• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
Just bought a B8 for $1800cad! Upgrading from my defective KS8000. Pretty excited! Just have to wait for my tax return to be confirmed before I open it up...

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really quite liking the updated Android TV OS, been watching a lot more stuff through those apps directly than before.
Also, it may just be me or it may probably just be that it's been so long since I watched it that it's placebo, but after updating my TV dolby vision from Amazon Prime in the Jack Ryan stream looked noticeably better somehow than what I remember from when I watched it back when it premiered.

What about the "Acoustic Surface" in Sonys A1? I used a soundplate for my old hdtv but stopped using it with my a1 because the sound was almost identical.
Yeah, I have a 5.1 setup, which it's obviously not as good as, so I don't use it that often on mine but I've found the sound pretty good from it on the rare occasion when I have.

Last edited:

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought a B8 for $1800cad! Upgrading from my defective KS8000. Pretty excited! Just have to wait for my tax return to be confirmed before I open it up...
Let us know how the difference is between the two! I'll be upgrading my ks8000 later this year and want to know if I should go with an oled or FALD tv

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
Let us know how the difference is between the two! I'll be upgrading my ks8000 later this year and want to know if I should go with an oled or FALD tv

Will Do! The blacks were pretty decent on my KS8000, and the brightness was incredible. But my panel is bad defective and i'm getting some bad clouding in one of the corners after I tried to fix it...

Burnburn

Oct 26, 2017
Hi there ERA, I've bought an OLED about 2 months ago now and I wish I could say I couldn't be happier because holy shit it's such a beauty and the image quality is just amazing.

However I can see this pattern in the background and I have no clue what it is

TMGXmzA.jpg

It's hard to see on the picture but it has this pattern that you can see in my crudely drawn circles. The lines are also vertically which you can't really make out. I'm sure it's not burn-in because I haven't displayed anything resembling the pattern on the TV. I also saw some talks about banding in the last few pages but I don't think it's that either? The weird thing is that sometimes it's way more noticable than other times. Sometimes it's so in your face that it's hard to ignore but other times it's just really slightly there in the background

I had some artifacts out of the box with this TV but they quickly resolved itself. A nice poster here told me back then not to use the pixel refresher since it automatically does that and just shortens longetivity of the TV. So I have no used it but after about 2 weeks I can still see the pattern. So I was wondering if anyone could help me with this and if they know what the name for this issue is plus any tips on how to fix it.

Sorry for the huge pic btw but I thought ERA would auto fit images to be a bit smaller so I don't have to embed it?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi there ERA, I've bought an OLED about 2 months ago now and I wish I could say I couldn't be happier because holy shit it's such a beauty and the image quality is just amazing.

However I can see this pattern in the background and I have no clue what it is

TMGXmzA.jpg

It's hard to see on the picture but it has this pattern that you can see in my crudely drawn circles. The lines are also vertically which you can't really make out. I'm sure it's not burn-in because I haven't displayed anything resembling the pattern on the TV. I also saw some talks about banding in the last few pages but I don't think it's that either? The weird thing is that sometimes it's way more noticable than other times. Sometimes it's so in your face that it's hard to ignore but other times it's just really slightly there in the background

I had some artifacts out of the box with this TV but they quickly resolved itself. A nice poster here told me back then not to use the pixel refresher since it automatically does that and just shortens longetivity of the TV. So I have no used it but after about 2 weeks I can still see the pattern. So I was wondering if anyone could help me with this and if they know what the name for this issue is plus any tips on how to fix it.

Sorry for the huge pic btw but I thought ERA would auto fit images to be a bit smaller so I don't have to embed it?

That looks strange as hell.

I would try contacting LG or even just returning it to the store for a new one if its still within the return window.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was confused I thought the higher the nits the better hdr will be. Doesn't OLED stay around 600nits while QLED can go up to 2000nits? thanks

Its a common misconception. Contrast is just as important and LCD needs such high nits to compensate for their lower contrast.

The past 3 years experts have chosen an OLED TV as best overall and best HDR TV.

Something will simply look brighter in your eyes when its displayed right next to a perfect black.

I have access to a Sony X900F and an LG C8, and I can tell you HDR looks a lot more impressive on the C8, in games and especially in movies. We also have someone here that upgraded from a Vizio PQ to a C8 and was still impressed with the HDR on the C8.

What will your usage of the TV look like? mixed between movies/shows and gaming? If its mixed usage or you lean more towards HDR movies/shows then the OLED for sure. For mostly gaming a good argument can be made for the LCD, although I personally still prefer OLED for that.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I was confused I thought the higher the nits the better hdr will be. Doesn't OLED stay around 600nits while QLED can go up to 2000nits? thanks
Since OLED has infinite contrast because it can turn off each pixel individually, the HDR looks just as great, if not better in certain instances. Local dimming is great but it can only do so much, 6-700 nit highlights surrounded by absolute, perfect black looks just as impactful as 2000 nits surrounded by a bit of a halo from the backlight. I've owned both and OLED blows everything else away imo.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Since OLED has infinite contrast because it can turn off each pixel individually, the HDR looks just as great, if not better in certain instances. Local dimming is great but it can only do so much, 6-700 nit highlights surrounded by absolute, perfect black looks just as impactful as 2000 nits surrounded by a bit of a halo from the backlight. I've owned both and OLED blows everything else away imo.

