• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't think the TV year really kicked into gear until the last month or so, so it feels like things are just getting started even though 2019 is now at the half way point. July looks to be another light month however, which is fine by me because I still have a bunch of things to catch up on - what about y'all?

~ Recent Highlights ~

Catch 22

Based on the acclaimed Joseph Heller novel, Catch-22 follows the adventures and misadventures of a US air squadron in Italy in World War II.

Chernobyl

Chernobyl dramatizes the story of the 1986 nuclear accident, one of the worst man-made catastrophes in history — and of the sacrifices made to save Europe from unimaginable disaster.

Gentleman Jack

Set in 1832 West Yorkshire, England, Gentleman Jack is inspired by the true-story and coded journals of Anne Lister (played by Suranne Jones), and follows her attempt to revitalize her inherited home, Shibden Hall. Most notably for the time period, a part of Lister's plan is to help the fate of her own family by taking a wife.

Vida

Lyn and Emma are two Mexican-American sisters from the Eastside of Los Angeles who couldn't be more different or distanced from each other. Circumstances force them to return to the old neighborhood and confront the past.

Warrior

In the wake of the American Civil War, a young martial arts prodigy, recently arrived from China, finds himself unwillingly dragged into the brutal, Chinatown Tong wars.

When They See Us

Five teens from Harlem become trapped in a nightmare when they're falsely accused of a brutal attack in Central Park. Based on the true story.

~

July

Monday, 1

The Simple Heist - Acorn TV

Divorce - HBO - 10/9c

Tuesday, 2

Young Justice - DC Universe

Secrets of the Dead - PBS - 8/7c

Tales - BET - 9/8c

Wednesday, 3

The Last Czars - Netflix

Thursday, 4

Kakegurui - Netflix

Stranger Things - Netflix

Sunday, 7

The Movies - CNN - 9/8c

Saints & Sinners - Bounce TV - 9/8c

Monday, 8

American Experience - PBS - 9/8c

Dark Money - BBC One - 9pm

Scream: Resurrection - VH1 - 9/8c

Tuesday, 9

Love Island - CBS - 8/7c

The Disappearance - WGN - 10/9c

Bring the Funny - NBC - 10/9c

Wednesday, 10

Family Reunion - Netflix

Harlots - Hulu

NOVA - PBS - 8/7c

Florida Girls - Pop - 10/9c

Snowfall - FX - 10/9c

Thursday, 11

Hollywood Game Night - NBC - 9/8c

The Outpost - The CW - 9/8c

Friday, 12

Comicstaan - Amazon

One Spring Night - Netflix

Taco Chronicles - Netflix

Shangri-La - Showtime - 9/8c

Sunday, 14

Top Gear - BBC America - 8/7c

Grantchester - PBS - 9/8c

Sweetbitter - Starz - 9/8c

Monday, 15

London Kills - Acorn TV

Todo Por El Juego (Side Games) - Spectrum Originals

Tuesday, 16

Pandora - The CW - 8/7c

Human Discoveries - Facebook Watch - 9/8c

Wednesday, 17

8 Days: To the Moon and Back - PBS - 9/8c

Suits - USA - 9/8c - Final Season

Pearson - USA - 10/9c

Friday, 19

All or Nothing - Amazon

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee - Netflix

La Casa de Papel (Money Heist) - Netflix

Queer Eye - Netflix

Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac - Netflix

Typewriter - Netflix

Killjoys - Syfy - 10/9c - Final Season

This Week at the Comedy Cellar - Comedy Central - 11/10c

Sunday, 21

Lambs of God - Foxtel - 8:30pm

Wednesday, 24

Ancient Skies - PBS - 8/7c

South Side - Comedy Central - 10:30/9:30c

Thursday, 25

Another Life - Netflix

My First First Love - Netflix

Workin' Moms - Netflix

Friday, 26

The Boys - Amazon

Light as a Feather - Hulu

Orange is the New Black - Netflix - Final Season

Veronica Mars - Hulu

Sunday, 28

Pennyworth - Epix - 9/8c

Wednesday, 31

Four Weddings and a Funeral - Hulu

Kengan Ashura - Netflix

The Letdown - Netflix

No One Saw a Thing - Sundance TV - 8/7c

Sherman's Showcase - IFC - 10/9c

~

January TV thread
February TV thread
March TV thread
April TV thread
May TV thread
June TV thread

Last edited:
(click on the image to see the trailer)
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Czars - Netflix (July 3)

When social upheaval sweeps Russia in the early 20th century, Czar Nicholas II resists change, sparking a revolution and ending a dynasty.

