• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone here have a PS4 pro version of destiny 2 paired with a C8? Is it supposed to be that god awfully black? I can barely see any detail

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
It is such a strange thing to me, but yep a lot of people just normally do this. Unplug their TVs every time they stop using it.
Yeah most people are annoyed of power consumption in standby or the standby LED is annoying them. They still think these things take a lot of power while in standby. I never understood it. These are not Plasma or CRTs anymore.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Reposting for new page :)

My C9 is being delivered soon! There's no way I have money to have it professionally calibrated, but if any C9 owners here have any tips on image settings, I'd be grateful.

I know that the best SDR profile seems to be ISF Expert and the best HDR profile is either Cinema or Cinema Home, but what should I tweak further? I'll mostly be watching stuff through Plex, Netflix and Amazon.

I'll be plugging in my PS4 Pro, so that input will be in Game Mode, but what settings should I use to ensure the best possible IQ?

I'll also be plugging in a 4K BR player (most likely a Sony X700), so I'll need to find the correct settings for that input as well.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated :)

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I haven't followed the thread for some months.

I think I'm going to be pulling the trigger on an LG 77C9 OLED soon. Any reason I should wait for next year?

Anyone have any experience wall mounting these?

Suggestions for a soundbar?

Yeah I'll be reviewing the thread, just wanted to throw that out there.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
So I need some advice on a TV. Looking at a couple of options, and I'm stuck on which one I should pick up.

First-my setup: I sit about 8' away from the TV. The opposite wall has a sectional. There is a window directly across from the TV facing west, and I get a ton of light in the late afternoon/evening. I do have blackout blinds, which mitigates the reflections, but I feel like a brighter screen would help, especially for daytime viewing with the blinds open. It's the lower room of a split-level, so it gets pretty dark with the blinds closed, which is how I watch movies most of the time.

I currently have a 55" LG C5 OLED, which I've loved (outside of some customer service issues), but is pretty small in the space, and is pretty much impossible to watch during the day with the blinds open. I mostly watch movies and sports, and do some gaming, but that's definitely the secondary concern. My wife suggested going larger (!) and then said we should look at the 75" (!!) when we were looking at sizes a few months back. But now I'm torn between screen size or screen quality.

I currently have a 75" X950 purchased and on it's way from Best Buy. But I can get a 75" Samsung Q90R through their EPP discount, which makes it about $1k more than the 950. But I'm having a hard time justifying the price difference, especially if I'm going to be making compromises compared to OLED. My other option is to go with a 65" OLED, of which I'm considering the Sony A8G, which would be the same price as what I paid for the 950. But obviously, I'd be compromising with size.

So, considering all that, which would you buy:

75" Samsung Q90R ($3500)
75" Sony X950 ($2800)
65" Sony A8G ($2500)

Thanks in advance!

So, I wanted to follow up on this from last month. I had the 950G for a little over a month, and the picture was fine after some tweaking. Sports looked great (especially with the PS Vue Multi-View feature), and games looked great. I was content to keep the TV, even if it felt a little big for the space.

Then my wife and I sat down to watch Spiderman FFH. And woof the black levels and blooming were bad. It was so distracting, I spent more time staring at the letterboxing than the movie. I just couldn't deal with those contrast levels. I had heard that wide angle filter they put on the screen messed with the contrast levels, but it wasn't noticeable until I tried to watch a movie, and then it was just too much. I thought about getting the Samsung, but I didn't want to go through that same thing, even if the performance would be better. So last night, I returned it and brought home a 65" C9. Still need to get the calibration done, but I popped in FFH and Spiderverse, and it looks tons better. I'll miss the larger size, but hopefully the 77" drops to a more reasonable price in a few years, and I can justify the upgrade.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Destiny 2 has some gray loading screen and it made me realize one side of my C8 is sliiiiiightly darker on grey than the other side. Weird.
Is that the uniformity thing people test with their panels?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Ps5 not launching until holiday 2020 means those buying a TV for next gen can either get a 2020 set with hdmi 2.1 when it gets it's heavy discounts around November or wait a short time until 2021 and see what's announced. If the new announced TVs aren't a big enough improvement over 2020 then you just get one of those on its big Feb/march sale.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I've owned an LG C7 OLED for two years by this point, have used it extensively for games, and have yet to experience any issues with image retention in SDR. The only thing I haven't done is play very many games in HDR. I've played Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2, and A Plague Tale, but I've only felt comfortable with those because they had minimal HUD elements. I've kept away from other titles I'm interested in, such as Horizon Zero Dawn or Sekiro, out of a fear that HDR carries an increased risk of image retention or burn in.

