• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
ugh. At Best Buy right now to look at these 900f Sony's. They look pretty awesome. These LG oleds are pretty sweet too. 900f is $1199 and the Oled is 1599 right now on sales. Is it bad I don't notice a huge difference in these? The Sony holds up pretty well against it.

Will you watch in a pitch black room? If yes, get the OLED. If not, the 900F is perfect.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I do both. Not really pitch black as there is always some dim light on at night and I also play in a bright room on my days off during the day.

So just remember that viewing rooms at retailers are always in bright light -- generally brighter than viewing conditions.

With that said, the X900F is a great set.

For me, my new area is PITCH BLACK, and that's when OLED truly shines. It's an unreasonably awesome viewing experience, with the lights off and the infinite contrast.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
So just remember that viewing rooms at retailers are always in bright light -- generally brighter than viewing conditions.

For me, my new area is PITCH BLACK, and that's when OLED truly shines. It's an unreasonably awesome viewing experience, with the lights off and the infinite contrast.
The Oled actually looks ok in the bright lights here. The 900F is definitely brighter though.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I do both. Not really pitch black as there is always some dim light on at night and I also play in a bright room on my days off during the day.

Spot on.

If you play a lot during the day, get the 900F (and save some money)

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Spot on.

Yup...unless you have a theatre room or a light controlled room where you can achieve pitch black, there's really no reason to feel bad about getting a FALD. From experience the 900F is an AMAZING set and the extra brightness is magical in a bright room.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Yup...unless you have a theatre room or a light controlled room where you can achieve pitch black, there's really no reason to feel bad about getting a FALD. From experience the 900F is an AMAZING set and the extra brightness is magical in a bright room.
Although we are getting to that point in the year where it's almost worth waiting for the next gen sets.....

=)

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Although we are getting to that point in the year where it's almost worth waiting for the next gen sets.....

=)
That's another 8 month to a year wait to get to these prices. Always waiting. Plus I need a receiver too and that's another thing with the HDMI 2.1 or whatever. Have to wait for those to hit also which who the hell knows when onkyo will put that out. Another year and a half to wait for the companies to put stuff out to catch up. Ugh.

I'm not in dire need I guess.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
That's another 8 month to a year wait to get to these prices. Always waiting. Plus I need a receiver too and that's another thing with the HDMI 2.1 or whatever. Have to wait for those to hit also which who the hell knows when onkyo will put that out. Another year and a half to wait for the companies to put stuff out to catch up. Ugh.

I'm not in dire need I guess.
Nah, if you think you're ready for a new TV, but one. They're cheaper than they've ever been, on a relative basis and there's always a new thing around the corner.

Also, AVRs are a whole other story. Honestly continue to be amazed Onkyo is still in business. Glad it works well for most folks, I think.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, if you think you're ready for a new TV, but one. They're cheaper than they've ever been, on a relative basis and there's always a new thing around the corner.

Also, AVRs are a whole other story. Honestly continue to be amazed Onkyo is still in business. Glad it works well for most folks, I think.
Are you just talking about the brand or receivers in general? I can't imagine using tv speakers anymore. Sound is just as important as visuals a lot of the time for me.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Are you just talking about the brand or receivers in general? I can't imagine using tv speakers anymore. Sound is just as important as visuals a lot of the time for me.
Oh no friend, I am talking about Onkyo specifically.

Haha, Bumrush is reading this prolly chuckling to himself. I am the world's biggest advocate for audio being a bigger part of the experience than video. Absolutely 100% agree with that part.

I've had two experiences with Onkyo; one blu Ray player and one AVR and they were both defective, so not a huge fan. But absolute a huge fan of discrete audio solutions.

Death to tv speakers! =)

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no friend, I am talking about Onkyo specifically.

Haha, Bumrush is reading this prolly chuckling to himself. I am the world's biggest advocate for audio being a bigger part of the experience than video. Absolutely 100% agree with that part.

I've had two experiences with Onkyo; one blu Ray player and one AVR and they were both defective, so not a huge fan. But absolute a huge fan of discrete audio solutions.

Death to tv speakers! =)
Ha right on. Yeah I've heard horror stories about most of the big brands on AVRs. Me and my Dads Onkyos have been good to us so I tend to go with a brand thats been fine for me. I'm always reading some review or forum post about someones AVR blowing up or something.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Ha right on. Yeah I've heard horror stories about most of the big brands on AVRs. Me and my Dads Onkyos have been good to us so I tend to go with a brand thats been fine for me. I'm always reading some review or forum post about someones AVR blowing up or something.
Totally. Everyone has had experience that's probably negative with some brand at some point. My dad also had an Onkyo that worked out well for him too!

I'm on Anthem gear now and I don't think I'd ever go back. But also I'm fortunate enough to be a bit later in life on that time/money curve.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Well fuck i think my x900f is dying.

