• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Whiskey Cavalier reviews are all popping up. They're mixed.
Paste Magazine said:
Whiskey Cavalier truly is the kind of show network TV is made for. It's fun and fluffy, a proper escape. It's not going to create thought-provoking discussions à la Russian Doll, nor is it going have you stressed out watching. The danger, of course, is that there's not enough there to keep people returning each week. But it's an amusing diversion, and in the world we live in, that's kind of nice.
Collider said:
Really, Whiskey Cavalier is just fine as a sleek and diverting story that doesn't ask much of us. Foley and Cohan hit all the right notes in their opposing characters' banter, with Cohan in particular giving a very slyly funny performance (the show has built-in laughs, but Cohan does some small things that take it a little further, adding some notable layers). For the most part, the show keeps things simple and fun. There's no crime in that, though — it's a broadcast formula that has worked a long time, even though its reign seems to be waning. And in that vein, Whiskey Cavalier could turn into a solid procedural for ABC, as both Foley and Cohan have enough charm to see it through its weaker moments. There may not be anything particularly new about what the show does or how it does it, but it checks the right boxes. 3 out of 4 stars
USA Today said:
All flash, very little substance. For some, that will work. But plenty of shows (including CBS's "Elementary") manage to do both. 2 out of 4 stars
TV Guide said:
This is peak filler ABC, a not-so-serious drama that just wants to, like, have a good time and stuff. And that's totally fine! Will you leave it having a greater fundamental understanding of how our federal agencies combat international corruption and terrorism? No! Will you be able to get through three-quarters of a bottle of wine and not think about your sucky job while watching it? Probably! Will you forget about it 15 minutes later? Definitely. And I don't think the show minds any of that.[/qutoe]

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Just watching the latest episode of Posh Hotels with Sally and Nigel on Channel 5 that features Bovey Castle this week where I've stayed a few times.

Nice to see lovely Shaun the footman again.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Some background on "Warrior" in the form of a six-part docu-series on youtube in case anyone is interested. It traces Bruce Lee's path through Hollywood.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Not familiar with the source material, but that cast looks great. Nice to see Dafne Keen in something else since she was great in Logan.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished watching Kingdom tonight and enjoyed it, in for Season 2.

Lot's of palace politics and some interesting twists.

"Your Royal Highness" - had to be the phrase spoken the most

They were really rocking those Pilgrim hats with the feathers back then, huh

Show looked gorgeous with some of the outdoor shots and costumes.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
barry-season-2-poster.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished The Umbrella Academy. Interesting show. I wouldn't call it good, but it was good enough to binge over the weekend. Definitely good enough to look forward to the second season. I hated Ellen Page's character.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I can never for the life of me understand what critics see in Better Things. Like, it's a decent-yet-wholly-unremarkable show about bratty rich people doing things you've already seen a million times before. There is the occasional astute observation on the human condition, but it's mostly just basic fluff propped up by Pamela Adlon's charisma.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I can never for the life of me understand what critics see in Better Things. Like, it's a decent-yet-wholly-unremarkable show about bratty rich people doing things you've already seen a million times before. There is the occasional astute observation on the human condition, but it's mostly just basic fluff propped up by Pamela Adlon's charisma.

Yeah, I like the show and have really enjoyed some of the episodes but the amount of accolades it gets is somewhat surprising to me. It might make a top 10 or 15 for me, but wouldn't be near the top. I found the two oldest daughters really insufferable at times, although I get that's what the characters are supposed to be.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. The critics get another one wrong.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm catching up on some Netflix recently. Really enjoyed Russian Doll and now I'm tearing through Sex Education.
I'll cop to only having watched the first 3-4 episodes of the first season before losing interest. I wonder to what extent the critical response to the show is based on a proximity to where many of them are in life. Seems like many of the prominent critics are in their 40's with kids in the middle/high school age?
Oh, yes. Really looking forward to be one of the seven people who will watch this. But it looks great!.
I imagine it'll be quite good, but I agree that it's not going to put up much of anything in terms of numbers. Seems like one of those shows with <100 posts in the Era thread for the entire season. Probably will do well critically and garner some awards buzz, though.