• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
God I hate shopping for TVs. If my current one hadn't borked itself I think I'd have kept it forever.

Can't you disable automatic dimming? My current TV doesn't have this issue, although I disabled the dynamic contrast stuff day one.

It'll be that your TV can't go as bright then. It's typcally a problem that people have when the backlight is too high, or they are watching HDR content where the bright areas can create s little blooming. Disabling local dimming will stop it getting as bright And stop the dimming so the blacks will be more grey -as a standard LCD will be.
Therefore I would expect that it will be an improvement over a display without local dimming as you simply have more flexibility

Oct 28, 2017
I mean...well yes. Just asking if it's something that really makes a difference to people. My current (kinda busted) TV supported that but I guess I never noticed much of a difference myself when popping in a bluray versus streaming a movie through my PC or something. I ask because the TV I'm looking to replace it with doesn't support that, which surprised me. Didn't know it was some kinda high end feature now.

p.s. I hate that so many TVs have their stands on the edges of the TV now. They don't fit on my actual TV stand. :/
Why would you get this TV? Price/input lag? Are you not in the states?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It makes a difference for blu-rays, of course, but it also makes a difference for streaming depending on the device and service being used.

For example, the Apple TV supports 24p. It makes the TV switch to 24p for 90%+ of Netflix content, and for every iTunes movie/TV show.

Oh that's interesting, didn't know that.
Samsung doesn't let you turn their local dimming all the way off without going into service mode menu. You can set it to low though. Different from dynamic contrast.
It'll be that your TV can't go as bright then. It's typcally a problem that people have when the backlight is too high, or they are watching HDR content where the bright areas can create s little blooming. Disabling local dimming will stop it getting as bright And stop the dimming so the blacks will be more grey -as a standard LCD will be.
Therefore I would expect that it will be an improvement over a display without local dimming as you simply have more flexibility

That kinda sucks.

Why would you get this TV? Price/input lag? Are you not in the states?

Yes to both. Cheapo brands like Vizio or TCL don't exist here. Input lag's important to me because whatever TV I get will also be getting used as a PC monitor.

I'm not interested in splurging on an OLED or whatever.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Hopefully someone can help me out here with contrast.

On Rtings Lg c8 calibration article posted April 13th 2018 they say set contrast to 85.

On July 13th for the b8 they say set it to 90

On August 20th for their YouTube video they set it to 85.

On October 22nd for the e8 they set it to 90. And now for the c9 on May 2nd they recommend 90 again.

I'm just wondering what the correct setting is for the c8 and why they're flip flopping so much lol.

Sulaco

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the comments guys. I think I'll get the 65 inch NU8000. It still seems like the best tv in my price range and I'll mainly use it for gaming, Netflix and for some regular tv watching. Can't wait to play a game on a 65 inch tv. It'll be a big difference from a small monitor.

I have a 55" NU8000 and watch a lot of shows with subtitles. For SDR content with a backlight of 12 the local dimming isn't really an issue. However when I watch HDR content with the backlight at 50 local dimming is distracting. Changing the colour of subtitles to blue or green pretty much solves the problem.

Also you (and other LED TV owners) may notice some clouding on the sides of the panel in HDR mode during dark scenes in movies or when a game is loading (e.g. Sony Interactive Entertainment logo). If it bothers you this is massively improved using bias lighting.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully someone can help me out here with contrast.

On Rtings Lg c8 calibration article posted April 13th 2018 they say set contrast to 85.

On July 13th for the b8 they say set it to 90

On August 20th for their YouTube video they set it to 85.

On October 22nd for the e8 they set it to 90. And now for the c9 on May 2nd they recommend 90 again.

I'm just wondering what the correct setting is for the c8 and why they're flip flopping so much lol.

85 is actually too low and so is 90, you can get to 96 for SDR on a 6 7 8 9 series before any true clipping takes place outside of test patterns, due to 'junk data' on the WTW and BTB signal, range is restricted unnecessarily.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I have a 55" NU8000 and watch a lot of shows with subtitles. For SDR content with a backlight of 12 the local dimming isn't really an issue. However when I watch HDR content with the backlight at 50 local dimming is distracting. Changing the colour of subtitles to blue or green pretty much solves the problem.

Also you (and other LED TV owners) may notice some clouding on the sides of the panel in HDR mode during dark scenes in movies or when a game is loading (e.g. Sony Interactive Entertainment logo). If it bothers you this is massively improved using bias lighting.

Thanks for the tip about changing the subtitle color. Didnt't think about that. If I have issues with the local dimming I'll try that!

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Aww... goddamn it. I keep waiting on Vincent to tell me whether or not the C9 is worth it over the C8 (mostly for movie watching/Netflix/TV) and he said it's gonna take him a few weeks to do his review. What do. 77 C8 or 77 C9 (and all the extra money)?

No chance I wait especially if gaming is not in your top 3 uses.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the reason to get the C9 is the 4k/120Hz with VRR and grab a new PC GPU with HDMI 2.1 when they come out. There's a difference in picture processing that makes the C9 what to buy if they were the same price for some reason, but I wouldn't say it's worth the extra.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Aww... goddamn it. I keep waiting on Vincent to tell me whether or not the C9 is worth it over the C8 (mostly for movie watching/Netflix/TV) and he said it's gonna take him a few weeks to do his review. What do. 77 C8 or 77 C9 (and all the extra money)?

Worth bearing in mind that the 77" C8 uses 7 series panels, so you're more likely to have uniformity issues, potential higher risk burn in (due to reduced red sub pixel) and not as high peak brightness.

