• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
also,
I had the same issue and found out it was actually my Xbox one x. I had to hard reset the Xbox and the handshaking issue went away. It's funny because I also have my Ps4Pro connected and never had the handshake issue using that input.
man, i dont know what to do anymore because i disconnected it and did the factory reset on my vizio. Still, it shows up a blank screen even though i can still see the letters, hear sound like for the set up and cant proceed the "add new device" steps via the vizio app. I just cant get the screen to go passed the logo every once in a while when i do that soft reset. turn off tv, unplug, hold power button for like 10 seconds and then repower. After the vizio logo it just flashes and goes to straight black. lol :( any advice?

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
I'm sorry if I'm super defensive. You have to understand just the amount of FUD you have to deal with as an OLED owner, so I simply assumed the 7 or even 6 were similar to the 8s in upscaling, that might not be the case then.

Just curious, what was the source resolution of those images? cause I have never seen anything look as bad as that first pic, even 720p stuff looks better. It almost looks like something is seriously wrong with that panel.

I was using my Note 9 to take both pics. Didn't change any settings. I was watching that particular episode of Westworld using the HBO Now app on the Xbox One X, on both TV's.

1080p stuff on Netflix looks fine. I mean what exactly are you watching? Some apps that have really poor quality streams can look really bad but that's really not the TVs fault.

If the sources are identical on both TV's then explain to me why it looks better on the X930e if it has nothing to do with the TV's upscaling capabilities and only has to do with the quality of the stream?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was using my Note 9 to take both pics. Didn't change any settings. I was watching that particular episode of Westworld using the HBO Now app on the Xbox One X, on both TV's.

If the sources are identical on both TV's then explain to me why it looks better on the X930e if it has nothing to do with the TV's upscaling capabilities and only has to do with the quality of the stream?

Well Sony's upscaler is one of their claims to fame. With some claiming on the high end they make some upscale 1080p content look close to native.

Perhaps it's not that others have trash upscalers but rather Sony's high end x1 is really good?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
And that's my issue with his comment. I know he's an OLED fanboy but at least give people accurate info, don't make stuff up.

i deleted my comment but the sentiment remains

i just want the new hdmi 2.1 tvs to drop so i can buy one and stop dealing with more toxic fanboyism i didnt know existed 3 months ago

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And that's my issue with his comment. I know he's an OLED fanboy but at least give people accurate info, don't make stuff up.

I was respectful to you and explained why I made that comment and even apologized, there is no need for name calling here.

i deleted my comment but the sentiment remains

i just want the new hdmi 2.1 tvs to drop so i can buy one and stop dealing with more toxic fanboyism i didnt know existed 3 months ago

Now I'm wondering what said to me.

I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway with any of my previous comments.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I was respectful to you and explained why I made that comment and even apologized, there is no need for name calling here.

Now I'm wondering what said to me.

I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway with any of my previous comments.

nah you're good my guy (thats why i deleted my original comment), it's about general fanboyism not anything specific you said or did

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW

If calling you an "OLED fanboy" is offensive then I apologize. I guess It's just my observation reading posts from you in this thread over the past year or so. My mistake.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If calling you an "OLED fanboy" is offensive then I apologize. I guess It's just my observation reading posts from you in this thread over the past year or so. My mistake.

Just imagine if my original reply to you was to just dismiss your pics and call you an "LCD fanboy" instead of rectifying like I did, and imagine if that type of name calling was the level of discourse in this thread whenever anyone disagreed with anyone... yea it would not look good at all for the thread or anyone involved in it.

For the record, I got my C8 in August (not even a year old), but I had an X900F before that, an LCD TV that I still constantly praise in this thread. You only probably have to go back less then a page or two to see me talking positives about the X900F. Add to it that during the same period of time I've owned an OLED my most recommended TV is probably the TCL 6 followed by the Sony X900F.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Just imagine if my original reply to you was to just dismiss your pics and call you an "LCD fanboy" instead of rectifying like I did, and imagine if that type of name calling was the level of discourse in this thread whenever anyone disagreed with anyone... yea it would not look good at all for the thread or anyone involved in it.

For the record, I got my C8 in August (not even a year old), but I had an X900F before that, an LCD TV that I still constantly praise in this thread. You only probably have to go back less then a page or two to see me talking positives about the X900F. Add to it that during the same period of time I've owned an OLED my most recommended TV is probably the TCL 6 followed by the Sony X900F.

