• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok well the wife wants to go to LL Bean, so I will hit BB. Just to verify, I want the LG C9PUA and in home delivery/removal. Now the warranty is expensive (400 for 2 years!). Is that what you guys are talking about?

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the insight on my question yesterday people. I've decided to wait another year to see if I can splurge for a 77" C10, provided the prices become more reasonable.

Though I do have another question: Since the B7 doesn't accept 1440p, what can I do if I want to play a PC game at that resolution? I've researched but I can't get a clear answer. Some say use GPU scaling, others say use custom pc resolution. Thanks.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. That is no good at all. Did they deliver it to your house and take it out to make sure it was not broken ?

My other option is B&H .....

In my case it wasn't broken. One had dark black splotches all over the bottom on one TV and the other had a dark line centered vertically all the way left to right. It's been several years so it was Pioneer, but they evaluated both and deemed that a panel replacement was necessary. Thus they recommended that I go thru the retailer for another new product instead.

The frustration for me was that it was 1) legit and 2) something Amazon advertises the crap out of.. regarding the returns. When they do this you also lose any digital content (so Kindle books, etc). I found that they have some sort of algorithm that periodically weeds out "bad" buyers. It seems to be based on $$ of returns vs purchases. Since we'd typically buy just books, movies, games.. the two TV's were a big chunk.

If it was today me then I'd have pursued them on this. The FTC would have been my first stop, given all the advertising they do about easy returns. At very least force them to swap the display before they blacklisted me. Oh well.

I should dig around for the e-mails. Them telling me they didn't care whether the issue was legit was the shittiest part. The dude literally told me that some customers just have a knack of buying problematic items and they don't want those customers. So dumb. They wouldn't even allow me to send them pictures or info from the manufacturer.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Quick question, is it worth to put in 2-3 hundred to buy the C9 instead of the B9? Thank you.

The C9 has the current processor, whereas the B9 has the previous version. I think there was a situation previously where the B model didn't get a later era feature update.
Personally I would go for the C model , just for the peace of mind

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Top Emission OLEDs sound like something I will want, even though I have no idea what they are. So, what are they?

It's a method of production which will make the pixels slightly larger by having them ontop of the electronics that supply them with current.
this will be used to make the pixels a little brighter and to prolong the life of the pixels by supplying them with less current to do the same thing that previous displays did.

There is a good chance it will be limited to 8K displays to begin with

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
GreedFall has quite a lovely HDR implementation, which I wasn't expecting from a budget game. It takes full advantage of being able to display highlights and shadows at the same time and the image looks washed out with it disabled.

It has some oddities, like reflections of fires being brighter than fires themselves, but otherwise it enhances the gorgeous painterly look of the lighting.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the insight on my question yesterday people. I've decided to wait another year to see if I can splurge for a 77" C10, provided the prices become more reasonable.

Though I do have another question: Since the B7 doesn't accept 1440p, what can I do if I want to play a PC game at that resolution? I've researched but I can't get a clear answer. Some say use GPU scaling, others say use custom pc resolution. Thanks.
You should be able to select 1440p as a resolution option.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It's a method of production which will make the pixels slightly larger by having them ontop of the electronics that supply them with current.
this will be used to make the pixels a little brighter and to prolong the life of the pixels by supplying them with less current to do the same thing that previous displays did.

There is a good chance it will be limited to 8K displays to begin with

Thanks for the nice explanation!

Oct 25, 2017
Finding deals on stuff that's HDMI 2.1 compatible is more annoying than it should be. :( I'm trying to get a 55 inch that'll last me through next gen. Anything available for Black Friday?

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I have a Sony AF9 as well and I love it. Only issue is when static elements cause the screen to dim - but you kinda buy into that when you buy an OLED so whatever
If I could afford it, I would def get a Sony OLED over a comparable LG set. You can't beat their video processing and upscaling.

When we talk about OLED, it's always about LG. But what about a Sony OLED? The Sony A8G/AG8 for example?

