• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely wouldn't buy an open box, and especially not at Best Buy prices. In a best case that is a return that had banding, regionalized color tinting, or some other common minor abnormality the customer was unwilling to live with. As a worst case it's a floor model that has been run 20 hours a day with some level of probable burn in. Whether the prices drop further or not, authorized online retailers already sell brand new 55" and 65" C9's for $1199 and $1699 respectively which I'm guessing are far lower than BB's open box price. There is absolutely zero reason to buy a used and likely defective open box for more.

where are you finding C965" for $1699???
It's $2500 at BB and Amazon

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
So I just got my LG C9 65" and have a few questions.

I'm just updating to the newest firmware, is there anything that needs to be adjusted or turned on/off.

Also I'm going to get this professionally calibrated in the next two weeks but until then is there a basic calibration guide to use?

Oct 29, 2017
[QUOTE="I'm still in love with my 930E from two years ago and I paid $1500 for the 55". It has higher brightness than these sets, possibly even a better picture with higher contrast. But the 950G seems like the true successor to what I purchased, and that's what I'd go with if I were looking to buy an LCD. It easily seems like the best value you can get on a reliable LCD right now.
[/QUOTE]
I'm still in love with my 930e as well. The edge lit LED's at the top and bottom really make HDR content look incredible. I'm sticking with LCD with my next tv (next year) just waiting on HDMI 2.1 for my PS5.

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
Hi Guys, I'm torn between Samsung Q60R and Sony X900F. Both of these TV's are around the same price where I live. I know that X900F picture looks way much better than Q60R but it doesn't have freesync and it's still HDMI 2.0. I mainly game on PC and Switch, will I be missing out on those freesync and HDMI 2.1 if go with Sony?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
So I just got my LG C9 65" and have a few questions.

I'm just updating to the newest firmware, is there anything that needs to be adjusted or turned on/off.

Also I'm going to get this professionally calibrated in the next two weeks but until then is there a basic calibration guide to use?
Well I always turn off the AI stuff, regarding basic calibration I would say you can use rtings settings.
The professional calibration is done through the CalMan software.

Try to tone down the sharpness as well, the higher the sharpness, the higher it gets Anti Aliased in this case.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So apart from the famous LG set, there is no other HDMI 2.1 TV released this year? I saw a 8K TV set from Samsung in a store, what is it? Which model?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Ignorant question: How does Samsung get away with Freesync/VRR on their sets that don't have 2.1? Like is it at all possible this could be added to 2018 LG OLEDs?

Not if they would actually do it, but could it be done hypothetically.

AMD has a proprietary Freesync over HDMI implementation and Samsung decided to support that on their TVs when HDMI 2.1 VRR was not even a thing. It's also why Nvidia does not support it, because they would have to develop their own version of what is ultimately a fairly niche feature compared to HDMI 2.1 VRR.

Barring any technical issues (too slow processor etc) they could implement HDMI 2.1 VRR over HDMI 2.0 on their TVs but Samsung being Samsung, they are not going to do it but want you to buy a 2020 TV instead. Their system is actually set up to allow just swapping the One Connect box for one that could support HDMI 2.1 etc but they have just decided to not release any upgrade kits at all.

I feel like support for future proofing by swapping the processing part would be a great selling point as the display panels themselves are usually more than good enough at the time of purchase. Apart from not having perfect HDR I'm still happy with how my 2016 KS8000 looks. But nope, all manufacturers would rather just sell you a whole new TV rather than have you buy an upgrade part that they could easily price at a high margin.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Couple of days of LG C9 use
-HDR is so much brighter than B7A! B7A is dim in comparison.
-fantastic picture
-Instant game response seems broken at least on PC. Messes everything up so I left it disabled. I guess it's meant for the consoles?
-For the life of me I can't figure out how to get 1440p 120hz through my reciever. :(( I created a custom resolution and that seemed to work, but idk why it's not showing up natively on Windows or NVCP.