Your response about how the upscaling is great on the 8 series so it must also be great on the previous series, even though you've never previously owned a 7 or 6 series, came off as fanboy'ish. I'm in no way trying to say one TV tech is better than the other with my response. I was simply showing that not all OLED's have amazing upscaling capabilities. Same goes for LCD's. It all depends on the TV and the tech used to upscale anything not 4k.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without wanting to come across as an OLED FANBOI!!!!111 I find the upscaling in general good on my B6. I would argue that the quality of the source plays more of a part than the resolution of the image. For example 1080p Blu-rays look stunning whereas low-quality 1080p streams do not look as good, especially in darker scenes. I don't think anyone would argue that Sony are not better though, whether it be in their OLED sets or their LCD, so maybe it isn't the screen technology that determines upscaling quality but the hardware underneath?

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without wanting to come across as an OLED FANBOI!!!!111 I find the upscaling in general good on my B6. I would argue that the quality of the source plays more of a part than the resolution of the image. For example 1080p Blu-rays look stunning whereas low-quality 1080p streams do not look as good, especially in darker scenes. I don't think anyone would argue that Sony are not better though, whether it be in their OLED sets or their LCD, so maybe it isn't the screen technology that determines upscaling quality but the hardware underneath?

Yea, I've heard 6 and 7 series owners (here and avsforum) say they are happy with the upscaling abilities of their sets. That is why I assumed they were similar to the 8 series and not such a massive difference as those pics showed.

That's why I find the claim that anything non 4k looks horrible on a 7 series a bit hard to believe and outlandish :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's why I find the claim that anything non 4k looks horrible on a 7 series a bit hard to believe and outlandish :)

That is just plain wrong, that's why. Watch that same Westworld episode on blu-ray and it will look great, whereas watching the HBO stream will not look good, as the image posted before shows. I would contend that you would still get that banding even on your C8, although HBO have improved their stream quality of late, so the test wouldn't be scientific now anyway.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is just plain wrong, that's why. Watch that same Westworld episode on blu-ray and it will look great, whereas watching the HBO stream will not look good, as the image posted before shows. I would contend that you would still get that banding even on your C8, although HBO have improved their stream quality of late, so the test wouldn't be scientific now anyway.

It all started with a post from Evilboris which I still agree with since it makes sense and mirrors my experience with SDR and older content on my C8.

I kinda figured this to be the case but then I got jumped on and got called a fanboy for assuming that it was the same or similar enough on the 6 and 7 series as my C8.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It all started with a post from Evilboris which I still agree with since it makes sense and mirrors my experience with SDR and older content on my C8.

I kinda figured this to be the case but then I got jumped on and got called a fanboy for assuming that it was the same or similar enough on the 6 and 7 series as my C8.

Again though, SDR can be of decent quality or poor quality. It's not always the resolution that is responsible for how good an image looks on OLED. And just throwing 'OLED' out there isn't really helpful, as a Sony OLED is going to massively outperform an LG B6 when it comes to upscaling. And yes, by all accounts, LG *have* improved upscaling with the C8 but it's not bad on the B6 or B7 at all, especially when fed decent source material. The difference with the Sony (and I'm presuming the C8 given your experience) is it can clean up poor source material - with the B6 at least, the truth is - feed it quality and it shines, feed it shit and it looks bad. There is no getting away from that, but resolution isn't the issue there.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This whole discussion has me curious as to how the Panasonic and Philips OLEDs handle upscaling from good and poor sources.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Yeah I would like to test that scene on my C7, because the image looked off.
It's from Season 2, Episode 10 - "The Passenger". The scene is towards the end of the episode. I was streaming the episode using the HBO Now app on my Xbox One. I would imagine it looks fine watching the 4k Blu-ray as someone mentioned above. Obviously you're not going to have issues watching native 4k content.

All I'm saying is every TV model out there handles upscaling differently, some better than others. Just because you buy an OLED doesn't automatically guarantee you're going to get superior upscaling. I've said my piece and I'm done. Don't want to be saying anything negative about OLED because apparently there are some owners here who can't handle anything negative being said about their precious tech.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So you can confirm the upscaling is good on the C7 even though you don't have one or never used one? Interesting.

I know for a fact LG improved upscaling on the 8 series OLED's so I don't doubt it's good but to say upscaling is good on ALL OLED's is outlandish . It all depends on the TV's model and capabilities.

