• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yep yep! Sorry, I assumed it was already posted in here. The full lineup was announced yesterday.

Link

Thanks! Maybe it had but keeping up with this thread is a bit of a mess! And whoa. Q90 looks a bit out of the price range I'm willing to pay for an LCD, so I'll be on the lookout for sales later on. Will have to settle for a Q90 or Q70 depending on sale prices. I'm so glad to see that their QLED models are also supporting the FreeSync/VRR techs they had only announced for the OLEDs thus far. This will be good enough to hold me over until MicroLED becomes desirable.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Are we even talking specifically about upscaling at this point? I missed the two images the first time I responded but the difference could be how the Sony is applying additional picture processing. Like the feature that helps eliminate color banding. Also stuff like noise reduction settings can actually help on poorer quality/lower bit rate sources.

Perhaps they are better now but game of thrones streams were annoyingly bad and pixelated. Even when hitting their highest quality.
Yeah, it's not about upscaling but about post-processing for reduction of noise/compression artifacts. A great source will look great on OLED, no matter the resolution. A bad source can be cleaned up better by some Sony TVs that are out there atm. This years LG OLEDs have been announced to come with similar features.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Upscaling matters for 720p/1080i, which is what most cable content is from all providers and tv networks. The tvs ability to upscale plus clean up noise and other things matters.

Yes we all know poor source = OLED shows the content's flaws but some are better than others at correcting or limiting the issues like Sony.

Again, I can tell you that the 2016 series was way softer picture than the 2018 series OLEDs for that sub bluray content.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
only the trash model is available for 55''

booooo
EDIT:

conflicting information

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-qled-tvs-2019-take-on-oled-with-bigger-screens-than-ever/

Looks like the Q70R may be available in 55'' - could be a good option, considering it comes with VRR. Wonder if that means true HDMI 2.1 or just last year's VRR.

I'm interested in seeing that information too. Honestly, the QLED sets contain enough of the HDMI 2.1 features I want for me to not care either way though.

Yukstin

Oct 31, 2017
Nashville, TN
This might sound really fucking stupid, but has anyone upgraded from a 55'' to a 65'' or larger and found it at times to be too large at the same viewing distance? I had been wanting to upgrade to a 65'' for a while now, thinking that it would be perfect, and because my B6 randomly died recently, I had my chance to test out having that size for a while. For letterboxed movies, I think it's perfect. I thought the 55'' was perfect for games and full screen shows, but that I could use a larger screen for most blu-rays.

I went from a 54 inch plasma to the 65 inch C6. I was blown away by the increase in picture size but it didn't seem too big for my room. It could have something to do with the thick bezel on the plasma to the very small one on the C6. The screen real estate went up without the frame size going up that much.

I would say go for 65 and if you get it home and it's too big, return it and stay at 55.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
HBO have recently improved the quality of their streams. I am watching True Detective on Go and it is fine, even on my B6. HBO Now and Go use identical streams.
Excellent. Good news for when GoT comes back in April.

The real winner here is the smooth gradation feature (probably my most favourite feature of the entire set) on the Sony set that eliminated most of the colour banding due to low quality source.
I love this feature too.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Apart from a few more visible wrinkles on the Sony set, the upscaling looks comparable on both sets.

The real winner here is the smooth gradation feature (probably my most favourite feature of the entire set) on the Sony set that eliminated most of the colour banding due to low quality source.

If I recall correctly, LG stated at CES19 that they will be introducing the smooth gradation feature on the 9 series OLED tvs.

It actually already sort of exists in the c8. They just did mixed it with the mpg noise reduction setting which kind of limited its use. C9 is separating it.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm the same way. Yeah I bet I would be blown away by oled but I game a lot and use it as a pc monitor (along with movies/tv/sports/YouTube/Giant Bomb) so I'm worst case scenario for burn in and will always be nervous. I was suggested a Sony 900F instead earlier in the thread. Still undecided to be honest as the oled quality is hard to pass up I guess in my mind.
I've been using my OLED for all the things you mention, plus music production, word processing and other PC stuff for a year and a half with no problem. YMMV, but it's great, and even if I do ever get burn in I'd still buy another.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent. Good news for when GoT comes back in April.

I mean, don't get your hopes up too much, but I've definitely noticed it. In the past I would have to download shows in other ways, despite subscribing. Now I don't bother. Watched Vice Principals lately and that looked great, and as mentioned True Detective is fine.

GoT is going to be a stress test though with all those dark, smoky scenes.

