• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Any chance to have a kick ass LCD for 2020 with all the cool stuff (Hdmi 2.1, HDR, VRR, Dolby Vision etc), ready for PS5?

Oh yeah I'm sure they will be at CES.
Sony will he prepping for PS5, so you'll get all the co-branded VRR , 8K HDR and 120hz stuff .

The chipsets for HDMI 2.1 should be more widely available and mature too.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
the most feature complete TV for gaming at the moment.

You literally can't do better than OLeD for standard video and Tv content. For HDR content it's a slightly more complex argument, but from the sound of it I don't think that's a concern

from the things that most people have been posting the 65inch OLED will typically be a higher specced/better image quality than a comparable priced 75inch LCD. If it's 65 vs 65 then you'll find a premium LED in the same class.

So really this is the best option? Also, is Amazon a good way to get a new TV? At some point I will want it hung, but this immediate hit will push that off.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
So really this is the best option? Also, is Amazon a good way to get a new TV? At some point I will want it hung, but this immediate hit will push that off.
I just ordered the 55" C9 from them and the TV is both incredible and delivery was pretty painless, Prime shipping (they used UPS) and just needed signature.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Choose the "free scheduled delivery" option on Amazon at checkout if prompted. They'll send someone out to come to your home and set the TV up for you and take away any trash you don't want. Main benefit to it would be them making sure there are no defects or problems with the set!

I got an LG B8 OLED last week from Amazon and the thing came cracked. Wish I had chosen the scheduled delivery option but I didn't know all the benefits it came with at the time I ordered.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they actually deliver it and set it up, and they don't just drop it in the box?!

Seems so! This is what one of their pages about it says:

With free enhanced delivery you can schedule your own delivery time. Two or more representatives from a specialty shipping service will deliver your TV to any room you choose, unpack it, inspect the item for damage, attach the TV to its stand, plug the TV into a power source, power it on (outside weather permitting), and dispose of all packaging material.

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really worth upgrading from a 65" B7 to a 65" C9 for gaming primarily? I bought it last year. I doubt the picture quality changed much, but it having G SYNC now, accepting 1440p 120hz, and the fixes to HDR game mode are swaying me.

Please say no.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really worth upgrading from a 65" B7 to a 65" C9 for gaming primarily? I bought it last year. I doubt the picture quality changed much, but it having G SYNC now, accepting 1440p 120hz, and the fixes to HDR game mode are swaying me.

Please say no.

For me the difference is worth it. I especially didn't like how the B7 would dim when bright scenes appear due to ABL. That is more tunable in the C9 now and the HDR game mode is amazing. Plus the other features you mentioned.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
By most accounts, current OLED TVs are more resistant to burn in than plasma—though this will depend on how it's used. There are certain features that can reduce or delay the occurrence of burn in on OLED TVs that plasma didn't have. Using OLED as a PC monitor ups the risk only if you're using it to do regular PC tasks. If you're just using it for gaming and media viewing, then it's not an issue. If you didn't have burn in on a plasma under these circumstances, then you'll probably be fine on OLED too. Also keep in mind that it isn't a thousand hours per se, but that thousand (or usually several thousand) hours refers to cumulative hours of the same static content displayed over time.

For the 2018 and 2019 LG OLEDs, the Sharpness setting behaves differently depending on the context. At a value of 0, it's completely disabled in every instance and is generally the correct setting. A value between 1-10 will actually not add any sharpening, but instead apply a form of antialiasing to anything below the TV's native 4K resolution; if you send the TV a 4K signal, then Sharpness will still be disabled at 10 or less. The anti aliasing can remove certain artifacts caused by the TV's scaling, but it can also cause other artifacts and make the picture a bit softer in certain instances. A value of 11 or higher isn't recommended as turns it into a traditional sharpness control and adds ringing to the image with any signal.

EDIT: The sharpness pattern in the link holygeesus posted is a good tool to figure out the right setting. Just keep in mind the setting you chose based on that pattern will only be applicable to 1080p or lower resolution content.

Thank you so much for clarifying. I couldn't understand why default on C9 is sharpness 10, now I do.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, if that is free that will be worth it. Especially if they take my broken plasma away.... What to do....

YMMV but I had an issue with an Amazon TV delivery. They sent a second one.. again had an issue. The manufacturer evaluated both and recommended that I work with the retailer b/c it was going to require a panel replacement to fix both.

Amazon initially approved the second replacement (I had informed them that refund was preferred b/c hassle) but then I was contacted by some special department. They refused to take care of the issue and closed my account. I'm not allowed to open a new account with them now, blacklisted.

It's crazy because the second TV had "easy returns" crap all over it. Even more crazy because I had documentation from the manufacturer as well as photos and such. They literally told me that they did not care if the returns were legit or not, just that the 2 returns (second one didn't even wind up happening) put me outside of what they considered acceptable as a customer. The TV's were ~$3000 each.

