• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy has one and I've spent a lot of time with it. Unless you're in an extremely light controlled room (aka a black box with no light) it's a beast. Really nice color, surprisingly good contrast for an LED, motion handling is top notch, etc. I'm not a fan of the Sony interface but I'm sure it's one of those things you'll get used to (or use an ATV4K).
Awesome. Glad to get an impression with someone who has spent time with it. If I don't get used to the Sony interface then I'll just use something else as you mentioned.

Good stuff! Let us know what you think when it arrives.
Thanks, I will!

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
That all disappeared once the movie started - it continues to amaze me how much the scale of seeing something projected at 120" can overcome the PQ differences. To be fair, it was a $10k projector when it released... but if one looked at the specs today, they'd dismiss it out of hand. I've said it before, but despite my projector being worse on paper than my TV, the experience viewing it is significantly more engaging.
A truer statement has never been made.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Is it passe to get a 1080p tv now?

Saw a new 40" one for $100 CAD ($75 USD) that I was thinking for my bedroom.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Hmmm, is it just me or is The Mandalorian not so great when it comes to the HDR? Watching on my Xbox One X with the same HDR settings I use for the games.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished watching my Pacific Rim UHD copy.

That film is absolutely gorgeous.
The Honk Kong scene was... Phew. The detail, clarity and colors.

I remember watching the blu ray copy a while ago and the night scenes were rough. It was quite hard to discern everything.

Of course my shitty XBP 700 player crapped out one time, but I don't think I'll get a new player. I'll just wait for the PS5.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, is it just me or is The Mandalorian not so great when it comes to the HDR? Watching on my Xbox One X with the same HDR settings I use for the games.

mandalorian is terrible. HDTV test did a video recently using Evil Boris's HDR filter thingy and it was barely Going over SDR levels. But because it's flagged as HDR that can actually make to look worse than SDR depending how bright you have your SDR mode setup

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yeahhhhh, I'm not sure on streaming. 4K and HDR blown up on 100" with video compression? Feels like it would be highly susceptible to noticeable image degradation.
LOL hell yeah it would. People also have to consider the larger the screen the higher light output the projector needs to have. Biggest mistake I see when people go projector is they get a screen that is too big for their projector. I have seen it where the screen is too big that the projector cannot hit 234 white. Had to make it smaller and it then delivered the entire video range.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
LOL hell yeah it would. People also have to consider the larger the screen the higher light output the projector needs to have. Biggest mistake I see when people go projector is they get a screen that is too big for their projector. I have seen it where the screen is too big that the projector cannot hit 234 white. Had to make it smaller and it then delivered the entire video range.

how would you know ahead of time which screen size is optimal? I know little about projectors (but apparently I'm now getting one)

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Got a b9 and noticed overscan in the desktop when using a pc what do I do to fix that? Gsync registered instantly. Screenshift off doesn't totally fix it so what else is at play there?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
mandalorian is terrible. HDTV test did a video recently using Evil Boris's HDR filter thingy and it was barely Going over SDR levels. But because it's flagged as HDR that can actually make to look worse than SDR depending how bright you have your SDR mode setup

What a shame. So it's better to just disable HDR for this one then.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, this tcl 5 series is legit. It looks really nice too, nearly bezeless.

Dolby Vision content looks absolutely ace on it. It's honestly not that far off from my b7.

I was watching some college football and I actually think it may have a better scaler than the b7.

the only issue really is that the 43 version does not seem to have the motion settings that the 55 inch does.

I had wanted to try out some 60hz interpolation on some games but I guess that's a no go.

ah well, it's a great bedroom set anyway.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm soon going to be switching to an LG C9, and instead of plugging my devices into the TV, then basically using the TV as a switcher to send sound to a soundbar via ARC, I'm going to be using an eARC enabled reciever and just having the one HDMI between that and the TV. Now the only thing that's a mental hangup at the moment is I'm going form having settings for each HDMI input to just having one. I know I'll probably lose out on ALLM due to the receiver (dennon s750h) only having HDMI 2.1 features and not full fledged HDMI 2.1, but could I just enable game mode across the board and be fine? It wouldn't negatively effect say running the on TV Youtube or Netflix, right?

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, 1080p still has years of use still in it. But at 40" I would avoid getting one and instead getting something smaller like 32" or an uber cheap 4k TV at that 40+ inch size.
1080p 32in TVs are a rare beast these days. For whatever reason, they tend to be overpriced (over $200 outside of the big TV sales seasons) with limited availability in stores. It seems like 40in is the new 32in, at least according to the TV manufacturers.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Hey Frank is in here too! It's like actual Era thanksgiving where you come home to the tv thread and see all your old friends!

how would you know ahead of time which screen size is optimal? I know little about projectors (but apparently I'm now getting one)
And GearDraxon and I got Bumrush a thanksgiving present and it is the encouragement to spend more money on his home theater. What a great present!