I thought my 7 uniformity was good until I got my 8, so so clean.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
No chance I wait especially if gaming is not in your top 3 uses.
Worth bearing in mind that the 77" C8 uses 7 series panels, so you're more likely to have uniformity issues, potential higher risk burn in (due to reduced red sub pixel) and not as high peak brightness.

I thought my 7 uniformity was good until I got my 8, so so clean.
Thanks. I've read that the C9 is slightly brighter than the C8 and that it handles motion slightly better. While not earth-shattering, those are things I'd like to have, not to mention 2.1 and VRR (just in case the next XB or PS are amazing). I just don't know if those things are worth $3,000 more. :(

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I've read that the C9 is slightly brighter than the C8 and that it handles motion slightly better. While not earth-shattering, those are things I'd like to have, not to mention 2.1 and VRR (just in case the next XB or PS are amazing). I just don't know if those things are worth $3,000 more. :(

I just have a hard time swallowing $7000 for a TV. Like $4000 is pricey already but $7000?

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After having an OLED for 3 years I don't know if I can ever go back to LED, even if it has FALD I think any clouding and imperfect contrast would be super irritating to me.

Just sucks about having to think about burn-in while gaming, even though I've gamed heavily on mine for 3 years and have had absolutely 0 issues with burn-in or retention, just knowing that it's possible is kind of always in the back of my mind lol

Fuuuuuuuck

If this was a couple months down the line after I had moved into the new house and started the new job I'd probably pull the trigger on this.

Nov 20, 2017
65" LGC9 going for $4,499 CDN and 65" LGE9 going for $4,999 CDN here in the Toronto area.

I plan on holding off until later this year to see how price drops play out.

Havn't gotten to see either myself quite yet, but if they're anything like the C8 vs E8, you should absolutely save the $500 difference and put it into a decent soundbar for a better experience. There's no picture or processor difference between them.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After having an OLED for 3 years I don't know if I can ever go back to LED, even if it has FALD I think any clouding and imperfect contrast would be super irritating to me.

Yea, when it comes to my personal display for movies and shows I could never go back to LCD.

I don't game as much as I did a few years ago, but I can see how that would be an annoying concern to have in mind for people that do play a lot of games.

Oct 27, 2017

Just buy the C8 77". Why buy the c9 for functionality you may be a couple years away from for $3000. Plus if you are mainly watching movies/shows the c8 vs c9 gap shrinks.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how to delete downloaded firmware on your LG OLED. My tv downloaded the firmware but has not installed it. So each time I turn it on, it ask me if I want to install. Is there a way to get rid of that?

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to buy the C8 or C9 for PS4 pro and Xbox One X gaming. How's input lag on the C9?

Also, I don't know much about this VRR stuff. Been out of gaming/tech for over a year now.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Is 2754 total a good price for the 65 inch lg c9? I've been counter offering with greentoe and this is the lowest price they have given me. Kinda want to see if I can bring it down lower or maybe I should just bite the bullet in case they counter offer higher.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Is 2754 total a good price for the 65 inch lg c9?

Z6WE6pr.gif

I actually love that OLEDs have hit the the point where you have to ask if $2800 for a 65" model 1 month after release is a good deal.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
85 is actually too low and so is 90, you can get to 96 for SDR on a 6 7 8 9 series before any true clipping takes place outside of test patterns, due to 'junk data' on the WTW and BTB signal, range is restricted unnecessarily.

I used RTINGs test pattern and came to around 95, is that a good amount or should I just set it to 100?

codeKnighter

Mar 15, 2019
Hi guys,

just a question regarding LG OLED past pricing patterns; I have a friend willing to purchase my Sony 55x930E now for 900 EUR, which is I think a very reasonable price (I paid 1300 EUR back in the day).

As my room is very dark, it might be the time to purchase my first OLED; I use the tv mainly for gaming and the occasional netflix binge, so I was interested on the C9 in particular for the 2.1 HDMI futureproofing and low input lag.

I plan to jump early into next gen, and with the exception of the 930e, I usually kept my tvs for 5-6 years, so I'm not planning on a short term fix with the C9.

I was considering purchasing the C9 when it gets around the 1700 EUR price range; with the B9 launching during summer around 2000 EUR, I guess that drop in price before november would be wishful thinking? I could manage to be without TV for a few months, but if the wait is too long I could consider purchasing and sticking with the C8 (1200 EUR), or not selling my 930E.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any tips for the LG C9 65" stand? With the metal scoop on it, I just can't get it installed.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Can someone please help me enable 10-bit color mode my B7? I'm running 1080p 4:4:4 60hz and want to enable 10-bit color depth in HDR.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Right so my girlfriend a 43" is now too small so after doing all the research and settling on a decent €600 TV I know have to do it all again for the 49" range. So would I be right in saying the 49xf9005BU series is the best LED I'll get for around €800? Real 4k and proper HDR?

https://powercity.ie/product/49XF9005

What's the different between the XF9005 and the Xf80?

Edit: I notice it's predecessor the x900e is no longer on sale. So with the x900g out is this at risk of being discontinued or will they continue to sell it for another year?

Last edited:

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Right so my girlfriend a 43" is now too small so after doing all the research and settling on a decent €600 TV I know have to do it all again for the 49" range. So would I be right in saying the 49xf9005BU series is the best LED I'll get for around €800? Real 4k and proper HDR?

https://powercity.ie/product/49XF9005

What's the different between the XF9005 and the Xf80?
XF9005 has full-array local dimming and a 100Hz panel I believe.