Wonderbrah

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
For those that use LG's dynamic tone mapping for HDR games (curious, will we ever get dolby vision mastered games?), do you find that all it does is brighten the image significantly? I notice no other benefit other than a brighter image, which I personally do not like as I feel it alters the image too much from what the director intended the game to look, so I have been leaving it off on all HDR content. Pretty much every post I have read regarding this setting on the 2018 LG Oled's have been overwhelmingly positive though and they all say to leave it on, which I find incredibly weird. Many say it's a game changer but I think it just brightens the image, almost to the point of washing it out.

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Hey guys just going to post something about soundbars I asked on Reddit but didn't get many responses.

Hey there.
So in work we have a points system for when we do good work, we build up enough points we can buy stuff from an online store. I can also pay money to get a better one, using the points to get money off.
I have a few points built up and looking to get a soundbar. None are probably amazing but I'm hoping somebody could help me pick the best one.

Here are the choices:
Sony HTSF150 120W 2.1ch Soundbar
LG SJ4 300W 2.1ch Soundbar
LG SJ2 Soundbar
LG SK1 Soundbar
Bose 732522-2110 Solo 5
Philips HTL2111A/F7
LG SJ9 5.1.2
Panasonic SC-HTB18EB-K
Sony HTCT290
LG SH2 100W
Sony HTMT300.CEK
Panasonic SC-HTB258EB-K
Panasonic SC-HTB488EBK 200W
Panasonic SC-HTB690EBK

Some of these are over my max, however if they are that much better than others i could pay the extra for it.
Would appreciate any advice regarding it anyway, thanks a lot!

If you guys can help would be much appreciated :)

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I went from a KS8000 (KS799 here in Spain too :P) to a LG C8 almost two months ago after reading, asking and watching tons of reviews. I didn't know if I should go to a FALD TV like the Q9FN or if I should go to the OLED, but nowadays I know I chose the right path.

The image quality is sooo better thanks to the perfect black that you can't believe it until you're in front of your new TV. Besides, one thing I really didn't like (and annoyed me every single day) about my KS8000/7000 were the view angles since my linving room is also as yours: quite large. With the OLED sets you will completely forget about that issue.

This is my experience as well. It's hard to believe how good the picture quality is until you see it on your living room

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
FANTASTIC 4K sale at Google:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

god bless Movies Anywhere

Branson

Oct 27, 2017

Ill die before giving up Blu-Ray but damn those prices are good.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I do both, best of both worlds.
Well I use Netflix and prime and Hulu too, but if I'm actually buying something I gotta go BR or 4K BR for that bitrate and sound.

You wouldn't think it's a big difference, but I go periods of not watching disks because of games and shows on streaming and stuff, back to a disk and am always amazed at the quality going back to it. Can't wait to watch my infinity war 4K disk once I get a tv.

Yes I've been future proofing my purchases lol.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Yup...I bought LDR: Edge of Tomorrow and within seconds it was available on every platform known to man

Disc is better but with a fast internet connection, the visible aspect of digital is catching up fast
im surprised I guess. You guys go in hard on Oled TVs and then don't use the best source for them right now for movies and tv lol.

I understand but when I did have a 4k tv and returned it by far the two things that wowed me was my Blade Runner 4k disk and native 4k games on my pc. Netflix and stuff looked good too. Just not as good.

Actually the first thing I did was watch 4k Netflix stuff and was kinda disappointed until I popped in a disk. HDR was the thing I noticed first on Lost in space.

That said, I mix both currently. I'm excited to watch The Grand Tour in 4k once I get back in the 4K pipeline. Exclusive stuff I can't watch any other way I don't really care. But nothing has beat a good disk for me yet.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Dear friends.

Would emulated Scanlines or Aperture Grille Overlays and/or Shaders cause temporal or permanent burn in while using an OLED? (the permanent dark gray/black lines)

I have refrained from playing retro stuff on my OLED C8 because of that concern. Any suggestions?

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
im surprised I guess. You guys go in hard on Oled TVs and then don't use the best source for them right now for movies and tv lol.

I understand but when I did have a 4k tv and returned it by far the two things that wowed me was my Blade Runner 4k disk and native 4k games on my pc. Netflix and stuff looked good too. Just not as good.

Actually the first thing I did was watch 4k Netflix stuff and was kinda disappointed until I popped in a disk. HDR was the thing I noticed first on Lost in space.

That said, I mix both currently. I'm excited to watch The Grand Tour in 4k once I get back in the 4K pipeline. Exclusive stuff I can't watch any other way I don't really care. But nothing has beat a good disk for me yet.

I have tons of UHD 4k blurays, what I meant is that I buy both physical and digital.

I go digital for movies that are super cheap that I wouldn't otherwise buy at regular or disc prices.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

I watch discs all the time :)

I just like to buy $5 movies as they're SUPER convenient, look great and I can watch them on my iPad as well

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I have tons of UHD 4k blurays, what I meant is that I buy both physical and digital.