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so the good news is I figured out why I wasn't hearing anything from the headphone jack on my TCL 6 series...I was a dumbass and didn't actually have the cord plugged into the audio out jack. So that problem is solved.

Unfortunately, for some reason it's only piping audio to one of my headphone speakers (the left speaker) and not the other. This isn't a problem when I connect the headphones to other audio sources, just the TV. I have no idea what's wrong.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Frank is in here too! It's like actual Era thanksgiving where you come home to the tv thread and see all your old friends!

Lmao it does feel nice to have everyone back home for the holidays!

And honestly, the 88" 8K OLED Route was going to cost me waaaaaaaaay more in a couple years so if anything you saved me money (until next year when I ask for advice on my first computer build)

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
The 4-est of Ks! Honestly I am confident that whenever Ampere ships it'll still blow both next gen consoles outta the water. I'll still get a ps5 bc Sony has no plans to put their games on PC, but other than that, I remain convinced PC is the best place to play if you love 4K and HDR.

7nm will be a perfect time for me to jump in and futureproof (as much as possible with tech) myself for a few years. Also, completely agree re: PlayStation. I'm heavily invested into so many of their franchises that I'll ALWAYS buy the next PlayStation console.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
7nm will be a perfect time for me to jump in and futureproof (as much as possible with tech) myself for a few years. Also, completely agree re: PlayStation. I'm heavily invested into so many of their franchises that I'll ALWAYS buy the next PlayStation console.
Yeah and the thing I like with GPUs is they hold value decently well so you can incrementally upgrade as you go; e.g. if you start at an XX70 and wanna move to an XX80Ti a couple years later your GPU will still have decent value to resell and upgrade. I'm bias, and definitely PC can be a bit finicky at times, but the trade offs are more than worth it.

And I'm 100% there for a PS5. I love uncharted, HZD, last of us, lots of PS stuff. I could never forego those games. I actually should replay UC4. It's one of the most visually impressive games I've played and that was right before I got my OLED so i didn't even play in 4K and hdr.

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
So finally pulled the trigger and got a new TV during the Black Friday sales (55" Sony X950G)
Should be a major upgrade from my 2009 42" LG LED TV which, to be fair, it's working just fine and has been a champ for the last 10 years with zero issues but I figured it was finally time to upgrade and get 4K.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and the thing I like with GPUs is they hold value decently well so you can incrementally upgrade as you go; e.g. if you start at an XX70 and wanna move to an XX80Ti a couple years later your GPU will still have decent value to resell and upgrade. I'm bias, and definitely PC can be a bit finicky at times, but the trade offs are more than worth it.

And I'm 100% there for a PS5. I love uncharted, HZD, last of us, lots of PS stuff. I could never forego those games. I actually should replay UC4. It's one of the most visually impressive games I've played and that was right before I got my OLED so i didn't even play in 4K and hdr.

Have you played Uncharted The Lost Legacy? It's criminally underrated and it's GORGEOUS

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Have you played Uncharted The Lost Legacy? It's criminally underrated and it's GORGEOUS
I played prolly 30 mins and dropped it and it's for sure bc I was just in a weird mood at the time and haven't gone back. I'm sure I would love it. I will add it to the list behind fallen order, which I will play, if I ever do anything ever again other than hunt animals in red dead 2.

It's a sickness. Honestly.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Am I good to put my 4K UHD player on NOT an enhanced port on my 900F? The enhanced 2/3 ports that you enable in the settings are only for things that hit 4K 60 right? I mean most BRs and movies are 24hz so it should be fine? It seems to be as I'm watching it lol.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Well you don't know until you decide on a projector. Generally how it works though is say you have a screen that is at 100% brightness for the smaller screen. As you increase screen size 20" diagonally you loose 1/4 brightness. So if you go from 100" to 120" you drop 25% in brightness because it has to cover more area with the same light output.

Generally if you stay within 100-106 to 120 you are fine as long as you have a sufficient amount of lumens. You also have to consider light control & ambient light, screen size and gain, position of projector, type of projector technology, seating distance, etc. All of this and more will ultimately help you determine the projector you would get, and then from there you decide on the screen.

And GearDraxon and I got Bumrush a thanksgiving present and it is the encouragement to spend more money on his home theater. What a great present!
Lmao it does feel nice to have everyone back home for the holidays!

