• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Friendly reminder The Magicians returns tonight on Syfy for Season 5, one of the most underrated shows on TV.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outsider is pretty good through 2 episodes, really enjoyed the book. The head cop/detective is nothing like what I had pictured. Hope it stays pretty true to the story throughout.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Friendly reminder The Magicians returns tonight on Syfy for Season 5, one of the most underrated shows on TV.

I dropped it at the end of S2 because it was too much exhausting nonsensically dramatic teenage shenanigans to me, much like Riverdale that I dropped at the end of S2 as well. At some point there's too many great shows to watch, so something's gotta give.

Looking forward to this show coming back.

Can't wait for my weekly Issa shot!

Last edited:

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the twist is that they're not really in space - that it's just a simulation or something.
I wonder...
...if it's like the miniseries Ascension where it's a simulation of being in outer space.

dammit I bet it's this, which seems very dumb.

I remain interested in this, it's a neat premise to rework, but what a terrible trailer. How are we not done with the ominous moody covers of upbeat songs thing.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Finished watching The Good Wife for the first time, and its successor show The Good Fight. Had never heard of it before and checked it out on a whim. Sooo good. Now im dying for something to pick up in its place lol. It doesnt seem like there are very many newish great network shows anymore with 20+ episode seasons.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first two episodes of The Outsider and love that so far. Also watched the first episode of Succession which is the next show I'm going to try and catch up on.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Just finished Love, Death & Robots, and as someone who loves art & animation, this was truly a treat to enjoy, so many different art style (although way too many boringass photorealistic-looking shorts for my taste), and the differences in animation style (although too much 3D, give 2D some love!). However, as a woman, holy fuck was it fucking hard to watch and enjoy at times, like what the hell. Was there any women involved in this project at all? Cause it sure as hell doesn't feel like it, with all the sexist tropes it served me. Better not be a women in this anthology, cause 9 times out of 10 this means you'll end up raped, abused, mutilated, and killed, or a combination of all of the above. I had such mental & emotional exhaustion after watching the first 8 episodes because half of them were treating their women like utter trash, it definitely tainted my enjoyment of this whole anthology a lot. It could have been so much better than this, but nah, they fell for all the sexist tropes in the damn book and served the lamest juvenile & sexist line I had heard in a fucking long while.

Thankfully some of those shorts were hella cool (mentions to Lucky 13, Zima Blue, Three Robots, Fish Night and even Helping Hand), but a lot of them were partly ruined because of the tropes they were using in their stories, and the sheer gratuity of it all.

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished watching Demon Slayer on Hulu. Definitely on board for a second season whenever it drops. Tanjirio is a good main character and I liked some of the fighting techniques they introduce. Anime is great at being able to switch between absurd, over the top comedy and extreme heartfelt emotion and determination.

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
I just want to shout out Everything's Gonna Be Okay because no one has mentioned it yet. Three episodes are out and this show is already spectacular and should not be missed. If you are unfamiliar with Josh Thomas, his previous series, Please Like Me, is on Netflix and is absolutely worth the dive. Both series detail all the sad and hilarious things that can happen around and during any major emotional event.

Now I'm going to beg. Please, please, please watch both these series.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first two episodes of Lincoln Rhyme: Hunt for the Bone Collector last night and thought it was really good. I loved the film and they have done a pretty great job at turning it into a procedural detective show. The guy they got to replace Denzel isnt the greatest, but he does a pretty decent job with the role.

First episode is basically the first half of the movie, just with a twist on it. Second episode is basically how the show will play out I assume for the rest of the season.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat unrelated to a January specifically but for those that have slept on Dark (Netflix), don't. It's amazing.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
Please do, show is fantastic. Although I'm not sure Netflix is scheduled to lose it anytime soon.

I've watched Spartacus damn near 11 times now lol. Amazing show and it made me a life long fan of Steven DeKinght. It's leaving Netflix on Feb 1st. I've been watching it in chronological order and Im on episode 2 of Vengeance.

Such a perfect show. I think if it debuted 5 years later on say Netflix instead of Starz during the Social Media era it would have been a phenomenal success.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I've watched Spartacus damn near 11 times now lol. Amazing show and it made me a life long fan of Steven DeKinght. It's leaving Netflix on Feb 1st. I've been watching it in chronological order and Im on episode 2 of Vengeance.

Such a perfect show. I think if it debuted 5 years later on say Netflix instead of Starz during the Social Media era it would have been a phenomenal success.

Didn't realize it was leaving, but you're good if you've seen it 11 times.

giphy.gif

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
This and Black Sails are the most underrated shows of last decade. Criminally underrated and given how GOT ended. They are the superior shows
100% agree. Not sure if I'd say they're superior to GoT, since the first few seasons highs of GoT were so so high, but that's a minor quibble. They're definitely up there, and both top tier classics.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Awkwafina's new Comedy Central show premiers tonight. From the reviews I've checked out, I've heard a lot of Broad City comparisons with maybe the show needing some time to find itself out. I'll keep it in the rotation.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
So I took a (temporary?) subscription to Amazon Prime to get on the Fleabag train. It's all good, but how the hell do you find stuff in there? The interface (Apple TV and iOS) is really abysmal. There's so much content on this service but it's impossible to get a clear picture of what's really in there. There's no way to efficiently dig into genre or subgenre, it's just endless scrollable lists... How do you do it?

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So I took a (temporary?) subscription to Amazon Prime to get on the Fleabag train. It's all good, but how the hell do you find stuff in there? The interface (Apple TV and iOS) is really abysmal. There's so much content on this service but it's impossible to get a clear picture of what's really in there. There's no way to eficiently dig into genre or subgenre, it's just endless scrollable lists... How do you do it?
Amazon is atrocious. So-called great tech company? Pffft. No multiple profiles. Pausing and un-pausing frequently de-syncs the audio from the video. On one device I can get closed captions, on another I can't. Then there are the other issues you mentioned. It's so bad I often forgot to look there, although there isn't much to miss anyway. LOL and I just checked the website to look at the watchlist, and I can't, because I'm in the household for Amazon Prime so I have the Prime benefits... but not for this. Such an awful system.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Amazon is atrocious. So-called great tech company? Pffft. No multiple profiles. Pausing and un-pausing frequently de-syncs the audio from the video. On one device I can get closed captions, on another I can't. Then there are the other issues you mentioned. It's so bad I often forgot to look there, although there isn't much to miss anyway. LOL and I just checked the website to look at the watchlist, and I can't, because I'm in the household for Amazon Prime so I have the Prime benefits... but not for this. Such an awful system.

Yikes! I guess my subscription will be temporary then. On the plus side, Fleabag really is hilarious!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I finally got around to watching the first ep of Avenue 5 which started last Sunday on HBO. Seriously disappointing. It's like it was going for the Airplane style humor but not getting close.

Oct 28, 2017
I watched all of Medical Police this past weekend. I'm honestly not sure what I think of it. I guess I enjoyed it but it was maybe a bit too long. That type of humor is better in a movie.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Blew through the two seasons of Shrill. What a great and funny as hell show. Never heard about it until this weekend.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Last night's "Dare Me" was the first episode since the pilot I thought was any good. Some tough stuff handled effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.