the B7/C7 and there is no reason that should be the case, other than LG wanting it this way.

Oct 26, 2017
Its one of the limitations of FALD LCD, and keep in mind you have one of the best LCDs (after the Z9D) when it comes to zone count and contrast.

Its all a tradeoff when it comes to TVs, it just depends on what you value most.

There Is No Perfect TV ™

The promising tech that could solve most current TV issues without much downside is microLED, but its probably 10-20 years away I would guess. Samsung getting back into OLED (after all the bad talking and downplaying they have done about OLEDs) tells me they don't think they can bring microLED to consumers for a very long time.

That's certainly true man. All TVs have their weak things. I'm just glad that the dark grey subs do work on Netflix. That way I don't get the brightness increase as soon as subs appear.

Something else, black level should always be low right? I always made sure about that. For some reason it's at auto on my Q9FN and I can't select it, it's greyed out. Samsung with their annoying greying out of some features. How can I get this accessible? I've heard I should definitely set this to low.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's certainly true man. All TVs have their weak things. I'm just glad that the dark grey subs do work on Netflix. That way I don't get the brightness increase as soon as subs appear.

Something else, black level should always be low right? I always made sure about that. For some reason it's at auto on my Q9FN and I can't select it, it's greyed out. Samsung with their annoying greying out of some features. How can I get this accessible? I've heard I should definitely set this to low.

Yea I think for most TVs black level should be set to low.

The important thing is for it to match with the content its displaying so Auto should do that job and should be fine to leave it at that.

I think its only the PS4 that has some issues with that sort of thing, never heard of Xbox having issues with this. Should be easy to notice the problem tho, washed out image or crushed image would be an indication of mismatched settings.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I have a C8, but that is my guess as to what most of the B7/C7 owners have been asking for.

Even if HDR technicolor is what is most accurate, HDR Cinema (or is it HDR Cinema Home?) is the level of brightness people want in HDR game mode, which the update did not address.

The C8 HDR game mode with dynamic tone mapping is much brighter than HDR game mode on the B7/C7 and there is no reason that should be the case, other than LG wanting it this way.
I think some people just want "HDR Standard-like" luminance back for HDR Game as it was before both 2016 and 2017 got patched with the "Cinema" (not Home) tone mapping.
What these people is not realizing is that eye-melting luminance in a dark room and the "more pop" they refer to for neon-like colors is not the best default to have for gaming to begin with, but I can perfectly understand how in order to get close to proper luminance when gaming people tried the PC HDR Standard route when HDR Game (even with DC) still wasn't matching HDR Technicolor either (I also personally recommended it as an Option when PC Input got fixed with 5.80.04)

Now getting so close to HDR Technicolor with Active HDR results when using HDR Game Dynamic Contrast is a giant improvement over the old HDR Game and older "HDR Standard", and if still these people complain for not having back the latter, they should probably re-think their idea of Picture Quality or should at least reconsider the priority of their wants compared to objectively more balanced solution for all the others.
LG will never bring back HDR Standard profile for HDR Game for a reason.

Regarding 2018 Series' Dynamic Tonemapping (basically the same as Active HDR) for HDR Game, LG is probably right also there, as real Active HDR require more processing power to process every frame and drastically increases lag in 2017 models when using it outside HDR Game mode.
2018 faster chipsets can simply handle it without added lag.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
They don't really need Dynamic Tonemapping in Game Mode, they need to track Max CLL instead Max MDL which is what they do on the 8 series. The 8 series is brighter than the 7's without even using Active HDR because they are tracking the proper tone curve in most instances. I'm wondering if it's even possible for them to make that change on the 7 series.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else like me actually using the warm 2 color tone for RDR2? Usually I go towards standard or even cool but for this game all of those look off, too cartoony for the more realistic tone RDR2 is setting. I've decided to check how it looks on my Surface via Xbox streaming and color tone wise it's exactly like that now. I like this.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
It's defenitely not placebo.
FH4 or 4K/HDR Blu-Rays were never so bright on HDR Game mode before the patch. Ever.

The HDR Luminance fix is not yet available for US/Korea yet, only Europe/AU for now.
The difference was there when using Active HDR compared to HDR Game. The latter was much more dimmer, especially on higher nits contents (as 4.000 nits games and Blu-rays), now no more ;)

So regular hdr game mode without DC is now brighter? Or is that through pc mode?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah. At this point I don't think P40L0 and the people who say there is no change with the latest 7 firmware are even talking about the same things. The video he linked to with the 8 series firmware fixing an issue sounds like something completely different?