And honestly, the 88" 8K OLED Route was going to cost me waaaaaaaaay more in a couple years so if anything you saved me money (until next year when I ask for advice on my first computer build)

It's the season of giving! So we building a PC next? Open Loop? Closed Loop? We over clocking?

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I played prolly 30 mins and dropped it and it's for sure bc I was just in a weird mood at the time and haven't gone back. I'm sure I would love it. I will add it to the list behind fallen order, which I will play, if I ever do anything ever again other than hunt animals in red dead 2.

It's a sickness. Honestly.

LOL that's me with Rocket League. Every time I go to play something new the allure of riding around in a little rocket powered car calls me...

Well you don't know until you decide on a projector. Generally how it works though is say you have a screen that is at 100% brightness for the smaller screen. As you increase screen size 20" diagonally you loose 1/4 brightness. So if you go from 100" to 120" you drop 25% in brightness because it has to cover more area with the same light output.

Generally if you stay within 100-106 to 120 you are fine as long as you have a sufficient amount of lumens. You also have to consider light control & ambient light, screen size and gain, position of projector, type of projector technology, seating distance, etc. All of this and more will ultimately help you determine the projector you would get, and then from there you decide on the screen.

It's the season of giving! So we building a PC next? Open Loop? Closed Loop? We over clocking?

Thanks re: the projector! I'd probably do something in the 110" range, most 4K projectors have at least 2k lumens and my theater area can be completely blacked out, but I'll do better research obviously before I buy.

Regarding the computer, I really don't know yet but I'll definitely try OC it! I'll mainly care about noise and that it's disturbingly powerful so I can run things at the highest levels. Glad you're on board to help out too!!

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Regarding the computer, I really don't know yet but I'll definitely try OC it! I'll mainly care about noise and that it's disturbingly powerful so I can run things at the highest levels. Glad you're on board to help out too!!

Well I've only ever built with a prebuilt cpu cooler; Corsair H stuff, and I read that generally speaking, Turing stuff had considerably lower overhead than previous gens, so water cooling would potentially net you a lot less over clocking headroom than it had previously (not sure if that's true).

Frank I didn't realize you were a pc builder also! How exciting.

the nice thing about building for a home theater is you can generally get away with a bit more noise, since it's in a tv stand and not right next to your head on a desktop. Still, heat/ventilation can definitely be a concern.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Well I've only ever built with a prebuilt cpu cooler; Corsair H stuff, and I read that generally speaking, Turing stuff had considerably lower overhead than previous gens, so water cooling would potentially net you a lot less over clocking headroom than it had previously (not sure if that's true).

the nice thing about building for a home theater is you can generally get away with a bit more noise, since it's in a tv stand and not right next to your head on a desktop. Still, heat/ventilation can definitely be a concern.

Wait! I forgot to tell you. I'd like for it to be 'reasonably' portable (aka able to be carried easily around the house) because my office - where it will be most of the time - is 2 stories above my theater - where it will be part of the time.

Dez

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm soon going to be switching to an LG C9, and instead of plugging my devices into the TV, then basically using the TV as a switcher to send sound to a soundbar via ARC, I'm going to be using an eARC enabled reciever and just having the one HDMI between that and the TV. Now the only thing that's a mental hangup at the moment is I'm going form having settings for each HDMI input to just having one. I know I'll probably lose out on ALLM due to the receiver (dennon s750h) only having HDMI 2.1 features and not full fledged HDMI 2.1, but could I just enable game mode across the board and be fine? It wouldn't negatively effect say running the on TV Youtube or Netflix, right?
You shouldn't enable game mode across the board. Get yourself a harmony hub and set up activities. Then you can set a macro that switches it to game mode automatically when you choose gaming activities. If your receiver has two HDMI outputs then you can also route one to an input that has game mode on, the other to one that doesn't, and skip the macro.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
You shouldn't enable game mode across the board. Get yourself a harmony hub and set up activities. Then you can set a macro that switches it to game mode automatically when you choose gaming activities. If your receiver has two HDMI outputs then you can also route one to an input that has game mode on, the other to one that doesn't, and skip the macro.
Thanks for the suggestion, funny enough, I was thinking about the harmony hub with the rewards I'm getting back from Best Buy, so I'll look into that more.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Anyone here that uses an older non-4k/60hz AV receiver with a 4k TV, for a gaming/HTPC setup.

I have a Yamaha RX-V373 which has a max pass-through resolution of 4k/30hz, and trying to look into my options.

