• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Honest question, were you not aware of Mormon attitudes towards non-white people prior to this?

Being a Mormon writer doesn't automatically mean being against diversity. Sanderson is Mormon and his most central series(Stormlight Archives) features almost zero white characters. The protagonists are almost all definitely not white, and the only prominent white character is a religious nutjob assassin villain.

(Sanderson has said that two characters could be conceivably cast as white in movies but that he wouldn't budge on the protagonist not being white)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I still think Twilight made for good comedy though. We never got the venom semen movie, did we?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zero Shades of Brown

Gray Anatomy

Interview With an Economically Anxious Person

Nosferblackyou

Colorless in Seattle

Fear Dark

30 Days of White

I have a pretty "good one" based on a novel about changing people's eating habits with cutlery and the geographic setting of twilight— but it's like, not even remotely viable for me to type. Or even think really.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Are Mormons racist or something?

Clueless black dude who stans for all people here

Hey black dude who dated a ex-Mormon here and the short answer to this is yes. It wasn't until the 90s (according to my ex anyway) that they even allowed black people to be Mormon's and they all thought we were the son's of Cain cursed to have black skin by God. That isn't taught anymore but Mormon's have a very recent extremely racist past and there are probably loads of racists still in the church. Again all these claims are sourced from my ex so please correct if wrong.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Are Mormons racist or something?

Clueless black dude who stans for all people here
Original Mormon teachings were that black skin was the Mark of Cain, making black people cursed and inherently predisposed to be slaves. They didn't rewrite their teachings to remove this notion til 1978 (after a supposed "revelation"), before then black people weren't allowed to be Mormon priests. Technically they had an "open" policy to races to join the church, but deliberately avoided opening missions in places with large black populations.

Mysteriously they opened up some of these views right about the time they wanted to go to South America for missions to start converting the larger Afro-Latino populations in some of the countries. Lots of tithes and all that.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I can't find where in the article it says that Meyer didn't want black characters. I see where it says that she envisioned them as white and even attributed characters to people in her Mormon upbringing, but nothing specifying they she opposed black characters. Am I missing it?
Insistend on having all white actors, as it was how she envisioned them, but only relented in the case of a scary villian. First post summarized it quite well in a single sentence.

Dec 24, 2017
Being a Mormon writer doesn't automatically mean being against diversity. Sanderson is Mormon and his most central series(Stormlight Archives) features almost zero white characters. The protagonists are almost all definitely not white, and the only prominent white character is a religious nutjob assassin villain.

(Sanderson has said that two characters could be conceivably cast as white in movies but that he wouldn't budge on the protagonist not being white)

I've lived in Utah, there are exceptions to every rule. But in Logan, where I lived. Those were very much exceptions as opposed to the general attitude. And it's not that I think Mormons are evil, I think they are probably the nicest people I've ever encountered. The Mormon Church, is however, one of the most institutionally racist organizations I've ever encountered.

It not overt racism. But it subtle racism. And honestly, for me, that shit is more pervasive and harmful that overt racism.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, another piece of trivia to remember. The Native Amercan tribe in the series actual exists, so they ended up being annoyed that Stephanie Meyer made up the whole werewolf mythology for them when they have their own traditional religious beliefs.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
conflicted about this. i mean if its the creators wish and she had a strong mental image of the characters i can see it being hard to let go of that. but then they did pick a person of color for the evil/antagonistic looking part ... so it makes it look like her mental image of the characers only applies partially, which makes for a weak and transparent argument.
It's some serious internalized racism.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I've lived in Utah, there are exceptions to every rule. But in Logan, where I lived. Those were very much exceptions as opposed to the general attitude. And it's not that I think Mormons are evil, I think they are probably the nicest people I've ever encountered. The Mormon Church, is however, one of the most institutionally racist organizations I've ever encountered.

It not overt racism. But it subtle racism. And honestly, for me, that shit is more pervasive and harmful that overt racism.

