• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
What's going on guys,

So, I look at slides roughly once a month to check for any burn-in on my OLED TV (LG-B7) that I've had for just over a year now. Yesterday I noticed what I believe is image-retention from movies, normally I play games as well as watch a movie but this past three weeks I've just been watching movies (1 a night), what I've noticed is the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen from the letterbox are starting to appear on the grey slides. I was under the impression that letterbox'd movies won't burn in because the LED's switch off as the bars are black?

Basically, I'm a bit concerned about continuing to watch movies on the TV in-case they do end up burning in.
When you turn off your TV how are you turning it off? Are you letting it sleep and run its refresh cycle in standby? Or are you turning off some sort of hard switch. If you are literally cutting power to it. DONT DO THAT. It must go through its compensation cycles.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I know there is no firm answer here, just looking for opinions.
Do we expect any big changes in the 2020 models? I'm looking to maybe buy a C9 now, but I have no pressing NEED for it. I can wait till May of next year or so if necessary. Have a baby coming then though and want to be done by that time.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
When you turn off your TV how are you turning it off? Are you letting it sleep and run its refresh cycle in standby? Or are you turning off some sort of hard switch. If you are literally cutting power to it. DONT DO THAT. It must go through its compensation cycles.

I am letting it sleep. Since I bought the TV I have only pulled the plug twice so I could move the TV.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Most plasmas probably weren't as robust as your 10 year old. A lot of them died due to power supply or main board issues. Sadly I have a Kuro 5010 sitting here that I'd like to revive but the control board is dead and now I really don't have a place for it. My mom is still using a Panasonic with a line of dead pixels down the middle (that somehow she doesn't notice).

Ah, my 5020 Kuro has been a work horse!

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I am letting it sleep. Since I bought the TV I have only pulled the plug twice so I could move the TV.
Ok cool just wanted to check, because that seems like way too fast to build up image retention from film usage. The one sure way to accelerate the apparent aging of an OLED is not letting the compensation cycles run.

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
Do we expect any big changes in the 2020 models? I'm looking to maybe buy a C9 now, but I have no pressing NEED for it. I can wait till May of next year or so if necessary. Have a baby coming then though and want to be done by that time.
Feel like it might be worth waiting till CES since it's only a few months away. The jump from the C8 to C9 was the biggest since it added G-Sync and HDMI 2.1. The C10 will probably be much more incremental in its improvements (e.g. better brightness).

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I had a bit of a surprise visit today, as the technician had to come verify my TV before he could get approval for a panel replacement; if LG doesn't foot the bill, then the cost of the panel would come out of his pocket, so he came and did a picture test with his magic remote.

Unfortunately, the LG rep he spoke to claimed that the banding effect was too minor to warrant a replacement. He did say that the warranty was good for another year, so if it ever got worse I could try calling again.

It is what it is. It was always a minor thing that I could mostly ignore under the right brightness settings, but I figured it was worth a shot.

That said, his picture test ended up resetting all my TV settings, so I need to go back and set up the optimal picture settings for all my crap. That's why I wanted to take this opportunity to ask about recommended settings for the following:

1. Apple TV content running at 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision

2. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X

3. 1080p stuff like the Nintendo Switch, SNES Mini, etc

4. PC (also at 1080p)

Alexander89

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Such a pity A9G doesnt have HDMI 2.1, I like it more than C9 because of its motion handling etc. but now Im waiting another year to buy a new TV because of this. Hopefully the prices are great for new models in a year like they are now.

New TV with PS5, going to be awesome.

But I want to play TLOU, Cyberpunk and FF VII on it, too. Now I only sport a 1080p samsung tv.

decisions, decisions.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
You guys think HGIG is possible to be added to other sets via firmware (mainly C8?)

2019 seems to be such a good upgrade over 2018 if you're a gamer

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
You guys think HGIG is possible to be added to other sets via firmware (mainly C8?)