I see praise for it on YouTube about how it's truly mind blowing and better than LG, no black crush etc. End of the day it's all subjective, but anyone here have a Sony A8G?
To answer you though, it's because the Sony sets are substantially more expensive and all of their panels are manufactured by LG anyways. LG's B and C-series are in the sweet spot for best performance to value.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Quick question, is it worth to put in 2-3 hundred to buy the C9 instead of the B9? Thank you.
Absolutely. In fact, I would get the E-series if I could afford it. You get better speakers and a nicer (physical) design. They also use the best panels from the factory in their higher-series televisions.

But the only time you can really swing that is when they go on clearance and the huge pricing disparity decreases down to only a couple hundred dollars. I've seen several instances of E7's and E8's on clearance at Neweggflash (which doesn't exist anymore) the following summer, for example.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Sony AF9 as well and I love it. Only issue is when static elements cause the screen to dim - but you kinda buy into that when you buy an OLED so whatever

Do you mean when you pause? I've not noticed it on mine, and I had to disable ASBL on my LG because it kept coming on during dark programs such as Game of Thrones.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I remember last summer you could get a 55" LG E7 on Neweggflash for $1499. That's the type of thing I'd be looking for if I was in the market for an OLED. You always buy last years model and save a grip on it when they go on clearance. All summer long, for about four months between June-September I was trying to score one of those 65" C8's at Walmart for $999 but they never got reduced in my area. I was refreshing Brickseek multiple times a day for 4 months straight. The final box sold out at $1399.

If what you want is this years C9 model for example? Then wait until May-June 2020 when the C10 comes out and buy one on clearance then.

A year is just another year. That's a drop in the bucket for most of us once you reach your 30's. Most of the time it's only 6-10months away. We all have old TVs that are perfectly usable until then. In fact, I find it obnoxious when people start asking about "is this a good deal on this television that just came out?". Because well, no, it never is. That television just released. Obviously it is not "a good deal".

There are three major rounds of markdowns each year that you can count on. You can either 1.wait till black Friday (through Christmas, the prices fluctuate during these weeks), 2.wait until Super Bowl sunday when there are big box retailer sales again, or 3.wait until May-ish when the previous year's models start going on clearance.

Buy whenever you want; no one really cares. But there's always people on here from May through early November asking about the brand new sets "is this a good deal???" "should I buy this now???" and the answer is always no. You asked, and that's the answer. It's all cyclical and the cycle is the same every year, outside of the occasional regional specific clearance. There's only like six months out of the year when new TVs aren't on a good sale.

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The only TVs with 2.1 are the LG OLEDs.

Although a lot of TVs already have features of HDMI 2.1.

My Samsung Q90R has VRR, auto low latency mode, and will be getting an eARC update this month. It also will do 4k at 120Hz, albeit at a lower chroma subsampling. I don't think I'll ever use this feature in the timeframe I am using this TV, but it's there.

If you want HDMI 2.1, you should probably also know what features you really want from the HDMI 2.1 spec. It may be that other TVs also have those features, despite not having HDMI 2.1 yet.

So the only HDMI 2.1 feature that my TV is missing that the LG TVs have is 4k@120Hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. VRR, ALLM, and eARC are far more useful.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

My Samsung Q90R has VRR, auto low latency mode, and will be getting an eARC update this month. It also will do 4k at 120Hz, albeit at a lower chroma subsampling. I don't think I'll ever use this feature in the timeframe I am using this TV, but it's there.

If you want HDMI 2.1, you should probably also know what features you really want from the HDMI 2.1 spec. It may be that other TVs also have those features, despite not having HDMI 2.1 yet.

So the only HDMI 2.1 feature that my TV is missing that the LG TVs have is 4k@120Hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. VRR, ALLM, and eARC are far more useful.

I'm imagining you're getting 4:2:0 chroma at 4K 120? Still cool to have though, whilst gaming it's extremely hard to spot the differences of 4:2:0 vs 4:4:4 anyhow.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
TV bought! 1999 + 350 for the 2 year warranty and removal of my 300 pound plasma.