From what I understand these are:
  • Run two HDMI lines from the GPU (GTX 1070) - one to the TV and another one to the receiver and configure windows audio settings accordingly
    • Drawback: (From what I read) If I clone the screens, the driver will force me to use the receiver's max supported res/refresh (lowest common denominator) so TV will also have to output at 4k/30fps. I would really like to avoid using extended screens if possible.
  • Run a single HDMI from the GPU to the TV and then use another HDMI (ARC) from the TV to send audio to the receiver
    • Drawback: Samsungs from 2018 (onwards?) don't seem to support DTS - only Dolby Digital. (source)
  • Get an HDMI audio extractor/splitter (e.g. this one or the HD Fury AVR Key) to send video to the TV and audio to the receiver with separate HDMI cables
    • Drawback: Cost/added complexity to setup (and maybe handshaking issues between devices)
  • Get a new AV receiver
    • Drawback: Cost
So cost-wise it would be preferable to go with one of the first 2 options, but at the same time I wouldn't want to be limited in any way. (i.e. refresh rate OR codec-wise)

Anyone that uses the first config (two HDMI lines - 1 to receiver for audio and 1 to TV for video) successfully, or for that matter, any ideas on how to tackle this?

Of course it would be much easier to just get a new receiver, but after getting a new TV let's just say cash flow is a bit limited at the moment.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here that uses an older non-4k/60hz AV receiver with a 4k TV, for a gaming/HTPC setup.

I have a Yamaha RX-V373 which has a max pass-through resolution of 4k/30hz, and trying to look into my options.

From what I understand these are:
  • Run two HDMI lines from the GPU (GTX 1070) - one to the TV and another one to the receiver and configure windows audio settings accordingly
    • Drawback: (From what I read) If I clone the screens, the driver will force me to use the receiver's max supported res/refresh (lowest denominator) so TV will also have to output at 4k/30fps. I would really like to avoid using extended screens if possible.
  • Run a single HDMI from the GPU to the TV and then use another HDMI (ARC) from the TV to send audio to the receiver
    • Drawback: Samsungs from 2018 (onwards?) don't seem to support DTS - only Dolby Digital. (source)
  • Get an HDMI audio extractor/splitter (e.g. this one or the HD Fury AVR Key) to send video to the TV and audio to the receiver with separate HDMI cables
    • Drawback: Cost/added complexity to setup (and maybe handshaking issues between devices)
  • Get a new AV receiver
    • Drawback: Cost
So cost-wise it would be preferable to go with one of the first 2 options, but at the same time I wouldn't want to be limited in any way. (i.e. refresh rate OR codec-wise)

Anyone that uses the first config (two HDMI lines - 1 to receiver for audio and 1 to TV for video) successfully, or for that matter, any ideas on how to tackle this?

Of course it would be much easier to just get a new receiver, but after getting a new TV let's just say cash flow is a bit limited at the moment.

Run 2 lines and extend the screen rather than clone it and out the reciever "screen" to the corner of the main one in Windows so you can't move the mouse to it easily. There's also a third party app to lock to the single screen when doing this if it doesn't work, but I don't have the link handy.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Run 2 lines and extend the screen rather than clone it and out the reciever "screen" to the corner of the main one in Windows so you can't move the mouse to it easily. There's also a third party app to lock to the single screen when doing this if it doesn't work, but I don't have the link handy.

Hmm...ok I'll test this and see how it goes.

Thanks man.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
LOL that's me with Rocket League. Every time I go to play something new the allure of riding around in a little rocket powered car calls me...
Yuuuup. I'm not someone who plays any one game for that much time, but RL has gotten me for hundreds of hours because "well, maybe I'll win the NEXT match..."
the nice thing about building for a home theater is you can generally get away with a bit more noise, since it's in a tv stand and not right next to your head on a desktop.
Mine is way over in a corner of the room, hiding behind a subwoofer. I set all the fans to a static "quiet enough to be not-annoying, but fast enough to keep things from crashing" level, and now I don't worry about it getting louder and quieter based on load.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Yeah I'm already thinking about my next build. Waiting to see what happens with Intel CPU's and Ampere cards as well as PCIe 4. So my next build probably won't be until mid to late next year depending on what happens with everything released but what I have right now will carry me well into next year. I have a i9 9900K @ 4.9 Ghz all cores, 2080ti Kingpin @ 2200 Mhz, 970 Pro m.2 drives, as well as an addition m.2 drive for games, 64gb DDR4 @ 3600 Mhz, all water cooled. So I'm good, and technically don't have to upgrade...but I want to.