Here's a comparison shot I took when I had my C7, between it and the Sony X930E which has superior upscaling capabilities:

LG C7
https://i.imgur.com/kkzsNe8.jpg

Sony X930e
https://i.imgur.com/s6nzFKD.jpg

Both TV's were using identical sources. Vincent from HDTVtest did a comparison video on this showing the improvements in upscaling between the 7 and 8 series.

I have a C6 and an HD sky box (1080i). And I have never seen anything like that. Even on SD channels. In 2 years of viewing. Something is wrong there. No way should you see that amount of posterisation if the TV has been correctly calibrated and isn't faulty.

Also from that single screenshot it looks to me like you're seeing a lot of black crush on the OLED - which again should not be happening in that scene.

Also I'd say that few or more likely none of the issues present in the image have anything to do with upscaling. They all look like problems with brightness and colour gradients. Which could either be a settings issue or a fault.

What RGB settings are you using on your Xbox?

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's from Season 2, Episode 10 - "The Passenger". The scene is towards the end of the episode. I was streaming the episode using the HBO Now app on my Xbox One. I would imagine it looks fine watching the 4k Blu-ray as someone mentioned above. Obviously you're not going to have issues watching native 4k content.

All I'm saying is every TV model out there handles upscaling differently, some better than others. Just because you buy an OLED doesn't automatically guarantee you're going to get superior upscaling. I've said my piece and I'm done. Don't want to be saying anything negative about OLED because apparently there are some owners here who can't handle anything negative being said about their precious tech.

There is no need to be so dramatic, you have sparked an interesting debate. As said, on my B6 the image you posted of Westworld is *exactly* as it looks here, but I own the BD set and the issue isn't there. This proves that resolution isn't the issue so much as how horribly compressed HBO streams were. Both 1080p yet blu-rays look fine because they have plenty of bitrate thrown their way. The B6 and B7 did not play well with poor source material. There is no denying that, but resolution isn't really the issue.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was planning on using HBO Now to watch the upcoming season of GoT... maybe I should try it first and see how it looks to avoid any surprises like that lol.

HBO Go looked fine to me a few months ago so hopefully HBO Now is the same.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Are we even talking specifically about upscaling at this point? I missed the two images the first time I responded but the difference could be how the Sony is applying additional picture processing. Like the feature that helps eliminate color banding. Also stuff like noise reduction settings can actually help on poorer quality/lower bit rate sources.

Perhaps they are better now but game of thrones streams were annoyingly bad and pixelated. Even when hitting their highest quality.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was planning on using HBO Now to watch the upcoming season of GoT... maybe I should try it first and see how it looks to avoid any surprises like that lol.

HBO Go looked fine to me a few months ago so hopefully HBO Now is the same.

HBO have recently improved the quality of their streams. I am watching True Detective on Go and it is fine, even on my B6. HBO Now and Go use identical streams.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
streaming services in general need to get better - i get 900 up/down and it seems crazy not to use all that bandwitdh if customers have it

yeah that was unfair, sorry about that

Last edited:

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I have a B8 and a Samsung MU8500, both 55", the OLED completely destroys the Samsung in 4K HDR content, but 1080p looks better in the Samsung IMO.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
the C9 is supposed to be even better with upscaling and motion judder - i'm looking forward to reviews

Despite not getting one I hope the C9 blows the C8 out of the water in upscaling. I hope manufacturers of top end sets continue to focus on sub-native because as we move to 8K (in 2020 or 2021 at the latest) EVERYTHING will be sub-native

I have a B8 and a Samsung MU8500, both 55", the OLED completely destroys the Samsung in 4K HDR content, but 1080p looks better in the Samsung IMO.

Yeah the B8 has the older processor, which is *the* reason I went with the C8 instead. Otherwise the panels are (mostly) identical.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I guess that makes sense since the B8 is using a slightly updated version of the 7 series processor.

It does make me happy to know that the C8 got a big benefit from the new processor as upscaling is a key feature of mine (as you, and the world, knows).

Yea I'm actually really glad now that I went with a C8. I do watch a lot of content from not so perfect sources like cable/network channel streaming apps.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I guess that makes sense since the B8 is using a slightly updated version of the 7 series processor.

Yea I'm actually really glad now that I went with a C8. I do watch a lot of content from not so perfect sources like cable/network channel streaming apps.

I mean, it looks great in the B8, but the Samsung does magic with 1080p/1080i.

