• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
About to cancel HBO in a minute, so I'm catching up on a couple shows.

Finished the last season of Silicon Valley. The finale set up a nice direction the show could go in, but it definitely doesn't have the same spark when it first started out and was one of my favorite comedies on TV. Jared was easily the MVP of the season though.

Started up Barry as well and really enjoying it. I knew people dug it a lot and so far it's living up to the hype. Plus so has so many people from other shows I watch.

Voltreffer

Apr 25, 2018
Any recommondations from previous months to catch up on? Have been out of the series game for a bit...

Just finished Sharp Objects and the Deuce. Now catching up on the bodyguard and Ballers.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Any recommondations from previous months to catch up on? Have been out of the series game for a bit...

Just finished Sharp Objects and the Deuce. Now catching up on the bodyguard and Ballers.

Check out the ~ Recent Highlights ~ section at the top of the monthly threads!

From the last two months:

Claws - TNT

Harlots - Hulu

Forever - Amazon

Random Acts of Flyness - HBO

Snowfall - FX

The Dragon Prince - Netflix

The Miniaturist - PBS

I'd also recommend Lodge 49 and Kidding.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Ah, they finally show Satan? lol
Did they just stay in one city all season like they did last year?

More or less it was focused in one location, but they did a much better job in having them spread out and do different things. Jesse was more likeable and they leaned into the comedy more, which is one of the show's strengths.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
blackish-season-5-cast-photo-2.jpg

Upcoming season will find the show hitting 100 episodes. Only show on ABC I currently watch, back next week.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I didn't want to make a thread and I saw this but:

Does anyone have any high quality tv show recommendations? I have Hulu, Prime, and Netflix so anything on those is a bonus. Really any genre or show, just something you loved and would recommend.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I didn't want to make a thread and I saw this but:

Does anyone have any high quality tv show recommendations? I have Hulu, Prime, and Netflix so anything on those is a bonus. Really any genre or show, just something you loved and would recommend.

Not sure if you've seen any of these, I went with some of the less massive picks in a lot of cases:

Hulu:
The Handmaid's Tale
Castle Rock
Harlots
The First

Prime:
Patriot
Forever
Catastrophe
Marvelous Mrs Maisel
Sneaky Pete
Fleabag
The Romanoffs (saw the first two, can definitely recommend, they drop on Friday!)

Netflix:
One Day At A Time
Maniac
Glow
Mindhunter
And The Haunting of Hill House drops Friday, and is really, really good!

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if you've seen any of these, I went with some of the less massive picks in a lot of cases:

Hulu:
The Handmaid's Tale
Castle Rock
Harlots
The First

Prime:
Patriot
Forever
Catastrophe
Marvelous Mrs Maisel
Sneaky Pete
Fleabag
The Romanoffs (saw the first two, can definitely recommend, they drop on Friday!)

Netflix:
One Day At A Time
Maniac
Glow
Mindhunter

Thanks :). I haven't seen many of these. Tmw I'll look thru the list and read up on them, hopefully a few catch my eye.

Haunting of Hill House sounds interesting since it's October. No idea what it is but I'll probably def watch it lol.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks :). I haven't seen many of these. Tmw I'll look thru the list and read up on them, hopefully a few catch my eye.

Haunting of Hill House sounds interesting since it's October. No idea what it is but I'll probably def watch it lol.

Hulu:
The Handmaid's Tale
Castle Rock
Harlots
The First

Prime:
Patriot
Forever
Catastrophe
Marvelous Mrs Maisel
Sneaky Pete
Fleabag

Netflix:
One Day At A Time
Maniac
Glow
Mindhunter
In additional to these

Netflix:
Babylon Berlin
Gomorrah
Money Heist
Black Mirror
Peaky Blinders
Narcos
Fauda
Sacred Games
Four Seasons In Havana

Prime:
The Expanse
Trapped
Umbre
The Night Manager
Vikings
Hannibal
The Americans

Hulu:
Atlanta
The Looming Tower
Fargo

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
More or less it was focused in one location, but they did a much better job in having them spread out and do different things. Jesse was more likeable and they leaned into the comedy more, which is one of the show's strengths.
I kind of want to check it out since I watched the first two seasons, but there's just so much to watch now. lol

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
The Purge TV show
Killing Eve - completed all 8 episodes (we got it late here in the UK)
Barry - 4 episodes in

Soon / Daredevil S3

origummy

Sep 24, 2018
Hoping to watch season 2 of Outcast and also check out Lodge 49.

As for new shows I can't wait for The Haunting of Hill House and Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat (the book is amazing.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
When I saw him kneeling on the escalator I thought his pants would just get caught, I didn't expect what happened but I should have with this show.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Something Incredible Happened On '9-1-1' This Week

911-mall.gif

Brian Grubb with all the gruesome details via the link.
OMG. I have to save the episodes to watch with the lady... CAN'T WAIT!

Lodge 49 was a pleasant surprise for anyone curious. The finale was a bit uneven and strange tonally (gotta set up S2) but it was a lovely, languid little thing with some great characters.

Mr. Inbetween has been solid too; finale already tonight. 6 episodes in 3 2-ep bursts. We don't get a lot of Aussie stuff in the US so it was a nice change of pace.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
God Friended Me is a pretty fun show, and I like it so far. What I've seen at least. It's doing a decent job of filling the void that Kevin Probably Saves the World left when it got cancelled. That show deserved better.

My PVR is acting up, though, so I couldn't watch part of a hockey game I recorded and couldn't watch more than the first 10 minutes of episode 2 of GFM. I'll have to watch it online.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely crazy but it's also fun. The characters are endearing. It's sappy melodrama, but the cast is really solid. Angela Bassett, I mean, come on. What more could anyone want?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
God Friended Me is a pretty fun show, and I like it so far. What I've seen at least. It's doing a decent job of filling the void that Kevin Probably Saves the World left when it got cancelled. That show deserved better.

My PVR is acting up, though, so I couldn't watch part of a hockey game I recorded and couldn't watch more than the first 10 minutes of episode 2 of GFM. I'll have to watch it online.
Sounds like your HDD is dying.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Sounds like your HDD is dying.

Probably, but I hope not. I've only had it for a year or so. This is one of several I've had because of issues and old technology (country living sucks).

Two shows, as I've said, have lagged and been unwatchable, but others have been okay. I had it empty, then amassed a bunch of movies and TV shows due to class and gaming and fatigue, so I hope they're all watchable. Like the last 6 episodes of Saul.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
It took me a while to get into Outcast but I was super invested by the end of season 1.

And I'm super curious about Lodge 49! Is it worth buying the season? It's a little pricey but people seem to really like it.

Lodge 49 is a super casual hang out kind of show with a few mysteries, but they aren't very important. It's more about these characters and their lives, and trying to find the things that make them happy. It's super fun to watch!

I don't know if I would suggest buying it before you've seen it. It's very unique and it's not for everyone.

There is this, though, yeah. A clip online might help, to help decide for sure.

origummy

Sep 24, 2018
I don't know if I would suggest buying it before you've seen it. It's very unique and it's not for everyone.

Valid point! I'll do a little more research before I take the plunge.

The AV Club's praise for the show is really what's making me think I'd like it. That and I've really been wanting to watch something a little more relaxed and character-focused lately.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Mr Inbetween wrapped tonight on FX and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The entire cast was spot on (Damon Herriman was seriously underutilized though - he had like 5 minutes total screen time across all episodes) and the humor was great. There wasn't much else to the show besides the charming characters and humor, no real plot to speak of or anything, but that's honestly okay. It's the exact sort of show where charming characters and humor are more than enough to justify its existence.