• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally tried out Monster Hunter World in HDR on my new X950G. Yuck. I mean I heard how poorly HDR was implemented before seeing myself, but I am shocked and baffled at how Capcom's implementation just distorts and drains the saturation, black levels, color, etc... it's a button toggle that just fucks shit up.

Shame too as the game really deserves to have strong HDR.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally tried out Monster Hunter World in HDR on my new X950G. Yuck. I mean I heard how poorly HDR was implemented before seeing myself, but I am shocked and baffled at how Capcom's implementation just distorts and drains the saturation, black levels, color, etc... it's a button toggle that just fucks shit up.

Shame too as the game really deserves to have strong HDR.

That's a shame, is this on PC or PS4?

Anyone here got a Q9FN and a Switch? Which colour space setting do you use? I was playing Owlboy and thought everything looked very washed out but changing colour space to native fixed it.

I even checked multiple playthroughs of the game and native definitely seems to match how the game should look.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone used a Skystream Three Android box? I was very surprised to read that it has HDMI 2.1 output, so wondering if it does any VRR, especially on Steam Streaming? None of the reviews mention it, but with the spec barely being out yet, I can see why it wouldn't be mentioned.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So my wife and I are both frustrated with our current TV (Hisense H9E Plus.) The display itself is fine as long as the display settings are set correctly. But the streaming features don't ever work right, the TV randomly "forgets" our display settings, and it's annoyingly hard to switch inputs if we don't have the remote control handy.

I've got a birthday coming up in about I'm thinking about upgrading. I've been seeing an OLED for around $1500 at Best Buy/Amazon. Otherwise I've also been thinking about one of the TCL displays in case $1500 isn't in the budget next month.

Anything that I should know about any of these? Is the OLED worth the money, or should I just go for the cheaper option?

Nov 20, 2017
So my wife and I are both frustrated with our current TV (Hisense H9E Plus.) The display itself is fine as long as the display settings are set correctly. But the streaming features don't ever work right, the TV randomly "forgets" our display settings, and it's annoyingly hard to switch inputs if we don't have the remote control handy.

I've got a birthday coming up in about I'm thinking about upgrading. I've been seeing an OLED for around $1500 at Best Buy/Amazon. Otherwise I've also been thinking about one of the TCL displays in case $1500 isn't in the budget next month.

Anything that I should know about any of these? Is the OLED worth the money, or should I just go for the cheaper option?

OLED is absolutely worth it over the TCL, but just be aware of the inherent differences with the technology, such as image retention.

If you're not the kind of person to marathon CNN or sports, and don't have 8 hour Overwatch sessions with a static HUD, you'll love the picture quality.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got a bonus from work as well as some freelance gig money recently, and yesterday was my birthday so I decided to treat myself to a 55" Toshiba 4K TV with HDR. This thing is massive in my room compared to the 32" Sony Bravia I had before. Currently testing out a bunch of 4K with HDR material that I own. Super stoked!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame, is this on PC or PS4?

PS4 Pro. Just switched off HDR as lighting looks less flat and image appears less washed out.

Hate that feeling of thinking something could be tweaked to get HDR looking good in the game, but by all accounts Capcom did some fake implementation that needs a fix on their end.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Wondering if anyone else has this happening to them, or if its just me. I upgraded from a Bravia 850D to an A8F. Doesn't happen often, but I get random stick drift on my DS4. Seems to happen only when the battery gets low, but I still need to watch if thats the case.

At first I thought it was the controller, but I have 3 and stop using one that it happen on, but it still happens randomly with another.

The reason I think its the A8F, maybe the bluetooth on it interfering, is because I still use my 850D and the controllers never drift.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get around watching this one, even if its a digital rental of it.

It's definitely worth a watch. Recently watched it on a trip to Korea and I was probably annoying people at times with how much I was laughing. The action can be followed and despite a cliche ending mechanic I really enjoyed it.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
It's definitely worth a watch. Recently watched it on a trip to Korea and I was probably annoying people at times with how much I was laughing. The action can be followed and despite a cliche ending mechanic I really enjoyed it.