Oh yeah that's fair, in hindsight I guess pointing out an exception wasn't really productive of me, sorry, that was kind of "achtually" of me lol. My bad. I'm an immigrant so I know what you mean about the subtle stuff being worse than the over one, I agree with you there.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As someone who thinks "Pattinson is Twilight Dude" but is also vaguely aware that he's considered a fantastic actor outside of that, this video has increased my appetite for The Lighthouse something fierce.

Sometimes we vacation with friends and rotate books amongst each other for beach reading and the two most amazing books we ever experienced as a group were The Da Vinci Code and Twilight.

We are not literary snobs and enjoy a trashy novel but both of those books led to eager astonished conversations over breakfast as people caught up. With Da Vinci it was amusement at the silly mystery-clue-solve-mystery cadence of literally every chapter. But with Twilight it was pure astonishment- it was the trash novel equivalent of Finnegan's Wake in terms of plotting and characters.

The folks who hadn't read it yet thought we were making shit up to troll them at breakfast.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Yeah I definitely call BS on the Mormon thing considering that being racist like that goes against what Mormons should believe in. Stephanie Meyer has always been really disliked among the community anyway not only for her books but also how they characters were portrayed. Plus we had lots of people in Utah not liking the direction she insisted on for the movies.

But I'm a "Mormon" so my words probably don't matter much.

Dec 24, 2017
Oh yeah that's fair, in hindsight I guess pointing out an exception wasn't really productive of me, sorry, that was kind of "achtually" of me lol. My bad. I'm an immigrant so I know what you mean about the subtle stuff being worse than the over one, I agree with you there.

It's all good man. You're reaction was one of not wanting to see someone dismiss something out of place of anger. That's cool. I respect and appreciate that.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems uncharitable to say that an author wanting a movie's characters to look like her book's characters is the same as "not wanting black characters". Ethnicity isn't some perfectly mutable attribute that has no impact on a story or its characters. Imagine some producer insisting that Black Panther needed Wakandans who were Asian and Latinx. I know it's the trendy thing to hate groups of mostly white people doing anything, but that is the reality of many places and it's not unreasonable for some stories to reflect that.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who thinks "Pattinson is Twilight Dude" but is also vaguely aware that he's considered a fantastic actor outside of that, this video has increased my appetite for The Lighthouse something fierce.

Yeah, I had the same experience when encountering some of these quotes years back. Turns out he's sharp as hell.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Everything revolving this franchise has been just pure what the fuck.

I think once the cameras wrapped and they finally ended the promotion, the whole cast said fuck this.

Also wasn't Meyer trying to push a new book lately and no one cared?

I know her Host book is really fucked up.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Brandon Sanderson is the fucking man, and an exception to the rule for Mormons.

He did amazing things when he wrapped up The Wheel of Time. I still get chills recalling some of the events in those books.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Me when Stephanie Meyer gives me a legit reason to dislike her
giphy.gif

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems uncharitable to say that an author wanting a movie's characters to look like her book's characters is the same as "not wanting black characters". Ethnicity isn't some perfectly mutable attribute that has no impact on a story or its characters. Imagine some producer insisting that Black Panther needed Wakandans who were Asian and Latinx. I know it's the trendy thing to hate groups of mostly white people doing anything, but that is the reality of many places and it's not unreasonable for some stories to reflect that.
I don't think you have a leg stand on here given the rest of the statement.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Brandon Sanderson is the fucking man, and an exception to the rule for Mormons.

He did amazing things when he wrapped up The Wheel of Time. I still get chills recalling some of the events in those books.

What I like the most about him(regarding diversity and his views in general I mean, I could gush for hours about his writing) is that he evolves his views and is always striving to improve. His absolute willingness to engage in dialogue with his fans is honestly very very praiseworthy.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
And then for the ten year anniversary of the book she released a gender swapped version.
The gender swapped version was the one that was leaked. She released it for the public on the ten year anniversary.
Is that why the first black vampire the audience was introduced to was evil and dies in the same movie he shows up in?
The black vampire is actually the "nicest" of the 3 bad vamps that they meet. He comes back to warn them about the evil white male vamp who wants to kill Bella. In the second movie he warns Bella about the evil white female vamp that now wants to kill Bella lol. He dies then as he tries to kill Bella himself.

