• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
Are soundbars something people should avoid buying? There is a blurb on the sidebar of /r/oled that suggests they aren't worth it over a receiver + speaker combo.
My current aging LCD Samsung is hooked up to a Sony receiver /w a 5.1 speaker setup but the TV & receiver support 1080p only. I was looking for another audio solution for when I purchase a C9.

I'm guessing there won't be a decent selection of HDMI2.1-compatible receivers until next year. I was planning on using eARC with a soundbar but from what I'm reading, that's not always reliable depending on the TV + eARC-compatible device being used.

Going from a 5.1 setup to just TV speakers sounds painful, but I'm not sure if soundbars are the right solution either. Plus some of them are pricey! Can anyone here offer any advice on this? Best Buy Canada offers some discounts on LG sound bars with an LG TV but they don't have great reviews so I feel pretty lost as to what to do.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are soundbars something people should avoid buying? There is a blurb on the sidebar of /r/oled that suggests they aren't worth it over a receiver + speaker combo.
My current aging LCD Samsung is hooked up to a Sony receiver /w a 5.1 speaker setup but the TV & receiver support 1080p only. I was looking for another audio solution for when I purchase a C9.

I'm guessing there won't be a decent selection of HDMI2.1-compatible receivers until next year. I was planning on using eARC with a soundbar but from what I'm reading, that's not always reliable depending on the TV + eARC-compatible device being used.

Going from a 5.1 setup to just TV speakers sounds painful, but I'm not sure if soundbars are the right solution either. Plus some of them are pricey! Can anyone here offer any advice on this? Best Buy Canada offers some discounts on LG sound bars with an LG TV but they don't have great reviews so I feel pretty lost as to what to do.

Soundbars are great if size is a concern. But if you have the space for a surround system, or nice big stereo speakers and a subwoofer, your money will go further with a reciever and speakers.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No DSE on my Q9R. One of the cleanest LCDs I've ever seen. My old Sony X900A had it pretty bad though.

Don't OLEDs get vertical banding? Or is it not as noticeable as DSE because it's on darker screens?

They do but you only tend to notice them on grey test images unless they are really bad. Movies like Arrival are great 'stress tests' for OLEDs. How is the grey uniformity on your Q90?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm back to looking at TVs again, not sure if the jump to OLED is worth the price.

Considering the prices of LED TVs that have actual good HDR (if you're into gaming and 4K HDR movies), the difference between LED and OLED are minimal unless you go for the most new model (which has basically the same panel minus HDMI 2.1). A Sony XF900 for example, that is a recommended entry if you want truly good HDR on a LED TV, cost the same as a OLED C8 model.

Atleast here in Europe, where we don't have these good TCL and Vizio's...

That doesn't mean OLED is the way to go for everyone, there's other aspects like the fear of burn-in (that may be overblown but I know it's hard to shake off, it happened and still sometimes happens to me too), the fragility of the panel...

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
They do but you only tend to notice them on grey test images unless they are really bad. Movies like Arrival are great 'stress tests' for OLEDs. How is the grey uniformity on your Q90?

to my eyes it is perfect. Literally can't see any uniformity issues at all.

But my camera shows some. I can't see them though. Cameras tend to exaggerate issues. Especially with moire patterns that can show colors when there aren't any.

75"Q90R
XP6cHZK.jpg

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
to my eyes it is perfect. Literally can't see any uniformity issues at all.

But my camera shows some. I can't see them though. Cameras tend to exaggerate issues. Especially with moire patterns that can show colors when there aren't any.

75"Q90R
XP6cHZK.jpg

It does look decent for a QLED for sure. I don't really put much stock in test patterns anyway. As long as I don't notice it while watching content then that is fine.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
So my C9 was supposed to be delivered tomorrow..... and I go downstairs today around noon to get the mail... and what the fuck do I see? Looked like a damn Monolith.

