• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Oooh, amazon has that problem on xbox, too.

Yeah, Amazon needs to fix. Very annoying.

Yes you are right. My apologies. Apple have messed up.

As an aside does anyone else notice horrible flickering in 24hz mode on the Apple TV? I wonder if it happens a lot as people in the AF9 thread on another forum also brought it up. It even flickers when you pause. Most noticeable in dark scenes of shows like Game of Thrones. It's so noticeable here that I've had to revert to forcing to 60Hz mode which doesn't completely solve the issue as then I can't use Dolby Vision.

Never seen that on my C6.
24Hz works just fine aside from certain apps that need to be updated to use it correctly as noted above.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Sony's 2019 TV lineup details: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sony-2019-tv-lineup-prices-availability-8k-4k-oled/

Z9G:
  • 85-inch model: $13,000. Available in June
  • 98-inch model: $70,000. Available in June
A9G:
  • 55-inch: $3,500. Available in May
  • 65-inch: $4500. Available in May
  • 77-inch: $8,000. Available in May
A8G:
  • 55-inch: $2500. Available in May
  • 65-inch: $3500. Available in May
X950G
  • 55-inch: $1,400
  • 65-inch: $2,200
  • 75-inch: $3,500
  • 85-inch: $5,000

85 -> 98 inches adds an additional $57,000? Lmao

Crazy how prices get above 65 inches.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Am I'm right in saying the switch to top Emmission displays will dramatically reduce the price of 8k sets?

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK folks - A few retailers have begun putting up prices for the new sets. Boy am I glad I waited , as the entry-level Panasonic 55" is going to be £1799, cheaper than both Sony and LG at that screen size. Not out till June mind.

Edit - that is the GZ950

For comparison the Sony AG8 is £2299 and the LG B9 is £1999. The Panasonic looks incredible value at that price. The next one up the GZ1000 is only £1999 too? Wow. Panasonic knocking it out of the park with their prices. They should do well now they are supporting DV.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Was this the set you got from that company that calibrated and tested the set for uniformity and dead pixels? If so, I wonder why they did not catch the band or two you are seeing.

Just about every OLED is going to have some form of banding--which is a really odd term to begin with for the way most seem to want to be using it. Banding in the original sense was just where the transitions in gradients were not smooth at all and usually led to multiple "rings" of transitions. This is obviously worse in SDR than HDR too.

For example:

Colour_banding_example01.png

What most people seem to be referencing now though are the vertical columns that can be seen, which is just another uniformity issue. Some panels are going to be worse than others in this regard, but the likelihood of getting one that will never under any circumstance display either kind of banding at all is pretty much non existent right now. Even if slides end up making it look like it's flawless, chances are there is still some content where it can be seen in motion. Usually fast moving and with varying degrees of black at once. If you don't notice it the majority of the time, even if it's revealed from a slide, then it shouldn't really be an issue.

Right now, my new C8 has two really thick blotchy columns on one side, and I've only been able to notice it once so far, and only because I'm always looking for it. I knew that I shouldn't have bothered looking at any black and near black slides, but I ended up doing it anyway. I seemed to have gotten lucky with the white though. There's no perceptible tinting anywhere on a full white screen, which is what has the largest impact anyway. Uniformity can get slightly better over time too. Still just depends on luck though with the panel.

Also, either near black levels can vary by panel as well even within the same model, or LG did actually slightly improve them since 2016. At least on my current TV, there's a noticeable difference from the B6 and E6 that I previously had with some very problematic near black scenes. The improvement is very noticeable, even though these sets are still not flawless in that area yet.

Yeah I mean there is really isn't a tint free panel, just some are very good and others are bad. It's like banding some are good and some are really bad. What we don't know is they still can't get it right on tint, so I don't know if it's the mfg process, applying the Aar filter, or what but it's annoying. It used to be yellow but seems it's red now.

I could see very faint yellow columns on my B6, but I absolutely cannot see anything on my current set, other than the slightly yellowish tint to the entire screen that is added from Warm2. There's no perceptible variance though, and changing it to medium or cool just changes it all uniformly. Red would be much worse though than yellow I think.