Writing that out, it's a mess.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I think another newsworthy part of that article is how Catherine Hardwicke got done dirty after that film. Every Twilight film after and every big YA adaptation was directed by men and neither she nor any other female director she knew ever got a call asking them to direct one.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Did she have creative control? Don't they know to always give authors shitty contracts so they can change the story, alter the endings for more sequels and give them a low percentage in royalties.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with religions evolving to stop doing horrific shit. Catholic Church on evolution and cosmology (and hopefully priest abuse which will take a lot more than "sorry ") - Mormon church on race. But they're all inconsistent and pick and choose enemies based on very weak and wholly inconsistent scripture - homosexuality and abortion in particular are used as victims because they reduce the practical production of new members and are still socially acceptable enemies in some places - in large part because of those very inconsistencies and religious attacks.

It's a vicious cycle that they have the power to break almost overnight. And people can pressure them from within and without the church. Call them on it.

None of them has any special claim to veracity and while the tithing and other aspects bother me foundationally — I feel like we'll make faster progress by pressuring change of policy rather than trying to change beliefs.

Mormon church has a very recent issue with race and raises millions of dollars to attack gay rights. They need to endure the scrutiny and pressure on sex and politics that they did during the 70s on race.

Mind you even the Holy See doesn't try blatant bullshit like this, "in 1978, the First Presidency and the Twelve, led by church president Spencer W. Kimball, declared they had received a revelation that the time had come to end these restrictions. After this revelation, people of African descent could hold priesthood offices and could be granted temple admittance."

I mean this is post Space Age. They also had another miraculous revelation on polygamy when it threatened the church's existence although polygamy never seemed to be 100% ok with the early church.

Scientology has even less "historical veracity" but the scam-only aspect of that church means they're given way less mainstream acceptance. Technically you can be a Mormon for free. Scientology is trademarked and copyrighted.

Anyway we can pressure all of them to be better with sometimes powerful results.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
The gender swapped version was the one that was leaked. She released it for the public on the ten year anniversary.

The black vampire is actually the "nicest" of the 3 bad vamps that they meet. He comes back to warn them about the evil white male vamp who wants to kill Bella. In the second movie he warns Bella about the evil white female vamp that now wants to kill Bella lol. He dies then as he tries to kill Bella himself.

Writing that out, it's a mess.
No, Midnight Sun, the book from Edwards POV was the leak iirc.
The gender swap one was the surprise.
It is funny how 50 shades was Twilight fan fic and EL James best Meyer to the punch of redoing a novel from the man's perspective.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
No, Midnight Sun, the book from Edwards POV was the leak iirc.
The gender swap one was the surprise.
It is funny how 50 shades was Twilight fan fic and EL James best Meyer to the punch of redoing a novel from the man's perspective.
Midnight Sun is the gender swap one. It's basically the Twilight book told from Edward's point of view.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Did she have creative control? Don't they know to always give authors shitty contracts so they can change the story, alter the endings for more sequels and give them a low percentage in royalties.

Not when you're dealing with a massive franchise, and the author has enough power to dictate their terms before signing away the film rights.

Sometimes this works out fine, like J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter (which would have been Americanized if not for her specific direction.)

And sometimes...you have an E.L. James/"50 Shades" situation.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I definitely call BS on the Mormon thing considering that being racist like that goes against what Mormons should believe in. Stephanie Meyer has always been really disliked among the community anyway not only for her books but also how they characters were portrayed. Plus we had lots of people in Utah not liking the direction she insisted on for the movies.

But I'm a "Mormon" so my words probably don't matter much.
I mean...Mormon teachings were explicitly racist until the 90's.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
As if there weren't already plenty of reasons to not be fond of that series

Here we are