• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched two episodes of The Little Drummer Girl, and it's super intriguing. Not sure I've seen anything like this before. And the acting is really good from Alexander Skarsgaard, Michael Shannon and Florence Pugh. I hope this keeps it up all the way through since it's a miniseries.
It's wonderful. Have you seen The Night Manager?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's wonderful. Have you seen The Night Manager?
Nope. I did watch one episode back when it premiered, cause I was supporting Susanne Bier, and I really liked what I saw of that as well. I'll get back to it pretty soon. Did it have a satisfying ending? Cause I read reports that they were looking to do another season but then it never amounted to anything.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I did watch one episode back when it premiered, cause I was supporting Susanne Bier, and I really liked what I saw of that as well. I'll get back to it pretty soon. Did it have a satisfying ending? Cause I read reports that they were looking to do another season but then it never amounted to anything.
It was definitely satisfying. I believe the talk of a S2 eventually morphed into Drummer Boy.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Strangers Things
Veronica Mars
The Boys - Looks kind of bad and not in a good way, but I'll see how it is at least.

I'll probably catch up Dark S2 also.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished up Jessica Jones Season 3. It was decent, but I wanted it to go out on a bigger high. Some of the morality stuff/themes pondered I didn't click with towards the end and felt it was well trodden material, especially for superhero shows. (I probably watch too many of them). Still contend if any of the Marvel shows should have been procedural, it should have been this one. Definitely would have given Jessica more character beats to play and possibly offered more engaging moments. It was nice seeing a cast member from The Knick show up though.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Still contend if any of the Marvel shows should have been procedural, it should have been this one. Definitely would have given Jessica more character beats to play and possibly offered more engaging moments.

I've only seen the first season, but I always felt it would have worked much better as a Justified type of thing, where the first half is procedural and the second half is serialized. Daredevil and Luke Cage would have been better off that way too tbh.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished Stranger Things Season 3 yesterday. I didn't plan to binge the whole season in a day, but the pacing is really good and they did enough to keep me hooked to watch the next episode. Really helped their were only 8 and most episode don't go the full hour. The large group of characters works to the show's benefit, with not spending too much time on one group.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finally got around to watching F is For Family Season 3. Show does a really good job of serialization for an animated show with a lot of things paying off towards the end. Series also gets surprisingly dark in the last few episodes. I'm glad it will be back for a 4th season.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everybody, In The Dark is now on Netflix so you should all watch it. One of the best new shows of the year and the best show on The CW, give or take a The 100.

Oh and The Outpost is back tomorrow, please be excited.

I didn't watch the first season of this and the trailer was only so-so but I'm always interested in horror on the smallscreen, especially when it is serialized and over multiple seasons. Might give it a look some time.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished Attack on Titan Season 3 via Hulu. I started out originally watching weekly, but fell out and ending up going through the remainder of the season in a couple to days. Really liked they gave answers to some of the key questions I had and some of the episodes towards the end really hit me hard :(

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The best show of last year returns next month and AMC finally dropped a little trailer:

Everyone watch it so I can get more of it and because it'll change your life. And if it doesn't, hey, you still watched a brilliant piece of television so no great loss.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
The best show of last year returns next month and AMC finally dropped a little trailer:

Everyone watch it so I can get more of it and because it'll change your life. And if it doesn't, hey, you still watched a brilliant piece of television so no great loss.

Everyone needs more Lodge 49 in their life, absolutely wonderful show!

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
So since we all watched The Outpost last night....
They killed Garret, possibly/maybe for good! Considering one of the things I disliked the most about the first season was the dull love triangle, this is a great turn of events.

And for those wondering, no, Talon didn't get impaled in this episode.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished the last season of Luther. I waited till it came to BBC America and had it saved on my DVR for a minute. Overall I thought the season was solid, although the finale could have used more time to give more weight to the 2 remaining storylines.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Finished the last season of Luther. I waited till it came to BBC America and had it saved on my DVR for a minute. Overall I thought the season was solid, although the finale could have used more time to give more weight to the 2 remaining storylines.
I haven't watched it yet so no spoilers, but is that a series finale or a season finale?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Killing Eve season 2 the other day.

I started off liking Eve a good bit but by the end of the season I had begun to really dislike her. She'd constantly get on my nerves to the point that I'd be happy if she actually died at the start of season 3. I know for a fact that won't be the case but the show would be significantly better if it was all about Villanelle.

I think I was fully on the "fuck Eve" train when she forgot to tell her husband that they'd have a bodyguard living with them and then she pulled some, "I'm sorry if my job is inconvenient to you". I'm glad the writers had the husband call her on her shit because she was being insane there.

Also, the same motifs being played over and over got tiring. Get some more music, ya'll.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Anyone check out that new CW show Pandora? Maybe I haven't been much watch CW lately, so maybe they advertised it heavily there, but other than that I've seen almost nothing about it.

I'm finishing up Stranger Things S3 which is fantastic, started Sex Education which is OK and Gillian Anderson is just about offsetting the dumb annoying teens, and looking forward to the new Gordon Ramsay show this Sunday. The reality show stuff bores me, this looks more like a travel show with food.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Pandora and it was great in a cheesy 'they don't make them like this anymore' kind of way(much like The Outpost).

Here is rough collection of my thoughts as I watched it:
  • What is this music? It has this driving energy but on top of that is some flute or something and then it transitions to some tinkling chimes and a brief wannabe Trek hopeful swell before dropping that and back into high energy mode. And then it changes again! I've rewound and rewatched this now 4 times, I don't think I've ever been so distracted by a score for anything right out of the gate, the first 40 seconds or so of this episoe sure are something.
  • Oh shit that title card is excellent.
  • This music! It has now settled comfortably into heroic 90s syndicated sci-fi. Seriously, I'm 5 minutes in and I think this might have the most unique score on television, nothing sounds like this anymore(maybe The Orville? I don't know I gave up on that ages ago)
  • Oh my, a girl with a purple wig, pink top, yellow skirt, yellow socks, red boots, and metallic silver backpack.
  • If my hearing is correct, main girl is Jax(Jacks?) and the girl of many colors is Atreia(sp?). Those are some sci-fi names if I've ever heard them.
  • And now we have world-building and character building that is coming fast and hard. Our group of characters are now at the Peach Pit After Dark or whatever and we got one guy who is hoping to get placed on an exploratory vessel as a medical officer, a guy who is aiming to be pilot, alien ambassador's son who no one likes(because of a past war), Atreia(purple hair girl) isn't actually considered human, she is some type of clone-slave. Oh and pilot guy is also a telepath(and telepaths were created by the humans and aren't naturally occurring). Too much too soon, Pandora.
  • New character, is a robot I think. I am in love with this sci-fi dorm room. Yes please, holographic shower curtain.
  • What is this scene, what is going on, where are they going?
  • Oh my god...is this a college aged Space Cases?

I think I am going to love this show. Much like The Outpost it feels like a throwback to the sensibilities of 90s syndicated genre television(which I love) just with a stronger serialized focus. And also like The Outpost, I like how this show just goes for it with regards to its high concept nature. Sure, the cgi isn't great but I would rather a show do what its going to do even with subpar cgi rather than having to navigate what it can and can't show. Pandora showing those dumb looking aliens even if they look dumb gets a nod of approval from me.

This isn't something like The 100 where I would recommend it to everyone just because it is excellent, but between the low budget charm and the weird nostalgia it kicks up in me, I quite enjoyed it and recommend it to all who might be of a similar bent.