• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
So I just watched the Criterion version of The Tree of Life on my new Vizio P65 and it absolutely made me happy with my purchase. It isn't even a 4K film but Vizio's upscaler did a wonderful job.

The only scenes that had a little artifacting were some of the darker cosmic scenes, but overall everything was incredibly sharp, the colors looked natural, and the contrast was pretty much perfect. I can't imagine how great this film would look on an OLED.

Other than having to exchange my first TV due to some distracting DSE, I'm very happy with the Vizio P65.

Edit: also, I know a lot of people dislike grain in films, I personally love it. I loved that I could clearly see the film grain on this TV. You could kind of see it on my old 39" 1080p set, my new TV shows it very clearly and I love it. I felt it really brought the movie to life.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I just watched the Criterion version of The Tree of Life on my new Vizio P65 and it absolutely made me happy with my purchase. It isn't even a 4K film but Vizio's upscaler did a wonderful job.

The only scenes that had a little artifacting were some of the darker cosmic scenes, but overall everything was incredibly sharp, the colors looked natural, and the contrast was pretty much perfect. I can't imagine how great this film would look on an OLED.

Other than having to exchange my first TV due to some distracting DSE, I'm very happy with the Vizio P65.

Edit: also, I know a lot of people dislike grain in films, I personally love it. I loved that I could clearly see the film grain on this TV. You could kind of see it on my old 39" 1080p set, my new TV shows it very clearly and I love it. I felt it really brought the movie to life.

Yea the Vizio P is a great TV. I'm glad you got a good panel cause thats the only thing with Vizio, some people get unlucky with the panel lottery.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12842155-a...-cliffhanger-more-free-shipping?src=frontpage

Amazon running another UHD sale (3 for $40). Some incredible deals in there.

Oh wow that's a ton of movies to choose from.

Any recommendations? are you getting any of them?

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow that's a ton of movies to choose from.

Any recommendations? are you getting any of them?

I'm on the fence...I own or have seen many of them. I haven't seen BlacKKKlansman, Sicario 2 or the Shallows though, so I might grab those three! Lucy, Baby Driver, Atomic Blonde, etc are great transfers if you haven't seen them yet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the fence...I own or have seen many of them. I haven't seen BlacKKKlansman, Sicario 2 or the Shallows though, so I might grab those three! Lucy, Baby Driver, Atomic Blonde, etc are great transfers if you haven't seen them yet.

I thought Sicario 2 looked pretty good, and the movie is good too.

Don't own any of those other ones you mentioned.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How is Apple TV 4K vs built-in apps on TVs RE: quality?

With iTunes coming to Samsung TVs, I'm wondering if there is still a good reason to get a new ATV.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is Apple TV 4K vs built-in apps on TVs RE: quality?

With iTunes coming to Samsung TVs, I'm wondering if there is still a good reason to get a new ATV.
I can only speak for my LG C8 but I much prefer its' native selection of apps versus Apple's offerings. Their spotty and confusing HDR implementation makes things extremely confusing when you (inevitably) run into weird issues or mixups in the handshaking. For example, the HBO NOW and Netflix apps on Apple TV require me to turn of Apple's "intelligent" (lol) HDR/SDR switching and manually force the output to 4K SDR. For HBO NOW specifically, the system isn't even smart enough to recognize that the app doesn't support HDR so it causes this thirty second blackout before every video unless you manually force it to SDR in the system settings.

TL;DR: Fuck the Apple TV, if your TV has a native app then use it.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I can only speak for my LG C8 but I much prefer its' native selection of apps versus Apple's offerings. Their spotty and confusing HDR implementation makes things extremely confusing when you (inevitably) run into weird issues or mixups in the handshaking. For example, the HBO NOW and Netflix apps on Apple TV require me to turn of Apple's "intelligent" (lol) HDR/SDR switching and manually force the output to 4K SDR. For HBO NOW specifically, the system isn't even smart enough to recognize that the app doesn't support HDR so it causes this thirty second blackout before every video unless you manually force it to SDR in the system settings.

That's interesting. What are your settings? I have none of those problems with my AppleTV. I leave mine to 4K SDR 60 Hz with the Match Frame Rate and Match Dynamic Range options enabled. So every apps that are outputting in SDR stay in SDR, and every apps that use HDR/Dolby Vision output with the right signal type. The only time there's a small 2 seconds blackout is when the TV detects a change of frame rate (e.g.: from 60 Hz to 24 Hz). But this small blackout is from the TV changing signal type, not from the AppleTV.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's interesting. What are your settings? I have none of those problems with my AppleTV. I leave mine to 4K SDR 60 Hz with the Match Frame Rate and Match Dynamic Range options enabled. So every apps that are outputting in SDR stay in SDR, and every apps that use HDR/Dolby Vision output with the right signal type. The only time there's a small 2 seconds blackout is when the TV detects a change of frame rate (e.g.: from 60 Hz to 24 Hz). But this small blackout is from the TV changing signal type, not from the AppleTV.
My setup sounds similar only I have the default dynamic range set to HDR. Does it not automatically switch to SDR within SD apps and content? Unless I manually set it to output in SDR then the HBO NOW app gives me an extremely lengthy blackout when I start playing content.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

awesome, thanks.

the Q70R sounds more and more like a good fit -built in itunes, good hdr, freesync, affordable...