I won't sacrifice my beautiful perfect blacks for a little less softer image tho

Darksaberx

Jun 13, 2018
Apart from a few more visible wrinkles on the Sony set, the upscaling looks comparable on both sets.

The real winner here is the smooth gradation feature (probably my most favourite feature of the entire set) on the Sony set that eliminated most of the colour banding due to low quality source.

If I recall correctly, LG stated at CES19 that they will be introducing the smooth gradation feature on the 9 series OLED tvs.

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
Hello guys.

My Samsung 49KS8000 (7000 here in France), from late 2016, have shown signs of light bleed here and there (along the bottom edge, with some "points of light" visible on bright colors) for less than a year.

Since I have a 5 years warranty I decided to call yesterday to have it repaired, and they told me that if I want, my warranty allow me to get all my money back to buy a new set, I just have to (obviously) return the TV.

So here I am, with 1200€ to invest into a new TV, and I'm torn between a 55' LG B8, C8, or a Samsung Q9N. All have both pros and cons.

I'd love to go with Oled, but the Samsung One Connect is a lifesaver, having my current set wallmount, plus it has VRR. On the other hand, Oled viewing angle is also great to have as my living room is quite large.

It would serve at 30% PS4 pro, Xbox One X, and Switch, and 70% watching movies and TV Show with an Apple TV 4k.

I also read here and there that motion is terrible on 30 fps games with LG Oled, forcing to use motion compensation and thus quitting game mode. Is this a real dealbraker ? I don't play online or competitive games but I also like hard platform games like Celeste B-C Sides.

Any thought ?

Thanks to everyone who will help me :)

Last edited:

tiku

Oct 26, 2017
I went from a KS8000 (KS799 here in Spain too :P) to a LG C8 almost two months ago after reading, asking and watching tons of reviews. I didn't know if I should go to a FALD TV like the Q9FN or if I should go to the OLED, but nowadays I know I chose the right path.

The image quality is sooo better thanks to the perfect black that you can't believe it until you're in front of your new TV. Besides, one thing I really didn't like (and annoyed me every single day) about my KS8000/7000 were the view angles since my linving room is also as yours: quite large. With the OLED sets you will completely forget about that issue.

Hello guys.

My Samsung 49KS8000 (7000 here in France), from late 2016, have shown signs of light bleed here and there (along the bottom edge, with some "points of light" visible on bright colors) for less than a year.

Since I have a 5 years warranty I decided to call yesterday to have it repaired, and they told me that if I want, my warranty allow me to get all my money back to buy a new set, I just have to (obviously) return the TV.

So here I am, with 1200€ to invest into a new TV, and I'm torn between a 55' LG B8, C8, or a Samsung Q9N. All have both pros and cons.

I'd love to go with Oled, but the Samsung One Connect is a lifesaver, having my current set wallmount, plus it has VRR. On the other hand, Oled viewing angle is also great to have as my living room is quite large.

It would serve at 30% PS4 pro, Xbox One X, and Switch, and 70% watching movies and TV Show with an Apple TV 4k.

I also read here and there that motion is terrible on 30 fps games with LG Oled, forcing to use motion compensation and thus quitting game mode. Is this a real dealbraker ? I don't play online or competitive games but I also like hard platform games like Celeste B-C Sides.

Any thought ?

Thanks to everyone who will help me :)

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
I really pay attention to upscaling as that's like one of my top 3 needs in a TV. I had a 6 series OLED and it did great with 1080p and up, regular cable 720p/1080i can be hit or miss but was definitely not as good as some others upscaling abilities (Samsung, Sony).

I have 8 series right now and can tell you that the jump from 6 to 8 series in terms of upscaling sub-1080p content is noticeable. Still not as good as Sony's upscaling but it's better than it was.

I'm hoping the 9 series gets on par with Sony.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Upscaling seems important as the majority of content isn't 4k yet. Hell broadcast tv is still 720p in places. It's one of the reasons I'm still looking at the Sony.

Rrang

Oct 27, 2017
OH, USA
Thinking about grabbing the P Quantum for Costco while they are still on sale... are they really that good like the reviews say? I can't get over being nervous about OLEDs and burn in (it will primarily be used for gaming).