Next year is going to be expensive but fun. Between upgrading my 77 C8 to a 10 series when those release, and possibly moving the A9F to bedroom and getting something to replace it in office, 2 scarletts, and 2 ps5's, and making a new build for PC it will be fun times. Also I think I'm going to finally buy a Klein K10A. That is a maybe though. I need to think on that one for awhile.

Oh also if you know anyone that is interested I'm selling a Video Forge Pro as well. Going to post it on AVS later on in the for sale thread but might as well mention it here also lol

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm already thinking about my next build. Waiting to see what happens with Intel CPU's and Ampere cards as well as PCIe 4. So my next build probably won't be until mid to late next year depending on what happens with everything released but what I have right now will carry me well into next year. I have a i9 9900K @ 4.9 Ghz all cores, 2080ti Kingpin @ 2200 Mhz, 970 Pro m.2 drives, as well as an addition m.2 drive for games, 64gb DDR4 @ 3600 Mhz, all water cooled. So I'm good, and technically don't have to upgrade...but I want to.

Next year is going to be expensive but fun. Between upgrading my 77 C8 to a 10 series when those release, and possibly moving the A9F to bedroom and getting something to replace it in office, 2 scarletts, and 2 ps5's, and making a new build for PC it will be fun times. Also I think I'm going to finally buy a Klein K10A. That is a maybe though. I need to think on that one for awhile.

Oh also if you know anyone that is interested I'm selling a Video Forge Pro as well. Going to post it on AVS later on in the for sale thread but might as well mention it here also lol

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. You have effectively the best computer money can buy and you're...rebuilding???

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
TVs in my opinion are always crazy expensive, overpriced or not. I'm in canada though, so yeah sadly by default it is more costly than it is in the US. I just don't see how a difference of .6 on their rating system (rtings.com) is worth that much. Then again, I'm ready to put a wooping 1,5k$ on a TV that is rated 8.3 as opposed to my current one that is rated 7.3. Can you believe that's the price of a TV that is currently on sale? Crazy.

If I didn't have some burn-ins in my 6-7 years old Plasma, I'd sure as heck be waiting before investing on a new TV.

As for the black levels, I'm used to a plasma that has a rating of 10 in uniformity, so of course I'm much more inclined to want a OLED due to that, but the price has me go all; Sheeeeeeiit.

I was in the same situation, I had considered between the 75" X900F, Q80R, and 950G. After some research and countless trips to Best Buy, checking several forums we ended up with the 950G even though the set was $700 more than the X900F. I do feel like the set was a bit overpriced a bit, but the picture quality is very nice.

We currently have a 65" X850B that I bought about 4 years ago. It was obviously Sony's mid-tier Bravia at the time with 4K, but a year out before HDR. Now that we have a bit more space in our living room area, I ultimately wish we could go with an 85" but the prices are a bit more than what we wanted to spend. The current 65" will be getting moved into our basement for when the kids have their friends and cousins over.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh ok...I didn't know you played so many games
I try to play a lot but I don't get to play as much as I would like. I tend to have more money than time. Last game I finished was outer worlds. Working on Star Wars now.

Having multiple consoles just makes it convenient if my wife is on my main set up. Or when I'm working from home etc. listening to podcast and playing.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have experience with both Sony 900F and Vizio P Quantum X? Curious how the blooming compares between the two.

I have a chance to sell my 1 year old 65" 900F for almost as much as I can get a new
65" Quantum X.

I've been nothing but disappointed with the Sony since day 1 (and I was coming from a 2017 P607). The blooming on the Sony is TERRIBLE in a lot of content, it's overall much worse than the TCL P607 (in blooming) it replaced (I never noticed blooming issues on the TCL), but the Sony is much brighter than the TCL so there's that.

To make it worse, I've noticed that the Sony has worse VA smearing than other VA panels I've owned. It was pretty distracting at times.

And lastly, Dolby Vision on the Sony doesn't work well with Apple 4KTV, it's noticeably dimmer than it should be, highlights don't get very bright and the overall image is just dark. Regular HDR is fine though. The built in Sony apps display Dolby Vision much brighter and better but that requires me to bypass the Apple TV for Dolby content, which I don't like to do.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
got my 65C9 set up yesterday. Only had a short while to adjust things, update apps etc. Watched the F1, then an episode of BBC 7 continents, one planet (or whatever its called) streaming in UHD HLG which looked amazing. Then watched 'for all mankind' which looked very jerky in panning shots.

Iplayer was using the built in app, FAM was using a connected Apple TV through a receiver. Is there a setting I should check on the apple TV to try and reduce that? It wasn't noticable at all on the BBC show

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just got an update on my C8

Two-Buttons.jpg