Need to try VRR on Xbox One X. What game should I try it out on?
Not sure what game would be a good candidate, but I'll be curious what you have to say about it. Crossing fingers for a solid Black Friday deal on the set myself.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I finally broke down and ordered the TCL 6 series (2018) edition. I had a 4k tv but it had no real HDR. So i'm excited but I'm tempering my excitement some just in case I lose the panel lottery.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
-Instant game response seems broken at least on PC. Messes everything up so I left it disabled. I guess it's meant for the consoles?
-For the life of me I can't figure out how to get 1440p 120hz through my reciever. :(( I created a custom resolution and that seemed to work, but idk why it's not showing up natively on Windows or NVCP.

Instant game response is meant for any device which supports it. On my PC i cant even disable it, my C9 just loses the signal then, pretty strange.
For using VRR the HDMI cable has to go from your GPU (rtx 20xx/gtx 16xx cards only!) directly to the TV, because there is no AVR out yet which supports VRR.

Oct 28, 2017
[QUOTE="I'm still in love with my 930E from two years ago and I paid $1500 for the 55". It has higher brightness than these sets, possibly even a better picture with higher contrast. But the 950G seems like the true successor to what I purchased, and that's what I'd go with if I were looking to buy an LCD. It easily seems like the best value you can get on a reliable LCD right now.
I'm still in love with my 930e as well. The edge lit LED's at the top and bottom really make HDR content look incredible. I'm sticking with LCD with my next tv (next year) just waiting on HDMI 2.1 for my PS5.
[/QUOTE]
The 930e is amazing. The latest LEDs aren't better

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Having more strange issues with the C9.
For some reason if i plug in my Blu Ray player the icon switches to blu ray player and you can't edit it out unless i unplug it. So i'm just leaving it unplugged.
On Xbox one 1440p/120 hz and Variable refresh rate is blurred out and won't let me enable it. What fucking gives? I thought this was advertised to support it on Xbox One?
Auto low latency mode also doesn't show up despite me enabling it in the settings.... i like this TV and i don't want to return it, but man shit on the B7A just worked and when you pay good money for a TV i expect shit to work.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Just chiming in to show more love for the 930e. It still amazes me everyday with its image quality on all different kinds of content. I plan on keeping this set for a good while.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I plugged the HDMI directly into the Xbox instead of the AVR and I was able to get 1440p 120hz. Is there any way for me to be able to use my AVR while the HDMI is connected to my PC/Xbox? Do I need to plug an optical cable in the reciever to the PC/Xbox or the the TV from the reciever? Sorry never used optical before. Would be a real bummer having to give up my AVR to be able to use my TV.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I plugged the HDMI directly into the Xbox instead of the AVR and I was able to get 1440p 120hz. Is there any way for me to be able to use my AVR while the HDMI is connected to my PC/Xbox? Do I need to plug an optical cable in the reciever to the PC/Xbox or the the TV from the reciever? Sorry never used optical before. Would be a real bummer having to give up my AVR to be able to use my TV.

The AVR just needs the bandwidth and VRR support since it's in the middle, so when you upgrade your TV to use these new features, you have to upgrade the AVR too if you're daisy chaining.

Does your AVR support ARC? You can use optical if not, but ARC is preferable. Then you use an HDMI from the console to the TV and using the ARC HDMI port, from the TV to the receiver. Any other consoles you use that don't need advanced features like the Switch, you can then just plug them direct to the AVR.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The AVR just needs the bandwidth and VRR support since it's in the middle, so when you upgrade your TV to use these new features, you have to upgrade the AVR too if you're daisy chaining.