The Movies - CNN (July 7)

The new six-part series explores American cinema through the decades and the cultural, societal and political shifts that framed its evolution. Combining archival footage and interviews with leading actors, directors, producers, critics and historians, the series showcases the most pivotal moments in film that have stirred the imagination and influenced our culture.

The series features interviews with Paul Thomas Anderson, Alec Baldwin, Ellen Burstyn, Tim Burton, Cameron Crowe, Billy Crystal, Robert De Niro, Jon Favreau, Antoine Fuqua, Morgan Freeman, Bill Hader, Tom Hanks, Amy Heckerling, Ron Howard, Holly Hunter, Anjelica Huston, Baz Luhrmann, Julianne Moore, Ed Norton, Robert Redford, Rob Reiner, Molly Ringwald, Julia Roberts, Maya Rudolph, Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott, John Singleton, Steven Spielberg, Sharon Stone, Robert Zemeckis and many more.

Dark Money - BBC One (July 8)

A struggling family accepts a substantial pay-off from a renowned filmmaker to keep silent about the molestation of their child. They felt this would enable the family to heal and move on - they were so wrong.

Love Island - CBS (July 9)

Love is coming to America with the U.S. version debut of Love Island, the sizzling summer series based on the international smash hit and cultural phenomenon.

The matchmaking begins as a group of single "Islanders" come together in a stunning villa on a beautiful tropical island, ready to embark on a summer of dating, romance, and ultimately, relationships. Every few days the Islanders pair up and those who are not coupled are at risk of being dumped from the island. Islanders are on the lookout for romance, but the road to love doesn't always run smoothly. Challenges abound with intriguing new Islander arrivals and dramatic twists as friendships and relationships form.

In addition to choosing their partners wisely, Islanders must also win the hearts of viewers who have the opportunity to shape events on screen and ultimately crown one lucky couple the winner who will then have the chance to walk away with both love and the cash prize.

The Disappearance - WGN (July 9)

'The Disappearance' is a psychological family drama centered around the unexplained and sudden disappearance of Anthony Sullivan during a treasure hunt on the day of his tenth birthday. The series follows the family as the complex and emotionally fraught mystery of their child's disappearance unfolds. While both the police and family conduct their own investigations, seeking any signs and trace of evidence, long-buried familial secrets with devastating consequences rise to the surface leaving an unforeseen impact on every member of the Sullivan family.

Bring the Funny - NBC (July 9)

The series, which pays homage to every style of comedy performance in one competition, features stand-ups, sketch troupes and comedic variety acts, including solo comics, musicians, magicians, puppeteers, YouTubers and more that will perform in front of a live audience. The series is divided into four rounds of competition: Open Mic, Comedy Clash and Showcase, culminating in a live finale where America will have the chance to vote for who they think is the funniest of the funny.

Family Reunion - Netflix (July 10)

When the McKellan's, a multi-generational family, end up living under one roof, it's old school versus new school and the west coast colliding with the deep south. The struggle is real, and sometimes it's hilarious.

Florida Girls - Pop (July 10)

Inspired by creator Laura Chinn's real-life struggle growing up on the West Coast of Florida, the series follows four women who are forced to confront their stagnant lives when their only ambitious friend moves away to follow her dreams. Bound by their friendship, they will attempt to navigate very relatable curveballs while living below the poverty line.

One Spring Night - Netflix (July 12)

When Lee Jeong-in and Yu Ji-ho meet, something unexpected happens. Or it just may be that spring is in the air -- and anything is possible.

Shangri-La - Showtime (July 12)

The four-part docu-series focuses on creative conversation and the emotional side of music-making, using legendary music producer and Def Jam Records co-founder Rick Rubin's iconic Malibu, CA studio as the backdrop.

Todo Por El Juego (Side Games) - Spectrum Originals (July 15)

Set in the glamorous world of a fictionalized Second Division Spanish Soccer League, the series follows an activist businessman who ascends to the team presidency only to find himself embroiled in mob-controlled betting, political corruption, family turmoil and murder.

Pandora - The CW (July 16)

BiBTUu2.jpg

'Pandora' is a sci-fi action series set in the year 2199, centering on a resourceful young woman who has lost everything but finds a new life at Earth's Space Training Academy where she and her friends learn to defend the Galaxy from threats, both alien and human. When secrets about the nature of her own identity begin to surface, she must uncover the truth, and whether she will be humanity's savior or the instrument of its destruction.