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get over being nervous about OLEDs and burn in (it will primarily be used for gaming).
I'm the same way. Yeah I bet I would be blown away by oled but I game a lot and use it as a pc monitor (along with movies/tv/sports/YouTube/Giant Bomb) so I'm worst case scenario for burn in and will always be nervous. I was suggested a Sony 900F instead earlier in the thread. Still undecided to be honest as the oled quality is hard to pass up I guess in my mind.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Personally I think the upscaling abilities of these top end sets, from the past couple of years is WAY over critiqued, I mean the B7 does an amazing job with any resolution, and PQ is extremely close to any flagship TV I've had, any differences are going to be very minimal, and I bet side by side with a C8 would be really close.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This might sound really fucking stupid, but has anyone upgraded from a 55'' to a 65'' or larger and found it at times to be too large at the same viewing distance? I had been wanting to upgrade to a 65'' for a while now, thinking that it would be perfect, and because my B6 randomly died recently, I had my chance to test out having that size for a while. For letterboxed movies, I think it's perfect. I thought the 55'' was perfect for games and full screen shows, but that I could use a larger screen for most blu-rays.

I've had it over a week, and I'm still not used to the size, and I'm not sure if when I actually buy my next TV which size to go for. I used to believe bigger is always better, but I'm not sure I actually like part of the image being out of the area of my FOV acuity. I'm sitting approximately six feet away, and while it really gives me more of a "theater screen" type of sensation, I'm honestly not sure I like it.

My gaming use on it is, random. I also play on a PC monitor and 42'' plasma for some things. I mainly watch a lot of serials and movies, and I might shift into watching more UHDs in the near future. No idea what to do, especially when ten inches is about a thousand more dollars.

Personally I think the upscaling abilities of these top end sets, from the past couple of years is WAY over critiqued, I mean the B7 does an amazing job with any resolution, and PQ is extremely close to any flagship TV I've had, any differences are going to be very minimal, and I bet side by side with a C8 would be really close.

I haven't been able to see what the C7/C8 looks like in that regard with their better processors, but on both the B6 and E6, the upscaling is simply OK. I don't really know what other TVs are considered great aside from Sony in the past, but I watch a lot of movies through PC, and the PC blows away the 2016 models for upscaling 1080p content. Especially with noise.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree. As I've stated 3 times today, resolution isn't that important with the older OLEDs, the quality of the source material is. 1080p blu-rays look exceptional. 1080p streams, never as good. The upscaling is the same for both.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
This might sound really fucking stupid, but has anyone upgraded from a 55'' to a 65'' or larger and found it at times to be too large at the same viewing distance? I had been wanting to upgrade to a 65'' for a while now, thinking that it would be perfect, and because my B6 randomly died recently, I had my chance to test out having that size for a while. For letterboxed movies, I think it's perfect. I thought the 55'' was perfect for games and full screen shows, but that I could use a larger screen for most blu-rays.

I've had it over a week, and I'm still not used to the size, and I'm not sure if when I actually buy my next TV which size to go for. I used to believe bigger is always better, but I'm not sure I actually like part of the image being out of the area of my FOV acuity. I'm sitting approximately six feet away, and while it really gives me more of a "theater screen" type of sensation, I'm honestly not sure I like it.

My gaming use on it is, random. I also play on a PC monitor and 42'' plasma for some things. I mainly watch a lot of serials and movies, and I might shift into watching more UHDs in the near future. No idea what to do, especially when ten inches is about a thousand more dollars.

I haven't been able to see what the C7/C8 looks like in that regard with their better processors, but on both the B6 and E6, the upscaling is simply OK. I don't really know what other TVs are considered great aside from Sony in the past, but I watch a lot of movies through PC, and the PC blows away the 2016 models for upscaling 1080p content. Especially with noise.

Panasonic TV's are great, and the B7 is so close that I couldnt tell the difference, had them side by side for a day, before I sold it, don't get me wrong there are differences generally, but top end TV's do an amazing job on the whole.

I agree. As I've stated 3 times today, resolution isn't that important with the older OLEDs, the quality of the source material is. 1080p blu-rays look exceptional. 1080p streams, never as good. The upscaling is the same for both.

I've been setting up OSSC's for a couple of friends recently, and it's a great device to quickly change resolutions from 240p to 1200p, and really see the upscaling engines kicking in, from 720p onwards on a mid range Sony and a B7, it's quite amazing how sharp 720p does look when mapped to 4K, really not far from 1200p at all.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that Samsung's 2019 QLED lineup is out in the open, I think I've finally decided on a TV goal! The Q90 isn't perfect, but it looks like it'll fit more of my needs than the LG C9 would. Can't wait to finally upgrade!