This idiot Fedex driver left my TV in front of my neighbors door... he didn't buzz us or anything. He got in the gate, and left it right there apparently. Someone could have hopped our gate and just took it. Or someone in the building could have just took it into their house.

But again, my head hurts trying to comprehend this, he left the TV right side up. A liitle bump would have knocked it over. If my neighbor opened his door, while looking at his phone, and walked a step.... it would have got knocked over.

Also the Fedex guy marked that I authorized the delivery. It also says on the TV Box, that it needs to be inspected upon delivery. This lying idiot.

If he was worried about thinking he might have to take it up some stairs, I would have told him no worries, I would have got it myself.

Anyway, just got off the phone with Fedex Customer support to file a complaint... just in case the TV is fucked up.

Do these delivery people feel empowered to do this because their supervisors/bosses don't care?

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't OLEDs get vertical banding? Or is it not as noticeable as DSE because it's on darker screens?

It depends on the content, and also panel variance comes into play here as well.

I've only really noticed it on some Netflix shows while watching in a completely dark room, and I think I wouldn't have noticed if I never saw it on test patterns and wasn't looking for it.

Last edited:

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Anyone know of a deal for the LG OLED C9 (55")?

My head is telling me to wait until Black Friday, but my heart is looking to buy one now.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my C9 was supposed to be delivered tomorrow..... and I go downstairs today around noon to get the mail... and what the fuck do I see? Looked like a damn Monolith.

This idiot Fedex driver left my TV in front of my neighbors door... he didn't buzz us or anything. He got in the gate, and left it right there apparently. Someone could have hopped our gate and just took it. Or someone in the building could have just took it into their house.

But again, my head hurts trying to comprehend this, he left the TV right side up. A liitle bump would have knocked it over. If my neighbor opened his door, while looking at his phone, and walked a step.... it would have got knocked over.

Also the Fedex guy marked that I authorized the delivery. It also says on the TV Box, that it needs to be inspected upon delivery. This lying idiot.

If he was worried about thinking he might have to take it up some stairs, I would have told him no worries, I would have got it myself.

Anyway, just got off the phone with Fedex Customer support to file a complaint... just in case the TV is fucked up.

Do these delivery people feel empowered to do this because their supervisors/bosses don't care?

You should have said it hadn't been delivered. One TV for the living room and one for the bedroom then.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018

FedEx pay peanuts. Workers just giving them what they pay for

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Man, soo tempted to get the c9 65, but there is nothing wrong with my c8 55, apart from a nearly invisible line of banding.
I'm trying to wait for the c10 in 65 next year, but the c9 65 has really fallen in price. Can be had for around £2k.
I can see the c10 also reaching the price by end of 2020.
I guess there are no news if the c10 will have any groundbreaking features over the c9?

Last edited:

Kaga

Nov 3, 2017
DeKalb, IL

I live in a house built in 1892 and so the rooms are far from huge. I 'downgraded' from a old 5.1 system to a soundbar (with rear speakers and sub) when I upgraded my TV to a C8 and I couldn't be happier with the results. I realize that traditionalists might be aghast, but I'm thrilled with the decision.

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
Soundbars are great if size is a concern. But if you have the space for a surround system, or nice big stereo speakers and a subwoofer, your money will go further with a reciever and speakers.
I live in a house built in 1892 and so the rooms are far from huge. I 'downgraded' from a old 5.1 system to a soundbar (with rear speakers and sub) when I upgraded my TV to a C8 and I couldn't be happier with the results. I realize that traditionalists might be aghast, but I'm thrilled with the decision.

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to think about it a bit more. I have time until Black Friday to decide.

Kaga, what soundbar did you end up with?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Today is exactly one month since I got my C8. I was so annoyed the first week to spent so much money on one thing (""only"" 1k but I'm not used on spending so much) and the fear of burn-in but man nowadays I'm so happy with this TV, it's so good it made me forget of all my worries I had with it.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Today is exactly one month since I got my C8. I was so annoyed the first week to spent so much money on one thing (""only"" 1k but I'm not used on spending so much) and the fear of burn-in but man nowadays I'm so happy with this TV, it's so good it made me forget of all my worries I had with it.