Yeah, there are some very funny scenes in it. There's real heart to it as well and I found Hailee Steinfeld and Bumblebee himself to be very likeable and it was easy to become invested in their relationship. Honestly there was a scene that even got me in the feels a bit. You can really tell it wasn't directed by Michael Bay.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Ok dumb question probably. PS4 can do HDR, but cannot go into 4k. I need a PS4 Pro to get HDR? Got a 4k TV, but regular PS4, and in setting it tell me HDR is not supported.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a low-latency TV to use paired with a PC and StepmaniaX arcade-quality pad in a home DDR setup. The only catch is I only have room for everything in the garage, which is not temperature-controlled. Temperatures where I live can get up to 95+ in the summer and down to 30-40s in the winter. There's also humidity to consider in the summer. The garage is attached and insulated, which helps a bit, but there's no heating or AC inside of it.

How well do TVs fare in those sorts of conditions? Anything I can do to avoid ruining them? (other than waiting for more temperate weather and/or remodeling the garage to be climate-controlled)

For just the gaming side of the questions, I've seen people recommend the TCL-43S425:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-43S425-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B07DK5PZFY

It's relatively inexpensive and has low input lag in game mode. I probably don't need one quite that big, but it looks like that's the smallest that's available on Amazon. I have no idea if it'd hold up under the conditions I'm planning on using it in, though.

Anyone have any advice?

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a low-latency TV to use paired with a PC and StepmaniaX arcade-quality pad in a home DDR setup. The only catch is I only have room for everything in the garage, which is not temperature-controlled. Temperatures where I live can get up to 95+ in the summer and down to 30-40s in the winter. There's also humidity to consider in the summer. The garage is attached and insulated, which helps a bit, but there's no heating or AC inside of it.

How well do TVs fare in those sorts of conditions? Anything I can do to avoid ruining them? (other than waiting for more temperate weather and/or remodeling the garage to be climate-controlled)

For just the gaming side of the questions, I've seen people recommend the TCL-43S425:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-43S425-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B07DK5PZFY

It's relatively inexpensive and has low input lag in game mode. I probably don't need one quite that big, but it looks like that's the smallest that's available on Amazon. I have no idea if it'd hold up under the conditions I'm planning on using it in, though.

Anyone have any advice?

Know what, it was nearly the model i was about to choose, but went to the Toshiba Fire TV. This TCL TV is stuck in 120hz, so no way to turn soap opera effect off if you watch a movie ( i personally dont like that effect ). I thought that input lag was that important, my tv got like 35ms input lag, and its night and day compare to my old lcd tv. But i think the TLC is better for gaming, if you can spot the difference. Im currently blowned away with Gran Turismo in HDR with my TV!

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Man, shopping for tvs sucks. I was hyped to finally buy a new tv since I found an appertement, but reading reviews online drained my excitement pretty fast.

I had my eyes on the 65 inch Samsung NU8000. I have a budget of around €1000 and I saw its perfect for gaming so I thought, great! But then I read it has local dimming issues, especially with subtitles. Subtitles would make the tv go brighter and dim again when the subtitles are gone. I'm Dutch and watch a lot of content with subtitles. I'm already imagining myself getting really annoyed by this. Does anyone here with a Samsung NU8000 also experience these issues?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, shopping for tvs sucks. I was hyped to finally buy a new tv since I found an appertement, but reading reviews online drained my excitement pretty fast.

I had my eyes on the 65 inch Samsung NU8000. I have a budget of around €1000 and I saw its perfect for gaming so I thought, great! But then I read it has local dimming issues, especially with subtitles. Subtitles would make the tv go brighter and dim again when the subtitles are gone. I'm Dutch and watch a lot of content with subtitles. I'm already imagining myself getting really annoyed by this. Does anyone here with a Samsung NU8000 also experience these issues?

Its an edge lit LCD so local dimming is basically pretty weak or non-existent. The blacks will look dark grey whenever there is anything bright on the screen.

You need a high end LCD TV or an OLED to avoid this problem with subtitles, specially if watching a movie with black bars.

Its a fine TV for gaming on a budget, but you have to keep in mind that its one of the lower end LCD models from Samsung of their 2018 line, so you will see some compromises.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, there's A LOT of 24p content continually being produced. So yes?

I mean...well yes. Just asking if it's something that really makes a difference to people. My current (kinda busted) TV supported that but I guess I never noticed much of a difference myself when popping in a bluray versus streaming a movie through my PC or something. I ask because the TV I'm looking to replace it with doesn't support that, which surprised me. Didn't know it was some kinda high end feature now.

p.s. I hate that so many TVs have their stands on the edges of the TV now. They don't fit on my actual TV stand. :/

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

For the subtitles it is specifically going to be more noticeable when it's white subtitles on a very dark background.
If you are watching lots of varied content then it's not always going to be on a dark background. Ultimately it's not going to be any worse than an LCD you may have had in the past.

