• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is 05.10.03 definitely safe on the C8? Been clicking No on that update for ages now in case there were any unexpected side effects introduced

I think so, its been a while since it came out and no reports of anything big with it.

I think its finally the patch that fixes everything while not breaking anything else lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Rim is my go to HDR demo. Even
LG uses scenes at CES to show off their TVs capabilities.
Haven't seen Pacific Rim in 4K yet but heard it's a top notch transfer in 4K so I've might have check that out soon. Another great movie to showcase 4K HDR is Blade Runner 2049. Apparently the special effects are done in 4K which is very rare.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Is it recommended to get an extended warranty for the C9?

If so, what's the best option out there?

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Is it recommended to get an extended warranty for the C9?

If so, what's the best option out there?
Hell yes! Mine just crapped out but I'm within the manufactures warranty. Best Buy has the most comprehensive warranty, cover burn in but it's also very expensive. LG also offers a very reasonable extended warranty.

R3Z0N

Jun 4, 2018
Guys need a bit of help choosing a new TV.

I was thinking of going for the B9 as its on sale right now for £1300. The C9 too is available but I'm not sure its worth the extra £200. Plus there's been talks of the new TVs being inferior compared to last year's models. Not sure what that's about.

So should I go for the B9 or is the C9 worth the extra money?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
The C9 has a better processor which may matter for future firmware upgrades for features. That's really the biggest difference. We don't know if this matters but it likely will. I would spend the extra for the C9 for this reason but I can't say for certain it will matter. But if it does you will be ready.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Guys need a bit of help choosing a new TV.

I was thinking of going for the B9 as its on sale right now for £1300. The C9 too is available but I'm not sure its worth the extra £200. Plus there's been talks of the new TVs being inferior compared to last year's models. Not sure what that's about.

So should I go for the B9 or is the C9 worth the extra money?

The C9 is going to be updated for G-Sync, so there are already features falling off on the B9

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I do not. Purely want a high quality screen for PC/PS4/Xbox.

I do find the picture quality of TVs tends to be superior to most monitors though.

TVs tend to chase image quality over response rate, so there are often differences in processing.

You could try the 43inch Phillips Momentum

Rtings praise it for having really good blacks - it's VA panel, something that you don't typically get in PC monitors and sometimes smaller Tvs
it's 4k and Quantum dot, it does support HDR, but it's apparently not exactly the best for that, but better to have some support than none at all.
Built in ambilight and of course, being a PC monitor: Displayport 1.4.
Video over usb-c

Or you've got the £600 40inch Panasonic GX800, which super unusual for a 40inch screen, has a VA panel also.
If you want to watch movies, it also has dolby vision, which is a boon for mid-capability panels. It has slightly beefier internal speakers than the Phillips.

Then you have things like the Sony XG80 which use IPS panels, which aren't as black

Last edited:

Isambard

Nov 14, 2017
I've owned an LG C7 OLED for two years by this point, have used it extensively for games, and have yet to experience any issues with image retention in SDR. The only thing I haven't done is play very many games in HDR. I've played Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2, and A Plague Tale, but I've only felt comfortable with those because they had minimal HUD elements. I've kept away from other titles I'm interested in, such as Horizon Zero Dawn or Sekiro, out of a fear that HDR carries an increased risk of image retention or burn in.

Are they any special precautions I should take when playing games in HDR as opposed to SDR, or am I just being needlessly cautious?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've owned an LG C7 OLED for two years by this point, have used it extensively for games, and have yet to experience any issues with image retention in SDR. The only thing I haven't done is play very many games in HDR. I've played Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2, and A Plague Tale, but I've only felt comfortable with those because they had minimal HUD elements. I've kept away from other titles I'm interested in, such as Horizon Zero Dawn or Sekiro, out of a fear that HDR carries an increased risk of image retention or burn in.

Are they any special precautions I should take when playing games in HDR as opposed to SDR, or am I just being needlessly cautious?

Id' imagine unless you are running the C7 on the strictest of SDR calibrated settings, the chances are you actually have it set up so the HUD elements in many games are actually brighter than they would be in HDR, beyond a few exceptions.
The C7 is actually a little dimmer in HDR than it should be, so again, the risk is relatively low.

water_tempo

Oct 31, 2017
I can't figure out this issue with my firetv 4k box and my LG c8.

I've enabled the deep color gamut feature for HDMI 2 (my fire TV), but hdr never detects. Doesn't matter which app or video file. Hdr does kick on if I use the system apps to play hdr content (even the same local video files).

I feel like I've looked at every setting. So I'm going a little nuts. Is there anything I'm probably overlooking?

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't figure out this issue with my firetv 4k box and my LG c8.

I've enabled the deep color gamut feature for HDMI 2 (my fire TV), but hdr never detects. Doesn't matter which app or video file. Hdr does kick on if I use the system apps to play hdr content (even the same local video files).

I feel like I've looked at every setting. So I'm going a little nuts. Is there anything I'm probably overlooking?

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Like, if you have a console that works with HDR, try that cable. Seems to be a usual culprit.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
HDR in Borderlands 3 is pretty good and I like that it has its own brightness slider for the HUD/Interface. I don't particular fear burn-in, I just often find prominent HUD elements quite eye straining in HDR.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Is this really that much of a thing to be worried about? I would have imagined that's if you left it on a static screen for hours every day or something. Yeesh.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Hahahaha, oh my. You guys weren't kidding about Quantum TV. That dude is a joke indeed.

The other day I saw a video of him where he pretty much claims that HDR is a lie. He goes on to show Battlefront 2 in HDR and then SDR without showing the viewer what settings he's using on his TV for both HDR and SDR. Neither does he say a thing about Battlefront's own HDR slider.

He shows that SDR is much more vibrant and better looking and then states HDR is BS, that it really doesn't add anything, it's all marketing for both movies and games. While sure, in some games it's absolute trash (that's on the dev) plenty games offer a hugely enhanced experience with HDR. But boy are TV and game settings important.

Oh the video is actually called The dark and twisted truth about HDR. You cannot make this shit up.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
How rtings are measuring HDR brightness for TVs? They say peak HDR brightness is less than 1000 nits, but Samsung says otherwise. Maybe it's 1000+ nits with contrast enhancer on?

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
How rtings are measuring HDR brightness for TVs? They say peak HDR brightness is less than 1000 nits, but Samsung says otherwise. Maybe it's 1000+ nits with contrast enhancer on?
Real question should be how is samsung measuring it. Rtings details how they measure the peak brightness, Samsung on the other hand does not.

Some manufacturers go with a mode that will allow them to measure highest peak brightness, even if it is un realistic. Ex. vivid mode, contrast maxed, etc, on a 2% slide. That is the number they then publish because technically it isn't a lie...Take anything a manufacture tells you with a grain of salt. Especially Samsung.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Any word on what tech improvements will we see come January? I presume 2.1 will become standard across all high end sets, at least for 2 of the ports.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Real question should be how is samsung measuring it. Rtings details how they measure the peak brightness, Samsung on the other hand does not.

Some manufacturers go with a mode that will allow them to measure highest peak brightness, even if it is un realistic. Ex. vivid mode, contrast maxed, etc, on a 2% slide. That is the number they then publish because technically it isn't a lie...Take anything a manufacture tells you with a grain of salt. Especially Samsung.

It's almost a useless figure in all honesty, bit like contrast ratio back in the day, when all kinds of bullshit methodology was used to come up with unrealistic numbers, and Pioneer stopped giving figures because they went about it honestly, and it looked poor vs the competition.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It's almost a useless figure in all honesty, bit like contrast ratio back in the day, when all kinds of bullshit methodology was used to come up with unrealistic numbers, and Pioneer stopped giving figures because they went about it honestly, and it looked poor vs the competition.
Yep most numbers are ridiculous. It's all marketing nothing more. Same with all the terms for motion. I talked to someone not long ago who legit swore his display was 240 hz and he was playing games at 240hz. I didn't even have to say anything because when he told me that my face fell apart and he was like oh...that's bullshit huh. Same with Audio ratings as well for per channel output.

I wish manufactures gave actual valuable information like ANSI contrast for displays though not that it matter much with OLED now.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been looking into Samsung's QLED line of TVs. I've been hearing reports of how the TVs auto-dimming thing can't be turned off and it's always a problem when watching movies with subtitles, since the screen will keep alternating between brightening and darkening. Is this really an issue without a solution?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
So I've been looking into Samsung's QLED line of TVs. I've been hearing reports of how the TVs auto-dimming thing can't be turned off and it's always a problem when watching movies with subtitles, since the screen will keep alternating between brightening and darkening. Is this really an issue without a solution?

I have a Samsung Q90R. I don't really consider it an issue. I mean, you already have words strewn across the screen, which is a bigger disturbance than a subtle brightening of the picture in a small area.

If you turn off localized dimming on any backlit LCD TV, the picture is going to suffer WAY more than the slight brightening that you might see from subtitles.

Localized dimming is what makes these TVs actually usable. If you turn it off, all of the blacks will just be gray.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Samsung Q90R. I don't really consider it an issue. I mean, you already have words strewn across the screen, which is a bigger disturbance than a subtle brightening of the picture in a small area.

If you turn off localized dimming on any backlit LCD TV, the picture is going to suffer WAY more than the slight brightening that you might see from subtitles.

Localized dimming is what makes these TVs actually usable. If you turn it off, all of the blacks will just be gray.
Well I watch movies subtitled so it'd be a distracting issue for me. :P

I've found a good deal on a secondhand Q80R but I dunno if buying these things used is a good idea. Apparently it was used as an exhibition TV or whatever.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on what tech improvements will we see come January? I presume 2.1 will become standard across all high end sets, at least for 2 of the ports.

- 8K sets will come down in price and make their way into the high end of some manufacturers' main product lines rather than being a separate category.
- Mini--LED LCD sets with larger zone counts. Midrange sets start getting hundreds of zones.
- More companies showing dual layer LCDs.
- LG will include the improved BFI system they pulled from the 9-series at the last minute.
- We'll see more MicroLED prototypes that are still far from being consumer-ready.
- More meaningless "AI" branded features on sets.

These are all just my own speculation, not news.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ah yes, contrast ratio on old LCD sets. Apparently my 32" 2006 Samsung LCD was 40000:1. In all likely hood, it was actually under 1000:1

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Don't do this, HDR is a gamechanger on OLEDs . I don't think HDR is necessary more harsh on burn in, especially if you play SDR with high OLED light where it's not dynamic brightness like in HDR.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
My C9 is being delivered soon! There's no way I have money to have it professionally calibrated, but if any C9 owners here have any tips on image settings, I'd be grateful.

I know that the best SDR profile seems to be ISF Expert and the best HDR profile is either Cinema or Cinema Home, but what should I tweak further? I'll mostly be watching stuff through Plex, Netflix and Amazon.

I'll be plugging in my PS4 Pro, so that input will be in Game Mode, but what settings should I use to ensure the best possible IQ?

I'll also be plugging in a 4K BR player (most likely a Sony X700), so I'll need to find the correct settings for that input as well.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated :)

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What kind of HDMI cable should I be using for 4k/HDR? I know most will work but I'm always afraid of buying a rando cable from Amazon

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of HDMI cable should I be using for 4k/HDR? I know most will work but I'm always afraid of buying a rando cable from Amazon

I run my entire home theater setup with these hdmi cables with no issues.

Or can order direct:

Amazon is a little more expensive but easier to return and exchange if need be.