• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
btw. How you feel after moving from X900F to C9?

Iam very impressed. Cable TV / low quality content is maybe more suitable on Sony TVs because of the better upscaling / image processing, but in all other areas the C9 is just superior (well it should be for the price).
LGs trumotion surprised me, its pretty good. Soccer for example looks for me as good as on Sony TVs with their motionflow.
WebOS is just sooooo much better than android, its really well thought out and fast. Gamingwise, its unfair to compare, because 7-13ms + VRR + great HDR + perfect blacks is just a different ballpark.

Btw, dolby vision on the Sony X900F was often just too dark, for example "The Haunting of Hill House" or "Sabrina". My first impression of these series on the C9 was like "wtf, this looks so right now". So i guess Sony is still fucking up something in terms of DV.

Last but not least, i won the panel lottery. The Panel of my 65C9 is sublime, i do not see any banding, DSE, dead pixels in any content i have watched so far. I hope it will last long.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
So NFS Heat supports Dolby Vision on the PC, who's gonna try it with an Nvidia GPU? Love to know if it works.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Just trying to get my 4K Fire TV setup properly for use with my LG C8. Anyone know what the best settings are to just have everything work automatically? I have the following to choose fom:

Match Original Frame Rate: ON/OFF
Colour Depth: Up to 12 Bits / Up to 10 Bits / 8 Bits
Colour Format: Automatic / RGB / YCbCr
Dynamic Range Settings: Always HDR / Adaptive

Edit: Just switched dyanmic range from always to adaptvie but now Dolby Vision doesn't kick in on my iTunes movies. Just 4K HDR. If I set it to always, everything plays in DV including SDR content :/

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
UNcalibrated is going to "boost" the image?

His picture settings(IF we are assuming he doesn't professionally calibrate his displays) for the samsung looked better than the professional calibrated settings that rtings etc posted as if you watch the video you see he used in comparison.
For most TVs, default settings do need to be dialed back to get closer to reference picture.

And it doesn't matter as it's stupid to compare TVs with settings found online like RTINGs. You either professionally calibrate both or don't test.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a couple of LG C9 questions.
  1. When I turn on the TV, it is always going to antenna, which I do not have one! Is there any way to make it go to an app or at least the home screen?
  2. Can the remote control an AVR at all? Change the input and power it? It does change the volume ….

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Btw, dolby vision on the Sony X900F was often just too dark, for example "The Haunting of Hill House" or "Sabrina". My first impression of these series on the C9 was like "wtf, this looks so right now". So i guess Sony is still fucking up something in terms of DV.

This is true for pretty much all their TVs including my AF9 OLED. Dolby Vision looked better on my old LG B6.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Just trying to get my 4K Fire TV setup properly for use with my LG C8. Anyone know what the best settings are to just have everything work automatically? I have the following to choose fom:

Match Original Frame Rate: ON/OFF
Colour Depth: Up to 12 Bits / Up to 10 Bits / 8 Bits
Colour Format: Automatic / RGB / YCbCr
Dynamic Range Settings: Always HDR / Adaptive

Edit: Just switched dyanmic range from always to adaptvie but now Dolby Vision doesn't kick in on my iTunes movies. Just 4K HDR. If I set it to always, everything plays in DV including SDR content :/
Turns out that the Apple TV app on amazon devices doesn't support Dolby Vision / ATMOS despite the devices supporting both :(

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So NFS Heat supports Dolby Vision on the PC, who's gonna try it with an Nvidia GPU? Love to know if it works.
So the EA Dolby vision bug is still active? I could try it out, almost scared too hah. Maybe since everything gets filtered through the integral 2 now it will fix this. I might give it a shot. I will be playing star wars next week and want to use Dolby vision if i can.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
So the EA Dolby vision bug is still active? I could try it out, almost scared too hah. Maybe since everything gets filtered through the integral 2 now it will fix this. I might give it a shot. I will be playing star wars next week and want to use Dolby vision if i can.

Well Dark1x has got it working properly on his LG with an Nvidia card, so maybe it has been sorted just for NFS, or for all of the DV games? I did try BF1 a couple of months ago, and the colours screwed up for me.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Hey guys, looking to get my first 4k tv this season...looking to spend around 400 or something in that range...Bestbuy etc are selling a tcl 55' 5 series for 400...debating between that or possibly spending a little more on a tcl 6 series for 600..what do you guys think? is it worth the jump? any other suggestions?

The 5 series effectively doesn't support HDR thanks to its very limited light output. The 6 series is well, well, well worth the extra $200. The Hisense H9F is a direct competitor to the 6 series at the same price. Between the TCL 6 and H9F, I'm not sure which is ultimately better, maybe someone else has done an extensive comparison.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Song OLEDS £500 off at John Lewis - 55AG8 £1299, 65AG8 £1999. AG9 quite a lot more. ismthe AG9 a big step forward over the AG8?

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Just went to a BB to return something. They had a 77" Sony AG9 on display, man what a gorgeous display. If I didn't do any gaming on a TV that would be my next upgrade but since I do a lot of gaming I will wait for a deal on the 77" C9 (I currently have a 65" B6 that has had a pretty severe vertical banding problem for the longest).

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
For most TVs, default settings do need to be dialed back to get closer to reference picture.

And it doesn't matter as it's stupid to compare TVs with settings found online like RTINGs. You either professionally calibrate both or don't test.
Right but he's saying the opposite.

He used the other settings for comparison sakes as he was wrongly accused of misleading people.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, I never realized how bad of a DSE panel my TCL R617 has. It is absolutely distracting while playing Death Stranding. Hopefully my LG B8 comes fully functional first of all, but also with a way less dirty panel.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Looking at my black friday options right now and it's looking like Samsung RU8000 might be the best option. It's more than £100 above what I initially limited myself to but it seems like I cant get anything with somewhat decent HDR below that (not that this TV is great either).

A more price appropriate option would be the Sony XG83, although that seems to have even more issues with HDR.

LG doesn't seem to even be worth considering at this range.

Ideally I would have liked the Sony XF90 but I can't really justify the cost considering that literally the only thing the TV will be used for is my console.

Edit: also what about this TCL 628 thing? I read somewhere that TCL options aren't great outside of the US but not sure how reliable that is.

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017

For the first time ever I've got Dolby Vision working on PC with Mass Effect Andromeda, works at 1080p 120hz too, looked very nice but I couldn't check HDR10 to compare, as the black screen bug stops it switching.

Oh and the DV game mode felt great.

Last edited:

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
question regarding HDR game mode, on a LG B7A, OLED, PS4pro

Is HDR by definition supposed to make the colors more vibrant and a wider color output ? Or is it more real shadows and real sunlight? Because ive been trying to enjoy Death Stranding and the lighting looks amazing.. However, the colors are a bit washed out compared to when HDR is turned off. I would like the same green on the ground with HDR on, ? Or is that just the intended color when HDR is turned on (maybe I just wanna think this to tell myself my tv isnt messed up? I have the ps4 HDR settings calibrated. I just followed the instructions for black and white and assume it is proper, the game itself has no HDR settings aside from on or off and luminosity which i increased a bit. My B7A has minimal HDR settings, Color is 50-60. tint is 0, dynamic contrast is on for a bit brighter.

What am i missing? My tv is rated for good hdr i think. Are the intended HDR colors really that washed out ? I tried Shadow of the Colossus and Spider Man and the colors just seem to pop a lot more with the HDR off on this oled tv. I hope anyone has some thoughts or ideas. I have seen other folks looking for Death Stranding HDR information as well.

I am kinda torn atm with which to play it on, On one hand the HDR lighting in the cave looks amazing in game, It looks real. The rain looks amazing in it, On the other, the colors and green pop a lot more with HDR off. I wish HDR could be on as well as the colors being that good and vibrant.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
For the first time ever I've got Dolby Vision working on PC with Mass Effect Andromeda, works at 1080p 120hz too, looked very nice but I couldn't check HDR10 to compare, as the black screen bug stops it switching.

Oh and the DV game mode felt great.
I downloaded a couple games to test out (side note ea access premiere is pretty damn good) and I still couldn't get dolby vision to work on my c7. Interestingly in ME:A when I choose Dolby Vision in the menu it defaults to SDR game mode but doesn't give me a blank screen. I can flip back to HDR10 and it works just fine but any time I go back to DV it just goes to SDR Game. Perhaps this is the integral 2 kicking in?? Madden 20 just has an auto detect option and that detects HDR10, don't have a dolby vision option. Interestingly this is the same for NFS Heat. The only option I have in the menu is auto detect and it defaults to HDR10. I don't see an option for Dolby Vision. So I guess I will be using HDR10 for star wars next week as this seems to be the only thing that is detecting and working.

Edit: Did a quick search and it seems like it can still be an issue:

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I downloaded a couple games to test out (side note ea access premiere is pretty damn good) and I still couldn't get dolby vision to work on my c7. Interestingly in ME:A when I choose Dolby Vision in the menu it defaults to SDR game mode but doesn't give me a blank screen. I can flip back to HDR10 and it works just fine but any time I go back to DV it just goes to SDR Game. Perhaps this is the integral 2 kicking in?? Madden 20 just has an auto detect option and that detects HDR10, don't have a dolby vision option. Interestingly this is the same for NFS Heat. The only option I have in the menu is auto detect and it defaults to HDR10. I don't see an option for Dolby Vision. So I guess I will be using HDR10 for star wars next week as this seems to be the only thing that is detecting and working.

Edit: Did a quick search and it seems like it can still be an issue:

Did you have automatic settings ticked in NVCP and not the Nvidia ones? Makes a difference.

It would be well worth bypassing Integral 2 to see if that's an issue, because I remember that the Vertex had a weird EDID detection issue regarding DV, and I had to choose a Sony preset to allow DV to pass.

Oh and I got Battlefield 1 working in DV too, again looked great but would black screen if i switched to HDR10 or exited the game.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question about LGs motion/pointer remotes: Does the pointer work in apps? Like YouTube? Would be awesome if it does!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet, thanks for the answer! I'm getting one of their sets with the remote this week and I was hoping I could use the built in apps with the motion instead of slowly using the buttons or hooking up my PC!

I'm personally not a fan. Most apps are still 'multi platform' so designed around a 4-way + select navigation. Most of the time you're using your 'mouse' to click arrows to simulate d-pad stuff. For thumbnail selection and larger movement it's decent though

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am not sure if this doubles as a monitor thread or if there is a separate one but I am buying my first monitor in a while for PC gaming ( was using a 60hz TV for a long time at 1080P). I am going to upgrade my Videocard to a 2070S in the next few weeks and I plan to try to achieve 1440p at greater than 100FPS. I was adviced that any bigger than 27 inches for 1440p sort of degrades the image a bit due to pixel density so I had my eyes on 27"/1440p/144hz. Anyways I impulse bought this yesterday Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz the reviews seem to decent, is this a good monitor for my needs at that price or is there an ideal monitor I should strive for? I am new the gsync/freesync game aswell. Keep in mind that is a Canadian link so this is about $420 USD.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Did you have automatic settings ticked in NVCP and not the Nvidia ones? Makes a difference.

It would be well worth bypassing Integral 2 to see if that's an issue, because I remember that the Vertex had a weird EDID detection issue regarding DV, and I had to choose a Sony preset to allow DV to pass.

Oh and I got Battlefield 1 working in DV too, again looked great but would black screen if i switched to HDR10 or exited the game.

Yeah unhooking the integral 2 was the key. Dolby Vision looks pretty damn good but I ran into some issues on my C7 where I'm going to keep it off for now.

1) I don't have a way to test but playing games in Dolby Vision game mode felt more laggy than hdr game mode. This is probably fixed or reduced with newer lg oled models so it's really only an issue for me.

2) I ran into an problem with Mass Effect Andromeda. Everything was working fine and then the game tried to transition from a cut scene to game play and the screen just went blank (like what happens when you try to switch between dolby vision and hdr10 in the settings) . The only way to fix this issue was a hard reboot of my computer.

3) Need For Speed Heat looks like it is a pure auto detect method (with no toggle like ME:A) and will default to Dolby Vision if you have this ability. I ran into a couple issues with NFS: Heat. The first one is that I would get the blank screen issue leaving the game and going back to windows. So every time I left the game I had to hard reboot the computer, which isn't optimal. Secondly, I ran into heavy artifacting on screen with dolby vision. The artifacts were pretty furious at times I thought I might kill my graphics card. Hooked up my Integral 2, the game defaulted back to HDR10, and the artifacts were gone.

I'll revisit Dolby Vision again next year after I likely buy a C10 but there are too many issues with my c7. Looks fantastic though, so to those who can run it enjoy!

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah unhooking the integral 2 was the key. Dolby Vision looks pretty damn good but I ran into some issues on my C7 where I'm going to keep it off for now.

1) I don't have a way to test but playing games in Dolby Vision game mode felt more laggy than hdr game mode. This is probably fixed or reduced with newer lg oled models so it's really only an issue for me.

2) I ran into an problem with Mass Effect Andromeda. Everything was working fine and then the game tried to transition from a cut scene to game play and the screen just went blank (like what happens when you try to switch between dolby vision and hdr10 in the settings) . The only way to fix this issue was a hard reboot of my computer.

3) Need For Speed Heat looks like it is a pure auto detect method (with no toggle like ME:A) and will default to Dolby Vision if you have this ability. I ran into a couple issues with NFS: Heat. The first one is that I would get the blank screen issue leaving the game and going back to windows. So every time I left the game I had to hard reboot the computer, which isn't optimal. Secondly, I ran into heavy artifacting on screen with dolby vision. The artifacts were pretty furious at times I thought I might kill my graphics card. Hooked up my Integral 2, the game defaulted back to HDR10, and the artifacts were gone.

I'll revisit Dolby Vision again next year after I likely buy a C10 but there are too many issues with my c7. Looks fantastic though, so to those who can run it enjoy!

I have to admit BF1 felt laggy to begin with, then I managed to reboot it in HDR10 and it felt similar, but DV outside game mode was horrendous, trouble is its really hard (without hooking up some led rig) to measure DV, but what I'm gonna do later is have the PS4 running in HDR10, and I'll switch between the two.

I also thought 1080p look rougher in DV too, and bearing in mind I've played lots of 1080p 120hz stuff, it was immediately noticeable, it just looked off, but 4K was decent as you'd expect.

Unducks

Nov 4, 2017
Thinking about buying a TCL 6 series this month and I'm noticing that there are some $100 off sales going on right now. Should I go for it or wait to see if there are bigger sales around Black Friday? I'm not really familiar with the trends around TV sales in November.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I might sound like an idiot here but I miss Android on my old Sony TV compared to WebOS on my B8. Loved having like a proper home menu and the benefit of chromecast being built it was a nice benefit too.

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
So I was looking to get an LG C9, possibly with a nice black friday deal, but I saw the smallest model is a 55inch. Coming from a 32inch Sharp Aquis in a modest living room, this is HUGE and takes up way too much space for my (and undoubtedly my gf's) comfort.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for smaller screens or is it just not screenspace economically viable to make smaller high quality televisions any more? Or should I direct my attention to a good monitor?

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017

So having spent a couple of hours comparing BF1 between the X HDR10 vs PC DV, I'd say DV game is laggier, at least a frame or so extra, liveable but it is there.

The picture is lovely using DV for sure, not so much with colour, but more in looking balanced, with no clipping anywhere in sight, and you can really see where HDR10 overbrightens even with DTM.

Something is very odd when at 1080p though, looks more like 720p, it's the strangest thing.....and I reckon your artifacts are probably from your cable, dark1x had issues when gaming with DV too, had to use a shorter lead, guessing bandwidth is absolutely maxed when combing everything together.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So I was looking to get an LG C9, possibly with a nice black friday deal, but I saw the smallest model is a 55inch. Coming from a 32inch Sharp Aquis in a modest living room, this is HUGE and takes up way too much space for my (and undoubtedly my gf's) comfort.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for smaller screens or is it just not screenspace economically viable to make smaller high quality televisions any more? Or should I direct my attention to a good monitor?

lg is bringing out a 48"oled next year. Anything smaller for 4K just wouldn't make any sense and 1080 screens are a thing of the past unless some very cheap 32" fisher price TVs.

When I upgraded to a 55" years ago, it took couple of days to get used to it (unless there are physical size issues such as small cabinets, furniture etc) and I'm now on a 65 oled e9 and looking to go even bigger next year for the next gen consoles.

Get a 55" somewhere with a good return policy and check it out for a week or so. Trust me, you will get used to it very quickly.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
question regarding HDR game mode, on a LG B7A, OLED, PS4pro

Is HDR by definition supposed to make the colors more vibrant and a wider color output ? Or is it more real shadows and real sunlight? Because ive been trying to enjoy Death Stranding and the lighting looks amazing.. However, the colors are a bit washed out compared to when HDR is turned off. I would like the same green on the ground with HDR on, ? Or is that just the intended color when HDR is turned on (maybe I just wanna think this to tell myself my tv isnt messed up? I have the ps4 HDR settings calibrated. I just followed the instructions for black and white and assume it is proper, the game itself has no HDR settings aside from on or off and luminosity which i increased a bit. My B7A has minimal HDR settings, Color is 50-60. tint is 0, dynamic contrast is on for a bit brighter.

What am i missing? My tv is rated for good hdr i think. Are the intended HDR colors really that washed out ? I tried Shadow of the Colossus and Spider Man and the colors just seem to pop a lot more with the HDR off on this oled tv. I hope anyone has some thoughts or ideas. I have seen other folks looking for Death Stranding HDR information as well.

I am kinda torn atm with which to play it on, On one hand the HDR lighting in the cave looks amazing in game, It looks real. The rain looks amazing in it, On the other, the colors and green pop a lot more with HDR off. I wish HDR could be on as well as the colors being that good and vibrant.
To me, I think this is how HDR has always looked like generally. The overall picture looks more "realistic" to me while SDR has this unnatural "game-y" look in most games that seems too vibrant. The problem is, some people like the more vibrant look as opposed to what seems like "muted" colors of HDR, so they end up questioning whether HDR is working as intended or not.

This is on an LCD by the way, Samsung KS9000.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017

55" is a good size for most people. Especially when you know that your room is small.

Don't listen to people on here. They will ALWAYS tell you to go bigger, get a 65".

Oct 27, 2017

Well one thing to take into account. Is that these tvs have no bezel some compared to the tvs from 8-9 years ago and the screens are just a few cm thick.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I might sound like an idiot here but I miss Android on my old Sony TV compared to WebOS on my B8. Loved having like a proper home menu and the benefit of chromecast being built it was a nice benefit too.
Yeah, I cast from my iPhone or PC to my TV all the time since it's so painless so it's nice having it built in.
I've also found it much faster ever since the last big overhaul, which was by far my biggest problem with it on the previous versions of Android TV, since Android has generally gotten the new apps I've used very quickly.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

I don't know what kind of space you're working with, but if you're sitting 5+ ft away then you'll get used to the size and will never go back down. My buddy wanted a 55" inch TV for his living room, but the store screwed up and gave him a 65" by mistake. He was sure his wife wouldn't like it, but they decided to try it out before returning it. 6 months later they still have the TV.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
To me, I think this is how HDR has always looked like generally. The overall picture looks more "realistic" to me while SDR has this unnatural "game-y" look in most games that seems too vibrant. The problem is, some people like the more vibrant look as opposed to what seems like "muted" colors of HDR, so they end up questioning whether HDR is working as intended or not.

This is on an LCD by the way, Samsung KS9000.
thank you for this, I got some help in the HDR games analyzed thread as well.

After some time playing, i can agree that death stranding HDR game mode is the most realistic it can be. The colors are vibrant when they need to be. I was looking at rainy cloudy area when judging the colors at first.

I love the HDR look for sure because the lights look amazing from the machines in Horizon and Death Stranding,

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Iam very impressed. Cable TV / low quality content is maybe more suitable on Sony TVs because of the better upscaling / image processing, but in all other areas the C9 is just superior (well it should be for the price).
LGs trumotion surprised me, its pretty good. Soccer for example looks for me as good as on Sony TVs with their motionflow.
WebOS is just sooooo much better than android, its really well thought out and fast. Gamingwise, its unfair to compare, because 7-13ms + VRR + great HDR + perfect blacks is just a different ballpark.

Last but not least, i won the panel lottery. The Panel of my 65C9 is sublime, i do not see any banding, DSE, dead pixels in any content i have watched so far. I hope it will last long.

Hey. I have a 65" XF9005 myself and although I don't plan to get an OLED (primarily because of potential burn in issues) I am curious about the jump from the XF9005 to a C9, so thanks for your impressions. Would you say the jump in image quality like a night and day difference? Of course OLEDs have the superior blacks, but when it comes to HDR and overall brightness I understand that the Sony is brighter with higher peak brightness. How would you personally compare it?

I'm really happy with the XF but when reading this thread or related threads, everyone seems to be going on about the C9 and how amazing it is, and it kind of makes me I guess regret my purchase? I don't know. I guess I need some sort of assurance about the image quality differences and that I didn't make a mistake., ha.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hey. I have a 65" XF9005 myself and although I don't plan to get an OLED (primarily because of potential burn in issues) I am curious about the jump from the XF9005 to a C9, so thanks for your impressions. Would you say the jump in image quality like a night and day difference? Of course OLEDs have the superior blacks, but when it comes to HDR and overall brightness I understand that the Sony is brighter with higher peak brightness. How would you personally compare it?

I'm really happy with the XF but when reading this thread or related threads, everyone seems to be going on about the C9 and how amazing it is, and it kind of makes me I guess regret my purchase? I don't know. I guess I need some sort of assurance about the image quality differences and that I didn't make a mistake., ha.

Watching movies and series in a dark room, esp. dolby vision, is a night and day difference. I personally think infinite contrast is way more important for HDR than insane levels of peak brightness.
You know it when you see space scenes with stars, it sucks you in every time.

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
Well one thing to take into account. Is that these tvs have no bezel some compared to the tvs from 8-9 years ago and the screens are just a few cm thick.

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Yes, I took this in consideration. It still seems huge standing here with a measuring tape, haha.

I guess I'll check out what 55inch looks like in a store, because I just can't properly imagine it here. No restrictions on cabinet size or anything like that, so in theory it's no problem placing it.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Which new tech was said to be the follow up of QLED and OLED? Wasn't it the mini - LED? Definitely curious about how all of that will end up, because the best of both worlds would be superb. The fantastic and constant black levels of OLED and zero blooming and what not. And the peak brightness of QLED.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which new tech was said to be the follow up of QLED and OLED? Wasn't it the mini - LED? Definitely curious about how all of that will end up, because the best of both worlds would be superb. The fantastic and constant black levels of OLED and zero blooming and what not. And the peak brightness of QLED.

Here's an HDTVTest video about the TCL mini-led set

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

You are probably thinking of MicroLED, which is still a long ways off. QD-OLED is another possible successor that is under development.

MiniLED is basically an evolution of the existing FALD LCD technology that could allow for larger numbers of local dimming zones. However it is not going to give per-pixel control like OLED.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Re comparing HDR and SDR - it is worth noting that most TVs offer more accurate SDR presets than HDR out of the box. If you properly calibrate HDR it blows SDR away in games (if implemented correctly). One of the best things about Sony TVs (well at least the more recent ones) is you only have to calibrate SDR and it works out HDR from that. Very helpful. LG still require manual calibration.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

microLED would be it, basically each pixel would be its own FALD zone. Its still 5-10+ years off and its not even certain it can ever reach mass production status.

Basically the "next" tech in high end TVs is OLED improvements, because there is still a lot of room for improvement and growth. LG will be bringing big updates in their C11 lines probably. Samsung is also entering the OLED market next year or the year after with their own take on OLED, which going by the excellent quality of their phone OLED screens, it should push LG to actually try to compete.