Im experiencing a split second line flash that pops in the screen once a couple minutes after every boot up. It only happens once and it doesn't happen again after hours of use but it always happens a couple minutes after boot up only once. So weird Its driving me insane. At first i thought it was a HDMI cable issue but it's happening with 2 diff hdmi cables in 2 diff ports and from two different sources, my pc and my ps4.... This fucking sucks.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Well fuck i think my x900f is dying.

Im experiencing a split second line flash that pops in the screen once a couple minutes after every boot up. It only happens once and it doesn't happen again after hours of use but it always happens a couple minutes after boot up only once. So weird Its driving me insane. At first i thought it was a HDMI cable issue but it's happening with 2 diff hdmi cables in 2 diff ports and from two different sources, my pc and my ps4.... This fucking sucks.
Well damn that sucks. Are you still under some kind of warranty?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Do we expect LG OLED prices to drop again this year at MSRP?
Maybe others can elaborate but every year they seem to be dropping. Next year they'll begin manufacturing high emission sets which theoretically should reduce costs but we'll have to wait and see. I'd love if we got to the point where new 55" 4K OLED sets were $1,000 at launch or within 6 months.
Spot on.

What if you play in a bright environment during the day but pretty dark at night?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

I'm sure there are individual horror stories for every brand. However Onkyo may deserve special mention for having their own version of red-ring-of-death. They were manufacturing units with defective chips from 2009-2012, and the failure rates were so high that they had to officially acknowledge it and offer an out-of-warranty replacement program.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just asking what he'd go for in that situation. Most people would watch TV in a mixture of bright and dark settings instead of one all the time.

It's not like OLED can't handle bright rooms. It's just that if you're watching the majority of your time in daylight with a healthy amount of ambient light, Redline (and I among others) would recommend a bright LED. If it's a mixture, still explore OLED if you have the money as the PQ really is fantastic.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there are individual horror stories for every brand. However Onkyo may deserve special mention for having their own version of red-ring-of-death. They were manufacturing units with defective chips from 2009-2012, and the failure rates were so high that they had to officially acknowledge it and offer an out-of-warranty replacement program.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html
Wow I must have missed that. Are things better now? I've had my receiver for a while now and it's fine but this 4k thing is forcing me to upgrade.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
What if you play in a bright environment during the day but pretty dark at night?
Just remember that even though OLED TVs don't get as bright as top end LCDs they're still brighter than all TVs ever made from 4-5+ years ago.

It'd be fine in a bright room.
Just would be a little better with a brighter LCD. Or you may not notice it at all.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm just asking what he'd go for in that situation. Most people would watch TV in a mixture of bright and dark settings instead of one all the time.
Just remember that even though OLED TVs don't get as bright as top end LCDs they're still brighter than all TVs ever made from 4-5+ years ago.

It'd be fine in a bright room.
Just would be a little better with a brighter LCD. Or you may not notice it at all.

This is kind of what I figure. No matter the faults of an OLED, it's going to be better in every respect than my 11 year old LG LCD

Pezking

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe others can elaborate but every year they seem to be dropping. Next year they'll begin manufacturing high emission sets which theoretically should reduce costs but we'll have to wait and see. I'd love if we got to the point where new 55" 4K OLED sets were $1,000 at launch or within 6 months.

Playing in a dark enviroment is never problematic.

Playing in a bright room during daytime on the other hand...

Our living room is very bright. Got the XF90 last month and absolutely love it. I'm glad that I went for maximum brightness, because the XF90 is quite a bit glossier than my previous two Sony LCDs (W805B and EX500), even though it is still advertised as being semi-glossy. The dramatic increase in brightness is really needed to negate that during daytime.

And as far as I know, pretty much all OLEDs have glossy displays.

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Can I ask favour and apologises if this is considered a derail...after several posts and 1 2 1 msgs on ERA... I have had not one response. Feeling a little like game mode on a C7, dim and in need of an injection of metadata.

A simple quote or response will do...especially in regards to HD module testing... Tia

https://youtu.be/lTRWlS8D_ag
I see you (posted 1 day ago)

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually not a true statement.

In fact it's various levels of problematic for every single non-OLED TV.

Yea, dark rooms will highlight the flaws FALD LCDs have. I notice it on my old X900F whenever I watch a movie in the dark in it.

Subtitles will light up parts of the screen around them, and of course the black bars don't really stay black when parts of the screen near them light up.

This is a lot less noticeable in a brighter room, and I imagine even less noticeable if you've not gotten used to OLED blacks heh.

I do have to say say that bright rooms are never the best environment to get the best out of what you're watching, and if you're interested in watching HDR movies in any reasonable way you should try to dim the room as much as possible, even if you have an LCD. Even with all the faults I mentioned FALD LCDs have in dark rooms, a dark room is still the best way to experience movies and HDR with any kind of TV.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Does anyone think tinting settles in at all over time, such as yellow? I know on iPhone screens it's been that way as hypothesized the glue or other things settle in.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh and the thing that surprised me the most about my C8 when I bought it was how well it actually performed in bright conditions.

