• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
That The First teaser did absolutely nothing for me. Vague monologue about "big things" combined with space stuff is well trodden ground. That House of Cards came crashing down harder than [insert whatever space disaster you're ethically fine with joking about] after its first season and I just can't muster any excitement for it. Also Seann Penn is a dick.

Now there was a trailer for a Hulu original that did get me excited:

It's about a time-travelling ballerina. I repeat, a time-travelling ballerina. It also has the best damn tagline: "No matter where she travels in time, she's always on pointe".

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of HBO premieres announced today.

My Brilliant Friend
Recently wrapping production in Caserta, Italy, the HBO, RAI FICTION and TIMVISION series MY BRILLIANT FRIEND debuts this fall. Based on Elena Ferrante's bestselling book of the same name, which is the first of her four-part series published in the U.S. by Europa Editions, the eight-episode series is directed by Saverio Costanzo ("Private," "The Solitude of Prime Numbers," "Hungry Hearts").
Logline:

When the most important friend in her life seems to have disappeared without a trace, Elena Greco, a now-elderly woman immersed in a house full of books, turns on her computer and starts writing the story of their friendship. She met Raffaella Cerullo, whom she has always called Lila, in the first year of primary school in 1950. Set in a dangerous and fascinating Naples, their story goes on to cover more than 60 years of their lives as she tries to describe the mystery of Lila, Elena's brilliant friend and — in a way — her best friend, and her worst enemy.
Comedy Series "Camping", Starring Jennifer Garner and David Tennant, Premieres October 14th
To celebrate her husband Walt's 44th birthday, the obsessively organized and aggressively controlling Kathryn gathers together her meek sister, her holier-than-thou ex-best friend and a free-spirited tagalong — and what was supposed to be a delightful, back-to-nature camping trip quickly becomes a weekend of tested marriages and woman-on-woman crime that won't soon be forgotten.

Starring Jennifer Garner ("Love, Simon"; Emmy® nominee and Golden Globe winner for "Alias") and David Tennant ("Jessica Jones," "Doctor Who"), the comedy series CAMPING launches its eight-episode season SUNDAY, OCT. 14, exclusively on HBO. The show is written and executive produced by Lena Dunham (creator and star of HBO's "Girls"), Jenni Konner (executive producer of HBO's "Girls") and John Riggi, and is based on the British series of the same name created by Julia Davis and produced by Baby Cow Productions.

The show will also be available on HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO On Demand and partners' streaming platforms.

CAMPING follows a group of old friends as they arrive at the underwhelming Brown Bear Lake campsite to celebrate a landmark birthday, sparking heightened emotions, latent tensions (sexual and otherwise) and memories they'd rather forget. Other series regulars include: Juliette Lewis (Oscar® nominee for "Cape Fear"), Arturo Del Puerto ("Independence Day: Resurgence"), Ione Skye ("Fever Pitch"), Janicza Bravo (directing credits include "Lemon" and HBO's "Divorce") and Brett Gelman ("Stranger Things"). The recurring cast includes Bridget Everett ("Trainwreck").

snackshack

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone watching Strange Angel? I just started. Great looking show. Music by Daniel Hart (A Ghost Story). I wish Agent Carter had this kind of budget.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
omg indeed.

When it started, I was sort of like, "Okay, this is a little hokey."

Nah. That was so f-ing adorable at the end, and. the recognition of all the crew too... It was really great.

Teddy was even there! (although I did miss Zoey, Layla, Jeff, and Luke)

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
It was great. I was very meh about the rest of the finale. They neatly resolved all storylines in 40 minutes, but it had zero emotional impact.

The final season, while I enjoyed it about as much as the previous season, was littered with weird story choices. Like, they have Will experimenting with steroids during the first half of the season because he wants to be a gay god, then he has a heart attack (or whatever), the doctor tells him he has to take it easy, and then...he literally has nothing to do for the back half of the season. Juliette joins a cult, she likes the cult, the show comes back from hiatus and suddenly she hates the cult, she gets out of the cult, announces that she's going to try to take down the cult and then...the series ends with no real resolution to that storyline. Deacon didn't end up with whatshername despite all the buildup, Scarlett's decision to sing again came from nowhere (her engagement to some random guy whom we've never seen before would irk me more if I hadn't read that it was her irl husband. Cute), Alannah got way too much screen time (I hate when shows introduce new main characters in their final season, especially when there's an already large ensemble cast) and really only existed to create tension between Gunnar (who had nothing to do besides pine for her all season) and Avery, etc.

The only storylines that I thought were well done all the way through were the ones relating to Deacon and his father; Maddie; and Daphne.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

The Romanoffs will premiere on Friday, October 12, with today's TCA teaser revealing the guest stars featured in the series, which is created, written, directed and executive produced by nine-time Emmy award winner Matthew Weiner (best known for Mad Men).

Shot on location in three continents and seven countries using local productions and creative talent, The Romanoffs will venture to Europe, the Americas, and the Far East. Each story takes place in a new location with a new cast.

Guest stars announced today include Noah Wyle (Falling Skies); Kathryn Hahn (Transparent); Kerry Bishé (Halt and Catch Fire); Jay R. Ferguson (Mad Men); Ben Miles (Collateral); Mary Kay Place (Big Love); Griffin Dunne (Imposters); Cara Buono (Mad Men); Ron Livingston (The Conjuring); Jon Tenney (Hand of God); Clea DuVall (Veep); Radha Mitchell (Silent Hill); and Hugh Skinner (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again); Juan Pablo Castañeda (The Debt of Maximillian); Emily Rudd (Electric Dreams); Adele Anderson (Company Business); Annet Mahendru (The Americans); Louise Bourgoin ((I Am a Soldier); Hera Hilmar (Two Birds); and Inès Melab (Agathe Koltès).

They join previously announced cast Diane Lane, Aaron Eckhart, Isabelle Huppert, Marthe Keller, Christina Hendricks, John Slattery, Jack Huston, Amanda Peet, Corey Stoll, Andrew Rannells, Mike Doyle, JJ Feild, Janet Montgomery and Paul Reiser.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
I can't quite tell from the description what type of show it will be? Is it a love story, thriller, straight drama?

The series is hard to categorize but I'll try. Mostly it's a story about two friends told over decades of personal and political turbulence in Naples, Italy. It touches on organized crime, political violence, and even some thriller-y elements but really it's a story of the city and these two impoverished girls who find their lives go in vastly different directions. To answer your question, a relationship drama?

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The series is hard to categorize but I'll try. Mostly it's a story about two friends told over decades of personal and political turbulence in Naples, Italy. It touches on organized crime, political violence, and even some thriller-y elements but really it's a story of the city and these two impoverished girls who find their lives go in vastly different directions. To answer your question, a relationship drama?
Sounds pretty interesting! I will definitely keep it in mind when it comes out.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
What I find weird is how all the "Hardwick must never work again" posters don't seem to care about Weiner at all, despite the claims against him seemingly being far more credible.

I've always thought he was a creep. The way he always had a co-writer credit so he could get yet another Emmy. Mad Men fell off hard in its final couple of seasons and was never as good as people thought it was.

He can be gone forever as far as I'm concerned.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally started Yellowstone and Big Little LIes. Both great. Yellowstone has some amazing stuntmen lol, some of the "action" scenes look like children of men..brutal

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Claws S2 E8

OMG the Jewish/Christian cowboy is a psycho stalker! :O