• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
Right now I'm looking into 43" models of the XG80 (640e), XF85 (700e) and XG83 (800e) to replace my current bedroom TV that I use mostly for watching tv shows, movies and playing PS4 Pro and as a PC monitor.

Do you guys think I would be satisfied with the XG80 for this use case? Is there any info if this new model is a VA panel on the 43" model?
i've been looking mighty hard at the X800G (XG80) myself. the 43" model has an IPS panel, which is the primary draw for me due to my seating arrangements. the lack of reviews has made me hesitate though.

Reckoner

Oct 26, 2017
i've been looking mighty hard at the X800G (XG80) myself. the 43" model has an IPS panel, which is the primary draw for me due to my seating arrangements. the lack of reviews has made me hesitate though.
What's interesting is that the X8396G model has a B rating for power consumption and the X800G. That is making me realise that it is most likely a VA panel. Even if it's not 100% accurate, it makes sense and actually coincides with the panels from previous years.

I'll wait for certified info on this, tho.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Top emissions have been around the corner for the two or three years apparently too =\

As far as the b8s go I don't understand where the issue is. In app streaming seems to be fine and PS4 seems to be fine as well as far as blacks go so I'm a little confused.
Top Emmission will be important for 8k TV'S so while we don't have them now I'm hopeful we'll get something in 2020 and confident we'll have something by 2021.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rogue74 DOTDASHDOT Bumrush

The Sony x700 4k player has the same Dolby Vision raised blacks issue as the Apple TV 4k :(

I wanted to make sure so I tested The Matrix UHD disc on it. At first I thought it had no issues, but then I remember I already had brightness lowered to 48 for Dolby Vision Cinema Home on that input lol. Raised it to 50 and the black bars stop being perfectly black.

You have to lower brightness from 50 to 48 to fix it.

Its incredible that the best way to watch Dolby Vision movies on these TVs is through the internal Vudu app rofl.

At least that Sony player lets you disable Dolby Vision and it just plays the HDR10 version of it.

Hope John Archer or Vincent take a look at this, cause its clearly some software issue. I wonder if the C9s are affected too, cause its such an easy thing to miss if you're not looking for it, or you don't have a super dark room.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
So I tested the matrix. The black bars were jet black but the background of the green scrolling intro was slightly "brighter" in the 4KTV version than the onboard Vudu version. My wife - sitting 10' from the screen - didn't notice, but with my nose against the screen (not recommended) I could tell.

DOTDASHDOT 2Bee

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I tested the matrix. The black bars were jet black but the background of the green scrolling intro was slightly "brighter" in the 4KTV version than the onboard Vudu version. My wife - sitting 10' from the screen - didn't notice, but with my nose against the screen (not recommended) I could tell.

DOTDASHDOT 2Bee

Its very hard to notice from a distance even in a dark room yea. I have to get very close to my TV to check, but now its a thing my brain can't ignore :(

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have never noticed it and I'm not one to dwell on something like that if I can't see it. Would be nice to get a fix though since - as chamber noted - you buy OLED for the true blacks

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have never noticed it and I'm not one to dwell on something like that if I can't see it. Would be nice to get a fix though since - as chamber noted - you buy OLED for the true blacks
Agreed, I haven't noticed it much either, but I'd love to feel more comfortable knowing it's 100% fixed.

Supposedly, the Dolby Vision profile used by Sony 4K Blu Ray players fixes the issue. I know you don't do physical media. I still do, for now. I just ordered a Sony X800M2, which was just released. I should get it by Friday. I'll report back on whether it exhibits the bug or not.
Nice, the new player looks good. I'm hoping someone like Vincent or SpareChange does a comparison on the video quality of this new one compared to the X700. I know the build quality is better but I upgraded last year from the format launch Samsung to the 700 thanks to that DV support so it'd be good to know if there's any video quality upgrade or not, since otherwise I can wait for some sales to think about upgrading a second time, since the X700 is serving me well.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Rogue74 DOTDASHDOT Bumrush

The Sony x700 4k player has the same Dolby Vision raised blacks issue as the Apple TV 4k :(

I wanted to make sure so I tested The Matrix UHD disc on it. At first I thought it had no issues, but then I remember I already had brightness lowered to 48 for Dolby Vision Cinema Home on that input lol. Raised it to 50 and the black bars stop being perfectly black.

You have to lower brightness from 50 to 48 to fix it.

Its incredible that the best way to watch Dolby Vision movies on these TVs is through the internal Vudu app rofl.

At least that Sony player lets you disable Dolby Vision and it just plays the HDR10 version of it.

Hope John Archer or Vincent take a look at this, cause its clearly some software issue. I wonder if the C9s are affected too, cause its such an easy thing to miss if you're not looking for it, or you don't have a super dark room.

This is upsetting. John Archer had an article starting that the X700 didn't have the problem. I bought the x800m2 with that in mind and it arrives tomorrow.
Ready to be disappointed now :(. As you say, at least this player let's you force HDR10.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
This is upsetting. John Archer had an article starting that the X700 didn't have the problem. I bought the x800m2 with that in mind and it arrives tomorrow.
Ready to be disappointed now :(. As you say, at least this player let's you force HDR10.
It's pretty hard to notice and is seemingly closer than others (since he didn't notice it either and he's pretty good at that) so it probably kind of depends on the movie at least imo. I've enjoyed a lot of movies I've done in DV on the X700 over the last year or so since the player came out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I decided to try another disc, 2001 a space odyssey and this one has no issues at all. Black bars are perfect. Tried the itunes version and you can clearly see those moving artifacts in the opening black screen of the movie.

Im confused now.

Maybe the Sony player is better. Let me know what you find out when you test that new player.

Last edited:

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Got the LG B8 65" for $1100 and quite happy about it. Any reason I should NOT follow the Rtings.com recommended settings? So few changes is weird. Usually I need to make like 50 adjustments to my tv :p

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Got the LG B8 65" for $1100 and quite happy about it. Any reason I should NOT follow the Rtings.com recommended settings? So few changes is weird. Usually I need to make like 50 adjustments to my tv :p

That's a great price. I got my eyes on this tv as well. Still doubting about a C9 though. Enjoy your new set !

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Same here. Got mine yesterday and wasn't expecting this PQ out-of-the-box.
I only used the Rtings settings for general directions though, I personally don't like the very warm settings they recommend.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only used the Rtings settings for general directions though, I personally don't like the very warm settings they recommend.

The very warm color is the one setting that they universally get right in every TV.

I know it can be hard, or even unnatural at first, but its way better than wasting an expensive TV with standard, or god forbid, cold colors.

You get used to W40, just force yourself to get used to it is my advice.

After a while you will wonder how you could even watch stuff in even neutral/standard tone.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
The very warm color is the one setting that they universally get right in every TV.

I know it can be hard, or even unnatural at first, but its way better than wasting an expensive TV with standard, or god forbid, cold colors.

You get used to W40, just force yourself to get used to it is my advice.

After a while you will wonder how you could even watch stuff in even neutral/standard tone.

Why though? What is so good about it that makes it preferable to a neutral or cold setting? I am not saying you are wrong; I am just curious as to the reasoning behind this. Is there more to it than 'we should do it this way because some expert says so'?

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
2Bee I feel bad for you regarding the black bars thing. I've come to the conclusion that it's completely a non-issue at normal distances for me

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why though? What is so good about it that makes it preferable to a neutral or cold setting? I am not saying you are wrong; I am just curious as to the reasoning behind this. Is there more to it than 'we should do it this way because some expert says so'?

Right there on rtings, on pretty much every single Tv they review, stop being restricted to cold colors.

Last edited:

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Cold color temp is not natural at all. Warm is more realistic.

If you want people to look like white walkers, by all means use cold. It's personal preference for all the settings on your TV (except fucking soap opera effect)

Reckoner

Oct 26, 2017
Am I going to notice a difference big enough between the LG UK6950 and the X900F that justifies double the price? One is a 8-bit FRC panel, the other is WCG 10-bit.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Usually I follow Rtings but just do Warm 1 or the equivalent instead of Warm 2 which they tend to recommend

Oct 28, 2017
Need to give me yourself time to adjust to warm settings. I guarantee after a few weeks your eyes will adjust and you will go back to cold and realize just how off/blue it is.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Ghost in the Shell/Innocence set finally arrived from Japan. All UHDs are of course region free and both have English subtitles so I'm eager to see how these look.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so surprised BFI on the 8's doesn't get more love! 60hz SDR gaming with OLED light 100 and contrast 100 is a sight to behold, all those textures and backgrounds staying blur free and in focus whilst panning, is beautiful :)

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I've got a Sony sa-ct80 and now that I've got the C9, I'm surprised by how much better it sounds with the optical passthrough in Dolby Digital. I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading though. If I spent a few hundred, is there much of a difference I could get? Can't fit surround really, so would be a sound bar.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Are any others getting Dolby Vision raised blacks AGAIN through the HDMI port on a C8? I've tried XB1X and ATV, all my films are fucked basically, TV's Netflix app is fine........can't believe this tbh, as soon as the lights go off it's like a poor LCD.
.55 firmware.

This is a issue Dolby identified, associated with a part of the grading software. Dolby Vision use what is called, "Trim Passes". The trim passes are controls, the colorist can use to modify the original HDR grade, for different peak nit targets. One of the features is, "Lift", which if used improperly can and will cause blacks and especially wide screen bars to become gray.

Instructions are available in a whitepaper released by Dolby to avoid that issue, maybe some colorist have yet to get the memo.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
This is a issue Dolby identified, associated with a part of the grading software. Dolby Vision use what is called, "Trim Passes". The trim passes are controls, the colorist can use to modify the original HDR grade, for different peak nit targets. One of the features is, "Lift", which if used improperly can and will cause blacks and especially wide screen bars to become gray.

Instructions are available in a whitepaper released by Dolby to avoid that issue, maybe some colorist have yet to get the memo.

Why is it only happening with devices connected via HDMI? And why do those same devices not exhibit the issue in Dolby Vision when connected to TVs other than LG OLEDs?
I'm not saying that what you are describing isn't an issue. I just don't think it's what we have been discussing the last few pages.
I think that if it was a mastering issue we'd be seeing it everywhere we play the material no matter the device or connection method.

Last edited: