• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Recently watched Howards End. ... Trying to find another show like it.
Well, if you're looking for more (good) TV adaptations of the work of E.M. Forester your kind of out of luck, however there are several excellent film adaptations by Merchant-Ivory:
Maurice
A Room with a View
Howards End

For something kinda different, but that hits some similar themes there is the terrific Parade's End, starring Benedict Cumberbatch in what might be his best pre-Patrick Melrose role. Adapted by Tom Stoppard from the novels by Ford Maddox Ford (yes, somehow Benedict doesn't have the most ridiculous name of the people involved).

If you're looking for TV shows set in the Victorian era in general (or turn-of-the-century ones)... the Brits have churned those fuckers out since the 70s and there are simply too many to list so I'd need more qualifiers to narrow it down.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Well, if you're looking for more (good) TV adaptations of the work of E.M. Forester your kind of out of luck, however there are several excellent film adaptations by Merchant-Ivory:
Maurice
A Room with a View
Howards End

For something kinda different, but that hits some similar themes there is the terrific Parade's End, starring Benedict Cumberbatch in what might be his best pre-Patrick Melrose role. Adapted by Tom Stoppard from the novels by Ford Maddox Ford (yes, somehow Benedict doesn't have the most ridiculous name of the people involved).

If you're looking for TV shows set in the Victorian era in general (or turn-of-the-century ones)... the Brits have churned those fuckers out since the 70s and there are simply too many to list so I'd need more qualifiers to narrow it down.

Maurice
A Room with a View
Howards End

Yes, I'm not looking specifically for works from the same author but more of a genre recommendation. I love shows set in different periods of time with a bit of romance. Characters I can really enjoy watching. What makes Howards end work for me is how likable the Schlegels are even despite some of their faults. It's entertaining to watch even small events where they're just discussing things. I also watched Parade's End :). The only other period romance I can think of that I've seen is War and Peace also by BBC One which I enjoyed. Other than that It's hard to nail down more specifically about what I'm looking for.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Did people really like Outcast? I watched the whole season and felt nothing.

Anyway, Patrick Melrose is a show I didn't know I needed. Excellent all around.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Watched a couple episodes of Marlon on NBC. I liked how it brought attention to relevant issues in similar ways Blackish did. I did feel that he tried to overact to make sure he lived up to his comedy history but still natural humor.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
berzeli So I'm halfway into episode 1 of season 2 of The Bureau before I realize that it's actually episode fucking 10. :/ I clicked on the wrong episode and started with the finale :/ I was like "Whoa, I really must have forgotten what happened during season one because this makes no sense to me!" :/ fml :/

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea that The Sinner S2 was coming soon - I thought it was going to air in the fall or something. This show's probably the closest we'll ever get to another The Killing. Plus Bill Pullman's wondrous beard and also Carrie Coon - OMG.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I finished catching up on all of Colony and Line of Duty(god this show is good), now I'm onto Patrick Melrose(Amazing first two eps!), Claws, and half way through S1 of the Sinner. Next I'll try 12 Monkeys when I finish PM, though its doubtful I can catch up before that ends.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
12 Monkeys begins its final season tonight.

I have faith the creators will stick the landing, the show has done a fantastic job navigating the difficult waters of their elaborate time travel story and they haven't hit a major wrong note yet. But I'm more than a little sad to see this marvelous little show go out so unceremoniously, not that viewership/success is all that important but much like Channel Zero(also on Syfy) it is this really quality piece of television that seemingly everyone has just "Nope"-ed on.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

I have faith the creators will stick the landing, the show has done a fantastic job navigating the difficult waters of their elaborate time travel story and they haven't hit a major wrong note yet. But I'm more than a little sad to see this marvelous little show go out so unceremoniously, not that viewership/success is all that important but much like Channel Zero(also on Syfy) it is this really quality piece of television that seemingly everyone has just "Nope"-ed on.

Easily one of the most underrated shows these past few years. It doesn't help that Syfy has aired the past 2 seasons in these quick binge blocks over the course of a few days or a few weeks this season. I get the fact the show doesn't produce great ratings, but it's not like Syfy has a bunch of other shows that are generating big numbers they can air instead. I believe the showrunners said the quick pace works best for a viewing experience, but it kinda kills any discussion the show can have with the potential audience being on different episodes.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Go watch Impulse in YouTube Red is very good, and is based in the same series of Book of the movie Jumper.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did people really like Outcast? I watched the whole season and felt nothing.

