• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a Samsung Q8fn. Did I do good? Will the VRR work on this with an Nvidia GPU since the updated drivers?

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Someone on AVSforum confirmed that Dolby Digital over ARC has audio lag, and that DTS does not. So for those using the PS4 to the tv, and ARC to the AVR, set the PS4 to output DTS.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm about 4 months into my C8. The near black uniformity is not great, but it has never once shown up in regular content. They only time I've ever seen it is when I go looking for it (i.e. slides). All other uniformity is perfect.

When you read reviews about near black uniformity, what content is it manifesting itself in??

woo

Nov 11, 2017
So I'm about 4 months into my C8. The near black uniformity is not great, but it has never once shown up in regular content. They only time I've ever seen it is when I go looking for it (i.e. slides). All other uniformity is perfect.

When you read reviews about near black uniformity, what content is it manifesting itself in??

Isn't Arrival supposed to be a good disc to show up such issues?

I have no idea what the black uniformity is like on my C8. I haven't gone looking for it. Ignorance is bliss! I have just been enjoying the stunning image quality. I have just watched the first two seasons of The Expanse on Blu Ray which IIRC you recommended and were right to do so. Season 3 is pre-ordered but won't be here until November :( and I have no idea when or even if season 4 will be available. I might just have to re-read all the books to get my fix especially since they changed quite a lot in the tv adaptation.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017

RE2 was pretty bad.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Really trying to hold out on a 65 OLED, but the 55 inch E8 for $1199 is very tempting... my ks8000 has as issue where after an hour or so of being on the whole display colors get washed out. Of course im about 2 months out of warranty
Wow, that's a fantastic price! Do you know if whatever this store is ships to the UK?
If the Costco UK sale will last until next week, I'll pick the 55 B8 for approximately the same price.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So would a X-Rite i1Display Pro and the Calman software be all I need to calibrate my TV?

This video seems to be all I'd need to get it done, no?

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Arrival supposed to be a good disc to show up such issues?

I have no idea what the black uniformity is like on my C8. I haven't gone looking for it. Ignorance is bliss! I have just been enjoying the stunning image quality. I have just watched the first two seasons of The Expanse on Blu Ray which IIRC you recommended and were right to do so. Season 3 is pre-ordered but won't be here until November :( and I have no idea when or even if season 4 will be available. I might just have to re-read all the books to get my fix especially since they changed quite a lot in the tv adaptation.

Yeah arrival looks fine though!

And re: Expanse I'm glad you're loving the show. It's streaming on Amazon Prime right now (S1-3) so if you have a membership or get a 7-day trial, you won't have to wait until November

Ok cool, haven't played it yet

woo

Nov 11, 2017

And re: Expanse I'm glad you're loving the show. It's streaming on Amazon Prime right now (S1-3) so if you have a membership or get a 7-day trial, you won't have to wait until November

Oh good, it's a nicely shot movie from what I remember.

Yes, I have some mixed feelings but they definitely tend towards the positive camp. I think some of the acting is less than stellar and I don't like some of the changes they made but some of them were for the better so swings and roundabouts.

Not on Amazon UK I'm afraid. Season 3 is not on there at all, just 1 & 2. I have the Blu Ray discs for both of those and 3 is pre-ordered. No idea yet how I am going to see season 4. It's the 21st century and we have the internet. These territorial rights issues are so regressive.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Oh good, it's a nicely shot movie from what I remember.

Yes, I have some mixed feelings but they definitely tend towards the positive camp. I think some of the acting is less than stellar and I don't like some of the changes they made but some of them were for the better so swings and roundabouts.

Not on Amazon UK I'm afraid. Season 3 is not on there at all, just 1 & 2. I have the Blu Ray discs for both of those and 3 is pre-ordered. No idea yet how I am going to see season 4. It's the 21st century and we have the internet. These territorial rights issues are so regressive.

Yeah, the acting is better than it has any right to be, considering it's a SyFy show, but when it is bad it's bad

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ok cool, haven't played it yet

If Arrival looks good then you have a good panel.

I was pretty happy when I found out mine is good as well.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I'm in the UK and season 3 is available on Prime for me.

:o I checked yesterday and it was not! Thanks :).

Just googled "The expanse season 3 amazon prime" and it took me right to it. Yet when I looked on Amazon Prime yesterday searching in several different ways it would not shop up. Bad Amazon Prime!

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
:o I checked yesterday and it was not! Thanks :).