Are they any special precautions I should take when playing games in HDR as opposed to SDR, or am I just being needlessly cautious?
I've suffered burn in from Rocket League (the gas meter and the "ball cam" indicator, which I didn't realize could be switched off) purely from playing it in HDR. I probably played the game on average 6 hours a week.

No other games that have static huds have caused burn-in, but no other games that I play are HDR. Once I exchange the TV (bought an extended warranty), I'm going to be suuuuper careful not to play any games in HDR that have static HUDs.

Mastermind

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So is $2000 reasonable for a 65 inch C9 or are we expecting a drastic enough drop closer to Black Friday. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this TV.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Considering the OLED C9 also, but I'm worried about burn-in. Or I should say, I really dont want to have to worry about burn-in. I'm guessing this isnt one of those overblown issues? This is still an active issue with OLEDs like the C9?

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 has some gray loading screen and it made me realize one side of my C8 is sliiiiiightly darker on grey than the other side. Weird.
Is that the uniformity thing people test with their panels?

Do you sit bang square in front of the TV? Watching at an angle can make OLEDs look non-uniform.

Considering the OLED C9 also, but I'm worried about burn-in. Or I should say, I really dont want to have to worry about burn-in. I'm guessing this isnt one of those overblown issues? This is still an active issue with OLEDs like the C9?

If you are going to worry about burn-in, buy an LCD where you can worry about the issues they have instead.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Do you play the same 1-2 games for life or do you just play video games?

Burn-in is only an issue if you're one of those dudes that only plays Destiny or Rainbow Six or whatever. I have so many hours in AC Odyssey at max OLED light and not a damn thing. I play and watch a lot of different shit so it never even crossed my mind. Meanwhile the DSE and blooming on the LED in my room is noticeable a lot of the time.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I use my TV as a HTPC monitor. I assume burn-in on OLED would be much more a genuine concern with using browsers/Outlook/Excel all day? I work from home.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Guys there are burn-in resources in the OP.

It's crazy, I gave up on the thread out of burn-in fatigue months ago. I'm back because I'm TV shopping and literally nothing has changed.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
So is $2000 reasonable for a 65 inch C9 or are we expecting a drastic enough drop closer to Black Friday. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this TV.

65" C9 has hit $1699 a couple times already from authorized resellers with free shipping (and no tax for some).

At this point, $1499 by the Superbowl in January seems very likely.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Do you sit bang square in front of the TV? Watching at an angle can make OLEDs look non-uniform.

No is not that I think, I did that gray 5% test for curiosity and indeed one side is a lil darker, is pretty uniform it just changes at half the screen, but honestly I haven't noticed in anything other than that grey loading screen (watched World War Z at TV which can be kinda dark and grey and nothing).

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I use my TV as a HTPC monitor. I assume burn-in on OLED would be much more a genuine concern with using browsers/Outlook/Excel all day? I work from home.
Ive played console and pc on my oled and never had any permanent burn in...but the youtube app burned in over time unfortunatly. Bright saturated static images are the culprit I dont know why lg dosent just change the app its soo dumb

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I did but infrequently as I never observed much in the way of image retention and I'd played tons and tons of videogames without any problem. I only saw the burn in after they updated the app and moved the youtube symbol to the other side, the old youtube ghost symbol on the left. It was too late then, the best buy people worked on it to no avail. My panel is being replaced friday thankfully.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I have a Sony XBR 900E and sometimes games at 30 fps feel stuttery but this doesn't happen all the time.

I'm really sensitive to this kind of things so I notice this right away.

For example I was playing Spiderman and moving the camera wasn't smooth. But 2 days ago I played and everything was smooth like it should be.

Any ideas?