Human Discoveries - Facebook Watch (July 16)

Fv7jFqz.jpg

'Human Discoveries' is an animated series featuring a group of friends living at the dawn of human civilization. Of course, they're the first to discover necessities like fire and the wheel. But, much more importantly, we'll watch as they stumble onto humanity's best, and worst, innovations. Art. Alcohol. Fashion. Racism. Small talk. And, much to their confusion, monogamy.

Pearson - USA (July 17)

Looking to atone for her past and reconnect with her estranged family, Jessica Pearson - a recently disbarred powerhouse attorney - leaves her New York City law firm for the down-and-dirty politics of the Windy City. Newly appointed as Chicago Mayor Bobby Novak's right-hand fixer, Jessica is quickly embroiled in a crooked and dangerous new world where every action has far-reaching consequences. With her compulsion to win, she is forced to reconcile her unstoppable drive with her desire to do the right thing - two things very much at odds.

Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac - Netflix (July 19)

Join the adventures of young warriors called "Knights", sworn protectors of the reincarnated Greek goddess Athena, as they fight powerful Olympian gods bent on destroying humankind.

Typewriter - Netflix (July 19)

Three young friends in Goa plan to search an old villa for ghosts, but when a new family moves in, the home's buried past resurfaces in chilling ways.

Lambs of God - Foxtel (July 21)

'Lambs of God' is a gothic and gripping tale about three nuns, each a generation apart, living on an isolated island.

As the three Sisters of St Agnes, they must defend their very existence when a young priest with a hidden agenda suddenly arrives at their dilapidated monastery. What unfolds is an epic and fantastical tale of faith, love and redemption.

South Side - Comedy Central (July 24)

'South Side' follows two friends who just graduated from community college and are ready to take over the world. But until they do, they're stuck working at Rent-T-Own. Shot on location in Chicago's Englewood neighborhood, the show offers an authentic look into what life on the South Side is all about.

Another Life - Netflix (July 25)

sVxgEOa.jpg

Astronaut Niko Breckinridge and her young crew face unimaginable danger as they go on a high-risk mission to explore the genesis of an alien artifact.

The Boys - Amazon (July 26)

Supes have been committing atrocities, which keep getting swept under the rug because they are revered by the adoring public. Billy Butcher recruits The Boys who have all been wronged by The Seven, the world's most notorious superheroes, to bring them down and stop the corruption. Based on the best-selling comics by Garth Ennis, 'The Boys' is a revenge story where the nobodies take on the somebodies.

Veronica Mars - Hulu (July 26)

Spring breakers are getting murdered in Neptune, thereby decimating the seaside town's lifeblood tourist industry. After Mars Investigations is hired by the family of one of the victims to find their son's killer, Veronica is drawn into an epic eight-episode mystery that pits the enclave's wealthy elites, who would rather put an end to the month-long bacchanalia, against a working class that relies on the cash influx that comes with being the West Coast's answer to Daytona Beach.

Pennyworth - Epix (July 28)

The series follows Bruce Wayne's legendary butler, Alfred Pennyworth, a former British SAS soldier who forms a security company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne, Bruce's billionaire father, in 1960's London.

Four Weddings and a Funeral - Hulu (July 31)

1eNOj0H.jpg

Four American friends reunite for a fabulous London wedding, but after a bombshell at the altar throws their lives into turmoil, they must weather a tumultuous year of romance and heartbreak.

Based on the 1994 film of the same name.

Kengan Ashura - Netflix (July 31)

Underground gladiator Tokita Ohma fights on behalf of business mogul Nogi Hideki, who wagers mega-business deals on the outcome of these brutal matches.

No One Saw a Thing - Sundance TV (July 31)

lCk9HVN.jpg

'No One Saw A Thing' examines an unsolved and mysterious death in the American Heartland and the corrosive effects of vigilantism in small town America. The case garnered international attention in the early 1980s after a resident was shot dead in front of almost 60 townspeople. These witnesses deny having seen anything, to this very day.

Sherman's Showcase - IFC (July 31)

A sketch variety show like none before, 'Sherman's Showcase' travels through time via music and clips drawn from the forty-year library of a legendary (fictional) musical variety show. Inspired by shows like "Solid Gold", "Soul Train" and "Laugh-In".

Last edited:

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Mostly stuff that started airing in June, including Pose S2 (FX), Big Little Lies S2 (HBO), Euphoria (HBO), Legion S3 (FX). From July, I'd say the new seasons of Veronica Mars, Stranger Things, Queer Eye and Orange is the New Black. Nothing original strikes me as interesting, sadly.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I'll certainly be checking out Veronica Mars. I'm currently watching iZombie fail at their final season and I hope it's not a sign of things to come for Veronica Mars.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
bless you for continuing to make these threads RatskyWatsky <3

Will Watch:
Harlots - One of the most overlooked shows over the last few years.
Veronica Mars - I just love it so much.

Might Watch:
Stranger Things - Eh. I didn't even like season 1 that much. Might do it to keep up with the zeitgeist.
Hot Alfred Who Fucks and Kills Fascists - the premise is almost dumb enough for me to jump into it. Almost.

Another light month? Praise the TV gods maybe I can finally snag a boyfriend... or catch up with my vbacklog of way too much TV. Decisions... decisions. 🤔

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably check out an episode of Pandora, The Boys and Pennyworth to see if it's something I might get interested in.

Besides that I'm just gonna continue with Agents of Shield. Maybe check out some older shows here and there, like Warrior or The Terror. Might as well finish up the last five episodes of Doom Patrol.

And thanks to you again RatskyWatsky for doing these threads. Without it, it would be near impossible figuring out what comes out each month.

Last edited:

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Stranger Things, Divorce, Orange is the New Black, Snowfall, Veronica Mars maybe The Boys/Pennyworth...seems like a pretty decent month to me.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Veronica Mars
The Movies
The Outpost (!!!) - the low-budget, cheesy fantasy show of my dreams returns somehow
Pandora - it is on the CW and since I seem incapable of not enjoying their output then why not?
Lambs of God - seems interesting, no idea when it'll make it onto a service in my sphere

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kakeguri season 2 hit Netflix last month. There's more already?! Or is that the live action adaptation?

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Oof the end of the month is seriously stacked.

02 july: Young Justice: Outsiders Part 2 - dc universe
03 july: The Last Czars - netflix
04 july: Stranger Things 3 - netflix
26 july: Orange Is the New Black s7 - netflix
26 july: The Boys - amazon
26 july: Veronica Mars - hulu
28 july: Pennyworth - epix
31 july: Kengan Ashura - netflix

Maybe:

08 july: Scream: Resurrection - Having seen all the movies I never bothered with the show. Didn't seem like it had anything new or interesting to tell. Resurrection does have The Punisher s2 Giorgia Whighman, so I will give it at least a try for her.

11 july: The Outpost s2 - The first season was rather bad, but it had a likeable lead in Jessica Green. I'm also morbidly curious to see how many more swords and monster talons to the gut she can take this time. Just not sure if I can handle more Janzo.

Last edited:

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If its not on netfliex then iam literally free from TV shows. Dont want to turn on the TV and watch stupid faked shows and annoying commercials.

I dont even know anymore whats running in tv.

But even on Netflix iam starting something and lose interest in it. Iam focused on better and more valuable stuff.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
First off, thank you RatskyWatsky for doing these threads. I rely on them to show me more of the under radar stuff (not as much this month for me).

In for Stranger Things and The Boys this month

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Divorce, Scream (maybe?), Stranger Things, Veronica Mars, OITNB, The Boys (going to check this out)

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
08 july: Scream: Resurrection - Having seen all the movies I never bothered with the show. Didn't seem like it had anything new or interesting to tell. Resurrection does have The Punisher s2 Giorgia Whighman, so I will give it at least a try for her.

Scream was a product of its time. Man I loved 1 and 2. 3 was just OK, but it was at least still in the realm of cell phones still being a little rare. Scream 4's problem was everyone has a phone now and the relative thing was played out. The show had the same sort of issues, another being a "predictable twist". I didn't watch season 2. However I'm a little interested now that they will be using the actual ghostface mask.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Cross posting from the movies thread:

Was on a long flight. Caught up with some films and shows:

Killing Eve S1: Lots of fun and some clever genderswaps of stereotypes. Villainelle for me makes it to the GOAT pantheon of lovable charismatic on screen villains. Seriously she's amazing, I can totally understand Polastri's feelings towards her. Polastri herself while well portrayed by Oh and an unexpected character for this type of fiction, I found less interesting as she's essentially an audience stand in. However, it gets real repetitive real quick as the premise and characters lack depth to sustain so many hours of material. I don't know what S2 is like but I can't see myself sticking by this unless it changes the core episode structure and relationship from S1.

Little Drummer Girl: Only saw episodes 1-4 (with 5-6 left) as I didn't have time. This is very nicely made by Park Chan-Wook with really great evocation of maybe not the era itself but the spy/espionage thriller genre of filmmaking and fiction from the era. It's also a little boring and absurd which prevents me from really loving it. The attempt to meld fiction and reality, to put us in the minds of these spies who are seemingly losing their grip on reality doesn't really work. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (the BBC series) this is not but it's still an engaging watch, mostly because I think it manages the political and moral complexities of the subject matter quite well. Pugh and Skarsgard excel in their roles. Michael Shannon feels extremely out of place with his scenery chewing and put me off the show until his character took a back seat. I know this is sacrilegious to say here but I don't like Shannon from what I've seen of him (except in Take Shelter).