I go digital for movies that are super cheap that I wouldn't otherwise buy at regular or disc prices.
I watch discs all the time :)

I just like to buy $5 movies as they're SUPER convenient, look great and I can watch them on my iPad as well
Respect. I should do that too on some movies.

It is nice to see people investing in the format. I don't want it to go away lol.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, don't get your hopes up too much, but I've definitely noticed it. In the past I would have to download shows in other ways, despite subscribing. Now I don't bother. Watched Vice Principals lately and that looked great, and as mentioned True Detective is fine.

GoT is going to be a stress test though with all those dark, smoky scenes.
OK.
Yeah, lots of dark and shadow scenes in that show.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% digital here, hate owning physical media that aren't books

i will buy planet earth 2 on 4k disc though

I'm 100% digital on games, but I still stick to physical for movies. Part of it is the quality (video and audio) angle, the other part is the added benefit. Most physical copies include a digital copy as well so I get the best of both worlds. It doesn't hurt that I don't often buy movies. I have to be really into something to see it in theaters, and from there I have to be blown away to actually buy it.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I buy discs but rip them 1:1 so have the best of both worlds in terms of quality and convenience. Theres no way im putting up with the long load times and other associated headaches that comes with physical media today. You shouldn't be inconvenienced more when you buy films.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I just wish Kaleidescape wasn't so expensive to jump in to.
Their movie store overs full HD and UHD downloads of of movies so you get the best source for audio and video.

I almost want to get something just to link up my UV account before that's terminated.

I suppose I could rip discs but I don't want to own them or deal with reselling.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Anybody with a Linker or Fury want to do me a favour, could you have a look what what your xbox X is outputting with and without the 4:2:2 check ticked?
Ideally, before the latest dashboard goes live or you install it.

I think I saw that 4:2:2 was now ouputting correctly in a more recent dashboard build and they've claimed to have put some fixes in to improve 4K image quality in the latest public release, so I wonder if that is is.

If you haven't had the update, could you just see what the console outputs with it on and off in SDR (8bit) (10bit) and HDR

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I buy discs but rip them 1:1 so have the best of both worlds in terms of quality and convenience. Theres no way im putting up with the long load times and other associated headaches that comes with physical media today. You shouldn't be inconvenienced more when you buy films.
Does it actually retain the full audio and video bitrate? I've never looked into it too deeply as it seemed pretty in-depth to get started into it and I've never had an issue with just popping in a disk.

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018

How are you ripping UHD discs? I'd like to back up my collection at some point.

OverHeatQc

Nov 5, 2018
Anybody with a Linker or Fury want to do me a favour, could you have a look what what your xbox X is outputting with and without the 4:2:2 check ticked?
Ideally, before the latest dashboard goes live or you install it.

I think I saw that 4:2:2 was now ouputting correctly in a more recent dashboard build and they've claimed to have put some fixes in to improve 4K image quality in the latest public release, so I wonder if that is is.

If you haven't had the update, could you just see what the console outputs with it on and off in SDR (8bit) (10bit) and HDR
8bits and 10 bits in HDR with 8 bits and 8bits and 12bits with 12bits I took pictures if you want

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, Ideally I need someone who hasn't updated to see if this has changed

The Xbox had chroma issues a while back, think it was overcomplicating the YUV/RGB conversion process, I remember games looking really rough with 422 checked, a few revisions ago, fairly sure Vincent Teoh covered messed up chroma for films on an Xbox One S or X, some time ago too.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The Xbox had chroma issues a while back, think it was overcomplicating the YUV/RGB conversion process, I remember games looking really rough with 422 checked, a few revisions ago, fairly sure Vincent Teoh covered messed up chroma for films on an Xbox One S or X, some time ago too.

Yeah, it was doing two sets of conversion. When the S launched it only did 420.
Then more recently the 422 option changed the way it worked, then it changes back. So I wondered if this change was then rolling an improvement out to the public now , which I think I saw in my alpha dashboard

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it actually retain the full audio and video bitrate? I've never looked into it too deeply as it seemed pretty in-depth to get started into it and I've never had an issue with just popping in a disk.

How are you ripping UHD discs? I'd like to back up my collection at some point.

I've been using MakeMKV which just removes the uncompressed video and audio and puts it in a handy .mkv container. You can even choose which audio tracks you want to keep or remove to save space, and also remove extras etc.

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
I've been using MakeMKV which just removes the uncompressed video and audio and puts it in a handy .mkv container. You can even choose which audio tracks you want to keep or remove to save space, and also remove extras etc.

But how? You need a bluray pc drive that supports that. What do you have right now?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The instructions have been posted before, nothing wrong with ripping your own UHD discs.
Unless something's changed, you need specific BD drives capable of reading the UHD discs. The info is out there.