• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Almost halfway through Babylon Berlin and this show is fucking legit. I really hope some American critics start reviewing it because goddamn it's good. The plotting is truly labyrinthine. The acting is strong. The characters are layered and painfully human. The music is incredible. The cinematography is lush. This thing is like a period version of The Wire in that it's almost impossibly complex yet full of character and life.

Please, someone watch this show. I might have to make an OT so help me.

I'll watch anything Tom Tykwer puts out, so I'm definitely interested, just haven't had the time to watch it yet. But you had me with period piece Wire :)

Did anyone dive into Waco yet? Giving the subject and actors involved I was very interested, but responses seem mixed. I have a weird interest in cults and the Path was totally not scratching that itch.

Edit: my enthousiasm for historical stuff tells me to watch Britannia and Knightfall, reviews and ratings tell me to stay faaaar away.

Edit: Jesus, there's 6 seasons of the Americans? I stopped watching after the second or third season, not because of disinterest, just didn't get around. Does it keep up the quality?

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Jesus, there's 6 seasons of the Americans? I stopped watching after the second or third season, not because of disinterest, just didn't get around. Does it keep up the quality?

Absolutely, though the most recent season was a bit of a step down because the writers decided to make it one big set up for the final season.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Ah, I see, thanks! Tempting to get back into it then, also if this is the final season. I like closure :)

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I finally got around to Mosaic and it's weird, a good weird mind you but nevertheless weird. You can sort of see the choose-your-own-adventure app origins of it in that it is a lot less linear than what you may be used to, however there still is a cohesive narrative there.
I'm only an episode in so I won't make too much of a judgement on the plot itself, but so far it is fairly standard fare for the genre, well written, well acted, and visually enticing. One of the things that really stuck out to me is that rather flagrantly breaks the 180-degree rule in a scene towards the end of the first episode which is definitely not something you see often in mainstream American TV.

So as far as narrative goes it is nothing special but if you take a formal look at it, it's kind of quietly rebellious with breaks against continuity editing and traditional framing. It bears checking out but I can see how it's not for everyone.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
My odyssey of new shows in February that started airing in January continues with Britannia. It is every bit as competent as you'd expect from the people who decided this would be an appropriate theme tune to the show:

Whereas Mosaic was intentionally breaking convention and creating a less linear narrative Britannia does it through ineptitude. For a show that wants so badly to be Game of Thrones it learned nothing from that show introductory episode. Specifically the bit about it being introductory as in supposed to introduce you to the characters, setting, and plot. Instead the opening episodes spends 30 minutes jumping from location to location, and character to character spending so little time with each that you do not know who or what you are supposed to care about. And I didn't care about anything.

Adding to that is a rafter of decisions that are just downright terrible; let's shoot a good quarter of our first episode with vaseline on the lens, let's have terrible editing not just structurally but also moment to moment (e.g. in action scenes), let's have terrible dialogue, let's have a terrible child actor as one of the main characters, let's use that terrible child actor and try and create a mis-matched road adventure like Arya and The Hound with the two "bantering" with aforementioned terrible dialogue, and then you have how the show handles nudity (only objectifies the women).

It is trash.
It is nonsense.
It is incompetent.
It is worse than Starz' Camelot
And I'm probably going to binge all of it.

Last edited:

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Am I posting another trailer for Collateral just to stan for Carey Mulligan? Well It's that and that it airs on Netflix worldwide on March 9th (unless you're in the UK in which case it's currently airing on BBC 2)

It has gotten positive reviews and I adored David Hare's previous Worricker trilogy.

Oct 28, 2017
Am I posting another trailer for Collateral just to stan for Carey Mulligan? Well It's that and that it airs on Netflix worldwide on March 9th (unless you're in the UK in which case it's currently airing on BBC 2)

It has gotten positive reviews and I adored David Hare's previous Worricker trilogy.

I've watched the first episode and it's good so far, pretty topical with one of the characters working in the Labour party and dealing with the issues of illegal migrants.

Lucky for the bolded part since I missed the second episode and can't use the BBC iPlayer.

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for Legion, I hope I'm able to get a season pass for it on Amazon Instant Video.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Watched 2 more episodes of AP Bio on demand. The show is still finding its footing, but his complete disinterest in teaching them biology and having them do crazy things is funny to me. I'm much more willing to give comedies a chance, as they are only 30 minutes compared to a drama.

Some of the kids are funny as well.

I feel like he's channeling Jeff Winger a bit.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
So Paramount put the first episode of Heathers up on their site and it seems interesting? I'm not sure I would say it is good, but I'm at least considering watching the show when it starts now.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder when we're gonna get a trailer for The City & The City. Supposed to come out this spring on the BBC.

berzeli, work your magic.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching Rellik finally and man, this show is depressing as all hell. The only smiles people let out are in mockery of other people's naivety. I've got to watch something more optimistic after this.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
So Paramount put the first episode of Heathers up on their site and it seems interesting? I'm not sure I would say it is good, but I'm at least considering watching the show when it starts now.

I didn't hate it. It reminded me quite a bit of Scream Queens.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Finally got around to watching Patriot. Binged it in two days. It was really great and the comparison to "In Bruges" is spot on.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I feel like I've started quite the task of going through all of The Americans, The Expanse and The Handmaid's Tale before their new seasons starts. Especially having to go through five seasons of The Americans before the end of March. I'll march through!

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend's been sick, so I finally got her to start watching The Americans. She was a little iffy at the start, but now she's hooked and burned through three seasons in a week or so. It's been fun to revisit for me, too, and enjoyable seeing someone else's reactions to everything.

I never had time for Handmaid's Tale last year, so I have to do that one myself. I'd like to catch up on The Expanse as well, we only got a couple episodes into S2.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Is The Expanse good for someone who isn't inherently interested in hard sci-fi? I watched the first episode maybe a year ago and wasn't really captivated.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Is The Expanse good for someone who isn't inherently interested in hard sci-fi? I watched the first episode maybe a year ago and wasn't really captivated.
Not really.
The first one is the worst episode, but the show itself is fine if you like sci-fi. So if you can make it through the first episode (I did it in two sittings, it really is garbage) maybe try one more. But it's not like you will be missing out on a BSG level show, it's a slightly above average Syfy show with most of what that entails.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Probably when we hit March lol
ZMyk7S1.png

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend's been sick, so I finally got her to start watching The Americans. She was a little iffy at the start, but now she's hooked and burned through three seasons in a week or so. It's been fun to revisit for me, too, and enjoyable seeing someone else's reactions to everything.

Should have recorded her reaction to the suitcase scene...

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Who's hyped about Siren?!?!?!?!?!

In other news, I'm almost caught up on Counterpart, which has been great so far. Hope to get to Sunday's episode tonight if I can.

Also, who's putting up a thread for Atlanta? That premieres on Thursday.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm definitely gonna check out Siren! I'm also 4 episodes behind on Counterpart but I should get back to it this week. I just have about 9 series I'm watching currently. Hopefully I'll get through both The Handmaid's Tale and The Expanse S1 this week. And then there's Jessica Jones S2 next week. And like 5 seasons of The Americans I want to get through before S6 in March.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
For once I will be happy if there's nothing interesting next month. But Jessica Jones is already a definite watch, and I hope to be ready for The Americans too. And then there's Atlanta which I haven't even started watching yet.