• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
kevin1025 Did you watch any of Homecoming yet on Amazon? Preview links are out from Amazon. Curious what your impressions are if you've had a chance to watch it.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Re-watching Luther, at the moment. I have a huge backlist but I don't feel like starting anything new.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I have the screeners, but review embargo is October 22nd (and I have a few other things to get to before I can watch them). I'll definitely drop my impressions in on that day!
Cool! Thanks. Not sure I'll have a chance to watch some of it before the preview expires, but I'm looking forward to checking out the series sooner or later.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Caught the All-American pilot, if you've seen the trailer you pretty much know what to expect.

Smart kid from bad neighborhood trying to make a better way for him and his family thru sports- check
Supportive best friend telling him to get out the hood and make something better of himself - check
New rich teammates resistant to the hotshot recruit who could take their spot/girl - check
Glossy CW sheen with numerous musical transitions between scenes- check
Everybody CW pretty including the extras - check

Funniest part to me was he has not one, but 2 girls possibly feeling him off bat. One is the typical pretty, popular girl with D-bag boyfriend. The other is the more socially awkward/best friend type, but she's also ridiculously attractive and no way would she be overlooked in real life.

Not bad by any means, but I don't see myself watching anymore.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching:

The Neighborhood
The Big Bang Theory (Finally it's coming to an end)
Young Sheldon
Bob's Burgers
Supergirl (when it returns)
Black Lightning (Netflix)

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
We finally got a US trailer for Deutschland 86 and it's my favourite type of trailer, the one where they don't feature any dialogue so they don't have to reveal it's not in the English language and features subtitles:

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Because I was bored, I decided to check out the British version of Camping (the poorly reviewed HBO remake is coming this Sunday). It was only 6 episodes, half an hour each, so I was able to crank out the whole thing in a day.

It was mildly funny but overall I found it to be a deeply unpleasant exercise in misery and depravity. The characters, save for but a few, are among the most loathsome I've encountered and their antics get progressively worse until everything finally spirals out of control in the finale where
several characters are sexually assaulted only it's supposed to be funny because they're such awful people.

Given Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner's penchant for depicting awful people doing awful things, I can see what drew them to this project, but I really hope that their version turns out better than the original. The initial reviews don't give me any hope but critics haven't seen the whole thing so maybe a swerve is coming?

The British version doesn't leave any room open for a second season so it's going to be interesting to see how they handle that in the US version. Assuming it ends up in roughly the same place as the original,
I can't imagine any of these characters wanting to spend another second with each other ever again. I know I don't.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
BMDORmt.png

I'm pretty sure this isn't what Amazon was hoping for.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"without a compelling incentive" sums up my feeling towards it. I will try it at some point since I loved Mad Men, but there's so much TV at the moment, and literally all the promotions are is a bunch of grinning rich people and seemingly no narrative hook beyond "stories about people, mildly interesting things may happen"

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon should have sent out the whole season for review - for a series where every episode is standalone, it doesn't make sense to let critics evaluate the whole thing based on 3 episodes.

Yep, definitely agree. The weird part, too, is there's still an embargo on the third episode (maybe for the non-larger places?) until Monday.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Those two Adult Swim specials were basically vintage HB/12oz. If you like em, or ever liked em, they're total throwbacks. I hope they do this with other shows too.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
So...

I actually quite liked the first episode of The Romanoffs? I thought it worked well right up til the ending, which was dumb and came out of nowhere. Critics are complaining about the length of the episodes, but honestly this one needed at least another half hour to properly set up the ending Weiner wanted. Instead, he took a big shortcut to get us there that ultimately left a flat taste in my mouth.

But aside from that, the writing was on point, dialog snappy, great performances from Marthe Keller and Inès Melab, and the lavishness is stirring. Plus the dog!

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
Really liked Mr. Inbetween. The last two episodes were absolutely fantastic as a combo and the whole show was really great.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Just finished Barry.

Really entertaining series, nice mixture of comedy and drama. Don't watch SNL, so first time really seeing Hader in an extended period. He did his thing, really impressed me. Henry Winkler was great and the guy who played Hank.

Didn't realize Janet and Simone from The Good Place were both in the show and dude from You're The Worst.

First time seeing the actress who played Sally and thought she was really good as well.

Curious to see where they go for season 2 considering the ending.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Barry.

Really entertaining series, nice mixture of comedy and drama. Don't watch SNL, so first time really seeing Hader in an extended period. He did his thing, really impressed me. Henry Winkler was great and the guy who played Hank.

Didn't realize Janet and Simone from The Good Place were both in the show and dude from You're The Worst.

First time seeing the actress who played Sally and thought she was really good as well.

Curious to see where they go for season 2 considering the ending.

You should watch Kidding next. It's a good companion to Barry.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I think I liked episode 2 of The Romanoffs less than the first one, although I did still like it overall. I wasn't too sure where they were going with it or how I was supposed to feel about certain characters, but the final moments put the whole thing into perspective and thankfully it turned out me and the show were on the same page. Still, one of the main characters is gross and unpleasant, and even though the show is aware of that, too much time is spent on them when it could have been put to better use in the opposite storyline.