Last edited:

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are 4K gaming monitors that people recommend, trying to get one ready for when Stadia comes out.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Oh yeah I'm sure they will be at CES.
Sony will he prepping for PS5, so you'll get all the co-branded VRR , 8K HDR and 120hz stuff .

The chipsets for HDMI 2.1 should be more widely available and mature too.
Oh God no, not 8K... 4K is already a waste for me, maximum 4K or nothing.

Do you think that high end LCD in 2020 will be only 8K already :/ ?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
YMMV but I had an issue with an Amazon TV delivery. They sent a second one.. again had an issue. The manufacturer evaluated both and recommended that I work with the retailer b/c it was going to require a panel replacement to fix both.

Amazon initially approved the second replacement (I had informed them that refund was preferred b/c hassle) but then I was contacted by some special department. They refused to take care of the issue and closed my account. I'm not allowed to open a new account with them now, blacklisted.

It's crazy because the second TV had "easy returns" crap all over it. Even more crazy because I had documentation from the manufacturer as well as photos and such. They literally told me that they did not care if the returns were legit or not, just that the 2 returns (second one didn't even wind up happening) put me outside of what they considered acceptable as a customer. The TV's were ~$3000 each.

Oh no. That is no good at all. Did they deliver it to your house and take it out to make sure it was not broken ?

My other option is B&H .....

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
i would never buy a tv over the internet. Too many times they are flawed and need replacing. Not to mention that the delivery companies destroy them.

I bought all my TVs through Best Buy And even with returning a couple, the experience was great. The Best Buy rewards are great too. Last time I bought a tv, I had over $700 in My Best Buy rewards to apply to it.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
When we talk about OLED, it's always about LG. But what about a Sony OLED? The Sony A8G/AG8 for example?

I see praise for it on YouTube about how it's truly mind blowing and better than LG, no black crush etc. End of the day it's all subjective, but anyone here have a Sony A8G?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
i would never buy a tv over the internet. Too many times they are flawed and need replacing. Not to mention that the delivery companies destroy them.

I bought all my TVs through Best Buy And even with returning a couple, the experience was great. The Best Buy rewards are great too. Last time I bought a tv, I had over $700 in My Best Buy rewards to apply to it.

How was BB delivery service? Did you order through them online and have them deliver?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
When we talk about OLED, it's always about LG. But what about a Sony OLED? The Sony A8G/AG8 for example?

I see praise for it on YouTube about how it's truly mind blowing and better than LG, no black crush etc. End of the day it's all subjective, but anyone here have a Sony A8G?
The Sony sets definitely look more premium then the LG's and they have much better upscaling technology.

But if gaming is your priority I can't recommend them over the LG C9 since it doesn't support HDMI 2.1 or gsync/VRR. The LG also has lower input lag.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The Sony sets definitely look more premium then the LG's and they have much better upscaling technology.

But if gaming is your priority I can't recommend them over the LG C9 since it doesn't support HDMI 2.1 or gsync/VRR. The LG also has lower input lag.

Those are good points for sure yeah. But those features aside, would you say the picture quality is better on the Sony? Also peak brightness wise, who wins that?

I have QLED right now but more and more am I considering going back to OLED, brightness definitely is a factor though because QLED is significantly more brighter.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Those are good points for sure yeah. But those features aside, would you say the picture quality is better on the Sony? Also peak brightness wise, who wins that?

I have QLED right now but more and more am I considering going back to OLED, brightness definitely is a factor though because QLED is significantly more brighter.

you get them calibrated, then that's a toss up. LG is usually brighter nits wise, even though they supply the panel. Look on Rtings, as my E9 is 800+ nits and A9 hit 600s.

Honestly though he's right. If you even remotely game then go with C9/E9. 13ms lag, hdmi 2.1 for future, vrr, etc. I tried both and also found Sony really limits brightness and was way dimmer to me for many hdr games than LG.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

I can't comment on the picture quality, but according to rtings the C9 has higher HDR and SDR brightness than the Sony.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
So, is the VRR from the LG C9 a thing? does really works? or it is just a gimmick? cant find a video on youtube showing the results....

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
How was BB delivery service? Did you order through them online and have them deliver?
I ordered it in store. Since I'm a My Best Buy Elite Plus member, Geek Squad delivery and setup was free. Actually, it may be free for everyone. I can't remember. :) The delivery service was great. They are Best Buy employees that deliver it.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered it in store. Since I'm a My Best Buy Elite Plus member, Geek Squad delivery and setup was free. Actually, it may be free for everyone. I can't remember. :) The delivery service was great. They are Best Buy employees that deliver it.

All I would need is to have my old TV moved away and the new one turned on and make sure it is not broken, bad pixels ….

SloMoBackSlap

Feb 15, 2018
Usually the larger the area the dinner a display will be. Whilst a consumer OLED can hit 800ish nits for a small area , they drop right back for a large area (as do most LCD sets). The current recommendation is for content is to be produced to 213 bits for "paper white" which means they currently fall short.
By contrast a production reference OLED will hit 1000 nits and a premium LCD may be 700nits.

