• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I know we have a few different topics talking about the cross-play mess going on right now, but I thought I'd start this topic to try and get as many people to tweet using #PScrossplay and #FreeThePlayers
Make sure you include @ShawnLayden @yosp @PlayStation and anyone else from SIE in your tweets.

Here's a copy/paste tweet if you want to use that instead. Anyone else we should include?

Hey @PlayStation, your stance on cross-play is both outdated and anti-consumer.
If you really are still #4ThePlayers you will allow #PScrossplay #FreeThePlayers
@ShawnLayden @yosp @aqizil @philrosenberg

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
For me, my view on the matter is that we've got to choose our battles wisely.

The most immediate and damaging issue against Sony-Fortnite right now isn't cross-play, it's cross-progression.

And cross-progression is (in theory) a far easier concession for Sony to accept than cross-play - because literally Sony loses almost nothing by allowing cross-progression whereas cross-play does actually have potential business impact. ( not that it matters to us, but we need to be strategic )

I would emphasis on making the language clear that firstly it's cross-progression that we want. Sure, we want cross-play too, but I think winning the immediate battle on cross-progression while the iron is hot is more important - there's always the risk that the anger subsides after a week and Sony goes back to not caring.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

The most immediate and damaging issue against Sony-Fortnite right now isn't cross-play, it's cross-progression.

And cross-progression is (in theory) a far easier concession for Sony to accept than cross-play - because literally Sony loses almost nothing by allowing cross-progression whereas cross-play does actually have potential business impact. ( not that it matters to us, but we need to be strategic )

I would emphasis on making the language clear that firstly it's cross-progression that we want. Sure, we want cross-play too, but I think winning the immediate battle on cross-progression while the iron is hot is more important - there's always the risk that the anger subsides after a week and Sony goes back to not caring.

This.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

Than #FreeThePlayers

Would actually be a better tag

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
#XProGress
Or
#FtheGamers
Or to include both Xbox and Nintendo maybe
#Fxbox&nintendo
#Xgression
#XPolination
Has to be something catchy.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Cross play doesn't hurt Sony in the least, and cross progression would be solved by the implementation of cross play. There's no reason to half ass this (or excuse Sony).

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
User warned: Drive-by posting, thread derail
hm no i dont care enough about crossplay, and neither does sony

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
I think the hashtag thing died right after the consoles launched. I doubt Sony cares or most of their customers.

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Crossplay is likely easier actually since it doesn't involve payments. For example Sony allows crossplay for Dragon Quest X; you can play with PC, Wii U and Switch owners. They don't allow crossprogession though, your user account and subscription is PS4 only and not transferable to PC, Wii U or Switch.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Another advise is that we avoid cc-ing non-senior Sony executives. A lot of these people are just doing their daily jobs, and while they have the avenue to directly reach out to the execs in-charge, we'd also end up making it seem like we're angry at them - it'd be more focused if we just keep it to the senior leaders.

@PlayStation - Direct Social Media Account
@ShawnLayden - Shawn Layden, Chairman of WWS
@yosp - Shu Yoshida, President of WWS
@aqizil - Asad Qizilbash, Vice President of Marketing
@philrosenberg - Phil Rosenberg, Senior Vice President - Head of Global Publishing/Dev Relations

Among others.

I think the hashtag thing died right after the consoles launched. I doubt Sony cares or most of their customers.

It's better than doing nothing.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#no✖noplay

Edit:. Someone should also come up with a PSA that can be spread around social media warning people not to play fortnite on PS4 if they may want to play on other consoles in the future.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
This needs to happen. Sony needs to understand you can't just disregard all of your userbase like this.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arabs spammed the ever living shit out of Sony/Playstation accounts and their representatives for over a year just to add Arabic.

It worked, despite their lies that it was a technical impossibility.

Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope this thread garners as much attention as the thread that seemingly have people dogpiling on this. This thread at least wants to take action.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

I disagree.

Crossplay is the easier thing to get people rallied behind and easier to understand. Sony will be able to do the research themselves and find the easy concession to make but trying to convince people of a nuanced and less sexy (and more confusing) point to rally behind is taking the teeth out of a movement like this.

Besides, it's poor negotiating tactics to concede automatically from the gate. Demand more and then once people made their point and Sony concedes on cross-progression, then at least the people got that one thing.

TL;DR In other words, it must be all about Cross-play or nothing. Sony can figure out the details and make the small concessions. Dividing the gamers into nuance is the fastest way to make this fizzle out into nothing with nothing to show for it.

OP
OP
Sleve McDichael

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As if Sony cares lol.

How many people would actually drop out of the ecosystem or stop paying for plus over this?
In the immediate future, probably not enough to affect their bottom line in any significant way, but it's definitely a bad look for them right now. They'll need to fix it soon or they'll get left behind.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've done my tweet, this is one area Sony should get with the times. They are winning by a mile, this would have zero negative impact on them at this point and make the gaming community all the better on all platforms.

I'm not even much of a multiplayer gamer really but it's cool to see Xbox and Switch play together and Sony does it with PC, so I don't see the big deal about them allowing play with Xbox and Switch too.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
As if Sony cares lol.

How many people would actually drop out of the ecosystem or stop paying for plus over this?
This gen? None

Next gen? When combined with stuff like backwards compatability and gamepass/EA access like services? Quite a few

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Good post, and I agree wholeheartedly.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean....they been getting slaughtered on Twitter over the last 24 hours. Every video game site is talking about it, it's a PR nightmare at this point.

They are probably prepping a response that has to be signed off on up the chain of command.