Just googled "The expanse season 3 amazon prime" and it took me right to it. Yet when I looked on Amazon Prime yesterday searching in several different ways it would not shop up. Bad Amazon Prime!

It's possible it was only just added, I just happened to notice it earlier today when I was looking for something else entirely. Anyway, I'm happy I could help :)

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

As someone mentioned. Re2 in the sections you have a flashlight. As they seem to intentionally elevate the blacks so you can see better. God of war in caves. I've heard people complain about it in seas of thieves.

It's not necessarily just near black though. That's just where you can see it on static screens. Like for example the amazon prime splash screen when you first start the lg app. I can occasionally see it when content in an area of the screen is mainly one color and the camera pans across where the vertical bands are. Like say a wall or something. It ends up being similar to what people usually only associate with dirty screen effect on led tvs.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Be aware that some content has vertical bands in it, so it is not always entirely accurate. I always bring up this example, but the film Coherence is a perfect example of this - when I bought my B6 it was one of the first films I watched on it and I nearly returned it, so shocking were the dark night-time shots on it. Then I watched the film on my MacBook and the lines were still there, so it was a source problem, not the TV.

Obviously this isn't likely to apply to games. I still think the best test is side-scrolling platformers, especially 'Inside' with its light grey backgrounds. If you don't see bands in that you never will.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dear lord am I going to have a hard time picking a 4K set when I have the money... Every time I think I've somewhat made up my mind, I change it. Popping into Best Buy and seeing the in-store models doesn't help at all.

Samsung kind of rigs the game by having Xbox demos on their QLED sets. I really dig the brightness levels there and everything just looks so damn clean. I might be just as impressed by the OLED sets, but they just have demo videos of some old people checking the weather.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Salt Fat Acid Heat (Netflix) is legit the most beautiful TV show I have seen yet. For anyone with a DV set, watch it.

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
B8 is being delivered today. Rewired the home theater in anticipation!
Anyone have any hot tips for setup?

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
well this is great, my vizio is having the same issue again. i think the issue is the handshake or whatever the xbox one x sends to the tv. tried to soft reset, factory reset and all that jazz, still no avail :(

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Does QLED with high nits mean better HDR content than OLEDs? How does HDR look on say Vizio PQ vs OLED?

A high output LCD can deliver more of the rec2020 volume volume due to it's peak brightness and how colours are delivered through the colour filters.
If you are in anything but a pitch black room or sit futher away for your screen, then OLED's capabilties become diminished somewhat.

If you watch lots of SDR content- older games, broadcast TV , DVD/Blu rays, then OLED really can't be beaten. If you are specifically interested in HDR and really want the difference to be more visible, then perhaps a premium LCD is the way to go.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
If you watch lots of SDR content- older games, broadcast TV , DVD/Blu rays, then OLED really can't be beaten. If you are specifically interested in HDR and really want the difference to be more visible, then perhaps a premium LCD is the way to go.
Why is OLED able to better handle old content than LED? Resolution scaling difference?

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is OLED able to better handle old content than LED? Resolution scaling difference?

Keep in mind that OLEDs also win the HDR section of the TV shootouts expert calibrators throw every year.

And its not very hard to make a room dark or sit within a normal distance of the TV, so I think they are also the best for HDR if you have a normal room where the lights can be turned off lol.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So would a X-Rite i1Display Pro and the Calman software be all I need to calibrate my TV?

This video seems to be all I'd need to get it done, no?

Yes. You also need something to use as a pattern generator. You can use a disc, or something like mobile forge. Mobile forge is lowest cost of entry for a HDMI pattern generator. However you cannot do HDR with it unless you have a way to inject metadata for it with something like a linker or another HDFury product.

If you get a legit pattern generator you can do everything you need. I would suggest the mobile forge route as you can have more control options for the pattern and insertions etc.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You would also need an HDMI pattern generator
Yes. You also need something to use as a pattern generator. You can use a disc, or something like mobile forge. Mobile forge is lowest cost of entry for a HDMI pattern generator. However you cannot do HDR with it unless you have a way to inject metadata for it with something like a linker or another HDFury product.

If you get a legit pattern generator you can do everything you need. I would suggest the mobile forge route as you can have more control options for the pattern and insertions etc.

Cool! Thanks you guys!