Having seen the remaining two episodes, my estimation of Little Drummer Girl has risen quite a bit. It's fantastic. The big ending sequence when the fiction comes to an end is cathartic, though it could have been even more effective if it had sustained those interactions a bit longer. It's certainly going down in my best of 2019 list.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Monday, 1
Divorce - HBO - 10/9c
Enjoy this.

Tuesday, 2
(Young Justice - DC Universe)
I'd love to watch this but I'm not subscribing to DCU, even for free. Hopefully this hits BRD eventually.

Thursday, 4
(Kakegurui - Netflix)
Somewhat interested in this (the live-action version) having just finished the very fun S2. Awful cliffhanger on that, though!

Stranger Things - Netflix
I guess this is obligatory.

Wednesday, 10
Snowfall - FX - 10/9c
This show has continued to improve and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Friday, 19
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee - Netflix
Pleasant surprise! Had no idea it was coming back!

Friday, 26
The Boys - Amazon
This could be fun. Liked the recent "red-band" trailer.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'm trying to not hype myself for ST3 because I don't want to be let down. I'm also avoiding trailers.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just got caught up on the most recent season of the Magicians, and I guess I'm watching Stranger Things 3 this weekend.

Beyond that, not much. Everything I watch is on summer hiatus.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Do it, I watch the entire series at least once a year.

So I just watched the first episode of the first season with the goal of rewatching the whole Veronica Mars series. It has been at least 10 years since I saw anything Veronica Mars related (I didn't saw the recent movie). And to be frank, I don't remember a lot about the series.

I found the first episode really interesting. The tone is kind of all over the place; on one hand they are going all in with heavy subjects like rape and the difficulty for the victims to get due process, and on the other hand there's this super soft teenage biker gang that gets all worried because two of their members stole some beers from a convenience store.

I kind of think the different tones all blended in make it interesting. Really looking forward to watching the rest. I don't remember nearly anything, which makes this rewatch really fun.

Last edited:

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
So I just watched the first episode of the first season with the goal of rewatching the whole Veronica Mars series. It has been at least 10 years since I saw anything Veronica Mars related (I didn't saw the recent movie). And to be frank, I don't remember a lot about the series.

I found the first episode really interesting. The tone is kind of all over the place; on one hand they are going all in with heavy subjects like rape and the difficulty for the victims to get due process, and on the other hand there's this super soft teenage biker gang that gets all worried because two of their members stole some beers from a convenience store.

I kind of think the different tones all blended in make it interesting. Really looking forward to watching the rest. I don't remember nearly anything, which makes this rewatch really fun.

That's great, you're in for a treat. A lot of people have issues with season 2 and I can see where they're coming from but I love the entire series, even season 3.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
It's all about Veronica Mars this month for me. Can't believe we're getting another season 😃

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
me and the gf are watching Kim's Convenience Season 3

im thinking about watching catch 22

im deff. gonna be watching The Movies on CNN

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Might be the only one here looking forward to the final season of Killjoys. Underrated show.

Stranger Things, The Boys, curious about Another Life as well (need to see a trailer).

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Sotus (netflix but not worlwide). An innocent pure gay thai drama that is actually so sweet it literally gives me diabetes yet it is so addictive

7 seeds. I saw the comic so i am kinda familiar with it

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I think I would be far more interested in the Last Czar if it was an actual show like the Crown rather than a docu series still watching it though to see how it is since it's on. I've watched several of them on Netflix which are really good production wise but seems a waste they couldn't go further and I very much like content based around Russia as well. Interesting month otherwise in particular Stranger Things, The Boys and Pennyworth if I can find a way to watch it.

This must be the first time in my life I've probably ever watched Friends from Start to Finish which feels strange as I did bits and pieces on TV from time to time years ago. I actually quite love it now (which I didn't back then) that there's noticeable character arcs and there's a lot of conversations that actually make more sense and things that I didn't realize or missed. There's comedy which don't quite age well but some of it really hits fairly close. Seems like quite a bit to miss when it was airing and the conversations that might have been had with each event.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched two episodes of The Little Drummer Girl, and it's super intriguing. Not sure I've seen anything like this before. And the acting is really good from Alexander Skarsgaard, Michael Shannon and Florence Pugh. I hope this keeps it up all the way through since it's a miniseries.