• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I looked it up for you. That is Chuckesmee, the animatronic doll they wanted to use in the movie. Until they realised it was a total abomination so they used compuer graphics for Renesmee.

Everytime I type Renesmee the name looks sillier.
e17713089aeb7fe334d57ef56e2b21b6.jpg

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Like I get that they weren't that diverse, but at least give SOME credit that half the good guys are native Americans, probably the least represented minorities we got.

Outside of that, the director seemed open to changing it up but was hindered by a shit bag. I'm not gonna hate on her or the actors and from everything I've seen I'm glad he's gonna be our new Batman.

Oct 25, 2017
Like I get that they weren't that diverse, but at least give SOME credit that half the good guys are native Americans, probably the least represented minorities we got.

Outside of that, the director seemed open to changing it up but was hindered by a shit bag. I'm not gonna hate on her or the actors and from everything I've seen I'm glad he's gonna be our new Batman.

Yeah, Pattinson is going to crush it as Batman.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does the title say "Stephanie Meyer didn't want black characters" when the example given was that the director wanted Alice to be Japanese and she ended up being white?

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I cant get past the halfway mark in the second movie, the first one was terribly entertaining throughout, but then it starts to get realllllll boring and then even quality riffs cant keep you awake

Power through (or just skip to the Breaking Dawn ones). I watched maybe 20 minutes from the last movie (hadn't seen them in forever) and was crying laughing.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still find it amazing that Utah is over 50% Mormon, the fact that over half of a state can belong to a single sect is just baffling.

Dec 24, 2017
I still find it amazing that Utah is over 50% Mormon, the fact that over half of a state can belong to a single sect is just baffling.

The followers of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young felt that the state of Utah was their promised land and they were the only ones who decided to settle that state. And as Mormon persecution raged across the country at the time, they all came to seek refuge there.

Same reason why Maryland was overwhelmingly Catholic for a period of time.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
The title and the quote seem to connote different things.

Title: "Stephanie Meyers hates black people"

Blurb: "The characters are based on people I know, who are also white."

and then, to make it more sinister:

"and then she allowed us to make one of the evil characters black... of course"

I don't want to defend Twilight, since it is bottom-of-the-barrel garbage, even for YA Fiction, but this is a movie which depicts native americans in a pretty noble light, and is based in some small town in Washington, which in reality would probably be 95%+ white.

The author had her "head canon" which was based on how she wrote the characters and sounds like she didn't want that changed for the movie. I don't think there is anything sinister about it.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The followers of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young felt that the state of Utah was their promised land and they were the only ones who decided to settle that state. And as Mormon persecution raged across the country at the time, they all came to seek refuge there.

Same reason why Maryland was overwhelmingly Catholic for a period of time.
But it was only the promised land when they got run the fuck out if Missouri. Because Missouri was Zion. But then it wasn't. Because that's how prophecies work.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
And just when people started to think "maybe we were too harsh on twilight", bamph, we get this megaton.

Why does the title say "Stephanie Meyer didn't want black characters" when the example given was that the director wanted Alice to be Japanese and she ended up being white?

Did you miss the part where she only allowed a black person to portray the evil scary vampires while reciting that she wrote vampires have white, pale, glistening skin?

Dec 24, 2017
But it was only the promised land when they got run the fuck out if Missouri. Because Missouri was Zion. But then it wasn't. Because that's how prophecies work.

This is how it plays in my head.

I think Denver was only settled because people saw the mountains and said "Fuck that noise, we stop here."

The Mormons probably felt the same way, but early Coloradans were like, "We start the fine tradition of being dicks to anyone who comes after us because they aren't as native as we are. No, not real Natives...we're going to genocide them. Mormons, you gotta leave."

And then after they crossed the mountains, they were wandering through the desert and decided "Fuck this, we're tired. This is the land of milk and honey. Go milk an animal and Ezra and Jeb will set up the beehive."

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The title and the quote seem to connote different things.

Title: "Stephanie Meyers hates black people"

Blurb: "The characters are based on people I know, who are also white."

and then, to make it more sinister:

"and then she allowed us to make one of the evil characters black... of course"

I don't want to defend Twilight, since it is bottom-of-the-barrel garbage, even for YA Fiction, but this is a movie which depicts native americans in a pretty noble light, and is based in some small town in Washington, which in reality would probably be 95%+ white.

The author had her "head canon" which was based on how she wrote the characters and sounds like she didn't want that changed for the movie. I don't think there is anything sinister about it.

Sounds pretty similar to explaining away institutionalised racism in fantasy tbh

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think Denver was only settled because people saw the mountains and said "Fuck that noise, we stop here."

The Mormons probably felt the same way, but early Coloradans were like, "We start the fine tradition of being dicks to anyone who comes after us because they aren't as native as we are. No, not real Natives...we're going to genocide them. Mormons, you gotta leave."

And then after they crossed the mountains, they were wandering through the desert and decided "Fuck this, we're tired. This is the land of milk and honey. Go milk an animal and Ezra and Jeb will set up the beehive."