From reading comments online I was expecting it to be noticeable because I was coming from an X900F, but I was not let down at all.

I can easily use my OLED during the day with the windows/curtains open. I've never even felt the need to increase OLED light from 60, and most of the time I keep it at 40 for SDR content.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone think tinting settles in at all over time, such as yellow? I know on iPhone screens it's been that way as hypothesized the glue or other things settle in.

Do you mean on OLEDs? If so, no, tinting is there to stay. It's worth considering that some colour tinting on OLED sets is visible when you move your viewing angle. Put a white background on, then walk around the room and you should see subtle colour tinting. If you are seeing it front-on, then it's not going away.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
As i have a very very bright room, with a window right opposite the TV, it was one of my biggest concerns to go oled and coming from the xe93. Have to say it's not nearly as bad as I imagined, the reflective filter is better in my opinion.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I've upgraded my 49XE9005 to Oreo, and wow. The TV was never as fast as this. Picture modes now change so fast.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Yea, dark rooms will highlight the flaws FALD LCDs have. I notice it on my old X900F whenever I watch a movie in the dark in it.

Subtitles will light up parts of the screen around them, and of course the black bars don't really stay black when parts of the screen near them light up.

This is a lot less noticeable in a brighter room, and I imagine even less noticeable if you've not gotten used to OLED blacks heh.

I do have to say say that bright rooms are never the best environment to get the best out of what you're watching, and if you're interested in watching HDR movies in any reasonable way you should try to dim the room as much as possible, even if you have an LCD. Even with all the faults I mentioned FALD LCDs have in dark rooms, a dark room is still the best way to experience movies and HDR with any kind of TV.
Yep

And admittedly we're getting into qualitative "The picture I like" at this point, but lower peak nits is much less annoying to me than bad picture uniformity. The issues you mention above about subtitles would drive me nuts. I know this because on the rare occasion where banding is visible on my C7, it really irks me. But it's much harder to notice lower peak nits without a reference point sitting next to the set. Blooming and halos on the other hand stick out like a sore thumb.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Yep

And admittedly we're getting into qualitative "The picture I like" at this point, but lower peak nits is much less annoying to me than bad picture uniformity. The issues you mention above about subtitles would drive me nuts. I know this because on the rare occasion where banding is visible on my C7, it really irks me. But it's much harder to notice lower peak nits without a reference point sitting next to the set. Blooming and halos on the other hand stick out like a sore thumb.

100%. Your eyes adjust to nits (it's how so many of us were so thrilled with our plasmas) but uniformity issues...on ANY panel, are super annoying and noticeable because of their inconsistency

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
How's the motion? It's the one step down from Plasma for me (C8 here). It's not super noticeable but I'd prefer the insanely crisp motion from the plasma days on my next set

I like it, but I would had preferred that sony keeps the options of the A1 - there are less options now, and i would like to have a setting between 1 and 2 (at 2 soap effect is visible for me and i dont like that). But I'm no expert and it looks good as it is.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Do you mean on OLEDs? If so, no, tinting is there to stay. It's worth considering that some colour tinting on OLED sets is visible when you move your viewing angle. Put a white background on, then walk around the room and you should see subtle colour tinting. If you are seeing it front-on, then it's not going away.

Yeah it's straight on. I'll try to get a picture. I may just hang onto it for a bit and see when the C9 releases. I've got some time to return still so.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Playing in a dark enviroment is never problematic.

Playing in a bright room during daytime on the other hand...

Our living room is very bright. Got the XF90 last month and absolutely love it. I'm glad that I went for maximum brightness, because the XF90 is quite a bit glossier than my previous two Sony LCDs (W805B and EX500), even though it is still advertised as being semi-glossy. The dramatic increase in brightness is really needed to negate that during daytime.

And as far as I know, pretty much all OLEDs have glossy displays.
So OLED might be an issue during the day. I presume the future top emission sets will improve OLEDs in this regard?

Btw for anybody wondering I won't be on the market for a new set for a few years so I'm not considering any TV on the market. I'm just trying to increase my knowledge on TV's as I've been out of the loop since 2014.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a dedicated monitor thread or is this the place too?

I currently have a 22" 1080p AOC IPS monitor I use for my PC and PS4 Pro. I was looking into getting a second 1080p monitor so one can be dedicated to the PS4 so I could use both at the same time.

I was initially looking under $150 but then I saw this monitor which says it had HDR support. Does anyone have any experience with this particular one?

BenQ 27-inch 1080p HDR10 Monitor (EW277HDR), 93% DCI-P3, 100% Rec.709, 4ms Response Time, Eye-Care, Brightness Intelligence Plus, HDMI, VGA, Built-in Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07659Z1QM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vu1vCbNYA0BAD