I feel like I got away with something. The thing dropped $500 from yesterday!

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
DOTDASHDOT I've been using my integral 2 for about 6 months as a replacement for my linker and it has been great. Got rid of those HDR issues I had with the linker where I had to disable HDR when I wasn't using it. It'll serve me well until I likely pick up a c10 next year around this time.

Neat, looking forward to see people try out Chroma 420 4k 120 when it is updated on the LG c9.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so my busted lg b8 finally got returned to amazon but they haven't acknowledged it on the order yet

more waiting it is ;_;

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LG approved my request for extended warranty, and have notified the nearest approved vendor to send someone over to look over/repair my TV.

Has anyone gone through this process before? I'm a bit nervous about someone coming upstairs and handling my TV. I'm sure they're professionals and won't drop it or anything, but I'm just curious how these types of things are handled.

In the case of vertical banding, would they replace the whole panel? Is there anything I should be cautious or mindful of? Just want to be prepared and make sure I don't come out with a worse-looking TV when all is said and done.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Crud. You know, I don't think I have any 4K speced HDMI cables. How do I know if I do or not? Any suggestions on which to buy? I should probably prepare that part....

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I believe there is a test for sharpness on the free AVS Forum calibration pattern disc/file

I wouldn't use YouTube for any calibration patterns as you don't know whether they introduce artificial artefacts when uploading, so you can only really do it with a calibration pattern. basically are presented with a pattern with multiple white lines on it (or black depending on the pattern) and you turn sharpness all the way down then gradually increase it till you start to see ringing around the straight lines. You are definitely losing details with an LG set to 0 unless of course this is something LG have changed with recent generations.
By most accounts, current OLED TVs are more resistant to burn in than plasma—though this will depend on how it's used. There are certain features that can reduce or delay the occurrence of burn in on OLED TVs that plasma didn't have. Using OLED as a PC monitor ups the risk only if you're using it to do regular PC tasks. If you're just using it for gaming and media viewing, then it's not an issue. If you didn't have burn in on a plasma under these circumstances, then you'll probably be fine on OLED too. Also keep in mind that it isn't a thousand hours per se, but that thousand (or usually several thousand) hours refers to cumulative hours of the same static content displayed over time.

For the 2018 and 2019 LG OLEDs, the Sharpness setting behaves differently depending on the context. At a value of 0, it's completely disabled in every instance and is generally the correct setting. A value between 1-10 will actually not add any sharpening, but instead apply a form of antialiasing to anything below the TV's native 4K resolution; if you send the TV a 4K signal, then Sharpness will still be disabled at 10 or less. The anti aliasing can remove certain artifacts caused by the TV's scaling, but it can also cause other artifacts and make the picture a bit softer in certain instances. A value of 11 or higher isn't recommended as turns it into a traditional sharpness control and adds ringing to the image with any signal.

EDIT: The sharpness pattern in the link holygeesus posted is a good tool to figure out the right setting. Just keep in mind the setting you chose based on that pattern will only be applicable to 1080p or lower resolution content.

Thanks for the insight, I didn't know avs had free patterns and I foolishly used a youtube video a while back to test the sharpness setting. I also didn't notice until now that the c8 got rid of the edge enhancer option that was in the 7 and presumably 6 series.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you turn off asbl on a c9?

I think it is a lot less finicky than when I had a B6 but you could on the 8-series, so it might still be possible.

Whether you should do it is open to debate, but I never had any screen burn or any other issue doing it back in the day.

Edit - I mean the ASBL is less finicky. Seems to work better now when watching dark scenes.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
LG approved my request for extended warranty, and have notified the nearest approved vendor to send someone over to look over/repair my TV.

Has anyone gone through this process before? I'm a bit nervous about someone coming upstairs and handling my TV. I'm sure they're professionals and won't drop it or anything, but I'm just curious how these types of things are handled.

