• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did you attach the base to the scoop the correct way? Take a look at that.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to double check, but it seems to only lock in place one way when you slide it in and then screw it. Keep trying different angles just in case but nothing. Looked at videos too, but they all seem to be the 55" model, so not sure if it's too different.

Thanks for your help btw

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
So has Sony stopped producing these now that the G range is out and they are just clearing the remaining stock?
I imagine so, yes. Based on the rtings review the G is more of a refresh of the F, not necessarily a meaningful upgrade.

rtings said:
The Sony X900F and the Sony X950G both have very similar performance. The X950G has lower input lag, which is good if you play video games or use the TV as a PC monitor. The X950G is brighter than the X900F, but the X900F has marginally higher native contrast ratio, although neither of these differences are noticeable under normal conditions.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I imagine so, yes. Based on the rtings review the G is more of a refresh of the F, not necessarily a meaningful upgrade.
Thanks. From what I see there's only slight improvements from the E to F to G. Considering this won't be our main TV in about 2 years when we'll buy an OLED I'm not too stressed about slight improvements. Price is king in this situation. And the F is going for €900 in the stores that still stock it. So if I miss out I'll have to wait 6-8 months for the G to hit similar prices because I'm not paying €1500 for a TV that isn't intended as the primary.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got the stand in. I'd managed to pick the place for the TV on Styrofoam to have a gap right where the stand was adding weight, so a tiny bit of flex was all it took to stop it fitting.

All in and we're go now. Beautiful thing.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Know what, it was nearly the model i was about to choose, but went to the Toshiba Fire TV. This TCL TV is stuck in 120hz, so no way to turn soap opera effect off if you watch a movie ( i personally dont like that effect ). I thought that input lag was that important, my tv got like 35ms input lag, and its night and day compare to my old lcd tv. But i think the TLC is better for gaming, if you can spot the difference. Im currently blowned away with Gran Turismo in HDR with my TV!
Are you sure about this? 120hz doesn't mean soap opera effect is always on. My LG B8 and my X900e are 120hz panels as well. That's just the lowest refresh rate 24fps and 60 FPS content are evenly divisible.

I'd be VERY surprised if the soap opera effect is not a setting that can be turned off and on.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to double check, but it seems to only lock in place one way when you slide it in and then screw it. Keep trying different angles just in case but nothing. Looked at videos too, but they all seem to be the 55" model, so not sure if it's too different.

Thanks for your help btw

So I had the exact same issue. Tv needs to be perfectly flat.

The main issue seems to be that the stand and scoop are a real tight fit. You really need to jiggle it and drop it a bunch to get it to fit. It will eventually slide in. It's a huge pain but it will eventually go. I ended up sliding it directly in not putting the pegs in and hinging down like they recommend.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Just incase anybody reading is curious about last year's models that are on a deep sale. So I rang Harvey Norman and they told me they won't be ordering in any more Sony 49" XF9005 sets once current stock is sold. My stores only have the display model but there is one store about 3 hours away that has a bit of stock. So they'll ring me back and if I want they can get it delivered.

I haven't rang competitors yet but it does in fact seem this is it for the 2018 XF range and soon the G model will be your only option.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure about this? 120hz doesn't mean soap opera effect is always on. My LG B8 and my X900e are 120hz panels as well. That's just the lowest refresh rate 24fps and 60 FPS content are evenly divisible.

I'd be VERY surprised if the soap opera effect is not a setting that can be turned off and on.

Yeah, readed that somewhere, at rtings i think. The TV is always in constant Tru Motion like.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, readed that somewhere, at rtings i think. The TV is always in constant Tru Motion like.
If that's the case, that has to be one of the most baffling design decisions I have ever heard.

Maddening.

Just read a review of the cited TCL model. There is NO motion interpolation mode. TCL claims there is, but it is a standard 60hz display.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I had the exact same issue. Tv needs to be perfectly flat.

The main issue seems to be that the stand and scoop are a real tight fit. You really need to jiggle it and drop it a bunch to get it to fit. It will eventually slide in. It's a huge pain but it will eventually go. I ended up sliding it directly in not putting the pegs in and hinging down like they recommend.

Yeah, fixed it before this post but that was it, there was a tiny amount of unevenness where the stand slotted in that I couldn't even see. But thanks for the help!

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
So, those of you who've managed to spend any amount of time with the LG B8 and C8 (and maybe some other recent OLEDs): is the price difference between the B8 and C8 really worth it? From what I gather the C8 has marginally better motion handling and brightness, but for someone coming from a 4-year-old 48" IPS (though a pretty good one) and having only read reviews and seen those TVs in-store, should I just jump on a decent deal for the B8 or is it worth waiting for the B9 or the Panasonic GZ950 or something? I want to keep it for a long time, and if the next generation of consoles support VRR and HFR I might want that, but otherwise I just want to watch movies and shows in optimal conditions and do a bit of gaming (including PC).