Last edited:

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Sony's 2019 TV lineup details: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sony-2019-tv-lineup-prices-availability-8k-4k-oled/

Z9G:
  • 85-inch model: $13,000. Available in June
  • 98-inch model: $70,000. Available in June
A9G:
  • 55-inch: $3,500. Available in May
  • 65-inch: $4500. Available in May
  • 77-inch: $8,000. Available in May
A8G:
  • 55-inch: $2500. Available in May
  • 65-inch: $3500. Available in May
X950G
  • 55-inch: $1,400
  • 65-inch: $2,200
  • 75-inch: $3,500
  • 85-inch: $5,000
I still need a big ZD9 in my life.

UK folks - A few retailers have begun putting up prices for the new sets. Boy am I glad I waited , as the entry-level Panasonic 55" is going to be £1799, cheaper than both Sony and LG at that screen size. Not out till June mind.

Edit - that is the GZ950

For comparison the Sony AG8 is £2299 and the LG B9 is £1999. The Panasonic looks incredible value at that price. The next one up the GZ1000 is only £1999 too? Wow. Panasonic knocking it out of the park with their prices. They should do well now they are supporting DV.
If I had no choice but to buy an OLED it would have always been a Panafonics.
They are just better sets.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I decided to wait for the LG 2019 models to land so I can get a B or C 55" model... Will save up Summer pay for when they get some cool discounts going as well.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
so I'm gonna be getting a new TV this year and I was fairly certain about getting the Samsung Q60. but now I'm seeing that Sony just released their new 43" model for a cheaper price.

guess I'll wait for Rtings.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

I have $1500 of cash to spend on a Costco card. Do I just get the Series P Quantum now at $1400?

Or do I just get some bang for buck 55 inch TV now and wait hold on for a couple of years until HDMI 2.1 and other TV tech become more prevalent with the new consoles coming out? Just not sure how much of an upgrade to expect. There's also the chance that the top TVs in the future launch at very expensive prices due to the new tech and take forever to come down in price.

So no one here is going to help me out huh?

I'm leaning towards just saving the $1500 for down the road (and praying it doesn't end up being over 2 year wait) and just getting a decent 49-55 inch to hold me over. The main reason is PS5, which I'm assuming will launch in 2020. By then I'm assuming manufacturers will be lined up with TV's that can utilize?

Let me know if I'm being an idiot.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

I'm leaning towards just saving the $1500 for down the road (and praying it doesn't end up being over 2 year wait) and just getting a decent 49-55 inch to hold me over. The main reason is PS5, which I'm assuming will launch in 2020. By then I'm assuming manufacturers will be lined up with TV's that can utilize?

Its hard to say what approach is best for you. I don't have any personal experience with the PQ but it looks like a great set. With that said, if you can wait and gaming is your primary use case, maybe you should wait. It all depends on what you deem important (gaming, movies, using as a PC monitor, etc) and your buying patterns (are you comfortable buying 2 TVs 15-18 months apart?)

Just know that tech in the TV world moves incredibly fast. Two years from now, there will be something else around the corner to wait for.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I just went for it and upgraded to a 65" a few weeks ago.

Bumrush is right - I figured if I waited another year or two for HDMI 2.1 to release and then mature, everyone will talk about microLED or some other game changer by then.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Its hard to say what approach is best for you. I don't have any personal experience with the PQ but it looks like a great set. With that said, if you can wait and gaming is your primary use case, maybe you should wait. It all depends on what you deem important (gaming, movies, using as a PC monitor, etc) and your buying patterns (are you comfortable buying 2 TVs 15-18 months apart?)

Just know that tech in the TV world moves incredibly fast. Two years from now, there will be something else around the corner to wait for.

I'd be comfortable with waiting, if the TV now is decent amount enough and the cost is low (there are 50-55 inch around $300 that have solid ratings on ratings.com)

Gaming and film are most important, but my usage leans more towards films and streaming. I do plan on getting a PS5.

Bumrush is right - I figured if I waited another year or two for HDMI 2.1 to release and then mature, everyone will talk about microLED or some other game changer by then.

I think that microLED will take a long time to go down in price once it's commercially available, so I'm not even thinking about that.

If I have a change of heart down the road because HDMI 2.1 development is slow and the Quantum X ends up being a beast, I would just pick that up.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

Right. I actually went into buying my C8 thinking "I'll upgrade in 2 years", but I've had it for 6 months and I'm still blown away by the picture quality.