I feel like this is a very common experience with new OLED owners after they've had their set for a few weeks.

Glad you're enjoying your new TV! I have the same one I bought over a year ago and mine is still problem free :)

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Finding it hard to believe that burn-in is nothing to worry about when there are multiple people in this thread alone who have experienced it.

Mastermind

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They've been around for a long time. I've never bought a TV from them but I think some here have.
They're also an authorized dealer.

Thanks for the input, both of you. I've never spent so much money at once but this TV is calling to me. Does anyone think Black Friday will take it potentially lower than this?

EDIT: Deal is dead so I guess my wallet is safe for another day.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Finding it hard to believe that burn-in is nothing to worry about when there are multiple people in this thread alone who have experienced it.
It is something you have to be aware of but realistically the people with issues will be the nosiest. I have a 2017 lg c7, no burn in issues.

If you play the same game for thousands of hours or watch cnn/MSNBC/cnbc for hours every day you should avoid an oled. Oled issues are due to cumulative use so if you have the same static image consistently running you are more likely to have issues.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
So my Nvidia 1080 only does DVI out. I have an HDMI convertor but the colors aren't coming out as nice on my TV. Also I am unable to activate HDR on my TV with the PC. Any advice?

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
im about to come about one month with my c8 and I feel the same

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
My b7a panel is being replaced next week. For what it's worth - the tvs built in youtube app burned in over time, it's nearly impossible to stay on a static screen, it has a fireworks screen saver that comes on after a few minutes if you aren't watching anything, so it wasn't like i left it on a still image for any length of time. But it still burned in over time, cause when they updated the app and moved the youtube symbol its ghost image stayed. If u get one just get the extended warrenty they will replace for burn in, at least best buy does.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

Any reason you don't just plug your devices directly into the TV and use optical or standard ARC to your existing AVR until 2.1 models are available? If you have real full size towers/bookshelves and a powered subwoofer a soundbar would definitely be a big downgrade. However if you've just got an old pre-packaged home theater in a box with some type of small satellite speakers and a passive sub, a soundbar would probably be more of a side grade. Even in that case though, you'd be much better off taking the would-be soundbar money and instead buying a nice full size pair of front mains (either towers or bookshelves) and continuing to use your existing AVR. People who care about quality recommend against soundbars because even a decent budget stereo system (i.e. a pair of Elac Debut 2.0's) is significantly better than most soundbars. Even worse, when you get into the ~$500 and up range on soundbars (which the most recommended ones are), you're in the same price bracket as some really really really nice bookshelves like Revel M16's or Focal Chorus' that will mop the floor with any soundbar and effortlessly fill a room with ridiculously detailed sound.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Literally every post you have made in this thread is you knocking OLED, be it burn-in, stutter, brightness or something else. Who are you trying to convince at this point? Surely you bought the QLED in the end?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So my Nvidia 1080 only does DVI out. I have an HDMI convertor but the colors aren't coming out as nice on my TV. Also I am unable to activate HDR on my TV with the PC. Any advice?

DVI won't cut it, it has to be HDMI or Display Port. If Display Port, you need to buy an active converter to HDMI that supports HDR.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

It's like what holygeesus said, burn in gets slammed, but DSE on an LCD gets an unlimited pass, with the irony being DSE is vastly more noticeable and more offensive, when say a logo in a corner or whatever will only ever show up with certain block colours and basically you'll never even see it! As we look at the center of the viewing area, and not the corners, and it's why Nvidia came up with multi res shading, where the resolution decreases the further away from the center you get, to increase performance because when you watch and play, you are focused on the middle.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Literally every post you have made in this thread is you knocking OLED, be it burn-in, stutter, brightness or something else. Who are you trying to convince at this point? Surely you bought the QLED in the end?
I haven't bought anything. Seeing as you're paying so much attention to my post history, you know I'm waiting until Black Friday.

Why is it a bad thing for me to have concerns about a £1500+ purchase? I'm not "knocking OLED", I'm trying to get a clear sense of the pros and cons which is tricky when you specifically call burn in a remote possibility when there's plenty of people in this very thread who have experienced it.

And that's a significant con to me, because I want to get at least five years out of my new TV. I've had my current set for around eight. I'm just as concerned about reliability in Samsungs given the failure rate of the KS8000s, the difference is there aren't people trying to tell me that those issues don't exist.

There's still a high chance I'm gonna get the C9, it's all going to come down to me having a some hands on time with it vs the Q90, what prices are available and what guarantee I can get on the panels. I get you love your OLED but you acting as if I have a vested interest in "knocking" your favourite screen technology really doesn't help me reach a decision any easier.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, just bored by the same old people bringing up the same old tired tropes. As long as it continues then expect similar responses.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
Mate burn is a remote issue - this forum has the most extreme users and only a tiny proportion of anyone has an issue. But posting random things about "finding it hard to believe" when you have literally no first hand experience hardly contributes anything toward this thread does it?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling pretty torn on what my next TV will be. OLED probably isn't going to be my thing since I use my TV as a monitor and I play games like Final Fantasy XIV which has a HUD up pretty much at all times... and after having bad plasma burn in experience, I can't say I want that to be a thing anymore. But I'm kinda wanting to hop off this Vizio P50-C1 to something better. I wonder if Quantum X would be the best option?

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Is 05.10.03 definitely safe on the C8? Been clicking No on that update for ages now in case there were any unexpected side effects introduced

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I'm feeling pretty torn on what my next TV will be. OLED probably isn't going to be my thing since I use my TV as a monitor and I play games like Final Fantasy XIV which has a HUD up pretty much at all times... and after having bad plasma burn in experience, I can't say I want that to be a thing anymore. But I'm kinda wanting to hop off this Vizio P50-C1 to something better. I wonder if Quantum X would be the best option?
Isn't Samsung QLED the best non OLED option? Iirc those Vizios have some bad local dimming.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Don't know what your financial situation is but I'd say buy the cheapest OLED you can find and then run it into the ground with little regard to burn-in. I can't imagine paying close to MSRP and then getting burn-in, that would piss me off, but if you can snag a 55" C9 for $1200 then why not roll the dice? I even saw the 65 inch going for $1700. Of corse the B8 and C8 models you can get for even cheaper. I'm fairly certain with the video games I play, especially with HDR games where the OLED light is maxed out, that I'm bound to have problems at some point, and when I do I'll just buy the best LCD I can that's available that's caught up in technology with Hdmi 2.1 and better black levels.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I want to replace my 9/10 year old 40" LCD TV which I have used as my PC monitor.

What is the 40-43" LCD TV or monitor I can buy right now? Low input lag (sub 30ms), good colours and blacks are important to me. 4K and HDR are bonuses.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
So I've heard very little of Beach Camera. Has anyone ever purchased anything from them?

I bought my Sony 950g 65 inch from there. They delivered on time, they used a shipping service that that called me before delivering to set a date. Delivery man told me to hold on to box for three days in case I wanted to return it. They would have and come and picked it up if I changed my mind.

buddy bought a c9 from them but they used fed ex. I think it depends on the size. I'm on Nyc btw. I've bought cameras from them, never had an issue.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like my C9 is toast. Out of nowhere a
black vertical line appeared. Does anyone have any experience with LG warranties?
I want either my money back or an upgrade to an E9. I don't want LG to Frankenstein my current TV with a new panel only.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
Looks like my C9 is toast. Out of nowhere a
black vertical line appeared. Does anyone have any experience with LG warranties?
I want either my money back or an upgrade to an E9. I don't want LG to Frankenstein my current TV with a new panel only.
That's not very reasonable to be honest. Betterment is not usually the point of warranties.