I do like the show though - there really isn't anything else like it on TV. I'm excited for episode 3 but I'm glad Weiner insisted on releasing the episodes weekly. I'm in a rare binge mood but Netflix is going HAM right now and I couldn't take it if Amazon and/or Hulu were dumping shows left and right too.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
^^^ I've just accepted that I'll be forever behind on streaming shows. I simply can't keep up with them. I can do the week-to-week stuff fine.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the premiere of the first two episodes of The Little Drummer Girl, the BBC/ABC production and successor to The Night Manager. I liked it quite a bit but obviously need to see the remaining 4 episodes to solidify an opinion. I've never read the book. Ama

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the premiere of the first two episodes of The Little Drummer Girl, the BBC/ABC* production and successor to The Night Manager. I liked it quite a bit but obviously need to see the remaining 4 episodes to solidify an opinion. I've never read the book. Ama

*AMC

Moar deets! How was the pacing, acting, direction, score, etc. etc.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
*AMC

Moar deets! How was the pacing, acting, direction, score, etc. etc.

We must know more about Florence Pugh and Michael Shannon's mustache.

(I must know more.)

Micheal Shannon is, to no surprise, great. He is a bit hard to understand in places cos of the accent and tache (which is wonderful facial hair). Pugh is great and I had not seen her in much before (she's also tiny in person and so it Edgar Wright who also around for some reason). Skarsgaard is fine but he doesn't talk much, he mostly stands around to look mysterious and hunky which is very good at.

The pacing in the first half of the first episode is a bit off because it bounces between about 4 different countries very rapidly but once the pieces settle in it works great.

It's one of the most filmic looking shows I've ever seen, looks less like television in most parts than some of the actual films I've seen at the festival. Seeing it on a big screen probably helped.

I love Park Chan-Wooks previous work and this is very well directed but it has lost some his trademark quirks, likely due to the producers wanting a true to source adaptation. This definetly isn't as out there an adaptation as Oldboy or the Handmaiden.

I do also worry about how Pro-Israel and pro-torture it may be but that's something I'll need to see the whole series to make a judgement on, I'm sure there's a lot to yet be revealed.

As I said I've never read the book so I don't know what happens next but I'm definetly intrigued.

Edit: Also the music is fine, good in parts but I Greenwood has done a lot better considering he's one of the best soundtrack composers right now

Last edited:

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the premiere of the first two episodes of The Little Drummer Girl, the BBC/ABC production and successor to The Night Manager. I liked it quite a bit but obviously need to see the remaining 4 episodes to solidify an opinion. I've never read the book. Ama
If I eat your brain, will I get to experience just a fleeting glimpse of what you saw?

Accurate.
Accurate.
stands around to look mysterious and hunky which is very good at.
Accurate.

It's one of the most filmic looking shows I've ever seen, looks less like television in most parts than some of the actual films I've seen at the festival. Seeing it on a big screen probably helped.
Oh my word. This is not doing wonders for keeping my hype in check.

I do also worry about how Pro-Israel and pro-torture it may be but that's something I'll need to see the whole series to make a judgement on, I'm sure there's a lot to yet be revealed.
It's John le Carré, nothing is quite that simple.

As I said I've never read the book so I don't know what happens next but I'm definetly intrigued.
As am I!

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Micheal Shannon is, to no surprise, great. He is a bit hard to understand in places cos of the accent and tache (which is wonderful facial hair). Pugh is great and I had not seen her in much before (she's also tiny in person and so it Edgar Wright who also around for some reason). Skarsgaard is fine but he doesn't talk much, he mostly stands around to look mysterious and hunky which is very good at.

The pacing in the first half of the first episode is a bit off because it bounces between about 4 different countries very rapidly but once the pieces settle in it works great.

I love Park Chan-Wooks previous work and this is very well directed but it has lost some his trademark quirks, likely due to the producers wanting a true to source adaptation. This definetly isn't as out there an adaptation as Oldboy or the Handmaiden.

Thanks for this! Sounds exactly what I've been hoping for. This, Homecoming, and Mrs Maisel are the ones I'm most excited for for the rest of the year, with only impossible levels of excitement for Patriot beating them.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I know this is a TV thread, but Game Night was on HBO and it has a lot of actors in it I associate with TV shows. Really funny and entertaining movie.

Skippy

Alt-Account
Oct 8, 2018
FOREVER on Amazon is just pure quality. An excellent show. Its funny, touching and unpredictable. Great cast too. One of my favorite shows this year.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I can now say: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is real good! Kiernan Shipka is a perfect Sabrina, the show is a lot of fun, balancing the fun high school side with the incredibly dark, satanic side. It's also gorgeous, some of the sets are astoundingly good!

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I can now say: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is real good! Kiernan Shipka is a perfect Sabrina, the show is a lot of fun, balancing the fun high school side with the incredibly dark, satanic side. It's also gorgeous, some of the sets are astoundingly good!

How many episodes have you seen and how much of the comic does it adapt?

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
How many episodes have you seen and how much of the comic does it adapt?

I've seen five of the ten. I only know a slight amount about the comics, but the show takes some pieces from Volume 1 and makes it its own. Some parts will definitely be familiar, though.

Also, a massive contender for opening credits of 2018.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen five of the ten. I only know a slight amount about the comics, but the show takes some pieces from Volume 1 and makes it its own. Some parts will definitely be familiar, though.

Also, a massive contender for opening credits of 2018.

Does the
Dark Baptism on her 16th happen in the first 5 episodes?