Edit: reKon you can get a decent set for $300-350 but don't expect to be wowwed by it. At that price range, the sets usually have brightness issues, uniformity issues, contrast issues or a combination. For example, I have a $200 TCL in my office, and while it's great for my use case - second screen for my work laptop, occasional TV show in the background, it can't hold a candle to my parents' R617 (which is a $550 set). You know?

ugoo18

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone, I'd appreciate some advice on a TV I'm looking at buying. I'm in Australia and Aldi one of our local store chains is having a sale this Saturday on a variety of things. They are offering this tv for $399. Is this a good setup? I'm not familiar with tv technology as I've always used my 4k monitor for gaming, films etc.

Here are the specs

• 3840 x 2160 resolution
  • 4K ultra high definition
  • HD tuner
  • PVR
  • HDMI connectivity
  • USB media playback
  • ARC
  • Easy remote
  • Contrast ratio: 2000:1
  • Frame rate: 60Hz
  • Viewing angle: 176°(H)/176°(V)
  • Response time: 12ms
  • Ports: 1 x RF, 4 x HDMI, 1 x YPbPr, 2 x USB, 1 x optical out and 1 x line out
Any thoughts would be appreciated, also comes with a 1 year warranty.

Kaga

Nov 3, 2017
DeKalb, IL
Got 55" B8 via Greentoe a few weeks ago, and just want to report that it's been fantastic. Heard all sorts of complaints about how 1080p and lower stuff looks on it and I just don't see it. Currently playing Tales on Switch and thought it looked better than my old 1080p set (2013 era Vizio M series - good TV). Started Witcher 3 on PS4 non-pro and was blown away. Obviously the 4K/DolbyVision stuff is phenomenal, but just happy with everything about my experience so far except for HDMI wonkiness from my Apple TV 4K, which a quick Google search tells me I'm not alone in. Luckily I just use it for MLB.tv and Criterion Channel, so turning off DV and HDR gives me stability on the handshake. As an aside, I got new sound as well to clean up the wires and super happy so far with the Vizio 36512 series with the rear speakers. Feel like it's outperforming the seven year old more traditional 5.1 setup I was running.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I can get an LG 65 inch B8 for just over £1500 at the moment which seems like an absolute steal...

But I hate paying out for something knowing that more advanced stuff is already there. Plus I probably don't even need a new TV.

Zeth

Feb 8, 2018
Hmm, I can get an LG 65 inch B8 for just over £1500 at the moment which seems like an absolute steal...

But I hate paying out for something knowing that more advanced stuff is already there. Plus I probably don't even need a new TV.

This is where I am right now. Really don't want to spend over $1000 more for the 2019 model - but 120hz would be amazing for PC gaming even without VRR - is this possible on either of them?

Last edited:

Deleted member 25445

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Decided to pull the trigger on a 65" Samsung Q8FN for $1485, thought it was a good deal though I'd really like to spring for a 65 OLED, just can't bring myself to spend the extra 600 or so dollars

Oct 27, 2017
Hearing that Days Gone has great HDR I'm hyped as I got a 65 inch TCL 4-Series last month

Does anyone else here own that set?

I tried using GT Sports HDR mode and it washed it out all yellow, had to mess with it more to make it look better

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hearing that Days Gone has great HDR I'm hyped as I got a 65 inch TCL 4-Series last month

Does anyone else here own that set?

I tried using GT Sports HDR mode and it washed it out all yellow, had to mess with it more to make it look better

Sadly with that TV you won't really see the benefits of HDR.

Very few TVs under $1000 can give you even remotely decent HDR.

Hi everyone, I'd appreciate some advice on a TV I'm looking at buying. I'm in Australia and Aldi one of our local store chains is having a sale this Saturday on a variety of things. They are offering this tv for $399. Is this a good setup? I'm not familiar with tv technology as I've always used my 4k monitor for gaming, films etc.

Here are the specs

• 3840 x 2160 resolution
  • 4K ultra high definition
  • HD tuner
  • PVR
  • HDMI connectivity
  • USB media playback
  • ARC
  • Easy remote
  • Contrast ratio: 2000:1
  • Frame rate: 60Hz
  • Viewing angle: 176°(H)/176°(V)
  • Response time: 12ms
  • Ports: 1 x RF, 4 x HDMI, 1 x YPbPr, 2 x USB, 1 x optical out and 1 x line out
Any thoughts would be appreciated, also comes with a 1 year warranty.

Contrast ratio tells me its probably an IPS panel. What is the TV size? Check the lower end Samsungs and see how their specs compare.