You are describing a very specific type of scene where there is a bright object next to complete black, but that's not the entirety of HDR. Sure, you have things like star fields or headlights at night. But quite a lot of HDR scenes are bright outdoor shots during the day time. For those scenes you would be better off having the 2000-nit brightness and being able to preserve highlight detail.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
You are describing a very specific type of scene where there is a bright object next to complete black, but that's not the entirety of HDR. Sure, you have things like star fields or headlights at night. But quite a lot of HDR scenes are bright outdoor shots during the day time. For those scenes you would be better off having the 2000-nit brightness and being able to preserve highlight detail.
Not really imo. Regardless of how bright a scene is, it will still have areas of the screen that are meant to be black. The contrast of an OLED is unmatched by anything, nothing else has that contrast and pop. I've owned quite a few HDR displays over the past 3 years and currently own LED and OLED and the contrast of the OLED still wows me on a daily basis.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of how bright a scene is, it will still have areas of the screen that are meant to be black.

I don't know about that. If you are outdoors on a sunny day, there is not really anything that is completely pitch black. There may be dark shadows, but they are not zero-nit deep space black, they're dark grey. If things are being displayed as pitch black, that's probably shadow crush.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with a Sony Bravia TV - how do I disable it so the "Set up your sources" screen doesn't keep coming up every time I turn off a Bravia select source (such as PS4 Pro or Apple TV 4K).
I haven't had this come up on my A1 + receiver, but doing a search on google it appears someone on one of the reddits said clearing the google play tv & movies cache made it go away for them.

Hmmm, also just a random idea, what are you using as your "TV button" video source? Do you have a regular TV service? I wonder if this comes up if there's no default TV feed source like if someone cuts the cord and no longer has cable, fios, etc.?
I think you can change the "TV button" to any of the hdmi inputs so maybe having it set to a different external device might make it stop doing this?

I have cable and so in the Android input settings it looks like my settings have the TV currently default to HDMI 3/ARC, which is my cable box which I usually leave on, when I press the "TV" button, so sometimes it just goes back to that automatically when I turn a device off.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I don't know about that. If you are outdoors on a sunny day, there is not really anything that is completely pitch black. There may be dark shadows, but they are not zero-nit deep space black, they're dark grey. If things are being displayed as pitch black, that's probably shadow crush.
That's not how content is color graded though. Movies, shows, and videogames are all color graded to have true black values even in bright scenes, no shadow crush. The vast majority of content will have true black in shadow detail, articles of clothing, street signs, fine texture detail, hair, cars, it's everywhere.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
So how long until new release OLED TVs are much cheaper????

Scientists find a cheaper way to light up OLED screens

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-scientists-cheaper-oled-screens.amp

Edit- also what the heck???? O_o

Copper definitely solves the problem of availability since it is a plentiful metal worldwide. Iridium, on the other hand, is found in only a few places—mostly South Africa and parts of Asia.

The most widely-accepted hypothesis that explains iridium's scarcity and its origins is that it traveled here on a meteor—the same one that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

Unless another meteor like that hits Earth, iridium will continue to dwindle in supply. Demand for it is only increasing as smartphones, TVs and other devices that feature OLED screens gain popularity

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Are there 4k TVs in the 42-50" range that can do real 120hz and don't cost an arm and a leg? Or a reliable site you can search by this spec?

Right now the only one I'm finding is the Sony X900F (XBR49X900F). Looks like it has good input lag at 1080p120 and 4k60, middling input lag at 1080p60 (~40ms). $1000 isn't horrible, but definitely a premium over 60 hz sets at this size.

Have an Xbox One S (can play UHD movies), OG PS4, and a good gaming PC (it's not going to push 4k at high fps, but I don't want to limit it to 60hz @ 1080p, when I do hook it up to the TV). Will probably get a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X at some point.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there 4k TVs in the 42-50" range that can do real 120hz and don't cost an arm and a leg? Or a reliable site you can search by this spec?

Right now the only one I'm finding is the Sony X900F (XBR49X900F). Looks like it has good input lag at 1080p120 and 4k60, middling input lag at 1080p60 (~40ms). $1000 isn't horrible, but definitely a premium over 60 hz sets at this size.

Have an Xbox One S (can play UHD movies), OG PS4, and a good gaming PC (it's not going to push 4k at high fps, but I don't want to limit it to 60hz @ 1080p, when I do hook it up to the TV). Will probably get a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X at some point.

The X900F is probably the best 49-50" tv you can buy right now. Its also a great HDR TV for games and movies and supports Dolby Vision.