Hutty211

Oct 29, 2017
My setup sounds similar only I have the default dynamic range set to HDR. Does it not automatically switch to SDR within SD apps and content? Unless I manually set it to output in SDR then the HBO NOW app gives me an extremely lengthy blackout when I start playing content.

Default dynamic range should be SDR, it will automatically switch to HDR for supported content if you have "Match Dynamic Range" on. Should clear up all your problems. ATV quality is better than built in apps according to popular opinion (and objectively brighter for netflix, less autodimming in dark scenes).

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Is the Match Dynamic Range option enabled? But regardless, I think that both the Match Frame Rate and Match Dynamic Range options only kick in when there's an actual signal change. And the way apps are built I believe such a change is initiated when:
- Frame rate is modified
and/or
- An HDR signal is detected.

So if an app doesn't initiate a change when playing something, you're stuck with whatever video format you chose in the settings.

That's why I set mine to 4K SDR (with both mentioned Match options enabled). That way everything is displayed the way it should. SDR stays in SDR, and HDR is outputted in HDR. Having the default setting to HDR would mean that everything SDR would go through an artificial range mapping to have it displayed in HDR. Which I don't personally like because it doesn't display the signal like originally intended, but in the end I guess it's mainly a matter of preference.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say that I absolutely love my Vizio P65 now. I was really underwhelmed at first but after doing some color tuning (followed rtings for that even if I didn't follow the rest of their recommendations exactly) it is perfect.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do the Samsungs support Dolby Vision? Might be worth considering.

I believe the new Samsungs will still be HDR10+ only.

I personally wouldn't get a TV without Dolby Vision support, but I do watch a lot of movies and shows with Dolby Vision. So it all depends because someone that only or mostly cares about games won't miss Dolby Vision much.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so after saying the same thing for the last 2 years, this is the year the B6 gets updated, but as I'm here in the UK it is an interesting time to be looking at buying tech. I am in a quandary really, as I want to see how the 2019 sets review, but I am also aware that Brexit is looming and new televisions are likely to retail for crazy money.

The question is, do I wait or buy one of the current sets now before the price madness arrives?

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
So my LG B8 55" just got delivered to my apartment. Does anyone who owns one know if it would be doable for a single person to set it up (ie get the stand on and get it upright), or is it really a two person job? My flatmate doesn't move in for a few days, and I don't really want to wait around for him to set it up, but I'm aware that OLED TVs are much thinner, and I'd be worried it's too fragile to risk trying to set it up solo.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
So my LG B8 55" just got delivered to my apartment. Does anyone who owns one know if it would be doable for a single person to set it up (ie get the stand on and get it upright), or is it really a two person job? My flatmate doesn't move in for a few days, and I don't really want to wait around for him to set it up, but I'm aware that OLED TVs are much thinner, and I'd be worried it's too fragile to risk trying to set it up solo.

Same B8 owner here. I think setting it up with a stand alone is possible. Just be careful when laying the panel. If you can't lift the panel by yourself, I'd suggest wait for a helping hand before setting it up. I had help lifting and moving the panel when I set up mine.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I spent a lot of time comparing Hulu from the C6 to Hulu on the ATV4K and it was just slightly better on ATV in regards to noise and dark artifacts.

So cleaner overall on the ATV so I usually opt for that option.
The difference was small and the majority of people would never notice. I didn't until I paused and compared pics.

And to that other user, yeah make your default 4K SDR and let apps switch to HDR as needed.
Feels buggier the other way around.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I spent a lot of time comparing Hulu from the C6 to Hulu on the ATV4K and it was just slightly better on ATV in regards to noise and dark artifacts.

So cleaner overall on the ATV so I usually opt for that option.
The difference was small and the majority of people would never notice. I didn't until I paused and compared pics.

And to that other user, yeah make your default 4K SDR and let apps switch to HDR as needed.
Feels buggier the other way around.

interesting, thank you! i'll try to find more people who can check between different TVs - maybe brands handle it differently

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018

Honestly, I would get someone to help. I did it yesterday with a friend. it was easier than other TVs I've done, but it was a challenge picking it back up after we laid it down to attach the stand.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Whenever I start reading TV threads, here or AVSForum, I start to think maybe I should call LG to try and swap my panel due to tinting. But then I get anxiety about the whole process, and the potential of getting a worse panel. B7 struggles.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Same B8 owner here. I think setting it up with a stand alone is possible. Just be careful when laying the panel. If you can't lift the panel by yourself, I'd suggest wait for a helping hand before setting it up. I had help lifting and moving the panel when I set up mine.
Honestly, I would get someone to help. I did it yesterday with a friend. it was easier than other TVs I've done, but it was a challenge picking it back up after we laid it down to attach the stand.
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll leave it for now, should be able to get it set up on Sunday (I'm out all day tomorrow anyway). It's a little annoying to have such a nice new TV and not being able to watch it, but as I don't have broadband set up in the flat just yet all I'd be able to watch would be over-the-air broadcasts, which wouldn't really do the TV justice. I picked up an Apple TV 4K and some 4K HDR movies that were on sale on iTunes, so I'm looking forward to starting off its life with something a bit more worthwhile (I'm leaning towards 2001: A Space Odyssey).