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Anyone got an experience with the Samsung Q950R 8k tv?
I can buy the 75 inch tv for 4K with a Samsung discount I didn't even know I had:)

i was waiting for the the c10 to upgrade from my c8 to, but at that price, the Samsung is quite tempting. I know if I wait until the c10 comes out, the Samsung will cost similar even without the discount by then.

apart from not being oled and not supporting Dolby vision, it seems to tick all boxes I was looking for.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Anyone got an experience with the Samsung Q950R 8k tv?
I can buy the 75 inch tv for 4K with a Samsung discount I didn't even know I had:)

i was waiting for the the c10 to upgrade from my c8 to, but at that price, the Samsung is quite tempting. I know if I wait until the c10 comes out, the Samsung will cost similar even without the discount by then.

apart from not being oled and not supporting Dolby vision, it seems to tick all boxes I was looking for.
The 4K Q90R was actually reviewed better than the 8k Q950R. The Q90R has better contrast. And there really isn't any 8k content for this TV.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The 4K Q90R was actually reviewed better than the 8k Q950R. The Q90R has better contrast. And there really isn't any 8k content for this TV.
Yeah I saw that. The 8k has real 2.1hdmi (even though it's only 1 out of 4), 8k (more future proof) and the picture quality is nearly identical to the the 90r.
if it had Dolby vision, I would have bought it already, but the lack of, keeps me debating even for the great price of 4K

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Do you play the same 1-2 games for life or do you just play video games?

Burn-in is only an issue if you're one of those dudes that only plays Destiny or Rainbow Six or whatever. I have so many hours in AC Odyssey at max OLED light and not a damn thing. I play and watch a lot of different shit so it never even crossed my mind. Meanwhile the DSE and blooming on the LED in my room is noticeable a lot of the time.
I play lots of stuff. but I also watch a lot of movies, sometimes for the entire day and I worry about the black bars, at the top and bottom of my screen. But thanks for the info. I really do like how the OLEDs look over the LEDs

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I play lots of stuff. but I also watch a lot of movies, sometimes for the entire day and I worry about the black bars, at the top and bottom of my screen. But thanks for the info. I really do like how the OLEDs look over the LEDs

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but black bars shouldn't cause permanent burn-in because those pixels are basically switched off (could cause image retention due to the difference of brightness but that always goes away).

What it can cause it's a slower pixel aging compared to the rest of the panel (thus having a difference of coloring or brightness) but we are talking about years and years and years to be noticeable I think.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but black bars shouldn't cause permanent burn-in because those pixels are basically switched off (could cause image retention due to the difference of brightness but that always goes away).

What it can cause it's a slower pixel aging compared to the rest of the panel (thus having a difference of coloring or brightness) but we are talking about years and years and years to be noticeable I think.
I actually just started googling this after my post and someone said something similar. That's good to know.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
There's always a risk I guess, but I've been using a B7 as my PC monitor for 2 years now and it's fine. I probably use my PC on it for a few hours each day, sometimes for like 8 hours at a time. I do music production on it in Ableton, I browse on it, youtube, all kinds of games, word processing, etc.

Just make sure you auto hide task bar and set a 5 min screen saver for in case you walk away or get distracted.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
My C9 got here today. It's glorious!

Ran into a couple snags though: the PS4 Pro is telling me it can only do 2K HDR, but I suppose that's an HDMI cable issue, and my PC is only outputting 4K HDR at 30fps (with massive input lag), and I'm assuming that's an HDMI cable issue as well, since 1440p60 HDR works with no trouble?

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ran into a couple snags though: the PS4 Pro is telling me it can only do 2K HDR, but I suppose that's an HDMI cable issue, and my PC is only outputting 4K HDR at 30fps (with massive input lag), and I'm assuming that's an HDMI cable issue as well, since 1440p60 HDR works with no trouble?

Are you running these devices to an amp then to the TV? Or direct to the TV?

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Is anyone else getting raised blacks in HDR games since 7.0 PlayStation update? For example, the perfectly black loading screen in Last of Us Remastered (the one with spores flying around) now flashes slightly, and black loading screen in Days Gone is slightly gray instead of perfect black. It's only noticeable in pitch black, it's very subtle. I did the new HDR calibration, but I don't think that's the cause as the loading screen in TLOU goes to full black and blinks brighter depending on the number of particles. I still have my LG C7.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 through an app with supposed 4k HDR passthrough. Then again even if that's working it might be its own HDMI cable that's the issue. I'll swap some cables around when I have time and see what happens.

Some amps (my old Yamaha included) only support a max of 4K@30. Not saying that is what your issue is, but it confused me for a bit till I checked. Mine doesn't even have HDR passthrough though so it isn't likely your problem.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just got a new update for my C8!

That happened to me with my C8 but I fixed it, i think I had to set up my PS4 to Limited? Something about the C8 and the PS4 handshacking doing weird things.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Going to be buying a new tv soon. The prices of these 2 im looking at are very very similiar.

Samsung Q70 or Vizio Quantum X?