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So, those of you who've managed to spend any amount of time with the LG B8 and C8 (and maybe some other recent OLEDs): is the price difference between the B8 and C8 really worth it? From what I gather the C8 has marginally better motion handling and brightness, but for someone coming from a 4-year-old 48" IPS (though a pretty good one) and having only read reviews and seen those TVs in-store, should I just jump on a decent deal for the B8 or is it worth waiting for the B9 or the Panasonic GZ950 or something? I want to keep it for a long time, and if the next generation of consoles support VRR and HFR I might want that, but otherwise I just want to watch movies and shows in optimal conditions and do a bit of gaming (including PC).
If you can get the B8 for decently cheaper, I seriously doubt you are going to miss the other features. Unless you are REALLY sensitive to contouring and motion handling, but I went from a Sony X900E which is like first in class on motion handling and contouring, and I havent really been bothered by the differences, and the benefits upgrades in overall image quality have so far outweighed that the minor downgrades in motion handling and contouring, have really not been noticeable. Its really a HUGE leap in quality over most any LCD.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
If you can get the B8 for decently cheaper, I seriously doubt you are going to miss the other features. Unless you are REALLY sensitive to contouring and motion handling, but I went from a Sony X900E which is like first in class on motion handling and contouring, and I havent really been bothered by the differences, and the benefits upgrades in overall image quality have so far outweighed that the minor downgrades in motion handling and contouring, have really not been noticeable. Its really a HUGE leap in quality over most any LCD.
Thanks! It's a really hard decision given the money involved and I really don't want to fuck it up. I've narrowed down my choices quite a bit, but the C9 kind of has me drooling...

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Picture quality for the Vizio PQ is insane! Got a great unit and the colors with hdr brightness everything looks surreal. The recent update makes the tv near perfect and soon support for AirPlay too

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Thanks! It's a really hard decision given the money involved and I really don't want to fuck it up. I've narrowed down my choices quite a bit, but the C9 kind of has me drooling...

I get the want for the extra features, but nothing really will really fully utilize HDMI 2.1 for a while, and gaming wise, you aren't going to be running modern games at 4k 120hz any time in the near future.

It does make you more "future proof", but waiting for me would have required upgrading my receiver and replacing basically everything to even utilize it.

So it just didn't seem worth the extra 1000 dollars when I could get a B8 for less than 1600. I've seen some C8's though that have gotten surprisingly close to that price though, so if you want to spend the extra 200 bucks or so, it MIGHT be worth it while some are still in stock.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So I've started taking a solid look at TVs for a purchase in the next year whenever they go on solid sale, and I'm inching towards a LCD/QLED rather than OLED, since I want absolute peace of mind regarding long-term screen burn-in.

I've been looking at the various models and their differences, and I see a lot of difference regarding the Local Array Dimming feature. Notably I see numbers from 4x to 16x. But I can't find any information regarding what that unit represents. What does 4x represent? Does it mean it has only 4 different zones it can dim in the entire screen vs 16? or every 4 pixel vs 16? Or every 4 schmaggleblurg vs 16? That number literally means nothing to me. What does it represent? Can anyone point in a direction with that info? I can't find it...

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I get the want for the extra features, but nothing really will really fully utilize HDMI 2.1 for a while, and gaming wise, you aren't going to be running modern games at 4k 120hz any time in the near future.

It does make you more "future proof", but waiting for me would have required upgrading my receiver and replacing basically everything to even utilize it.

So it just didn't seem worth the extra 1000 dollars when I could get a B8 for less than 1600. I've seen some C8's though that have gotten surprisingly close to that price though, so if you want to spend the extra 200 bucks or so, it MIGHT be worth it while some are still in stock.

I know... My interest in HDMI 2.1 isn't necessarily for HFR 4k gaming but more for VRR, since there's a good chance next-gen consoles will support it and possibly PC graphics cards in a couple years. Receiver-wise I'm all set (no Atmos, but DTS/Dolby Surround is already plenty for me).

Maybe the Panny GZ950 is going to be what I need after all...

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So I've started taking a solid look at TVs for a purchase in the next year whenever they go on solid sale, and I'm inching towards a LCD/QLED rather than OLED, since I want absolute peace of mind regarding long-term screen burn-in.