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. At this point I don't think P40L0 and the people who say there is no change with the latest 7 firmware are even talking about the same things. The video he linked to with the 8 series firmware fixing an issue sounds like something completely different?

It was originally all to do with the brightness fluctuations on the 8's, of which is now fixed, a problem that the 7's never had in the first place, so the only fix we got was a subtitle one....silly LG even putting that in the 7 notes.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that the stutter/judder issues with the 2018 LG OLEDs was vastly overblown, or I am completely blind to the problem. Watched Prometheus 4K/HDR (absolutely gorgeous movie, and no lack of panning shots either) last night on the 65" C8 and was unable to see what the fuss was about.

Really, really happy with my decision so far - it is drop-dead beautiful.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Great news for us Oppo 203/205 owners. Oppo is going to implement HDR10+ so our players will basically play everything.

Too bad no content in HDR10+ as well as none of my TV's support that format but still nice addition

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
That's a hell of a deal. Wish I had a 4th room that needed a TV I would buy that in a heartbeat. Almost want to but it anyways because that's mad cheap

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems that the stutter/judder issues with the 2018 LG OLEDs was vastly overblown, or I am completely blind to the problem. Watched Prometheus 4K/HDR (absolutely gorgeous movie, and no lack of panning shots either) last night on the 65" C8 and was unable to see what the fuss was about.

Really, really happy with my decision so far - it is drop-dead beautiful.

I think you notice it more if you come from a plasma to an OLED, but you are right, I think it is yet another overblown issue.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
I think you notice it more if you come from a plasma to an OLED, but you are right, I think it is yet another overblown issue.
I came from the very last US production plasma, from Panny's 2014 line. I was expecting the transition to be unbearable but I was completely wrong, it is hardly noticeable! I am absolutely blown away - the C8 is, no contest, the nicest display I have ever seen in my life - plasma be damned. I have owned more than a dozen "top-of-the-line" displays in my life and none of them come close to touching the C8, not the plasmas, not the fancy g-sync or ultra-wide format monitors, not the CRTs. It's unreal.

I waited a long time before jumping into OLEDs and in retrospect I can't believe I was so hesitant. Consider me a believer.

55" LG E8 for $1348.99.

Add to cart, go to checkout and apply discount.
Deal of the century - if you are in the market for a 55", you would be a fool to not jump on this.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
Have another C8 coming from Amazon since my TV has gone from strobe light to displays black on startup and occasionally pictures.

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone else like me actually using the warm 2 color tone for RDR2? Usually I go towards standard or even cool but for this game all of those look off, too cartoony for the more realistic tone RDR2 is setting. I've decided to check how it looks on my Surface via Xbox streaming and color tone wise it's exactly like that now. I like this.
Of course. I use Warm 2 with all content.

Burnburn

Oct 26, 2017
Bought a B8 the other day and my god it's gorgeous! I want this screen to be my "everything screen" so I can do everything in the living room, so watching tv, playing games, but also using it as my PC screen. And I like it for all of those aspects, it's just a too big for use as a PC screen. Yes I know I should've known 55 inch is too big to use as a monitor, but I really NEEDED an OLED and 55 inch is the smallest size unfortunately (I would've gone for a 45 inch in a heart beat).

So I know this is probably more of a PC question and I'll take it to a PC thread if no one knows the answer here.

Is there a way to use a smaller portion of the screen? Say using only the bottom left 50% instead of the whole screen. So I would scale down the image to 50% and the rest of the space would be unused. I know I could just make the windows of the applications I use smaller and work from there, but then parts of the screen I wouldn't ever focus on would still be used plus the Windows UI elements like the taskbar wouldn't be scaled down.

I also had these vertical parts on the screen where you could see a bit of retention, but using the pixel refresher function fixed that luckily!

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also had these vertical parts on the screen where you could see a bit of retention, but using the pixel refresher function fixed that luckily!

You shouldn't be running the manual compensation cycle to clear image retention. It will be done automatically once you turn the TV off after 4 hours of cumulative use. The manual option will impact on the life of your panel if you keep using it.