Panasonic make an OLED which has additional coo to help it get over 200.

The reference monitors are typical inches thick and fan/liquid cooled to stop the diodes from dying

That's good to know. Thanks for the breakdown.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This might be different in the USA but here Amazon only offer manufacturer warranties (so one year). There is no way I would ever buy a TV from Amazon, when for the same price, or less, I can get a 5-6 year warranty. I bought my TV from Peter Tyson and it came with 6, so peace of mind.

I have an AF9 after coming from an LG B6 and I couldn't be happier with it. I'll never buy anything but a Sony TV (well....maybe a Panasonic) ever again at this point. LG's customer support is terrible, and their firmware updates are nightmare fuel, though in their defence they at least offer new features with them, but most of the time they introduce as many problems.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

Please say no.

I would say no, unless you are really bothered by the HDR game performance of your set. I don't think 1440p/120 is a clear win over 1080p/120 due to upscaling losing some sharpness. And since the C9 does not support passing 5 channel PCM over eARC, I personally will not be using VRR until that gets fixed or I buy a VRR-compatible receiver.

In general, you need to figure out how frequently you are comfortable upgrading from a standpoint of cost, hassle, and environmental impact, and stick to it. You can buy a C9 now, but in two years later you will probably want to upgrade again for an 8K top emission panel, with improved BFI and eARC fixes. There is always going to be something to envy the newer models for.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

Please say no.

If your B7 is working fine and you're satisfied, I would wait a year or two.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
First HDMI cable to TV, second HDMI cable to AVR = win (surround sound + VRR)

Like I said in the text you quoted, the C9 does not support passing 5-channel PCM over eARC, only stereo. Hence surround sound will only work if the game supports bitstreaming Dolby or DTS, and a lot of PC games don't.

In theory you can do real-time AC3 encoding on your PC, but this has gotten much harder since Windows 7 and requires specific sound hardware.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the text you quoted, the C9 does not support passing 5-channel PCM over eARC, only stereo. Hence surround sound will only work if the game supports bitstreaming Dolby or DTS, and a lot of PC games don't.

In theory you can do real-time AC3 encoding on your PC, but this has gotten much harder since Windows 7 and requires specific sound hardware.

That's where the 2 cables come in. The second cable is from the PC GPU as a "second display" and goes straight to the reciever, so it doesn't need the C9 to interfere.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Going by some Reddit comments 7 months ago, no, VRR doesn't work with any current splitters. That may have changed, but I can't see anything specific.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This might be different in the USA but here Amazon only offer manufacturer warranties (so one year). There is no way I would ever buy a TV from Amazon, when for the same price, or less, I can get a 5-6 year warranty. I bought my TV from Peter Tyson and it came with 6, so peace of mind.
IN USA here. I plan on getting my C9...or10 from Amazon since I have so much in credit there. I've also found their warranties to be reasonably priced. Longest you get is 4 years for a little over 100 bucks, I think.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IN USA here. I plan on getting my C9...or10 from Amazon since I have so much in credit there. I've also found their warranties to be reasonably priced. Longest you get is 4 years for a little over 100 bucks, I think.

Oh that's pretty cool. Not even sure you can buy extended warranty with them here, but it might just be something I've never noticed.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I plan on going to Best Buy after work tonight to order the C9 I listed above. I pray the price stays as it is....

Any advice as to what I should pay for, besides them lugging my old TV away?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, according to that best buy link the MSRP dropped on the 65c9 by almost a thousand dollars. Used to be 3499, now 2599.

My GPU only has one HDMI. So I would need some external splitter that could handle a VRR signal. Does one exist?
Try this for your audio.

It's a unidirectional cable of displayport output and HDMI input but it should fit your need for audio. Run the regular HDMI cable from your HDMI output on your video card to your tv for video.

Since you do have two video connections (with one being strictly for audio) windows may try to extend your screen. There was a handy post a couple pages back talking about how your can lock down video for the screen so your mouse doesn't try to extend outside the bounds.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I plan on going to Best Buy after work tonight to order the C9 I listed above. I pray the price stays as it is....

Any advice as to what I should pay for, besides them lugging my old TV away?
Amazon is selling for a bit cheaper with better pricing for warranty if you aren't set on getting from BB. I guess I don't know if Geek Squad warranties are a cut above...but damn those prices are something.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon is selling for a bit cheaper with better pricing for warranty if you aren't set on getting from BB. I guess I don't know if Geek Squad warranties are a cut above...but damn those prices are something.

Part of the reason I am thinking about going with BB is that I believe they will turn it on and make sure nothing is broken? I also know for $20 bucks they remove the old TV. Since mine is a plasma that weights almost 300 pounds ...that's a good thing.

Eiji

Oct 28, 2017

Please say no.

I have a LG 65" E7 and a Panasonic 65FZ802B OLED. I'm going to wait for the top emission OLEDs which might be out in 2021.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017

I have a Sony AF9 as well and I love it. Only issue is when static elements cause the screen to dim - but you kinda buy into that when you buy an OLED so whatever