It's also going to be a bigger problem for people who have the display turned up to the max brightness. If you are watching in a dimmer environment then the backlight would be lower and you'll have fewer problems with dimming zones brightening

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
LG 2017 OLEDs - Calibrated Settings for Xbox One X / webOS (SDR/HDR/DV)
  • ALL PROFILES UPDATED TO V7.2 ULTIMATE (with minor tweaks, and all aligned with the goal to have the same PQ switching between them)
  • ADDED 2 OPTIONS FOR X1X/GAMING (Option 1: based on regular SDR/HDR Game; Option 2: based on PC Input/Mode + Input lag FIX!)
  • Firmware 5.80.15 or above is required
  • Added new in-game HDR suggested settings for Option 2
See the OP for more details and new Option 2 links, and let me know which is the Option you like the most.

Have fun!
-P

Serein

Mar 7, 2018

I had an MU7000 and yeah, subtitle bloom with HDR content especially in dark scenes is bad on an edge lit screen. Whatever tv you get though, be aware that both of the Panasonic 4K players I have had (UB900 and UB820) have subtitle brightness options which allows me to dim them to more reasonable levels that are more sympathetic to the film image. I don't know if it's a feature that's present in all of their models or what other brands have a similar option but it's something to bear in mind. Also, on these players it only works for discs not the streaming apps. Even with my B8 it's still a really useful function as I personally feel that subtitles are usually far brighter than they need to be in HDR content. Some mainly English language UHD films still have subtitled sections that are affected by this e.g. Black Panther, Schindler's List, Braveheart, Sicario films.

You can also change the vertical placement of them and lower them onto the black bar beneath the picture if you want. Really useful options for me as I have hundreds of kung fu films. :) A minor annoyance though is that these settings aren't saved and you have to readjust for every film.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Trying to figure out whether I should hold out for TVs that support both HDR10+ and DV (Panasonic GZ950 for example) or if I can make do with just one dynamic metadata format (ideally DV). What I can't actually find any info on is interoperability. Basically, what happens if I play an HDR10+ source on a DV TV? Do I still get decent HDR but lose the dynamic metadata? How much of a downgrade is that?

TV shopping sucks ass these days :(

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some do and some don't!

God I hate shopping for TVs. If my current one hadn't borked itself I think I'd have kept it forever.

For the subtitles it is specifically going to be more noticeable when it's white subtitles on a very dark background.
If you are watching lots of varied content then it's not always going to be on a dark background. Ultimately it's not going to be any worse than an LCD you may have had in the past.

It's also going to be a bigger problem for people who have the display turned up to the max brightness. If you are watching in a dimmer environment then the backlight would be lower and you'll have fewer problems with dimming zones brightening

Can't you disable automatic dimming? My current TV doesn't have this issue, although I disabled the dynamic contrast stuff day one.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Trying to figure out whether I should hold out for TVs that support both HDR10+ and DV (Panasonic GZ950 for example) or if I can make do with just one dynamic metadata format (ideally DV). What I can't actually find any info on is interoperability. Basically, what happens if I play an HDR10+ source on a DV TV? Do I still get decent HDR but lose the dynamic metadata? How much of a downgrade is that?

I really don't think it's worth worrying about.

All the discs are using a standard HDR10 master as their base. The worse case scenario is you get that with a roll off of highlights.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

Was in the same boat as you. Look for the past year, looking at rtings, thinking i need the absolute better value for money tv, and always saw something in their ratings turning me back. But this weekend, i had enough, decide to go for the best cheap tv, was torn between putting more money for thr NU8000, maybe get a lower model, the 7100, the TCL S425, or Toshiba Fire TV LF621. Went for the cheaper model, 55 inch Toshiba Fire TV, and im just impressed with what im seeing. I wanted a tv with good contrast and black, good stand ( dont want to put it on my wall ) , ability to turn motion off ( tcl was not offering this option with their 120hz tv )was not sure of 37 ms for gaming would hurt, but took the chance . Im just blowned away with what im seeing, if i compare it to my old 1080i LG LCD tv. What made me turn back from the Samsung is like a clicking sound you hear when you turn it on, and ask here about reliability and didnt got a good answer. Im taking a chance with this Toshiba, but i took the chance with lowest money invested .Wanted to get back an LG, but contrast and blacks were not good on them. So so far, extremely happy with my purchase! I just hope this Toshiba TV can give me a good 5-6 years of life, i will be happy if it does. And i dont have any subtitles problems with it at all, but dont know what are the subtitles problems with the samsung tbh.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Know what, it was nearly the model i was about to choose, but went to the Toshiba Fire TV. This TCL TV is stuck in 120hz, so no way to turn soap opera effect off if you watch a movie ( i personally dont like that effect ). I thought that input lag was that important, my tv got like 35ms input lag, and its night and day compare to my old lcd tv. But i think the TLC is better for gaming, if you can spot the difference. Im currently blowned away with Gran Turismo in HDR with my TV!

Thanks, I'll take a look at that model too. Any idea on how well it might do under the conditions I described?

Soap opera effect isn't really a big deal to me since I won't be watching any movies on it. This TV is going to be strictly for DDR (and maybe other rhythm games like IIDX).

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

HDR10+ is a format Samsung created to compete with Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision is still the superior format and is way more widely used than HDR10+. There is barely any actual HDR10+ content out right now, while theres already a ton of DV content out and continuously coming out. Netflix adopting Dolby Vision for all of its new shows and movies was a huge win for the format.

I wouldn't worry about a TV that lacks HDR10+ at all, but on the other hand I would worry a lot more about a TV that lacks Dolby Vision support, that would actually be a deal breaker for me no matter how good that TV was.

So you should be good going for a brand with DV support but no HDR10+ support, you wont be missing out a lot compared to if it was the opposite and it didn't support Dolby Vision.

Panasonic supports both this year and they make superb TVs tho, so its cool if you wanna wait for that too.

Alright, thanks! So if I can't have both, should I lean more towards DV (LG B8/C8) or HDR10+ (Panasonic FZ800)?

Definitely lean more towards Dolby Vision, it has been adopted by exponentially more film companies and content makers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung themselves eventually drop HDR10+ and start supporting Dolby Vision in the future.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Panasonic supports both this year and they make superb TVs tho, so its cool if you wanna wait for that too.
That was the original plan, but I'm seeing some great deals on 2018 OLEDs right now and if I want thoses kinds of prices on the upcoming sets it's going to mean waiting another year, which is hard ^^

So DV as a priority it is then! If I see any good deals on the LG C8 I'll probably crack.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
65" LGC9 going for $4,499 CDN and 65" LGE9 going for $4,999 CDN here in the Toronto area.

I plan on holding off until later this year to see how price drops play out.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I'll take a look at that model too. Any idea on how well it might do under the conditions I described?

Soap opera effect isn't really a big deal to me since I won't be watching any movies on it. This TV is going to be strictly for DDR (and maybe other rhythm games like IIDX).

Tbh, no clue how well any tv could survive with temperature differences, specificly the lower ones. For high heat maybe make sure its not a tv that goes hign in temperature. The TCL stay colder than my Toshiba so i think its a safer bet. Plus youll get better MS for DDR i think its important.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Does 24p support make a difference outside of watching a blu-ray?

It makes a difference for blu-rays, of course, but it also makes a difference for streaming depending on the device and service being used.

For example, the Apple TV supports 24p. It makes the TV switch to 24p for 90%+ of Netflix content, and for every iTunes movie/TV show.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Thanks for all the comments guys. I think I'll get the 65 inch NU8000. It still seems like the best tv in my price range and I'll mainly use it for gaming, Netflix and for some regular tv watching. Can't wait to play a game on a 65 inch tv. It'll be a big difference from a small monitor.

Even thinking about trading in my OG PS4 for a Pro. Then I'll trade in my Pro for a PS5 next year. I'll lose money on the trade, but right now I think it's worth it for being able to play with 4k/better performance untill late next year. But the money saving voice in my head is telling me otherwise.

Last edited:

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
OLED is absolutely worth it over the TCL, but just be aware of the inherent differences with the technology, such as image retention.

If you're not the kind of person to marathon CNN or sports, and don't have 8 hour Overwatch sessions with a static HUD, you'll love the picture quality.
I second this. Going from LCD to OLED was a game a changer. I am now waiting for LG to figure out how to eliminate the burn in risk and start making ultrawide hdr, curved oled pc monitors (for less than 3000 USD).

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't you disable automatic dimming? My current TV doesn't have this issue, although I disabled the dynamic contrast stuff day one.

Samsung doesn't let you turn their local dimming all the way off without going into service mode menu. You can set it to low though. Different from dynamic contrast.