• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I never noticed that, sounds like it's probably the logo luminance setting though. When it detects a static, bright image, it will dim. If your turn that off, you increase your risk of burn in, but I think it'll be brighter.
You may be correct, i noticed that when I click the LG menu for the tv. It opens the hdmi options etc and in the background the image goes back to bright white. I guess i probably do have that on. I have a 2017 and I thought this was a 2018+ feature for LG oleds. maybe i have it turned on somewhere in the settings.

Thanks for the suggestion. in any case, it doesnt interfere with gameplay, or scenes, it is just that one menu screen. The other games don't do that.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I find it funny the position I'm in. I was about to pull the trigger on last year's 55 inch 4k TCL when a poster here stopped me a couple of weeks back. Telling me QLED was about to drop. I waited so long for a review (still not available), I started to question why I'd short myself on future-proofing with no HDMI 2.1, VRR, etc. Things the current line of TCL lacks. Then I convince myself the C9 is the way to go, but I'm not even sure of that one anymore. I know it's mostly a non-issue, but I do have reservations about burn in. So I find myself waiting until early next year, or whenever a new batch rolls around. Maybe TCL ups their game in the missing features department? Maybe I cave and get the C9 if there's some kind of deal over the holidays? Tune in next time!

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I find it funny the position I'm in. I was about to pull the trigger on last year's 55 inch 4k TCL when a poster here stopped me a couple of weeks back. Telling me QLED was about to drop. I waited so long for a review (still not available), I started to question why I'd short myself on future-proofing with no HDMI 2.1, VRR, etc. Things the current line of TCL lacks. Then I convince myself the C9 is the way to go, but I'm not even sure of that one anymore. I know it's mostly a non-issue, but I do have reservations about burn in. So I find myself waiting until early next year, or whenever a new batch rolls around. Maybe TCL ups their game in the missing features department? Maybe I cave and get the C9 if there's some kind of deal over the holidays? Tune in next time!

I've been beating around the bush on getting a new TV for a year now. Fuck it, I'm getting the C9.

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I need to buy a TV next week.
50-55 inch.
Mostly for games and movies.
Suggestions? Anything under 800$

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone should buy this without at least waiting for reviews on the new model of the same set released in the last couple of weeks
Agreed. I'll be curious how it fares. He does say he needs it next week, so I thought it might be a good fit. Who knows when these reviews are coming. Feels like it's taking forever for some reason.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone in here rolling with the Vizio P75F (2018) or P series in general? Curious as to how you have your picture settings. I found myself not really liking rtings recommended settings much. I have a generally dark room. Felt like my set needed more color than recommended in HDR. Is that fine? or am I missing the point of HDR by adding more color to the picture? Other than that pretty satisfied so far.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone in here rolling with the Vizio P75F (2018) or P series in general? Curious as to how you have your picture settings. I found myself not really liking rtings recommended settings much. I have a generally dark room. Felt like my set needed more color than recommended in HDR. Is that fine? or am I missing the point of HDR by adding more color to the picture? Other than that pretty satisfied so far.

It shoudnt look any more colourful than when it's not enabled, but what is often the case is that one mode is oversaturated and HDR keeps the overall brightness in a more calibrated like state, so it appears dimmer and less colourful again

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I have an oddly specific OLED TV gaming question.. regarding video game FFVIII Remastered(recently released on ps4).

I am on game mode for everything, and it obviously stays on when i boot up VIII. I get to the main menu and I see a perfect bright white background as FF games usually game.. The issue is, a second or two later, it gets more dim and almost perhaps turns tan colored?

I know already that this is not an issue of the screen not being able to show bright white, because it can after testing it with youtube blank background vids. After I hit continue to load up, the square soft logo appears and I see that the font/words are bright white as they should be. This is immediately after i click continue from that initial white background screen. I suppose I could change it from game mode to regular standard tv mode and it would brighten it up. But the issue is not with the overall brightness of games. I am fairly satisfied with this tvs game mode brightness. RDR2 after the patch, God of War, Horizon, Spiderman all looked amazing lighting wise. I never once thought it needed to be brighter. Same with the recent COD beta. FFVIII itself is great , it is just that initial screen lol .

so.. Has anyone attempted to play FFVIII on their OLED tv? Has anyone noticed this whatsoever on the initial white background/FF logo screen? (I have the 2017 B7A)

This is called ASBL - not to be confused with ABL, which is related to the maximum screen brightness.