You can check TV specs at rtings.com, this is one example: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru7100

Keep in mind you are not really getting any benefits from HDR at this price range, even if the TV says it supports HDR,

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly with that TV you won't really see the benefits of HDR.
I know it's not as good as others but I've noticed the difference before coming from a 1080p set. Got it for $170 out of pocket (from wedding gift cards) so Ive been really happy with it.

So far GT Sport (once I fiddled with settings) and Horizon really popped. Detroit too. I'm using the settings Rtings suggested tho it ended up the washed out yellow look in GT was because the TV set itself to "Dark HDR" which once I changed that it looked much better

Looking forward to Days Gone tomorrow

Apr 21, 2018
Mortal Kombat 11 is another game that looks extremely different whatever you choose HDR or SDR on OLED.

HDR= very bright image, the game doesn't have any luminance slider, just a normal gamma one, shadows in the game becomes grey or very dark greys, but never pure blacks, the crystals in the menu becomes all grey, colors are good, quite pale, the scenarios are quite washed out, all the details are pretty visible.

SDR= as always on OLED, shadow are BLACKS, the crystals in the main menu now display pure blacks, the image is very VERY contrasty, scenarios are quite dark, with shadows being very black or pure dark, but not quite crushed, details are still there, just as always on oleds are very Hard to see.

at the end, what was the developer intention???

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think MK11's HDR is broken at best and a mess at worst. HDR is completely washed out on my Z9D - so much that I had to correct the in-game gamma.

Who knows??

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
This is where I am right now. Really don't want to spend over $1000 more for the 2019 model - but 120hz would be amazing for PC gaming even without VRR - is this possible on either of them?

There are no HDMI 2.1 graphics cards available now. Maybe we will see one with Navi late this year, but 2020 is probably a safer bet. Same story with consoles and receivers, expect them to get HDMI 2.1 in 2020.

If your current TV works and you want to save money, you are really better off waiting until you can pick up a C9 on clearance early next year. Or pick up a C10 around Black Friday 2020. Or one of the many other TVs that will likely have HDMI 2.1 support by that point.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Right. I actually went into buying my C8 thinking "I'll upgrade in 2 years", but I've had it for 6 months and I'm still blown away by the picture quality.

Edit: reKon you can get a decent set for $300-350 but don't expect to be wowwed by it. At that price range, the sets usually have brightness issues, uniformity issues, contrast issues or a combination. For example, I have a $200 TCL in my office, and while it's great for my use case - second screen for my work laptop, occasional TV show in the background, it can't hold a candle to my parents' R617 (which is a $550 set). You know?

The game has changed...

So just got something work for a project I was working on (think of it as a mini bonus), which let's me choose a gift card from a bunch of retailers. There's no Target or Best Buy that I can choose from, BUT thankfully there's Amazon. This amounts to $200

Between this $200 and the $30 off $60 deal for using AMEX, I effectively have $230 off w/e I'm getting from Amazon. The card gives me extra warranty protection too so I'm covered for a pretty good period. So I'm think of just going with a TCL 5 or 6 series that's on sale and calling it a day.

I still don't want to really spend a ton still, but at the same time, who knows how long this wait will be. I would be coming from a KS8000.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
The game has changed...

So just got something work for a project I was working on (think of it as a mini bonus), which let's me choose a gift card from a bunch of retailers. There's no Target or Best Buy that I can choose from, BUT thankfully there's Amazon. This amounts to $200

Between this $200 and the $30 off $60 deal for using AMEX, I effectively have $230 off w/e I'm getting from Amazon. The card gives me extra warranty protection too so I'm covered for a pretty good period. So I'm think of just going with a TCL 5 or 6 series that's on sale and calling it a day.

I still don't want to really spend a ton still, but at the same time, who knows how long this wait will be. I would be coming from a KS8000.

Just grab the 55" TCL R617 if it fits in your budget. It's the best of the sets around that amount

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Been out of the tv game for a bit now, whats currently the best tv for hdr brightness and low input lag for gaming?

Vizio P Series Quantum X or Samsung Q90?

Just grab the 55" TCL R617 if it fits in your budget. It's the best of the sets around that amount

Just went ahead and pulled the trigger. This TV might be actually in an improvement over the KS8000 in a few ways. We'll how see how well local dimming handles things because the number 1 thing I hated on my KS8000 was the blooming effect during dark scenes where there was any sort of white on screen.