I've been looking at the various models and their differences, and I see a lot of difference regarding the Local Array Dimming feature. Notably I see numbers from 4x to 16x. But I can't find any information regarding what that unit represents. What does 4x represent? Does it mean it has only 4 different zones it can dim in the entire screen vs 16? or every 4 pixel vs 16? Or every 4 schmaggleblurg vs 16? That number literally means nothing to me. What does it represent? Can anyone point in a direction with that info? I can't find it...

It's usually marketing nonsense to designate the number of dimming zones (sometimes the vertical count) in the panel.
The higher the number, typically the higher the resolution of dimming zones.
Which model were you looking at?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I know... My interest in HDMI 2.1 isn't necessarily for HFR 4k gaming but more for VRR, since there's a good chance next-gen consoles will support it and possibly PC graphics cards in a couple years. Receiver-wise I'm all set (no Atmos, but DTS/Dolby Surround is already plenty for me).

Maybe the Panny GZ950 is going to be what I need after all...
So your receiver supports HDMI 2.1? Or are you just routing your sound through it via optical or something?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's usually marketing nonsense to designate the number of dimming zones (sometimes the vertical count) in the panel.
The higher the number, typically the higher the resolution of dimming zones.
Which model were you looking at?

Yeah, but that's my question: Just what is the resolution of 4x? What is the resolution of 16x?

Looking at the review of the Samsung Q90R on Rtings has me salivating, but even when it eventually gets on sale it looks like its price might be a little too hard to swallow. So I'm wondering just how much of a hit I would take visually going a little lower-end like the Q70R or equivalent.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case, that has to be one of the most baffling design decisions I have ever heard.

Maddening.

Just read a review of the cited TCL model. There is NO motion interpolation mode. TCL claims there is, but it is a standard 60hz display.

Oh well, maybe i read it wrong and thought 120hz panel= Tru motion in the past like for my old LCD TV.

Taken from rtings:

The TV uses PWM to dim the backlight, but only below 17/100 backlight setting. Backlight PWM dimming results in a 120Hz flicker which might bother some people. This is very different behavior than the TCL S405, which used PWM dimming throughout the entire range of its backlight levels

Not sure if they were talking tru motion like, things might have change, not sure. Perhars i read it wrong, not perfectly understanding what they ment.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
So your receiver supports HDMI 2.1? Or are you just routing your sound through it via optical or something?
It doesn't, so that's probably what I'll do yeah. Or maybe plug it into the ARC HDMI port so that I can control the volume with the TV remote, and then figure something out when actual HDMI 2.1 devices start appearing.
Depending on how many of the TV's HDMI ports support 2.1, shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Oh well, maybe i read it wrong and thought 120hz panel= Tru motion in the past like for my old LCD TV.

Taken from rtings:

The TV uses PWM to dim the backlight, but only below 17/100 backlight setting. Backlight PWM dimming results in a 120Hz flicker which might bother some people. This is very different behavior than the TCL S405, which used PWM dimming throughout the entire range of its backlight levels

Not sure if they were talking tru motion like, things might have change, not sure. Perhars i read it wrong, not perfectly understanding what they ment.
No this is image flicker, not tru motion. 120hz just refers to the refresh rate of something and is not related to motion interpolation in and of itself. So basically this means the dimmer you set the tv, the more image flicker you may see.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, but that's my question: Just what is the resolution of 4x? What is the resolution of 16x?

Looking at the review of the Samsung Q90R on Rtings has me salivating, but even when it eventually gets on sale it looks like its price might be a little too hard to swallow. So I'm wondering just how much of a hit I would take visually going a little lower-end like the Q70R or equivalent.

Best thing to do is google it and see if any reveals have counted it. It depends on model and screen size

Nov 20, 2017

I have no complaints about my Q7DR, which is just a Q70R with a slightly better sound system as a store variety.

I seem to recall from my training that the whole 4x, 8x, 16x mostly comes down to software dimming.

I don't recall the actual numbers, but the breakdown is like Q70 = Q8 for zones, Q80 is somewhere between the old Q8/Q9 and the new Q90, and the Q90, while still top of the class, is defined more by the reintroduction of the one connect box and not drastically better.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Me: "My new LG C9 is ace and watching things in Dolby Vision is actually incredible. I should really play something that takes advantage of that"

Also Me:

IMG_20190513_193007.jpg

That local storage Dolby Vision HFR sample killed me. I need more HFR content in my life. It was so pretty and smooth.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I have a C8 since launch and it keeps wowing me, Aqua Man really was an HDR treat. It really is a shame that there is nearly no 4k HDR HFR content, I would love to watch sports in that way, but here in Germany there is no streaming service for that... DAZN hurry up with the 4k HDR! :) Lets hope Avatar 2 gets the HFR ball rolling (in 2021...).

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So I bought the 49" Sony X900f today. Bought an EU model so it's numbered differently. €980 so not bad. Splitting the cost with my partner so only costing me €490, delighted with that.

