• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered a 65" x950g today since Best Buy is already discounting at Black Friday levels and I had a $100 GC and $25 in Reward Certificates.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
65" are discounted by $300 ($1,499.99), 55" are discounted by $200 ($999.99), 75" and 85" are discounted by $500 ($2,499.99 and $3,999.99). Not the best deal, but the burn in on my OLED is driving me nuts.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I'm looking at picking up a Samsung Q80 82" for about $5200 Canada bucks. Is this TV worth the money?

I really want an 80" for my downstairs setup. I've read about Samsung having freesync which I was interested in trying out with my XB1X.

I will be replacing an LG B6 55". I haven't had any issues with the LG, but the C8 is around the same price as the Q80 but is only 65".

If anyone has any feedback that would be greatly appreciated!

Wait, wait, wait, that can't be right, what? A 65" C8 is $5200 CAD? You could just walk to the US, buy a 65" C9 AND an offroad truck to smuggle it back with and still save thousands of dollars even with the exchange rate.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Oh wow, I almost forgot to come in here and update everyone on the TV I bought.

I purchased the Samsung Q80 at 55 inches, and I could not be happier with my decision. This thing is near perfect for my situation. The blacks are so deep; the color is so vibrant. Setup was smooth, and after removing all the apps on it, the UX is simple and straight forward. I am happy to report there are no dead or stuck pixels either, a thing I was super worried about. The first movie I saw on it was Bladerunner 2049, which I used for light calibration. I'm even more in love with that movie now. This is also the first time I'm playing video games in 4K HDR, and it's blowing my hair back. It took me a full game of NBA 2K to get used to how good everything looked and moved. I played some RDR2 also, and I'm just floored at the lighting coming through the trees and the color of night. Really impressed overall.

I'm quite happy with my purchase; I want to thank you guys for the help. I suppose I won't need this thread for the foreseeable future, so smell you all later.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Can somebody with a C9 (or a C8) do me a favour? I need to know where the mounting holes are for the VESA (from the bottom edge)

Just relayed that my existing VESA wall mount is positioned entirely differently

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
So Best Buy seems to have the B9 on sale for BF but not the C9. Is there really anything different between them besides the faster processor?

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Can somebody with a C9 (or a C8) do me a favour? I need to know where the mounting holes are for the VESA (from the bottom edge)

Just relayed that my existing VESA wall mount is positioned entirely differently

It's 12cm from the bottom edge to the first hole.

I had to move my wall bracket which was a real pain.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Is it upgrading a TCL 6 series for any non-OLED panel at this point? I feel like the blacks could be a bit better and there is some dirty screen effect, but neither are a deal breaker for me. I bought it as a budget choice at the time knowing I would want to upgrade at some point...that being said...
am I correct that the Samsung Q80 does not support Dolby Vision? Does this mean Netflix shows with DV won't have any HDR when viewed?
If this is true, it would leave the X950G as the other choice.

Is this a huge upgrade or is it gonna be hardly noticeable?

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Just completed my ISF Level III certification lab. Made a lot of good contacts and met a lot of people from all over the place. Engineers, Colorist, Post Production, Product Managers, Directors etc. All from places such as Sony, LG, Samsung, Vizio, Sound United, Disney, Viacom, etc.

Lots of good information on whats to come, whats is being targeted, tools, etc. Saw the 7G generator. That is going to be a great for testing 2.1 devices. I wouldn't expect any meaningful changes outside of HDMI 2.1 until 2021/2022. Even items that are in the HDMI 2.1 spec I don't expect to see until much later such as QMS, QMT.

Heard some good news for high end audio owners of Denon and Marantz for HDMI 2.1 if you own the current flagships, we'll be able to upgrade to 2.1 on those boards, not the front panel though.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Apple TV looks good on my iPad and Dolby Vision won't work over Airplay. Ah well, none of the content looks remotely appealing anyway, so I'm not tempted to get an Apple TV

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to search for any info about Disney+ coming to the LG content store but I still can't find anything.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Apple TV app dropped onto Amazon Fire products this week. Makes the 4K Fire TV a much cheaper alternative to Apple TV. Can play all my iTunes purchases on my TV now on a device that cost me £5 (prime day deal)

Also noticed that LG have pushed out another C8 update (2nd one this month). 05.10.35. Haven't installed it yet as I'm waiting for people in the know to give feedback

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I just read that Disney+ isn't coming to the UK until the end of March.
Bad move

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
I was waiting for this to show up here. He has "calibrated" the Samsung, but the TCL has the straight out of the box settings. Sharpness on the TCL is set to 20, but 4 on the Samsung. His Samsung color and contrast settings seem pretty messed up to me. Contrast is set to 19 on the Samsung for some reason. And he is filming the Samsung from below. He goes on to say that game mode on the Samsung "disables" the wide angle filter (it doesn't). But then he doesn't test this to show a difference.
no...

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
For people using their PCs.
Do you use PC mode or console mode?
Console mode just looks better to me than PC. PC looks washed out in comparison.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
So I bought a ONN 43" 4k TV about a week ago to get a simple taste of the 4K life and it's working pretty good so far for the price, but does anyone else have any experience with the same/similar TV? My only exposure to ONN displays was an uber cheaper 21" monitor that's lasted me 2 years so far.

So should I eliminate the risk, return It, and spend an extra $30-$40 on a TCL instead?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
So I bought a ONN 43" 4k TV about a week ago to get a simple taste of the 4K life and it's working pretty good so far for the price, but does anyone else have any experience with the same/similar TV? My only exposure to ONN displays was an uber cheaper 21" monitor that's lasted me 2 years so far.

So should I eliminate the risk, return It, and spend an extra $30-$40 on a TCL instead?
What TCL are you looking at? The TCL is most likely the better choice and worth saving up for.

Blugrass

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, looking to get my first 4k tv this season...looking to spend around 400 or something in that range...Bestbuy etc are selling a tcl 55' 5 series for 400...debating between that or possibly spending a little more on a tcl 6 series for 600..what do you guys think? is it worth the jump? any other suggestions?

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For people using their PCs.
Do you use PC mode or console mode?
Console mode just looks better to me than PC. PC looks washed out in comparison.

PC mode on Samsung and LG TVs cuts off many picture settings. I came from a Sony X900F and now got the LG C9. I just use the game console mode, because i see no difference at all and i want more picture settings.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Yes.

I haven't watched the whole video, but it appears he still hasn't calibrated the TCL. An uncalibrated tv is going to boost the image. Get both TVs professionally calibrated and then we'll talk. His testing method is still flawed.
UNcalibrated is going to "boost" the image?

His picture settings(IF we are assuming he doesn't professionally calibrate his displays) for the samsung looked better than the professional calibrated settings that rtings etc posted as if you watch the video you see he used in comparison.

RedBaron17

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, looking to get my first 4k tv this season...looking to spend around 400 or something in that range...Bestbuy etc are selling a tcl 55' 5 series for 400...debating between that or possibly spending a little more on a tcl 6 series for 600..what do you guys think? is it worth the jump? any other suggestions?

Hey, I saw this thread and I was going to ask the exact same thing you just asked lol. Except, I'm debating between the 2018 6 series or the 2019 model.

So ERA, would you kindly help us out?