Since have a the extra warranty due to me using an AMEX card for this, I'll be covered for more than long enough.

Last edited:

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
There are no HDMI 2.1 graphics cards available now. Maybe we will see one with Navi late this year, but 2020 is probably a safer bet. Same story with consoles and receivers, expect them to get HDMI 2.1 in 2020.

As far as I know 120hz is still supported by previous versions of hdmi. Although not in 4K. But 1440p should be possible in 120hz.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
As far as I know 120hz is still supported by previous versions of hdmi. Although not in 4K. But 1440p should be possible in 120hz.

It hasn't been supported on any previous LG OLEDs though, you've always had to drop down to 1080p if you wanted to run at 120hz. No idea about whether there is 1440p support in the 9 series but I wouldn't bank on it.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fancy new LG TVs that are coming out soon (or are already out?) won't be able to play games in 4K over 60hz because the GPUs don't have hdmi 2.1 yet? If that is the case I'd rather just buy a heavily discounted B8 or C8 for now and look into upgrading the new tech when hdmi 2.1 becomes more mainstream. I guess it'll also be a while before GPUs are powerful enough to maintain 4K in 120hz.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't been supported on any previous LG OLEDs though, you've always had to drop down to 1080p if you wanted to run at 120hz. No idea about whether there is 1440p support in the 9 series but I wouldn't bank on it.

Seems like 1440p/120 may work on the 9-series.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...r-s-thread-no-price-talk-26.html#post57888046

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fancy new LG TVs that are coming out soon (or are already out?) won't be able to play games in 4K over 60hz because the GPUs don't have hdmi 2.1 yet? If that is the case I'd rather just buy a heavily discounted B8 or C8 for now and look into upgrading the new tech when hdmi 2.1 becomes more mainstream. I guess it'll also be a while before GPUs are powerful enough to maintain 4K in 120hz.

It is theoretically possible to pass a lower quality 4K/120 signal over HDMI 2.0, but so far only some of the new Samsung models are known to support this mode.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
You actually don't need HDMI 2.1 to play games in 4K at 60Hz as it's supported on HDMI version 2.0 as well. There is one caveat though in that you can't send a 4K60 signal with 10 or 12 bits per color (needed for HDR) and use RGB or 4:4:4 chroma subsampling at the same time. With 4K60, it's either SDR and 4:4:4/RGB or HDR and 4:2:2. Other than that, it works fine.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Just about every OLED is going to have some form of banding--which is a really odd term to begin with for the way most seem to want to be using it. Banding in the original sense was just where the transitions in gradients were not smooth at all and usually led to multiple "rings" of transitions. This is obviously worse in SDR than HDR too.

For example:

Colour_banding_example01.png

What most people seem to be referencing now though are the vertical columns that can be seen, which is just another uniformity issue. Some panels are going to be worse than others in this regard, but the likelihood of getting one that will never under any circumstance display either kind of banding at all is pretty much non existent right now. Even if slides end up making it look like it's flawless, chances are there is still some content where it can be seen in motion. Usually fast moving and with varying degrees of black at once. If you don't notice it the majority of the time, even if it's revealed from a slide, then it shouldn't really be an issue.

Right now, my new C8 has two really thick blotchy columns on one side, and I've only been able to notice it once so far, and only because I'm always looking for it. I knew that I shouldn't have bothered looking at any black and near black slides, but I ended up doing it anyway. I seemed to have gotten lucky with the white though. There's no perceptible tinting anywhere on a full white screen, which is what has the largest impact anyway. Uniformity can get slightly better over time too. Still just depends on luck though with the panel.

Also, either near black levels can vary by panel as well even within the same model, or LG did actually slightly improve them since 2016. At least on my current TV, there's a noticeable difference from the B6 and E6 that I previously had with some very problematic near black scenes. The improvement is very noticeable, even though these sets are still not flawless in that area yet.

I could see very faint yellow columns on my B6, but I absolutely cannot see anything on my current set, other than the slightly yellowish tint to the entire screen that is added from Warm2. There's no perceptible variance though, and changing it to medium or cool just changes it all uniformly. Red would be much worse though than yellow I think.
It's frustrating that people use "banding" to describe two entirely separate issues.
Limited gradation should be referred to as "posterization" or "false contouring" rather than "banding" - though I'm sure that I have also been guilty of using "banding" at times.