Mormon history is fascinating. It was basically a peoples temple style cult that somehow managed to become a major religion in the U.S.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017

You don't actually have this right, here.

Zion is still in Missouri. In a place Mormons call "Adam-ondi-Ahman." They believe that is where Jesus will go during the second coming. Zion is also in Utah, since that is where the church is headquartered. Zion is also pretty much everywhere, since it just means (to Mormons, at least) "The pure in heart." Wherever you see saints gathered together anywhere in the world, that's Zion to Mormons.

Dec 24, 2017
You don't actually have this right, here.

Zion is still in Missouri. In a place Mormons call "Adam-ondi-Ahman." They believe that is where Jesus will go during the second coming. Zion is also in Utah, since that is where the church is headquartered. Zion is also pretty much everywhere, since it just means (to Mormons, at least) "The pure in heart." Wherever you see saints gathered together anywhere in the world, that's Zion to Mormons.

So, it could be underground in the future where they hold cave raves?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
i still think that the criticism levied at Twilight were coming from a bad place and it was a bit unfair at times.
It's a shame because there's a lot of other reasons to cancel Twilight that we can now properly focus on.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

I like your storytelling style. You could write a whole history course this way! Fascinating.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you miss the part where she only allowed a black person to portray the evil scary vampires while reciting that she wrote vampires have white, pale, glistening skin?

I didn't. The title says the author didn't want black characters, which means that black people specifically were singled out, when the reality is the author wanted the vampire characters to be white. Black people aren't the only victims of this discrimination. The director doesn't even mention wanting to make a vampire black and that being rejected, only wanting to make a vampire Asian and that being rejected.

And while the title makes her sound racist as hell, it would be good to note that half the good guys are Native Americans, one of Bella's friends is Hispanic and another is Asian. The author saw the vampire clan as having pale skin but didn't object to using minorities otherwise.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
In a exotisized, sexualized, noble savage light, maybe.

You can kind of say that about the depiction of vampires as well. The confederate soldier guy came from a culture of poor values and his portrayal was of being the most savage, instinct following of the vampire group.

Edit: I also realize we give J.K. Rowling shit for doing the opposite of this...where she had like a whole white cast of characters but then goes back and tries to be fake woke and say oh, they have always been diverse! this snake was black! this person was always gay! Meyer seemed to not care to pretend.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird Twilight anecdote: That dude Taylor Lautner is excruciatingly polite and pleasant and friendly and nice. We accidentally encountered him and he stopped what he was doing to help us with a tricky moment, then held the door open for us about four times. We thought we recognized him but it took about an hour to twig. He's the second unexpectedly pleasant random celebrity I ever met after Tom Cruise. In both instances I was doing something totally unrelated at an unrelated place of business. Both times I didn't realize who it was until later.

Lautner had a BITCHING car. Like. Damn.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: I also realize we give J.K. Rowling shit for doing the opposite of this...where she had like a whole white cast of characters but then goes back and tries to be fake woke and say oh, they have always been diverse! this snake was black! this person was always gay! Meyer seemed to not care to pretend.

No idea if Rowling is fake or real woke, but I can't be mad about people trying to undo unintentional harms, or evolve, or change. I'm an old-ass man and grew up with so many unchallenged assumptions and I evolved on every one of them (except the Belgians, obviously) simply by being exposed to the victims of my biases and assumptions. I am extremely lucky to have grown up with friends of color in the small, monolithically white place I'm originally from, because otherwise I wouldn't have questioned shit till I was too far gone to think about empathy.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Was it ever true that Twilight was just a tidied up version of a really crappy Harry Potter fan fiction? Somehow that question just came back into my head.

And yeah, that is racist as fuck.

Oh man, now I miss this show, I saw it on Broadway when I visited New York a few years back and afterwards my throat was sore from all the laughing. Loved it. Hope they make a movie version of it soon so I can show my friends why I was so crazy about it when I got back.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
No idea if Rowling is fake or real woke, but I can't be mad about people trying to undo unintentional harms, or evolve, or change. I'm an old-ass man and grew up with so many unchallenged assumptions and I evolved on every one of them (except the Belgians, obviously) simply by being exposed to the victims of my biases and assumptions. I am extremely lucky to have grown up with friends of color in the small, monolithically white place I'm originally from, because otherwise I wouldn't have questioned shit till I was too far gone to think about empathy.
I think the issue with JK Rowling is that her changes don't feel earnest or genuine.

You have admitted to having unchallenged assumptions, and grown from them. It would be the wrong idea to retroactively apply your newfound ideals as if you always had them. Growth is more important than being born with all the right ideas.

People take issue with JK Rowling, and more importantly people like her, because it comes off like she's never been in the wrong and there was a master plan underneath all along. Maybe that somehow, everyone else has been blind for not seeing how progressive her work has been the entire time. It comes off as phony. The bigger picture is that you question the intentions of someone who does such a thing and whether or not they're truly an ally, or just cashing in on some free brownie points.