Shouldn't be a problem. HGIG is only a collection of data and nothing hardware related. There is no reason for LG not to update the 8 series, apart from politics and wanting to boost sales of the 9 series

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't be a problem. HGIG is only a collection of data and nothing hardware related. There is no reason for LG not to update the 8 series, apart from politics and wanting to boost sales of the 9 series

LG pretty much forgets about their previous years models when it comes to adding features. Vizio/Samsung and a few other companies are adding apple tv to their 2017 sets and LG will only add it to their 2019 models.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I have no faith in LG adding it. They didn't even bother to add the logo luminance option on the 7 models, for example.

LG pretty much forgets about their previous years models when it comes to adding features. Vizio/Samsung and a few other companies are adding apple tv to their 2017 sets and LG will only add it to their 2019 models.

This too.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
So basically, technically possible but greed says probably not happening. Got it.

These companies really suck sometimes. Its not like totally these are cheap things where people can upgrade every 2 or 3 years

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You know how loathe I am to give LG any credit but they did add HLG to the B6 when it was pretty old and dusty.....the downside being the same firmware brought in the elevated blacks/glowing blacks which they never fixed, at least with their EU firmware.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
How are the apps on the C9? Mainly I have used my shield with my Samsung Plasma, but am wondering if I can treat the TV as a standalone.

We mainly use Netflix, YouTube TV, Amazon Prime, Sling TV (NFL Redzone only) and probably Disney + if we get it.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Two things:
1) The nightly refresh is only for the temporary image retention. Not burn-in. So it helps in the short term, but does nothing for the long term.
2) The whole concept of "burn-in" is that the pixels are degrading unevenly. So yes, the pixels on the black borders aren't being burned in, but that just means they're going to be burned in less than the rest of the TV that was used and be visible in the way that you see it.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two things:
1) The nightly refresh is only for the temporary image retention. Not burn-in. So it helps in the short term, but does nothing for the long term.
2) The whole concept of "burn-in" is that the pixels are degrading unevenly. So yes, the pixels on the black borders aren't being burned in, but that just means they're going to be burned in less than the rest of the TV that was used and be visible in the way that you see it.

RTings ran a 9000 hour test of watching just letterboxed content and didn't observe any uneven wear.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

I was waiting for this to show up here. He has "calibrated" the Samsung, but the TCL has the straight out of the box settings. Sharpness on the TCL is set to 20, but 4 on the Samsung. His Samsung color and contrast settings seem pretty messed up to me. Contrast is set to 19 on the Samsung for some reason. And he is filming the Samsung from below. He goes on to say that game mode on the Samsung "disables" the wide angle filter (it doesn't). But then he doesn't test this to show a difference.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Question for those who got their LG OLEDs calibrated. Did you get it done professionally from geek squad and are their services worth it?

From what I've gathered they just do the ISF calibration for bright and dark room settings and nothing with hdr movies or game modes. Which is basically all I do. Will these settings help those modes as well?

I think this might be my only option for
a professional calibration locally but I could be wrong.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Doing some pre-Black Friday planning, what's the best TV I can get for £300-400?

4k HDR, low latency, doesn't have to be huge maybe 40-45 inches.

Or am I being too stingy and need to spend more?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
What's the opinion on Toshiba TVs, particulay the 43LF621U19?

I'm leaning my folks to get the Samsung 43" UN43RU7100FXZA instead but they think Samsung is "an inferior brand".

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What's the opinion on Toshiba TVs, particulay the 43LF621U19?

I'm leaning my folks to get the Samsung 43" UN43RU7100FXZA instead but they think Samsung is "an inferior brand".

Toshiba Is a budget brand nowadays for TVs, which is a shame as they made some fantastic ones a decade ago .

Rtings rates the Samsung higher, if you need to check compatible reviews.

I would also be a bit apprehensive about Toshiba/Amazon's willingness to provide long term support for the software and apps

Last edited:

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Question for those who got their LG OLEDs calibrated. Did you get it done professionally from geek squad and are their services worth it?

From what I've gathered they just do the ISF calibration for bright and dark room settings and nothing with hdr movies or game modes. Which is basically all I do. Will these settings help those modes as well?

