• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I, uh, don't really see the semblance. Sure both are inspired by the 50s jungle adventure type of posters/logos (which in turn were inspired by the 30s adventure serials). but they don't really look alike in terms of fonts composition or anything.
"Danger Island" looks similar to "Survivor" to me. May just be me but idk.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Babylon Berlin is the best show I've seen in the last 5 years.

HBO levels of quality and production.

Holy shit what a ride, you guys have to see it if you haven't already. Not sure if Netflix had a hand in making this but it's fucking amazing.

Last edited:

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
So some final thoughts on Collateral, it's not a subtle show but dammit if conservatives can have Blue Bloods/one of four interchangeable gung-ho military shows I can have this bleeding heart liberal show. Yes, one of the subplots is kinda dumb. Yes, it basically let's a character do a political speech or two. It's still a satisfying show with excellent performances (Carey Mulligan <3<3<3<3) that is well shot, well directed, and that is a lot more complex than some of its critics give it credit for.

Also; The Good Fight had its strongest episode of the season so far and will probably end up as the best least watched show of the year. Also also, the show with the best f-bomb drop of the year.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit what a ride, you guys have to see it if you haven't already. Not sure if Netflix had a hand in making this but it's fucking amazing.

So some final thoughts on Collateral, it's not a subtle show but dammit if conservatives can have Blue Bloods/one of four interchangeable gung-ho military shows I can have this bleeding heart liberal show. Yes, one of the subplots is kinda dumb. Yes, it basically let's a character do a political speech or two. It's still a satisfying show with excellent performances (Carey Mulligan <3<3<3<3) that is well shot, well directed, and that is a lot more complex than some of its critics give it credit for.

Also; The Good Fight had its strongest episode of the season so far and will probably end up as the best least watched show of the year. Also also, the show with the best f-bomb drop of the year.

Dang, I have some shows to watch! I've seen two of Babylon Berlin, and the first season of The Good Fight. Collateral is definitely getting watched this week.

I've been powering through Sneaky Pete at the moment, nearly caught up. The second season isn't as strong as the first, but I love the cast and the setup enough that it all still works well.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Um, AV Club told me it was a C one.

I thought it was okay, but I'm mostly over the show. I wish they would announce this is the final season.

Sepinwall really liked it shrug.emoji

The show started strong, lapsed for a couple seasons, but is having a creative resurgence right now - yet I wouldn't mind if this was the last season. Better to go out on top and leave people wanting more than to drag it out and have people wishing it ended years ago.

Last edited:

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017

Yep. I've been ranting and raving about this show to everyone I know but so far there have been few takers.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually love British cop shows but man, just finished Collateral and really thought it was mediocre. Maybe I've just watched too many of them but I thought it was really dumb that at the start of the third episode (half way through the series) they basically sat 4 characters down and explained every facet of the mystery. What was the point after that? Just seeing how the pieces fell? Some subplots fell off the face of the Earth too, while others felt completely tangential to the primary plot.

Past all that it was also preachy as hell. I do not in any way believe that cop boss would give that speech he gave. And there were like 6 or 7 extremely preachy speeches like this throughout the series. Big disappointment.

Also finished Sneaky Pete Season 2 a few days ago. Big step down from the first but overall still enjoyable.

Still need to watch Babylon Berlin. Everyone is telling me amazing things, and this thread is no different.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I usually love British cop shows but man, just finished Collateral and really thought it was mediocre. Maybe I've just watched too many of them but I thought it was really dumb that at the start of the third episode (half way through the series) they basically sat 4 characters down and explained every facet of the mystery. What was the point after that? Just seeing how the pieces fell? Some subplots fell off the face of the Earth too, while others felt completely tangential to the primary plot.

Past all that it was also preachy as hell. I do not in any way believe that cop boss would give that speech he gave. And there were like 6 or 7 extremely preachy speeches like this throughout the series. Big disappointment.

Also finished Sneaky Pete Season 2 a few days ago. Big step down from the first but overall still enjoyable.

Still need to watch Babylon Berlin. Everyone is telling me amazing things, and this thread is no different.
If you love cop shows go watch Babylon Berlin it's a german cop show ;)

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, why didn't I hear about Santa Clarita Diet before. Cool cast, funny, zombie theme (!) - this is going to the top of my watchlist (I've only seen the pilot so far). :)

Season 2 releases this week.

Reactions to season 1 were mixed to say the least. Personally I loved it, made me laugh harder than anything I saw last year.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sneaky Pete season 2 wasn't terrible but man it was definitely disappointing outside of Martindale's performance which was great. I hope they renew for a final season but I won't be that upset if they don't.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I also loved Babylon Berlin.
Random note: From BB, both Charlotte Ritter(Liv Lisa Fries) and Greta(Leonie Benesch) are minor characters on Counterpart, and they had a scene together on the most recent episode. Since much of the show takes place in Berlin I thought this was interesting...and Liv's characters name is Greta!

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I finished up Sneaky Pete S2 and The End of the Fucking World tonite. Sneaky Pete S2 is like the definition of a B- season in which it's technically pieced together well but nothing particularly interesting happens all season except for a few short scenes and ultimately feels of no importance in any way. The End was actually a lot better than I expected, although the first few episodes were better than the last few for me. I kinda hope that one doesn't have another season, unless it's with an entirely new group of characters, as it felt extremely definitive to me.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Also note: 'Nightflyers' Showrunner Daniel Cerone Exits
Nightflyers showrunner Daniel Cerone has exited the drama series, and executive producer Jeff Buhler, who penned the TV adaptation, is taking over, Deadline has confirmed.

Cerone had been with the project since January, when it was given a series order by Syfy. He is currently working on other projects with studio Universal Cable Productions.

Based on the novella by George R.R. Martin (Game of Thrones) and the 1987 film from Universal Cable Productions, Nightflyers follows eight maverick scientists and a powerful telepath who embark on an expedition to the edge of our solar system aboard The Nightflyer – a ship with a small tightknit crew and a reclusive captain — in the hope of making contact with alien life. But when terrifying and violent events begin to take place they start to question each other — and surviving the journey proves harder than anyone thought.

The series stars Gretchen Mol (Boardwalk Empire) as Dr. Agatha Matheson, alongside Eoin Macken (The Night Shift) as Karl D'Branin, David Ajala (Fast & Furious 6) as Roy Eris, Sam Strike (EastEnders) as Thale, Maya Eshet (Teen Wolf) as Lommie, Angus Sampson (Fargo) as Rowan, Jodie Turner-Smith (The Last Ship) as Melantha Jhirl and Brían F. O'Byrne (Million Dollar Baby) as Auggie.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Sneaky pete season 2 is to heavy for me. It's good, but very exhausting to watch, unlike season 1

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SYFY has really transformed their programming into something special over the recent years. SYFY used to be one of those channels where shows were sent to die.

Now it's home to HAPPY!, The Magicians, soon Krypton and this Fall Nightflyers.
The fact that you didn't mention the Expanse is either hugely suspect....or you have work to do.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I tried watching Collateral due to the shows hype and reviews. I'm done after Two episodes. One of the preachiest shows ive ever seen.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Aw yiss, I really like Colony.
Me too. New logline looks fun:
COLONY's third season begins six months after the Bowmans' escape from the Los Angeles bloc as Will (Josh Holloway) and Katie (Sarah Wayne Callies) struggle to rebuild their family in the world beyond the walls. When their peaceful existence is shattered, they are sent on an odyssey that will finally reveal the horrifying truth behind Earth's mysterious occupiers and once again force our heroes to choose sides.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
12 Monkeys might low key be the best show on Syfy, and I've seen The Expanse (overrated imo).

Krypton premieres tonight on the channel, so far reviews have been mixed. Will DVR and might watch on the weekend.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Finished Sneaky Pete season 2. I liked it but not nearly as much as the first season. The villain did nothing for me.

Also finished Love season 3. That was by far the best season of the show, really good stuff.