Anyway, Patrick Melrose is a show I didn't know I needed. Excellent all around.
Season 1 had an amazing pilot imo and a mix of good and filler episodes after that. Season 2 started out boring and I dropped it after a few episodes.
I haven't read the comic but it seems to me like it was a similar case to The Strain or maybe even to TWD - tv shows have limited budgets (unless they're on HBO/Netflix ;)) so they often can't go bigger. Also maybe the creators were hoping for more seasons so they weren't in a hurry to get to big revelations.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
So happy 12 Monkeys is back tonight, but so sad it's ending :(

But yeah, it's hard to discuss when it comes out like this. Last year hardly anybody wanted to talk about it.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, who wants to watch nerd crap like 12 Monkeys?

Just kidding I'm pretty hyped for it. It's so weird that Syfy actually has a bunch of decent shows now.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've missed out on so many shows recently because of stuff happening in my life. Still haven't started the new seasons of any of the major returning shows, and now Yellowstone is starting I see.

I'm onto Cloak and Dagger though which is great. And Luke Cage in a week. And I started Stranger Things S2 finally. Checked out 13 Reasons Why S1 but may drop it for now for another of the returning shows. Really have to catch up with The Originals S5.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 had an amazing pilot imo and a mix of good and filler episodes after that. Season 2 started out boring and I dropped it after a few episodes.
I haven't read the comic but it seems to me like it was a similar case to The Strain or maybe even to TWD - tv shows have limited budgets (unless they're on HBO/Netflix ;)) so they often can't go bigger. Also maybe the creators were hoping for more seasons so they weren't in a hurry to get to big revelations.

The second half of Outcast was decent,
except when they started killing off new interesting Season 2 characters who barely got any development.
The finale was a bit of a mess.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Yellowstone reviews are coming in, and they are decidedly mixed. That's a shame.

berzeli So I'm halfway into episode 1 of season 2 of The Bureau before I realize that it's actually episode fucking 10. :/ I clicked on the wrong episode and started with the finale :/ I was like "Whoa, I really must have forgotten what happened during season one because this makes no sense to me!" :/ fml :/
Oh. Oh no. That's not ~great~. Luckily the show still is great, and you have season 3, (& at some point season 4) to go through unspoiled.

Yes, I'm not looking specifically for works from the same author but more of a genre recommendation. I love shows set in different periods of time with a bit of romance. Characters I can really enjoy watching. What makes Howards end work for me is how likable the Schlegels are even despite some of their faults. It's entertaining to watch even small events where they're just discussing things. I also watched Parade's End :). The only other period romance I can think of that I've seen is War and Peace also by BBC One which I enjoyed. Other than that It's hard to nail down more specifically about what I'm looking for.
For a very quick and dirty rundown of what British period drama is popular right now:

BBC has Poldark (currently in its 4th season) based on the novel of the same name following a British army officer who returns from the American war of independence to find nothing of his old life remains.
Netflix has The Crown (filming its third season) folowing the reign and life of Queen Elizabeth II.
ITV has Victoria (is getting a third series) following the reign and life of Queen Victoria.
Channel 4 has ... nothing right now but Indian Summers is recent enough and fits the bill I guess.

I think those are a good starting point for big the mainstream fair (even if I only really like The Crown and Indian Summers), and to cap off with some various, recent, period dramas that I really liked:
Life in Squares, portrays the life of the Bloomsbury Group
Versailles, chronicling the life at the court of Louis XIV
Wolf Hall, okay this one might not be for you since it doesn't gave the romance aspect but it's bloody brilliant, Mark Rylance is astonishing as Thomas Cromwell.

and I'm very likely forgetting some obvious picks and great shows. But there might be something here that you'd fancy.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
God I love how insane Claws is, what a show. I could watch this forever.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

No exact date, but listed as "coming soon" so expect it in like three weeks or whenever the good auntie sees fit. I'm hyped!

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, WHAT?! Where the hell did this come from? I thought the fourth series was it!
I think we got confirmation about them filming in May, but uh I wasn't expecting it this soon. That's the wonders of British TV, unless you stalk the production company you will get caught unawares by when and how things appear. I still remember how Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell seemingly was caught in development hell only to appear fully formed out of fucking nowhere.

Last edited:

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I think we got confirmation about them filming in May, but uh I wasn't expecting it this soon. That's the wonders of British TV, unless you stalk the production company you will get caught unawares by when and how things appear. I still remember how Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell seemingly was caught in development hell only to appear fully formed out of fucking nowhere.

Madmen, those British TV people! This was a super nice surprise, I'm always up for more of this great show.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

From the writer of the exceptional Line of Duty, Jed Mercurio, starring the magnificent Keely Hawes, and some dude from GoT. If it is even half as taut as Line of Duty it will be the most tense thing on TV this year, unless Line of Duty series 5 manages to sneak out this year as well.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
We're starting to get halftime roundups:

The Guardian: Best TV of 2018 so far
Really solid list, especially good if you're looking for some non-US shows (even if the not in the English language selection is barren), even if I'm baffled on the inclusion of The Rain considering pretty much everything I've seen has panned it hard.

Indiewire: The 10 Best TV Series of 2018, So Far
One or two choices I don't get but overall nothing weird.

Variety: The Best TV Shows of 2018 (So Far)
Outside of the lack of Patrick Melrose another decent roundup.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
The best things about those lists is knowing it's the last time I'll have to see The Americans on them.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Fall NBC Schedule
NBC's fall premiere schedule follows:

MONDAY, SEPT. 24

8 p.m. – The Voice
10 p.m. – Manifest

TUESDAY, SEPT. 25

8 p.m. – The Voice
9 p.m. – This Is Us
10 p.m. – New Amsterdam

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 26

8 p.m. – Chicago Med
9 p.m. – Chicago Fire
10 p.m. – Chicago P.D.

THURSDAY, SEPT. 27

8 p.m. – The Good Place (one hour)
9 p.m. – Law & Order: SVU (two hours)

FRIDAY, SEPT. 28

10 p.m. – Dateline NBC

THURSDAY, OCT. 4

8 p.m. – Superstore
8:30 p.m. – The Good Place
9 p.m. – Will & Grace
9:30 p.m. – I Feel Bad
10 p.m. – Law & Order: SVU

FRIDAY, OCT. 12

8 p.m. – Blindspot

FRIDAY, OCT. 26

9 p.m. – Midnight, Texas

Oct 25, 2017
Sepinwall has been beating this drum for a while, with a lot of 'prestige TV', but this is not a good look for Luke Cage. Season 1 became such a slog after the mid-way point.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Sepinwall has been beating this drum for a while, with a lot of 'prestige TV', but this is not a good look for Luke Cage. Season 1 became such a slog after the mid-way point.

This is such a non-concern for me now. The episode count and pacing was not a problem in Jessica Jones S2 or Punisher S1, and Luke Cage S2 has gotten so many overwhelmingly positive reviews that one won't take away from that.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if they just contractually keep making it 13 every time because that's what the other series and seasons are, or genuinely go in thinking they have enough story. It's always disappointing when shows stretch like that, hopefully it's not too bad with Cage's new season. Concerning to see Sepinwall equate it to 3-4 episodes of story over 13.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they just contractually keep making it 13 every time because that's what the other series and seasons are, or genuinely go in thinking they have enough story. It's always disappointing when shows stretch like that, hopefully it's not too bad with Cage's new season. Concerning to see Sepinwall equate it to 3-4 episodes of story over 13.
We'll see. The current rumor is, that Iron Fist will have 10 episodes in its second season.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. The current rumor is, that Iron Fist will have 10 episodes in its second season.

Only 10 too many.

But seriously I feel that the bloat is a problem that nearly every Netflix original faces. The only two I can recall off the top of my head that never felt like they would have been improved by being shorter were Mindhunter and Glow.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The CW Sets Fall Premiere Dates, Including Sunday Lineup & Three Series Debuts
Tuesday, October 9
8-9 PM: THE FLASH (Season Premiere)
9-10 PM: BLACK LIGHTNING (Season Premiere)

Wednesday, October 10
8-9 PM: RIVERDALE (Season Premiere)
9-10 PM: ALL AMERICAN (Series Premiere)

Thursday, October 11
8-9 PM: SUPERNATURAL (Season Premiere)
9-10 PM: ALL AMERICAN (Encore of Premiere)

Friday, October 12
8-9 PM: DYNASTY (Season Premiere)
9-10 PM: CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND (Season Premiere)

Sunday, October 14

8-9 PM: SUPERGIRL (Season Premiere)
9-10 PM: CHARMED (Series Premiere)

Monday, October 15
8-9 PM: ARROW (Season Premiere)

Thursday, October 18
8-9 PM: SUPERNATURAL (Original Episode)
9-10 PM: CHARMED (Encore of Premiere)

Monday, October 22
8-9 PM: ARROW (Original Episode)
9-10 PM: DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (Season Premiere)

Thursday, October 25
8-9 PM: SUPERNATURAL (Original Episode)
9-10 PM: LEGACIES (Series Premiere)

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer for the second season of Trial & Error, which is called Lady, Killer. I was too lazy to look for wasn't able to find a region free one so this one is region locked to the US:

I'm so in, then again it could have been just Kristin Chenoweth acting against cardboard cutouts and I'd still be in.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to get going on The Terror and Yellowstone, but now Luke Cage S2 started, I'm in the midst of Cloak and Dagger and just started Stranger Things S2 as well. And I haven't even finished the latest season of Gotham and Riverdale. Or any of the returning big shows from April. I feel so spoiled with this much awesome content.