• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Hi Era! So I'm looking to buy a TV for myself and one for my Aunt. The TV for me I'm looking for something 4k or higher with a price range of about less than 500 550 max. 3-4 HDMI ports all the bells and whistles for that price range. I'm looking at Samsung TVs or LG.

The other TV I'm looking for is for my Aunt. She went through 3 TV's because she sleeps with them on and they haven't lasted more than 3-4 years. Is it possible to have a TV for such use that is less than 300?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Any reason you're set on Samsung or LG? You'd get a lot more bang for your buck with TCL or Hisense in that price range

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Get a TCL 6 series for yourself unless you watch a lot of sports. LG and Samsungs at this price point aren't great.

OP
OP
Aurizen

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Any reason you're set on Samsung or LG? You'd get a lot more bang for your buck with TCL or Hisense in that price range

I'm not quite familar with TCL brand. How good are they?

Get a TCL 6 series for yourself unless you watch a lot of sports. LG and Samsungs at this price point aren't great.
What TCL do you recommend? I mostly play games and watch shows on my Apple TV. I want the best quality for my money and possibly futureproof.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not quite familar with TCL brand. How good are they?

What TCL do you recommend? I mostly play games and watch shows on my Apple TV. I want the best quality for my money and possibly futureproof.

TCL has kind of cornered the market on great entry level TVs. They've made TVs for a while under generic labels and started using their name. Hisense has also recently stepped their game up. Here's a nice list on RTings, I'd go by this and not mess with anything not on this list. Lots of lemons to be found by cheap store bought TVs. The TCL 5 Series might be worth looking at for your aunt I think it comes in smaller sizes. Also nice is the TCLs have Roku TV built in and works great. You mentioned using an apple TV so maybe not 100% necessary but it's probably the best Smart TV OS

www.rtings.com

The 3 Best TVs Under $500 - Spring 2024: Reviews

The best TV under $500 we've tested is the Hisense 55U7K or Hisense U7K, although its 55-inch size sits just a tad above that amount when not on sale. It's easily the best TV at that price point, with an amazing selection of extra features.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
34pbl8.jpg

Speaking to the cheaper TVs, if she's not too picky I remember buying one for college in 2014 that was like, $200 for a 32" at Target. The value proposition has only gotten better since then.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
For that price range, get the TCL 6 Series

Jim

Oct 27, 2017
Finally retiring my 50" Sony A3000 rear projection basement TV and picked up the TCL 6 Series 55" from Costco @ $399 (Walmart has a similar deal). Very impressed with it, as a secondary 4K/HDR gaming TV in prep for the next gen consoles. Main display is a Samsung KS8000.

OP
OP
Aurizen

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
TCL it is! So how about the other issue? My Aunt needs a TV that won't burn out after being on for long hours? She likes to sleep with the TV on and 2 previous TV's burned out.