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll leave it for now, should be able to get it set up on Sunday (I'm out all day tomorrow anyway). It's a little annoying to have such a nice new TV and not being able to watch it, but as I don't have broadband set up in the flat just yet all I'd be able to watch would be over-the-air broadcasts, which wouldn't really do the TV justice. I picked up an Apple TV 4K and some 4K HDR movies that were on sale on iTunes, so I'm looking forward to starting off its life with something a bit more worthwhile (I'm leaning towards 2001: A Space Odyssey).

I feel you! I was waiting for my B8 for a week and a half while Purolator figured their shit out. Finally got it yesterday. Totally worth the wait!

Oct 28, 2017

I live alone and couldn't wait so did it by myself. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Wait, apparently Samsung's VRR sucks?

2018 sets are capped at 1080p when using it. Really curious to see how the 2019 sets fare.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I have been reading a lot of stuff about the new Samsungs. I have a 2018 75" Q9FN which is great, but the 2019's Samsungs seems to improve everything. Will still wait for reviews...but the one big thing is that currently there is no word on if HDMI 2.1 will be updated and so far no mention of eARc. Both are extremely disappointing to me. My front runner for 2019 is the LG 9 Series as they have all the boxes ticked, but I think I will wait for reviews on all the new sets before making a decision. The specs on the Q90 (which is the successor for the 2018 Q9FN) sounds really good aside from HDMI 2.1/eArc and some of the gaming features sound really good.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, apparently Samsung's VRR sucks?

2018 sets are capped at 1080p when using it. Really curious to see how the 2019 sets fare.

I wish people like you would STOP with this misinformation. The 2018 Samsung, which I own the Q9FN has VRR at 4k. It's range is between 48-60fps. At 1080p the range is from 48-120fps. It DOES do VRR at 4k! Samsung's VRR does not suck. It works and works really well. I have played a number of games that without VRR I would get screen tearing and feeling of inconsistent frame rates. Take Shadow of the Tomb Raider for example, in the big hub area performance drops and there is tearing in a lot of the areas. With VRR enabled, this is smoothed out and no tearing. Please stop with the misinformation. If you don't know, don't post like you do.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Does HDMI 2.1 go the full range of VRR from 30 fps to 120 fps?

New Samsung sets look good. Shame they are still fighting with Dolby over Dolby Vision. Or at least being stubborn and not adding DV support.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wish people like you would STOP with this misinformation. The 2018 Samsung, which I own the Q9FN has VRR at 4k. It's range is between 48-60fps. At 1080p the range is from 48-120fps. It DOES do VRR at 4k! Samsung's VRR does not suck. It works and works really well. I have played a number of games that without VRR I would get screen tearing and feeling of inconsistent frame rates. Take Shadow of the Tomb Raider for example, in the big hub area performance drops and there is tearing in a lot of the areas. With VRR enabled, this is smoothed out and no tearing. Please stop with the misinformation. If you don't know, don't post like you do.

digital foundry is usually legit, and that's where i found my info:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...amsung-adds-freesync-support-to-select-4k-tvs

Apparently there are a couple of compromises, however. The support only works at 1080p resolution and apparently some aspects of screen brightness may be affected.

but please continue to flip out - as soon as I get my TV set up this year you won't have to deal with me in your community thread

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
Is there another thread to ask. I wanna leave my Panasonic 1080 55 plasma, and unless I go oled. I think id rather control my light and go projector. Epson/Optoma leaning towards Epson HC5040 or the HC4010

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
My B8 arrives next week! Excited af!
Few questions:

- As for calibration, I know most of the replies refer people to rtings. I have an "HD Basics" blu ray disc I bought years ago. Do you reckon it's better to use it? At least for SDR content, since the disc has nothing about HDR.
- The speakers will probably be shit. I'm looking to invest as less a possible speakers wise. Do you guys have any recommendations on a simple 2.0 set?

Much appreciated :)

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Does HDMI 2.1 go the full range of VRR from 30 fps to 120 fps?

New Samsung sets look good. Shame they are still fighting with Dolby over Dolby Vision. Or at least being stubborn and not adding DV support.

Yes 2.1 will do 4k up to 120 all teh way up to 8k 60

My B8 arrives next week! Excited af!
Few questions:

- As for calibration, I know most of the replies refer people to rtings. I have an "HD Basics" blu ray disc I bought years ago. Do you reckon it's better to use it? At least for SDR content, since the disc has nothing about HDR.
- The speakers will probably be shit. I'm looking to invest as less a possible speakers wise. Do you guys have any recommendations on a simple 2.0 set?

Much appreciated :)

You can use it for some basic settings(Brightness, Color, Contrast, Tint/Hue) you cannot do WB or CMS adjustments however.