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Someone on AVSforum confirmed that Dolby Digital over ARC has audio lag, and that DTS does not. So for those using the PS4 to the tv, and ARC to the AVR, set the PS4 to output DTS.
This is true on my C7. Dolby Digital has bad input lag over Arc, DTS has just slight, unnoticable lag. Not sure why, as i thought DTS was a much better codec.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Seems arc related as I don't get the same delay when connecting optical from soundbar to tv and using dd51 on ps4

The delay is still there in arc/dts but less so. Also had the same issue with a tcl p series so might not necessarily just be the tv either.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Because with the old content, the TV isn't stretched at all, so it can render the image with super accuracy, with perfect blacks, per pixel luminance resolution. Basically for all of that older content is well within its reach

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
So I bought a Vizio P Series 65" TV. So far I'm loving it! However, I've noticed after watching the TV for around 20 minutes, the LED array shows up on the screen. It isn't very noticeable, but I'm worried that it could develop into a bigger problem in the future.

When I first tune the screen on it looks fine
B57F3B664652437B9E05.jpeg

But after 20 minutes...
1D4FEC91AC3F4456AD69.jpeg

You can see a grid appear towards the center left and right.

I still have another week to return it to Best Buy, but I'm wondering if it worth playing the panel roulette game or if I should just get used to that pattern. Also, boxing up a 65" TV and returning it sounds like a pain in the ass haha. But I really don't want this to bite me in the ass in a year or 2 if it can get worse.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
well this is great, my vizio is having the same issue again. i think the issue is the handshake or whatever the xbox one x sends to the tv. tried to soft reset, factory reset and all that jazz, still no avail :(

I had the same issue and found out it was actually my Xbox one x. I had to hard reset the Xbox and the handshaking issue went away. It's funny because I also have my Ps4Pro connected and never had the handshake issue using that input.

Jun 10, 2018
You would also need an HDMI pattern generator

Cool! Thanks you guys!
You can purchase an HDR Test Pattern from this website for $25 (MP4/TS files for use with USB) or $50 + Shipping for the Blu-Ray Disc: https://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/dvs_products.html

TheGregReaper

Oct 27, 2017
Does the B8/C8 have the same ARC issues as the B7/C7?

I have a C8 coming on Friday and may need to replace my Receiver if I can't use ARC properly through HDMI.

I accidentally broke the optical port a couple months ago...

B_Mild

Dec 1, 2017
Does the B8/C8 have the same ARC issues as the B7/C7?

I have a C8 coming on Friday and may need to replace my Receiver if I can't use ARC properly through HDMI.

I accidentally broke the optical port a couple months ago...

What issues does B7 and C7 have over ARC? I've had no problems using ARC on my B7 to my Samsung 5.1 soundbar (MS650 with sub and rears added in).

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Can confirm C8 OLED (and most likely the 7s and 6s too) is amazing at upscaling.

Source: having already watched a couple hundred hours of non 4k content :)

So you can confirm the upscaling is good on the C7 even though you don't have one or never used one? Interesting.

I know for a fact LG improved upscaling on the 8 series OLED's so I don't doubt it's good but to say upscaling is good on ALL OLED's is outlandish . It all depends on the TV's model and capabilities.

Here's a comparison shot I took when I had my C7, between it and the Sony X930E which has superior upscaling capabilities:

LG C7
https://i.imgur.com/kkzsNe8.jpg

Sony X930e
https://i.imgur.com/s6nzFKD.jpg

Both TV's were using identical sources. Vincent from HDTVtest did a comparison video on this showing the improvements in upscaling between the 7 and 8 series.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you can confirm the upscaling is good on the C7 even though you don't have one or never used one? Interesting.

I know for a fact LG improved upscaling on the 8 series OLED's so I don't doubt it's good but to say upscaling is good on ALL OLED's is outlandish . It all depends on the TV's model and capabilities.

Here's a comparison shot I took when I had my C7, between it and the Sony X930E which has superior upscaling capabilities:

LG C7
https://i.imgur.com/kkzsNe8.jpg

Sony X930e
https://i.imgur.com/s6nzFKD.jpg

Both TV's were using identical sources. Vincent from HDTVtest did a comparison video on this showing the improvements in upscaling between the 7 and 8 series.

I'm sorry if I'm super defensive. You have to understand just the amount of FUD you have to deal with as an OLED owner, so I simply assumed the 7 or even 6 were similar to the 8s in upscaling, that might not be the case then.

Just curious, what was the source resolution of those images? cause I have never seen anything look as bad as that first pic, even 720p stuff looks better. It almost looks like something is seriously wrong with that panel.