In the case of vertical banding, would they replace the whole panel? Is there anything I should be cautious or mindful of? Just want to be prepared and make sure I don't come out with a worse-looking TV when all is said and done.

when a local repair company came out torepair my Tv (twice) they were all super professional.
They brought a little stand which they Rested the Tv on as they replaced the panel (which was everything bar a WiFi board, speakers and the back panel of the TV) they then did some service menu stuff and off they went

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I believe that's the case.
DOTDASHDOT I've been using my integral 2 for about 6 months as a replacement for my linker and it has been great. Got rid of those HDR issues I had with the linker where I had to disable HDR when I wasn't using it. It'll serve me well until I likely pick up a c10 next year around this time.

Neat, looking forward to see people try out Chroma 420 4k 120 when it is updated on the LG c9.

I wonder if these non 2.1 modes will support HDR also? Kinda like how the C8 supports 1080p 120hz and HDR, but the B8 doesn't.

Good that the Integral is working out, much more refined than the Linker, they admitted to me on Discord that they could have sorted the Linker out, but cutting through the crap they basically left the old behind for the new.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it is a lot less finicky than when I had a B6 but you could on the 8-series, so it might still be possible.

Whether you should do it is open to debate, but I never had any screen burn or any other issue doing it back in the day.

Edit - I mean the ASBL is less finicky. Seems to work better now when watching dark scenes.

I honestly don't even recognize ABL while watching stuff or playing games on my C9. That was one of my biggest fear, but i couldn't be happier.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So over my C9 tomorrow. Any guide/advice on settings and such? I do plan on getting it calibrated at some point.

Also, I have a Denon AVRX4200W. I am wondering if that is ok at this point.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't even recognize ABL while watching stuff or playing games on my C9. That was one of my biggest fear, but i couldn't be happier.

ABL is a little different. You can't turn that off. ASBL is where the screen dims if you leave static images on screen. ABL is where it dims when the screen gets too bright. I'm not sure if ABL is done for screen protection or to mediate the power needed to drive the panel.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Hi folks! I wanted to get an idea of the kind of discounts to expect for BF on the C9/B9 sets. Currently looking at 65in versions and was wondering if I can expect it to drop around the $1700 range? I was trying to add on a warranty and don't really want to go over $2k. Thanks for any help!

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Hi folks! I wanted to get an idea of the kind of discounts to expect for BF on the C9/B9 sets. Currently looking at 65in versions and was wondering if I can expect it to drop around the $1700 range? I was trying to add on a warranty and don't really want to go over $2k. Thanks for any help!

The 65" C9 just dropped yesterday to an official price (likely a November 'extended black Friday' thing) of $2099.99. You may find cheaper on some of the online vendors closer to or on actual Black Friday, but I'm not sure you'll see much movement under that at regular retail.

Has anyone bought and utilized a Squaretrade warranty? I'm likely going to buy my set from Value Electronics (maybe this week given the new price) and get calibration with it, which already gets me a somewhat pre-screened (as in they make sure you're not getting a lemon with no-go banding/tinting), but was also wanting to add some warranty onto it since I'm new to OLED and I'm not sure these modern sets are as robust as my 10 year old plasma has been.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The 65" C9 just dropped yesterday to an official price (likely a November 'extended black Friday' thing) of $2099.99. You may find cheaper on some of the online vendors closer to or on actual Black Friday, but I'm not sure you'll see much movement under that at regular retail.

Has anyone bought and utilized a Squaretrade warranty? I'm likely going to buy my set from Value Electronics (maybe this week given the new price) and get calibration with it, which already gets me a somewhat pre-screened (as in they make sure you're not getting a lemon with no-go banding/tinting), but was also wanting to add some warranty onto it since I'm new to OLED and I'm not sure these modern sets are as robust as my 10 year old plasma has been.

Most plasmas probably weren't as robust as your 10 year old. A lot of them died due to power supply or main board issues. Sadly I have a Kuro 5010 sitting here that I'd like to revive but the control board is dead and now I really don't have a place for it. My mom is still using a Panasonic with a line of dead pixels down the middle (that somehow she doesn't notice).