You can try to disable it, but do so at your own risk.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It shoudnt look any more colourful than when it's not enabled, but what is often the case is that one mode is oversaturated and HDR keeps the overall brightness in a more calibrated like state, so it appears dimmer and less colourful again
Oh ok. I guess my main issue is that I don't have a good point of reference for HDR and what it should look like. I had the Samsung KU6300 before which wasn't capable of actual legit HDR, and moving to this set which was vetted to have pretty good HDR. I guess i'm expecting to be blown away and immediately notice the differences. I'll probably need to do some more tinkering to figure that out. Could cables possibly affect HDR quality by chance? The ones I have(ECHOGEAR) are rated for HDR and are transmitting the appropriate signals it seems so i'm assuming it is.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Oh ok. I guess my main issue is that I don't have a good point of reference for HDR and what it should look like. I had the Samsung KU6300 before which wasn't capable of actual legit HDR, and moving to this set which was vetted to have pretty good HDR. I guess i'm expecting to be blown away and immediately notice the differences. I'll probably need to do some more tinkering to figure that out. Could cables possibly affect HDR quality by chance? The ones I have(ECHOGEAR) are rated for HDR and are transmitting the appropriate signals it seems so i'm assuming it is.

You might just need to find the right content. What games machinesdo you have?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking a lot of people just really like over-saturated colors and blown out brightness.

(this comment is not directed at anyone in particular)

I was at a friends place this past weenkend and was taken aback by them having their set on vivid mode or however it was called on that Samsung.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
My ATV is being really weird since updating to os13. Voices shift from the center speaker to all speakers in the middle of the same scene. There isn't any camera changes or anything to cause that change. It's super annoying. I wonder if it's an atmos thing only.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You might just need to find the right content. What games machinesdo you have?

That might be the culprit too. Pretty much have them all. Xbox one X and PS4 Pro and PC with GTX 1080Ti's (SLI). Checked the tv settings via xbox and PS4 and I get all the appropriate checks saying this tv can show HDR and Dolby vision etc. Lately been playing MHWI which isn't probably the best representation for HDR according to your videos on it. Also played Gears 5 as well but haven't been playing that in a while. I also checked out your videos with my set in HDR also for Gears and Monster Hunter. I have some of the big hitters like God of War and some of the others mentioned like Horizon zero dawn, but have yet to check those. I'll try those out and see how the HDR fares there then i'll know for sure. Thanks!

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's up dudes.

I'll be looking to buy a TV this Black Friday, but I'm sort of unsure as to what I should be looking at. Let's say my budget is $2000 (Canadian) and I'm looking for a 65 inch TV. I'm hoping to get a TV that will be future-proof for the upcoming next-gen consoles, but everything I see that includes HDMI 2.1 and freesync (which I've read is what I should be looking for?) is sort of out of my price range. Should I even be worrying about this stuff?

I see a lot of praise for the Samsung QN line, and it's been on sale at Costco and elsewhere lately - is that one I should be looking at? Or should I be waiting for something with HDMI 2.1 support to become cheaper? That being said, I really want to get a TV soon - I'd rather not wait a year.

There's just so damn much to be aware of when shopping for a TV - but so much of that is also stuff I'd likely never notice anyway lol. Just looking for some help.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: This one https://www.costco.ca/Samsung-QN65Q60-65-in.-Smart-4K-QLED-HDR-TV.product.100489461.html

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That might be the culprit too. Pretty much have them all. Xbox one X and PS4 Pro and PC with GTX 1080Ti's (SLI). Checked the tv settings via xbox and PS4 and I get all the appropriate checks saying this tv can show HDR and Dolby vision etc. Lately been playing MHWI which isn't probably the best representation for HDR according to your videos on it. Also played Gears 5 as well but haven't been playing that in a while. I also checked out your videos with my set in HDR also for Gears and Monster Hunter. I have some of the big hitters like God of War and some of the others mentioned like Horizon zero dawn, but have yet to check those. I'll try those out and see how the HDR fares there then i'll know for sure. Thanks!

Ha ok, so the ones that you want to check where it is really hard to fail to see an improvement should be

Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
Gran Turismo is super impressive if you go into Scapes mode too.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Just an update - glad I got the uber expensive geek squad warranty on my oled (b7), they are replacing the panel on my tv next week, which has the youtube symbol burnt in. Fun fact - the repair people came to the house, they said the fox news symbol is one of the worst culprits for burn in on oleds, glad I never watch it lol.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
God I wish burn in wasn't a thing. Would make make an Oled purchase a no brainer for me.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Just an update - glad I got the uber expensive geek squad warranty on my oled (b7), they are replacing the panel on my tv next week, which has the youtube symbol burnt in. Fun fact - the repair people came to the house, they said the fox news symbol is one of the worst culprits for burn in on oleds, glad I never watch it lol.
Glad that worked out, haha.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I wish burn in wasn't a thing. Would make make an Oled purchase a no brainer for me.