Does your AVR support ARC? You can use optical if not, but ARC is preferable. Then you use an HDMI from the console to the TV and using the ARC HDMI port, from the TV to the receiver. Any other consoles you use that don't need advanced features like the Switch, you can then just plug them direct to the AVR.
It does! I have an Onkyo TX NR575 and i tried that and it was working for a couple of minutes and when i was playing with the resolutions the screen went haywire buggy when i had Ultra HD Deep color on. I was usingan Xbox One X high speed cable for hdmi 1 and an 8k 48bps cable for hdmi 2 arc. ughh i think im going to give up on this before i lose my mind. Is there any word on how the new AVRs support VRR and high refresh rates? In the meantime i can deal with 1080p 120 hz and 4k 60 hz. :/

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It does! I have an Onkyo TX NR575 and i tried that and it was working for a couple of minutes and when i was playing with the resolutions the screen went haywire buggy when i had Ultra HD Deep color on. I was usingan Xbox One X high speed cable for hdmi 1 and an 8k 48bps cable for hdmi 2 arc. ughh i think im going to give up on this before i lose my mind. Is there any word on how the new AVRs support VRR and high refresh rates? In the meantime i can deal with 1080p 120 hz and 4k 60 hz. :/

I'm waiting on HDMI 2.1 AVR's before buying one. They're not really out there yet.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Ok weird enough I set my desktop resolution to 4k/60 and while playing Modern Warfare I changed it to 1440p/120hz and it worked! That's crazy because I tried that on Spyro and it didn't work. Really strange. Going to try it with Gears.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
The 930e is amazing. The latest LEDs aren't better
Yep, the 2016 Sony Z9D is still my favorite television. There hasn't been a better LCD since then.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Welp well it looks I've come to the conclusion that 1440p /120 hz does work, but some games I have to enable my custom resolution (Gears, Spyro and Yooka Laylee) While others I just need to change the in game resolution.(COD Modern Warfare)
I just don't understand why there is not a native setting in Windows.

I'm just happy I can start enjoying this TV Instead of fucking with the HDMI ports all day.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Well I always turn off the AI stuff, regarding basic calibration I would say you can use rtings settings.
The professional calibration is done through the CalMan software.

Try to tone down the sharpness as well, the higher the sharpness, the higher it gets Anti Aliased in this case.
Ok thank you. Tone down the sharpness for hdr modes they are all at 10, so should I drop it to 0? Also for color gamut, do you guys leave it on auto or wide/extended. I specifically want to know for hdr movies and games.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to be contrary - really don't use RTings settings. Or if you do, only use the basic ones - you don't want to be playing with white balance settings as they are unique to each television, and modifying them incorrectly will ruin the image.

Also sharpness at 10 is fine. LG for whatever reason, class 10 as what would be 0 on any other TV. There is no ringing with sharpness set to 10.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Update on my OLED with screen burn.

Sent it to store of purchase and they repaired for free. Sent me the wrong TV back, put it in another woman's house and she tried to steal it. Absolute nightmare but she's home with no more burn, repaired for free! They were very sorry, sacked the drivers (who were at fault) and have offered me compensation so just waiting for that to come through.

Very stressful but they were great.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Update on my OLED with screen burn.

Sent it to store of purchase and they repaired for free. Sent me the wrong TV back, put it in another woman's house and she tried to steal it. Absolute nightmare but she's home with no more burn, repaired for free! They were very sorry, sacked the drivers (who were at fault) and have offered me compensation so just waiting for that to come through.

Very stressful but they were great.
Nice bro

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Help….... a Bey Blade killed my TV. i.e. it is cracked and wont turn on. It was the last Samsung Plasma (64 inch), bought 5+ years ago. I have done ZERO research because I was not expecting to replace it so soon.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Help….... a Bey Blade killed my TV. i.e. it is cracked and wont turn on. It was the last Samsung Plasma (64 inch), bought 5+ years ago. I have done ZERO research because I was not expecting to replace it so soon.

Coming from a plasma, probably is one of the OLED trio best for you.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think I've read anyone who experienced burn in on the c8's or 9's. It's usually people with older sets like the c6-c7. If that's down to better burn-in protection methods built into the newer models or they're just not old enough yet, I don't know. I just know that I have had a c8 for almost a year now, and no burn-in.
OLED sounds great, but from everything i've read the way burn in works is different from plasma. In that it's going to burn in with the same elements on the screen eventually no matter what you do or watch in-between. A thousand hours is a lot so it's not going to happen with a game, but I use my TV as a desktop monitor. I don't have an issue with this with my plasma as I switch stuff up often enough, but I'm concerned with doing the same with OLED.