You would have to go to the top end Samsungs (Q9FN) or any of the OLEDs to get a better overall TV, but they dont come in under 55" anyway.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Has anyone noticed audio delay in Apex Legends on PS4, arc from LG B7 to AVR? When I fire the weapon in the game, it seems like there is a little bit of delay in the gun shot audio vs the animation of the guns recoil. Unsure if it's the game or the tv arc to avr situation. I haven't noticed the issue with any other game, but I haven't played many shooters on the PS4.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Considering upgrading to a 1440p 144hz monitor to play games on my Xbox One X and PC.
I mainly play on Xbox but wouldn't mind the added support for my PC when I upgrade. Any recommendations?

Apr 21, 2018
the Devil May Cry V demo its another perfect example on how a game change between SDR vs HDR.

With HDR, you get this nice image with tons of shadow detail, a little grey here and there BUT perfect blacks on load times screens and cinematics

With SDR, you get a very VERY contrasty image with a lot of depth, tons of shadows and perfect blacks, a little too dark image in some scenes and maybe some black crush.

and still, what kind of image its correct?

Hutty211

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone noticed audio delay in Apex Legends on PS4, arc from LG B7 to AVR? When I fire the weapon in the game, it seems like there is a little bit of delay in the gun shot audio vs the animation of the guns recoil. Unsure if it's the game or the tv arc to avr situation. I haven't noticed the issue with any other game, but I haven't played many shooters on the PS4.

This is pretty common with this TV, in my experience. There is a slight delay with the sound, especially when TV is game mode. Switching the PS4 output to DTS as opposed to Dolby Digital helped me, you can also try using an optical cable instead of ARC or even setting the output to PCM. Good luck.

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
This is pretty common with this TV, in my experience. There is a slight delay with the sound, especially when TV is game mode. Switching the PS4 output to DTS as opposed to Dolby Digital helped me, you can also try using an optical cable instead of ARC or even setting the output to PCM. Good luck.

Awesome thanks. I have it set to Dolby Digital, I'll try DTS. From my understanding, the TV can't pass through PCM 5.1 to the AVR, it will take a PCM signal, but only output it as 2.1. Do you have an insight on that?

Hutty211

Oct 29, 2017
Awesome thanks. I have it set to Dolby Digital, I'll try DTS. From my understanding, the TV can't pass through PCM 5.1 to the AVR, it will take a PCM signal, but only output it as 2.1. Do you have an insight on that?

Correct, if you don't have rear speakers this is probably the best choice and is how I use to run it until my Linker mucked things up. I'd have to double check but I think optical cable and DTS finally fixed the issue for me (at least on my crappy soundbar).

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Correct, if you don't have rear speakers this is probably the best choice and is how I use to run it until my Linker mucked things up. I'd have to double check but I think optical cable and DTS finally fixed the issue for me (at least on my crappy soundbar).

I have a 5.1 system so I'd like to use all the speakers, I'll try DTS tonight. I believe the Nintendo Switch only outputs audio via PCM, explains why I only get 2.1 audio out of that system.

Hutty211

Oct 29, 2017
I have a 5.1 system so I'd like to use all the speakers, I'll try DTS tonight. I believe the Nintendo Switch only outputs audio via PCM, explains why I only get 2.1 audio out of that system.

Alright, well good luck. I'm always lurking in this thread so let me know if you can't get it straightened out and I'll look at my setup.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

thats annoying. does eARC solve this? i hate audio sync issues, but eagerly want a C9

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yup my b7 has hdmi arc audio delay issues with my vizio soundbar as well. Then again the tcl p607 i had a year ago also had the same issue so I was never sure on whether or not it was the tv or the soundbar.

You can tell there is a delay just by navigating the PS4 home screen tiles. I couldn't really tell a difference between DD5.1 and DTS. None of the audio sync options on the tv or soundbar could mitigate it. The only way I've been able to get around it is using optical for audio or PCM but my soundbar system has rears so I rather deal with the compressed audio than losing 5.1.

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Yup my b7 has hdmi arc audio delay issues with my vizio soundbar as well. Then again the tcl p607 i had a year ago also had the same issue so I was never sure on whether or not it was the tv or the soundbar.

You can tell there is a delay just by navigating the PS4 home screen tiles. I couldn't really tell a difference between DD5.1 and DTS. None of the audio sync options on the tv or soundbar could mitigate it. The only way I've been able to get around it is using optical for audio or PCM but my soundbar system has rears so I rather deal with the compressed audio than losing 5.1.

So switching to DTS didn't help either?

Oct 25, 2017
Really trying to hold out on a 65 OLED, but the 55 inch E8 for $1199 is very tempting... my ks8000 has as issue where after an hour or so of being on the whole display colors get washed out. Of course im about 2 months out of warranty

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally used the X900F after the latest android tv update and its such a massive improvement overall, Apple TV is still much better, but now going into the TVs settings is not a painful experience at all.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY