• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So more on the banding I see on my TV.

Do any of you guys see the banding on this image on whatever display device you're using right now?

And is this normal?

t919kqhkvuo31.jpg

Do you kind of see the faint circular banding looping around from the center of the image outward?

I see a ton of banding on this LCD IPS monitor I'm using right now.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

Do any of you guys see the banding on this image on whatever display device you're using right now?

And is this normal?

t919kqhkvuo31.jpg

Do you kind of see the faint circular banding looping around from the center of the image outward?
Yeah like others here I'm gonna chalk that up to a game issue. Some games are just bad for banding, particularly skyboxes.

Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen is one of the worst for it.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
btw I just noticed that my LG B8 no longer has "auto" as an option for my black level. Which really sucks because for SDR I set my PS4 Pro to Full, and HDR I have it set to Limited.

But because the TV doesn't have an auto option anymore I have to change both the PS4 and TV settings each time I switch between SDR rated or HDR rated games.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

And is this normal?

t919kqhkvuo31.jpg

I see this kind of banding in a ton of games. It was one of my reasons for upgrading to my LG B7 but sadly it still has it, so it very much seems like games just continue to be made this way.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
What the heck is going on with the QLED TCL 6 series launch, still only available on Amazon after about a week, and considering the amount of active posters there's a worrying amount of busted panels people have been getting (on AVS forums). One poster had a different model/manufacturer TV altogether in their TCL box that showed up xD

Pretty sure that one case is some warehouse shenanigans going on however.

I'm ignorant to TV launches but is it normal for only one outlet (Amazon) to get it at first? Surprised Best Buy and Walmart haven't gotten some yet, but again I'm not sure how these things typically go wrt TV releases.

Regardless I'm holding out for a Rtings review plus BB availability for easy returns (knock on wood for a Costco release for that extended warranty), but I saw this posted over in the AVS thread for the R625:

Not a full review but it looks very promising, insanely good black levels apparently.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
btw I just noticed that my LG B8 no longer has "auto" as an option for my black level. Which really sucks because for SDR I set my PS4 Pro to Full, and HDR I have it set to Limited.

But because the TV doesn't have an auto option anymore I have to change both the PS4 and TV settings each time I switch between SDR rated or HDR rated games.

That sounds completely wrong. Black level should be grey'ed out when you watch hdr content. You shouldn't have to switch anything on your ps4 and tv.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the heck is going on with the QLED TCL 6 series launch, still only available on Amazon after about a week, and considering the amount of active posters there's a worrying amount of busted panels people have been getting (on AVS forums). One poster had a different model/manufacturer TV altogether in their TCL box that showed up xD

I'm ignorant to TV launches but is it normal for only one outlet (Amazon) to get it at first? Surprised Best Buy and Walmart haven't gotten some yet, but again I'm not sure how these things typically go wrt TV releases.

Regardless I'm holding out for a Rtings review plus BB availability for easy returns (knock on wood for a Costco release for that extended warranty), but I saw this posted over in the AVS thread for the R625:

Not a full review but it looks very promising, insanely good black levels apparently.

While that does sound like some weird warehouse and shipment issues, I think it might be related to the cost saving efforts that go into making these TVs.

With TCL and (even Vizio to a lesser extent) you run a higher risk of losing out on the panel lottery too, because these companies try to save money anywhere they can, and QA is one of those areas.

Its the downside of getting such an amazing TV for such a great low price. You just need to be willing to research and inspect the panel then determine if its acceptable, if not, then just return and exchange till you get an acceptable one.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only effect your TV will have on banding is how efficient it is at removing it and not details of the image itself. There is no way to remove banding without losing some detail. Sony does a decent job but even then I would rather have bands and retain picture quality. In other words, don't beat yourself up trying to get rid of it as you won't. It is there in the source material.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only effect your TV will have on banding is how efficient it is at removing it and not details of the image itself. There is no way to remove banding without losing some detail. Sony does a decent job but even then I would rather have bands and retain picture quality. In other words, don't beat yourself up trying to get rid of it as you won't. It is there in the source material.

Its the one thing I can say my old X900F does better than my C8.

It wont fix or solve it completely, and in most cases its a problem with the source content, and then how you prefer to deal with it.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Do we have any Apple TV 4K users from Germany here? I was wondering if all movies have an English track? Preferably Atmos.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
When I turn my Samsung Q9FN on and I then power on the Nintendo Switch via the controller, it automatically switches over to the Switch input. I really like that. But when I do the same with Xbox One X it doesn't switch over to it. How come? And can I make it work that it does switch to it?

There is a setting for activating this on the xbox. I've sold my xbox so I can't really guide you to where it is. Maybe under power options or something similar...?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda cross posting to give yall a heads up. Beachcamera on EBAY has 10% off their C9s.

I chose the 55" C9 for $1149. + $99 in taxes for Cali. Free shipping.

If it doesn't show the discount through the Ebay App, use the browser version. That's what I had to do. Special thanks to Slickdealz like always.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that if I'm in the market for a new receiver on my C9, I may as well wait for more devices with HDMI 2.1 and see what the craic is to make sure it can pass VRR and full 4k/120 bandwidth? Nothings been verified yet?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
In a moderately lit room (think regular ceiling lights in a room) - what should my LG B8 be set at?

I think I have backlight at 80 and contrast at 90

well if you and look at RTINGS, they have got backlight set at 21 for 100nits, which is broadly what gamma 2.2 is geared up for.
But of course, then you'll see that this is too dark for daylight useage.

this is partly why we have moved the image formats away from gamma and 8bit video, as they simply don't meet the capabilities of our displays

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

It's taken long enough now for me, that I've been seriously looking at just going all out at a LG B9. Maybe if the reviews are good enough, it can convince me to go without the future proof setup of HDMI 2.1 and VRR. I dunno. I just want some solid reviews already.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's taken long enough now for me, that I've been seriously looking at just going all out at a LG B9. Maybe if the reviews are good enough, it can convince me to go without the future proof setup of HDMI 2.1 and VRR. I dunno. I just want some solid reviews already.

Consider the C9 if you want 'better' future-proofing as the B9 is not getting the G-Sync support update.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I have a Sony 900f. Considering selling it to pick up an OLED. Possibly an LG C9. Worth the upgrade? What are the drawbacks?

Thanks!

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Consider the C9 if you want 'better' future-proofing as the B9 is not getting the G-Sync support update.
I'd been told that, but I'd never hook my PC up to it. Knowing VRR is in there and most likely being perfectly compatible with not only my X, but future Xbox and (presumably) PS5, I think the B9 would be the better purchase for me.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gah, my C9 just developed a really noticeable white line down part of the left of the screen. Weirdly, at the end of a manual picel refresh, it's exactly where it draws the vertical line for that process. Time to get LG out...

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a TV for the bedroom. Doesn't need to be a high end TV, but I would like it to be decent. Looking at a 2019 TCL 6 series or a Sony x900f. The Sony is $200 more than the TCL. Any reviews of the new 6 series yet? I know last year's model got good reviews.

Mostly going to be used for regular TV and streaming shows. I have a q90r in the living room for gaming.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
I'm looking for a TV for the bedroom. Doesn't need to be a high end TV, but I would like it to be decent. Looking at a 2019 TCL 6 series or a Sony x900f. The Sony is $200 more than the TCL. Any reviews of the new 6 series yet? I know last year's model got good reviews.

Mostly going to be used for regular TV and streaming shows. I have a q90r in the living room for gaming.

I don't know much about the TCL series, so can't help you there but I own the 55" & 65" X900F series and I'm in love with the sets. It does everything that I need it to. Picture quality is amazing, as is HDR. IMO, it can actually get a bit too bright (depending on the content), so I've dialled down the settings for brightness a bit. But it's great to have that headroom so if I want to show off a game even more, I can do so. What really surprised me is the upscaling of 1080p content. It does a great job of upscaling and I'd say it looks better than native 1080p content on a 1080p TV. Another thing that surprised me is SDR mode. If you turn X-tended dynamic range to low, it has this sort of quasi SDR to HDR conversion it does which really gives standard material a really convincing HDR-ish sort of look. Input lag is pretty good on Game mode at around 21 ms. Motion handling is superb with its implementation of BFI. I'm happy for this set to see me through the PS5 gen.

Personally, I'd say go for the X900F, granted I don't know much about the TCL but if you're just primarily going to be using it for regular TV and streaming then this does a great job of it.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

If its just a bedroom tv I would save the money and buy the TCL, the 900F isnt gonna be that drastic of an improvement. For a main display I would go 900F, but for the bedroom I'd be fine w the TCL.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The white line has gone itself, but there's still a 2cm width vertical band of noticeable discolouration, so I'm still getting it sorted.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've got Samsung coming to replace my panel, I've had awful screen uniformity issues manifest themselves, a massive horizontal band across the whole screen. It's awful.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Who else is waiting on what Black Friday brings for sales? I want to get a 65 inch LG C9 OLED. Some tempting prices out there already but I'm gonna hold out til Nov.

Oct 27, 2017

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
If its just a bedroom tv I would save the money and buy the TCL, the 900F isnt gonna be that drastic of an improvement. For a main display I would go 900F, but for the bedroom I'd be fine w the TCL.

Thanks. Probably going to go with the TCL or the Hisense H9F. Both can be had for the same price of 899.

The 900f I can get for 999 depending on when it's on sale. Any chance that either of these will drop lower for Black Friday? I'm not in really a rush. I'm going to be wall mounting the TV in a corner if it makes a difference also.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Oh that sucks! just out of curiosity was the problem there since day one or did it recently gotten worse? (or was it a tv you recently bought?)

This has occurred recently, there was a little DSE that I could occasionally see on a plain grey screen, but this that has manifested recently and was visible in lots of places due to it being so straight any uniform and it was too much to let slide.
I got the tv 4 months ago.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Is this is a good thread to ask for computer monitor advice? I'm looking for a cheap monitor to use with a slim PS4. I currently use some Dell S series monitor and it's dying. I need a replacement soon. Anything decent under $150?

Edit:
I can get a refurbished HP 27F from NewEgg for $130. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My TV fixed itself overnight. Because the white line was the exact place of the pixel refresher, I think it must just have gotten stuck as the standy one is different from the manual one. But everything looks fine now.

Even ran a vertical banding test to check that line of discolouration had gone and it looks perfect over the whole screen.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a definite tier list somewhere? Is the C9 just considered the clear winner?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a definite tier list somewhere? Is the C9 just considered the clear winner?
There isn't a tier list. LG's C-series OLEDs are usually the best mix of price and performance among premium class TVs so that's why they get a lot of discussion here. Having the only OLEDs with HDMI 2.1 features is another feather in LG's cap.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I would consider the QLED TCL 6 series, but now without VRR or HDMI 2.1, I kinda feel I have to go for the C9. Whatever I purchase tech-wise, I usually want for the long haul if it can be helped.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would consider the QLED TCL 6 series, but now without VRR or HDMI 2.1, I kinda feel I have to go for the C9. Whatever I purchase tech-wise, I usually want for the long haul if it can be helped.

I mean if you aren't in a rush all the sets next year will likely be HDMI 2.1 and games consoles will be out that make use of its features, so we will know for sure how compatible each set is. The C9 still has problems in certain areas, but nothing that can't be ironed out by firmware.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you aren't in a rush all the sets next year will likely be HDMI 2.1 and games consoles will be out that make use of its features, so we will know for sure how compatible each set is. The C9 still has problems in certain areas, but nothing that can't be ironed out by firmware.
Yeah, that's my thing right now. I kind of want to be set up for the new consoles. I'm antsy, which is never a good time to buy, but I've waited for a long time. What I'm upgrading from will feel like night and day to me.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I was between the C9 and TCL R625 for those same reasons but ended up just ordering the TCL and will maybe look to revisit down the line as the cost savings today was large and it's still a capable 4K/HDR set. If I'm not in love with it when it arrives then I'll probably just bite the bullet and do the C9 though.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if my main concern was the next gen consoles I'd just wait until next year to buy. At the very least you ensure yourself another year of firmware support.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I have an oddly specific OLED TV gaming question.. regarding video game FFVIII Remastered(recently released on ps4).

I am on game mode for everything, and it obviously stays on when i boot up VIII. I get to the main menu and I see a perfect bright white background as FF games usually game.. The issue is, a second or two later, it gets more dim and almost perhaps turns tan colored?

I know already that this is not an issue of the screen not being able to show bright white, because it can after testing it with youtube blank background vids. After I hit continue to load up, the square soft logo appears and I see that the font/words are bright white as they should be. This is immediately after i click continue from that initial white background screen. I suppose I could change it from game mode to regular standard tv mode and it would brighten it up. But the issue is not with the overall brightness of games. I am fairly satisfied with this tvs game mode brightness. RDR2 after the patch, God of War, Horizon, Spiderman all looked amazing lighting wise. I never once thought it needed to be brighter. Same with the recent COD beta. FFVIII itself is great , it is just that initial screen lol .

so.. Has anyone attempted to play FFVIII on their OLED tv? Has anyone noticed this whatsoever on the initial white background/FF logo screen? (I have the 2017 B7A)

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have an oddly specific OLED TV gaming question.. regarding video game FFVIII Remastered(recently released on ps4).

I am on game mode for everything, and it obviously stays on when i boot up VIII. I get to the main menu and I see a perfect bright white background as FF games usually game.. The issue is, a second or two later, it gets more dim and almost perhaps turns tan colored?

I know already that this is not an issue of the screen not being able to show bright white, because it can after testing it with youtube blank background vids. After I hit continue to load up, the square soft logo appears and I see that the font/words are bright white as they should be. This is immediately after i click continue from that initial white background screen. I suppose I could change it from game mode to regular standard tv mode and it would brighten it up. But the issue is not with the overall brightness of games. I am fairly satisfied with this tvs game mode brightness. RDR2 after the patch, God of War, Horizon, Spiderman all looked amazing lighting wise. I never once thought it needed to be brighter. Same with the recent COD beta. FFVIII itself is great , it is just that initial screen lol .

so.. Has anyone attempted to play FFVIII on their OLED tv? Has anyone noticed this whatsoever on the initial white background/FF logo screen? (I have the 2017 B7A)

I never noticed that, sounds like it's probably the logo luminance setting though. When it detects a static, bright image, it will dim. If your turn that off, you increase your risk of burn in, but I think it'll be brighter.