That's what's making me leaning towards not getting an OLED next year when I get a new TV. So I was wondering like, how worse are LEDs these days? I know the black levels won't be as good, but other than that are there LED tvs that are almost as good?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be contrary - really don't use RTings settings. Or if you do, only use the basic ones - you don't want to be playing with white balance settings as they are unique to each television, and modifying them incorrectly will ruin the image.

Also sharpness at 10 is fine. LG for whatever reason, class 10 as what would be 0 on any other TV. There is no ringing with sharpness set to 10.

I used to have sharpness at 10 for the longest time and then someone said it should be set to 0 so I changed it to that. Is there anything I could use to test that setting?

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to have sharpness at 10 for the longest time and then someone said it should be set to 0 so I changed it to that. Is there anything I could use to test that setting?

I believe there is a test for sharpness on the free AVS Forum calibration pattern disc/file

I wouldn't use YouTube for any calibration patterns as you don't know whether they introduce artificial artefacts when uploading, so you can only really do it with a calibration pattern. You basically are presented with a pattern with multiple white lines on it (or black depending on the pattern) and you turn sharpness all the way down then gradually increase it till you start to see ringing around the straight lines. You are definitely losing details with an LG set to 0 unless of course this is something LG have changed with recent generations.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
OLED sounds great, but from everything i've read the way burn in works is different from plasma. In that it's going to burn in with the same elements on the screen eventually no matter what you do or watch in-between. A thousand hours is a lot so it's not going to happen with a game, but I use my TV as a desktop monitor. I don't have an issue with this with my plasma as I switch stuff up often enough, but I'm concerned with doing the same with OLED.
By most accounts, current OLED TVs are more resistant to burn in than plasma—though this will depend on how it's used. There are certain features that can reduce or delay the occurrence of burn in on OLED TVs that plasma didn't have. Using OLED as a PC monitor ups the risk only if you're using it to do regular PC tasks. If you're just using it for gaming and media viewing, then it's not an issue. If you didn't have burn in on a plasma under these circumstances, then you'll probably be fine on OLED too. Also keep in mind that it isn't a thousand hours per se, but that thousand (or usually several thousand) hours refers to cumulative hours of the same static content displayed over time.

For the 2018 and 2019 LG OLEDs, the Sharpness setting behaves differently depending on the context. At a value of 0, it's completely disabled in every instance and is generally the correct setting. A value between 1-10 will actually not add any sharpening, but instead apply a form of antialiasing to anything below the TV's native 4K resolution; if you send the TV a 4K signal, then Sharpness will still be disabled at 10 or less. The anti aliasing can remove certain artifacts caused by the TV's scaling, but it can also cause other artifacts and make the picture a bit softer in certain instances. A value of 11 or higher isn't recommended as turns it into a traditional sharpness control and adds ringing to the image with any signal.

EDIT: The sharpness pattern in the link holygeesus posted is a good tool to figure out the right setting. Just keep in mind the setting you chose based on that pattern will only be applicable to 1080p or lower resolution content.

Last edited:

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How is it besides gaming? Movies, TV, etc? My wife is not a gamer, and I am still working on my son as being one :P

Also, in general is it better to get a 65 OLED or a 75 LED? If prices are similar.

Movies look incredible (esp. like netflix dolby vision content), TV looks not perfect like sony upscaling-wise, but still pretty damn good.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
How is the LG OLED65C9PUA? Man, I hate feeling rushed on research

the most feature complete TV for gaming at the moment.
How is it besides gaming? Movies, TV, etc? My wife is not a gamer, and I am still working on my son as being one :P

Also, in general is it better to get a 65 OLED or a 75 LED? If prices are similar.

You literally can't do better than OLeD for standard video and Tv content. For HDR content it's a slightly more complex argument, but from the sound of it I don't think that's a concern

from the things that most people have been posting the 65inch OLED will typically be a higher specced/better image quality than a comparable priced 75inch LCD. If it's 65 vs 65 then you'll find a premium LED in the same class.

Last edited: