• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think next year TV will be better in term of motion interpolation ?

The main issue i saw here and there on Oled is 30 fps contents can be horrendus. And if you use Motion Interpolation you get artifact and big input lag.
On the other hand, Samsung Qleds have nice input lag with Motion interpolation, maybe less artifact than Oled ? But it's not a Oled and you get all the cons from LCD. Except maybe the Q90R but which is sometimes pricer than Oled...

Probably not, it's just how OLED's work. The motion settings aren't available in game mode due to adding input lag. The technique also adds artifacting on both the Samsung and OLED's, so it's not something I would want to rely on even with 0 input lag.

But if possible, I'd try for yourself. I've got a 144Hz IPS monitor here as well as my C9 and I barely notice the difference on 30fps games unless I go out of my way to look for it

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Probably not, it's just how OLED's work. The motion settings aren't available in game mode due to adding input lag. The technique also adds artifacting on both the Samsung and OLED's, so it's not something I would want to rely on even with 0 input lag.

But if possible, I'd try for yourself. I've got a 144Hz IPS monitor here as well as my C9 and I barely notice the difference on 30fps games unless I go out of my way to look for it

Thank you, which monitor do you use ? I have too an IPS 144HZ 1080p, the AOC 24G2, it's my first 144Hz monitor. Response time may be higher than a C9 for example but when i play on 30 fps, i can see stuttering/judder for example when i look the environment (trees) and doing 360° movement, not even fast. But when i put 40 FPS, it's better, nice motion blur.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I bet, but I mostly asked if everything was cool in the end with the rtings.com settings calibration. You first said it looked like a bad hdr capture so that had me concerned since I was about to use the same settings.

No that was momentarily when I booted the PS4. The RTings settings are fine, if a bit on the dim side.

Fixuis

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Trying to pull the trigger on the 2019 LG oled C9 but have been reading concerns about burn in and screen judder and stutter when watching movies? Has any current C9 owner experienced any of this?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, which monitor do you use ? I have too an IPS 144HZ 1080p, the AOC 24G2, it's my first 144Hz monitor. Response time may be higher than a C9 for example but when i play on 30 fps, i can see stuttering/judder for example when i look the environment (trees) and doing 360° movement, not even fast. But when i put 40 FPS, it's better, nice motion blur.

Asus PG279Q. I can see judder too on it, but OLED is supposed to handle it worse and that's where I can't see much of a difference just comparing between the two.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, that's good to hear! Would you say you have your TV in a bright room? RTings seems to indicate that the OLED B9 excels in darker rooms. Might be a reason why the settings for you seems somewhat dim.

I always turn my lights down, but it does look a little dim on isfExpert Dark Room. Luckily there's a Bright Room setting.

Those deep shadows, those colors... *_*

Switch_v85

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, England
Vicent Teoh added this comment to the bottom his YouTube review for the B9.

"Despite rumours to the contrary, LG engineers have verbally informed us that the B9 is capable of 4K@120Hz in HDR (especially important for gamers). However, due to the lack of true HDMI 2.1 sources at the moment, there is no way we could verify their claim."

Sounds like it'll be able to do 4K 120hz HDR after all.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Eh what? I have no idea obviously... OLEDs are not optimal for 30FPS games? I'm a console only gamer on my TV, and 30FPS games are the norm, right? And we have to see what developers make of the power of the next gen consoles in a year.

Is it a bad idea to get an OLED then?

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Eh what? I have no idea obviously... OLEDs are not optimal for 30FPS games? I'm a console only gamer on my TV, and 30FPS games are the norm, right? And we have to see what developers make of the power of the next gen consoles in a year.

Is it a bad idea to get an OLED then?

Not at all. Really most aren't going to notice it and it's motion with 30FPS sources such as games is still a damn sight better than most other TVs. I've own the C8 now for a year and as a primary console gamer, it's been a complete dream for me.

Switch_v85

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, England
You might notice some slight judder when panning the camera in certain 30fps games but for the most part it's not much of an issue. I certainly wouldn't say it's bad, I've hardly noticed it in the games I've played.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
ok, thanks! I'm not very sensitive to framerates, so I'll be good I guess.
I mean, I play on a 2011 Samsung LCD, it can't be worse than that lol. (It served me very well though)

I think I would prefer the Samsungs for the external connect box only, but they are much more expensive. It's probably cheaper to extend the cable channels in the wall than buying the Samsung Q90R lol.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
IIRC the default values for game mode are pretty good for the most part.

I would turn on HGIG under the dynamic tone mapping options on the latest firmware. Color temperature is a matter of personal preference; the normal argument of "use Warm 1 / 2 because that is the standard for film mastering" doesn't apply to games, so use whatever looks best to you.
Right on HGIG but wrong on colour temperature.

Games are mastered to 6500k just as films are. Weird you don't think they would work to a standard.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Quick question I'm hoping someone can help with: I recently got the Samsung Q90R and was thinking of getting the Q90 surround sound system for it. For the hookup, do you just plug it into the HDMI port that has ARC and that's it and it'll work for all inputs? Or do you have to feed the input through the sound bar in order for it to work in which case only one input would get the sound? I left the HDMI port with ARC unused for now so I'm hoping the first method I mentioned is the way it is. Thanks.

Vardhan

Oct 27, 2017
Had a question or two regarding the two 65" C9 models that LG is offering.

LG, Best Buy, and other places are offering the OLED65C9PUA version for $2,100. This is said to be WISA ready.

Costco is offering the OLED65C9AUA version for $2,050 with 3 years of SquareTrade warranty included. This is said not to be WISA ready.

Which offer is worth pursuing? Is it worth getting a WISA ready TV?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had a question or two regarding the two 65" C9 models that LG is offering.

LG, Best Buy, and other places are offering the OLED65C9PUA version for $2,100. This is said to be WISA ready.

Costco is offering the OLED65C9AUA version for $2,050 with 3 years of SquareTrade warranty included. This is said not to be WISA ready.

Which offer is worth pursuing? Is it worth getting a WISA ready TV?

Are you planning on getting a wireless Dolby Atmos sound system ever? You still need to buy a WiSA dongle on the "ready" version too.

Personally, the wireless isn't worth it for the price difference in those sound systems, I'd rather just run a wire. But if you're against wire mess, then get that one.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Spending thanksgiving at my mother's. Got to see my old panny plasma. Still majestic as ever!

That thing still kicks ass! Those viewing angles, the blacks without crushing and smooth motion. Here's to you Panasonic plasma!

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question I'm hoping someone can help with: I recently got the Samsung Q90R and was thinking of getting the Q90 surround sound system for it. For the hookup, do you just plug it into the HDMI port that has ARC and that's it and it'll work for all inputs? Or do you have to feed the input through the sound bar in order for it to work in which case only one input would get the sound? I left the HDMI port with ARC unused for now so I'm hoping the first method I mentioned is the way it is. Thanks.

From what I understand yes that should work and the sound bar has two inputs itself so that means you can have 5 sources total. I think wireless connection between the TV and soundbar is also an option? I thought they were meant to work like that.

InfiniteCats

Oct 25, 2017
Not here, and the C9 offer was some bullshit pickup in some store far away. Won't happen so keeping the B9 order.
Probably just out of stock. I managed to sneak in an order for the 65C9 this morning at Elkjøp, but delivery is in mid January. It might be worth refreshing the page since when I intially checked it was only available for local pickup, but when I checked again a few minutes later it was available for order.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Probably just out of stock. I managed to sneak in an order for the 65C9 this morning at Elkjøp, but delivery is in mid January. It might be worth refreshing the page since when I intially checked it was only available for local pickup, but when I checked again a few minutes later it was available for order.
Damn. Now it just says not available, so I guess that was it. Thanks anyway.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
From what I understand yes that should work and the sound bar has two inputs itself so that means you can have 5 sources total. I think wireless connection between the TV and soundbar is also an option? I thought they were meant to work like that.

oh awesome thank you. Since it has its own HDMI inputs I wasn't sure if devices needed to be fed through it in order to use the sound bar so that sounds great!

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I've been struggling to find a good TV just for watching TV and playing video games. But thanks to the OP I think the TV I want to buy now is X900F which I believe is the best choice for what I want to do with it and not a bad price.

Do you guys think it matters where I buy my TV from? Last time I bought my TV I bought it straight from Sony but I am thinking that I want to just by the X900F from Amazon with a 3 year warranty. Any thoughts on the TV choice or TV/warranty store to purchase from?

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
I just picked up the Panasonic FZ950c, anybody have have some calibration tips? My house is very bright as I windows wrap around the whole main floor (where the TV is set up). My issue is that the display seems a tad too dark, pretty sure with the proper settings it'll resolve the issue.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked up the Panasonic FZ950c, anybody have have some calibration tips? My house is very bright as I windows wrap around the whole main floor (where the TV is set up). My issue is that the display seems a tad too dark, pretty sure with the proper settings it'll resolve the issue.

chuck It in cinema/ISF/expert mode (have a quick google to fine the ones that's best out of the box), then you should just need to tweak the OLED light setting (or equivalent) to get a brightness you're comfortable with. Maybe turn off some of the motion/extra processing bits

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'Ve noticed something weird with my new TCL 55" Series 6 TV...

I have my PC plugged in one of the HDMI port as a third monitor, an HDMI switch in the other HDMI and finally my NVIDIA Shield in the ARC HDMI port.

Everything is working fine overall but I have noticed that about 20min or so after I turn off the TV (ie: Before going to be at night), my other two PC monitors will go completely dark for like 1 sec and come back to normal. They'll do that twice in a row and then everything is back to normal.

The monitors are not actually turning off because Windows is still seeing them throughout the blackout, the windows are not moving around, primary monitor is not changing, etc.

Anybody else has seen that before and knows how to fix it?

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quick question for anyone who can help:

Does an AVR introduce additional input lag when passing the PS4 through it? I'm about to set up my new home theater with a Denon x1500 and I'm worried about that.

Been also reading that the receiver stops outputting image all together because of the Deep Color output settings on the PS4.

Some people are connecting their PS4's directly to the TV and using ARC back to the receiver in these cases.

Anyone else with AVR receivers and consoles?

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Does anyone have experience with a Vizio Quantum M or a Sony X950? The price difference is pretty big between the two but they seem similar on rtings. I am a noob when it comes to TVs.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have experience with a Vizio Quantum M or a Sony X950? The price difference is pretty big between the two but they seem similar on rtings. I am a noob when it comes to TVs.

I don't know about Sony's higher end models, but my X850D is a slog software wise and no local dimming. I know the 900 series are praised for better panel performance but idk about software.

Vizio sounds like they were able to offer great performance at low prices by subsidizing their costs selling user data. So ... Lol

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question for anyone who can help:

Does an AVR introduce additional input lag when passing the PS4 through it? I'm about to set up my new home theater with a Denon x1500 and I'm worried about that.

Been also reading that the receiver stops outputting image all together because of the Deep Color output settings on the PS4.

Some people are connecting their PS4's directly to the TV and using ARC back to the receiver in these cases.

Anyone else with AVR receivers and consoles?

If you're using the AVR to add any video processing, yes it will add lag

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
I don't know about Sony's higher end models, but my X850D is a slog software wise and no local dimming. I know the 900 series are praised for better panel performance but idk about software.

Vizio sounds like they were able to offer great performance at low prices by subsidizing their costs selling user data. So ... Lol
Thanks for the reply. The reports of a sluggish GUI and software slog with ads discouraged me from purchasing a Samsung.

The person who will be using this TV will mainly be using it to watch tennis and movies, so as long as there isn't a webcam then they won't get much info from the user data.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
So after a day of looking at a lot of stuff and browsing I think I will bite the bullet on the X900F. Still feel antsy/worried about it cause I am worried I'll shell out the money for it and end up disappointed with the purchase whether that be due to software, input lag for games, response time for games, or just lacking in some other area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I want more small-ish (43-49") sets to be announced that have 120hz and 1440p support. I'm going to build my first computer next year and I want a TV for my office (on my desk) that will do it justice