At least with an OLED burn-in is only a remote possibility. On an LCD dirty-screen effect will be there and unavoidable. Arguably worse in my opinion but people seem to accept one and worry incessantly about the other. It is bizarre.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I found a 1400 euro deal on the 55C9. On the one hand, I wanted to have a little more safety money before getting it, but on the other hand if I wait and let this deal pass me by there's a very good chance the next opportunity I have will be at least 200€ more expensive...

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I found a 1400 euro deal on the 55C9. On the one hand, I wanted to have a little more safety money before getting it, but on the other hand if I wait and let this deal pass me by there's a very good chance the next opportunity I have will be at least 200€ more expensive...

Is black Friday and cyber Monday a thing where you are, and will you have safety money by then?

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Is black Friday and cyber Monday a thing where you are, and will you have safety money by then?
Yes and yes, but for various reasons I'm not expecting to see 1400€ C9s on Black Friday.

(context: The deal is an online store based in Belgium, whereas I live in France. Same pricing rules and market forces don't necessarily apply, so sometimes prices in neighboring countries can be lower. There's very little chance even BF discounts in France will be able to match the current price on that Belgian store. The store is reputable, so no risk there.)

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and yes, but for various reasons I'm not expecting to see 1400€ C9s on Black Friday.

(context: The deal is an online store based in Belgium, whereas I live in France. Same pricing rules and market forces don't necessarily apply, so sometimes prices in neighboring countries can be lower. There's very little chance even BF discounts in France will be able to match the current price on that Belgian store. The store is reputable, so no risk there.)

Ah, if you're coming from an existing mid range TV and want to go into the top end world, I'd personally pull the trigger and tighten your belt where you can to get that safety money asap if November would make you safe. My only regret with my C9 is that I wish I had this picture quality sooner.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Ah, if you're coming from an existing mid range TV and want to go into the top end world, I'd personally pull the trigger and tighten your belt where you can to get that safety money asap if November would make you safe. My only regret with my C9 is that I wish I had this picture quality sooner.
I'm coming from a 48" 1080p Samsung H6400. Gonna be a pretty big difference!

E: fuck it, ordered the C9.
E2: oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck I just spent 1k+ on a TV oh god.

Once it gets here I'll probably post an update saying it was worth it ^^

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm coming from a 48" 1080p Samsung H6400. Gonna be a pretty big difference!

E: fuck it, ordered the C9.
E2: oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck I just spent 1k+ on a TV oh god.

Damn 1400 for a C9 is a steal I got a C8 for 1000 just a month ago and it was a discount too!

I was also coming from a 200€tier 1080p TV, once the regret of making such an expensive spent goes... you're going to be blown away with the TV!

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
The thought of paying a similar amount is holding me back but I'm getting closer to acceptance lol.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My Bravia Android TV doesn't have adjustments for backlight. Google says it's the brightness but nope. My screen is still too fucking bright that it hurts my eyes.

Wonderbrah

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

I don't think I've read anyone who experienced burn in on the c8's or 9's. It's usually people with older sets like the c6-c7. If that's down to better burn-in protection methods built into the newer models or they're just not old enough yet, I don't know. I just know that I have had a c8 for almost a year now, and no burn-in.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Do we ever expect to get more than 4 HDMI inputs? I have 5 things plugged in to my TV and splitters are a pain or pricey for anything with HDR.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
At least with an OLED burn-in is only a remote possibility. On an LCD dirty-screen effect will be there and unavoidable. Arguably worse in my opinion but people seem to accept one and worry incessantly about the other. It is bizarre.
I guess I've been lucky with LCD and LEDs. I've had quite a few now over the last what, fifteen years between TVs and monitors and never had an issue with that. Although my Dad's less than a year old Samsung LED has a big splotch on it now so I know it's a thing. Sucks.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I've been lucky with LCD and LEDs. I've had quite a few now over the last what, fifteen years between TVs and monitors and never had an issue with that. Although my Dad's less than a year old Samsung LED has a big splotch on it now so I know it's a thing. Sucks.

The flip side is I've never seen one without some DSE, but then I watch a lot of football which is notoriously bad for showing it. The recent QLED sets were particularly afflicted, by all accounts. Once you see it you can't un-see it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The flip side is I've never seen one without some DSE, but then I watch a lot of football which is notoriously bad for showing it. The recent QLED sets were particularly afflicted, by all accounts. Once you see it you can't un-see it.
Yeah, I asked my dad how he can stand it and he said "I don't see it unless I watch certain sports". Sports (hockey and football) is what he mostly watches on the tv so...

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
No DSE on my Q9R. One of the cleanest LCDs I've ever seen. My old Sony X900A had it pretty bad though.

Don't OLEDs get vertical banding? Or is it not as noticeable as DSE because it's on darker screens?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm back to looking at TVs again, not sure if the jump to OLED is worth the price.