I think this might be my only option for
a professional calibration locally but I could be wrong.
I've heard all best buy does is use those free avs HD calibration slides. You know the bar 17 flashing crap.

Better off doing it yourself and saving some dough. That is not a calibration.

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
Doing some pre-Black Friday planning, what's the best TV I can get for £300-400?

There's not much point in getting a 4K set under 50" tbh, but if you're set on getting something, the Hisense H43B7300UK is currently £224 at Argos with 2 yr warranty using the code PRISTINE. Full disclosure, I know nothing at all about this TV and have no idea if it's absolute trash or not, just letting you know there's a deal on today.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

you'll be able to get a 4K set with all the latest apps. However HDR is going to be a non-starter at that price bracket.
You'll be heading upto £900ish+ for that.
Generally you will struggle to find anything 49inches or below that can do HDR well.

Last edited:

Oni_J

Oct 28, 2017

I'm on the same boat, was fine with 43" because 55" felt a bit too much, but then all the cool stuff that improves gaming is only on the 55".
Plus I have 8% at Curry or a 30% discount for Samsung, but that video review and some of the comments a scaring me about Samsung.
Too bad the TCL here in the UK are not the good ones. :(

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Anyone know by how much the 55 inch LG b9 will drop by on black friday or cyber Monday? Currently 1300 and it's been long enough since i bought a tv that i don't know what to expect or how to easily track it

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know by how much the 55 inch LG b9 will drop by on black friday or cyber Monday? Currently 1300 and it's been long enough since i bought a tv that i don't know what to expect or how to easily track it

It's already dropped significantly since it came out only 6 months ago , I wouldn't anticipate any other significant drops in prices

you can see the history of the previous model here

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

I am guessing that it will get the improved BFI system that was originally promised for the 9-series and then pulled at the last minute.

Getting a usable BFI mode would be a pretty big deal for gaming. Arguably better than any of the HDMI 2.1 features.

Anyway you only need to wait until January to find out what is new. Then you can decide whether it is worth waiting until May.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow wow wow

Guy with the broken OLED from Amazon here

Been chatting with Amazon with the text chat for days now asking where tf my replacement is and they assured me it was coming

Finally called them on the phone and it turns out NO ONE EVER MADE A REPLACEMENT ORDER

IT WAS NEVER COMING

Well, thanks to the kind guy I talked to, I now have a replacement B8 coming on Monday

Lets fuckin' hope this one makes it in one piece

I'm looking at picking up a Samsung Q80 82" for about $5200 Canada bucks. Is this TV worth the money?

I really want an 80" for my downstairs setup. I've read about Samsung having freesync which I was interested in trying out with my XB1X.

I will be replacing an LG B6 55". I haven't had any issues with the LG, but the C8 is around the same price as the Q80 but is only 65".

If anyone has any feedback that would be greatly appreciated!

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm looking at picking up a Samsung Q80 82" for about $5200 Canada bucks. Is this TV worth the money?

I really want an 80" for my downstairs setup. I've read about Samsung having freesync which I was interested in trying out with my XB1X.

I will be replacing an LG B6 55". I haven't had any issues with the LG, but the C8 is around the same price as the Q80 but is only 65".

If anyone has any feedback that would be greatly appreciated!

Solid TV, it's not like you have loads of choice if you want one that big.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Just picked up a Sony 950g. I'm so happy.

Was given a Sony x70f that blew up. Ended up grabbing this on sale.

Anything I should know or do to make it better? Browsed rtings and it seems to look good now but wasn't sure if there's more

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if Amazon price matches price drops within the return window?

I'm looking to purchase a new TV (been using this 12 year old Samsung for many years now), but hesitant to do so before Black Friday. But Death Stranding is out in a couple days so...

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if Amazon price matches price drops within the return window?

I'm looking to purchase a new TV (been using this 12 year old Samsung for many years now), but hesitant to do so before Black Friday. But Death Stranding is out in a couple days so...
They price match with TV's, but nothing else sadly.