She wanted a second TV in the house so that's why we bought but it will take the stress off me waiting for improvements in the OLED lines. No pressure now and I'll happily wait 2 or 3 years for top Emmission OLEDS to go mainstream. Then I'll buy a true beast and this x900f will be replaced in the bedroom and relegated to the living room.

Edit: every single store bar one chain were sold out of the 49" models. There were still a few 55" models lying around. They only had three 49" sets left so I literally got the 3rd last one in my country. Otherwise I'd have to wait till black Friday for the new G series to get the price cuts. Just in the nick of time and last minute too as she decided only in the last week that 43" was too small.

Nov 20, 2017
So I bought the 49" Sony X900f today. Bought an EU model so it's numbered differently. €980 so not bad. Splitting the cost with my partner so only costing me €490, delighted with that.

She wanted a second TV in the house so that's why we bought but it will take the stress off me waiting for improvements in the OLED lines. No pressure now and I'll happily wait 2 or 3 years for top Emmission OLEDS to go mainstream. Then I'll buy a true beast and this x900f will be replaced in the bedroom and relegated to the living room.

Edit: every single store bar one chain were sold out of the 49" models. There were still a few 55" models lying around. They only had three 49" sets left so I literally got the 3rd last one in my country. Otherwise I'd have to wait till black Friday for the new G series to get the price cuts. Just in the nick of time and last minute too as she decided only in the last week that 43" was too small.

Killer TV, and was one of my former front runners. Enjoy dude, great choice.

Oct 28, 2017
Popped into Best Buy and they had Aquaman 4k blu ray playing. My god, the image quality was so damn good. Incredible color, image depth, black levels etc. They had that automotion shit on which was full of artifacts but man what an incredible picture.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Watched Jumanji(recent one) in DV. That is a reference disc for sure. Just stunning looking. Came bundled with my new player along with Spiderverse and I was actually quite entertained by it too.

My Panasonic TH-42PZ85U from 2008 is still trucking along, but how long do Plasmas typically last? I'm guessing the power supply will be the thing that kills it.

My Pioneer Kuro from 2008 is still hanging in and looking great too.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I can get the 55 inch Samsung NU8000 for €850 or the Samsung Q6FN for €900. Can't really find what the differences between these TV's are. From what I've read, the Q6FN is slightly better? Is it worth the €50 extra? I will mainly use it for gaming. Also looked at the Sony X900F, but I saw it has a worse input lag at 1080 outputs.

It's really tempting to buy a more expensive tv. Like the LG B8. But I'd be too worried about burn in. Or the Q9FN. But that's €1280 for a 55 inch. Should I scrounge up the money for a Q9FN. Is it worth the extra money?

Last edited:

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I can get the 55 inch Samsung NU8000 for €850 or the Samsung Q6FN for €900. Can't really find what the differences between these TV's are. From what I've read, the Q6FN is slightly better? Is it worth the €50 extra? I will mainly use it for gaming. Also looked at the Sony X900F, but I saw it has a worse input lag at 1080 outputs.

Has slightly better colour and contrast being the most noticeable. Worth the extra 50 for sure.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Compared the C8 and C9 on RTINGS in terms of input lag and the C9 has way more lag @ 4K/60hz/HDR than the C8

Booooooo

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
That is correct. We suspect that this is a bug in the most recent LG firmware, and LG could fix it in a future update. We will retest this."
Saw that the C8 had a similar bug too, but that was corrected way after launch. Looking to get a new TV within the next couple of weeks and the C9 just released IIRC.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is the C8 worth +300€ over the B8?
Sound Quality doesn't matter, my A/V receiver handles that. I'm only interested in console gaming with some Amazon Video/Netflix/Youtube sprinkled in. I do have some SD stuff running (cable), but mostly as background noise -- I absolutely don't care about its quality.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is the C8 worth +300€ over the B8?
Sound Quality doesn't matter, my A/V receiver handles that. I'm only interested in console gaming with some Amazon Video/Netflix/Youtube sprinkled in. I do have some SD stuff running (cable), but mostly as background noise -- I absolutely don't care about its quality.

This breaks down the main differences: https://www.4ktvcomparison.com/lg-o...ua-vs-oled55c8pua-oled65b8pua-vs-oled65c8pua/ . Have a read and see if the differences are worth the extra cash to you.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you very much.
Read the whole article and settled with the B8. I'm not very demanding, using a budget 2017 Samsung (MU61XX? something like that), the B8 should be a nice upgrade (also going from 55" to 65").

Good call. I just went from a 42" to a 65" yesterday and size wise I'm just happy that 8 player Smash and Virtua Racing are now viable.