• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Remember when I said I'd share photos from the Twin Peaks fest earlier this year? I'll try and get around to that today. Had a great time doing the Q+A panel with an insane amount of the cast and crew, and leading one of the bus tours of the filming locations.

For now here's a (blurry) picture of the panel. That's me on the far left next to John 'Deputy Chad' Pirruccello. Learning all their names was the hardest part. I only goofed up slightly by calling Christa Bell 'Christa' which she doesn't prefer. She was cool about it though.

fb_img_1532766699311p3ihz.jpg

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The possibility of Season 4 makes me so happy. I'm not actually expecting it, but I can dream!

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
Maybe they should make two short seasons of about 8 episodes instead of one long season, so we don't have to wait that long.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they should make two short seasons of about 8 episodes instead of one long season, so we don't have to wait that long.

if it happens, it'd be because of whatever kind of inspiration struck lynch. if he feels compelled to make another 16 hour movie, we'd probably have to wait.

hell, if he feels like making a cryptic 15 minute short, that'd be cool.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Room to Dream is now on Spotify - well worth a listen if you haven't read it already.

Has anyone here discussed how the green glove was originally going to be worn by Pete?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm unsure if Pete having the glove would've made that scene any less terrible. But I'll certainly give Room to Dream a shot!

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here discussed how the green glove was originally going to be worn by Pete?
"I had the green-glove idea from long ago and originally Jack Nance was going to wear it, and that would've been a whole different thing."

Jack Nance played Pete, but he wasn't just Pete.
I wouldn't be surprised if the idea predates Twin Peaks, just like all the other scraps of unfilmed projects from the '70s that made their way into the new show.

It seems that Lynch has always been fascinated by the mystical properties of a single rubber glove.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I personally believe the late, great Jack Nance would have been able to elevate the green glove scene far beyond what misc. youtuber kid conveyed on screen.

Over a year on and I'm still tied between Freddie and Tammy for the show's biggest missteps. Oh, and Moby & co's reaction to the kid getting hit by the car.

Manalicream

Sep 12, 2018
I personally believe the late, great Jack Nance would have been able to elevate the green glove scene far beyond what misc. youtuber kid conveyed on screen.

Over a year on and I'm still tied between Freddie and Tammy for the show's biggest missteps. Oh, and Moby & co's reaction to the kid getting hit by the car.

Freddie is really, really bad.

Manalicream

Sep 12, 2018
Yep. On the other hand, I was unsure about the finale when it aired but it's haunted me ever since. It's like Richard-Coop and Carrie are stuck in this dream-void, like a vacuum, and it's terrifying. I wouldn't have it any other way.

The finale is excellent. I remember watching it at 3am when it aired and it freaked me out. The long driving scene, hoping something will happen, but nope more driving.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
The finale is excellent. I remember watching it at 3am when it aired and it freaked me out. The long driving scene, hoping something will happen, but nope more driving.

yeah, why have interesting things happen when you can be super boring and call it "art"

I like Lynch usually but Season 3 was about 40% longer than it needed to be.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Come on Frost or Lynch, could really do with that Season 4 announcement right about now...

Whilst I'm sticking with my personal theory on the final episode being:

A 'prison/trap' dimension created by Judy to stop Cooper rescuing Laura Palmer in Episode 17

...I heard an alternate take on it from a podcast a few weeks back which I found interesting:

Twin Peaks itself is a 'dream world' that takes things from the outside world and turns them into the weird and kooky TV-drama reality once they cross its borders. So, Cooper was just a dour FBI agent in the real-world who upon crossing the boundary into Twin Peaks, became the slightly screw-loose Cooper we all know. (Also why Laura Palmer goes from being the centre-of-attention prom-queen girl, to what a rural life might well have realistically had laid out for her: A job as a waitress.) The influence of the power around the town having spread out either over time, or because of people moving outwards and spreading it that way.

We can all dream about the return of Twin Peaks, and then we go back to Twin Peaks.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Oh man, that second theory paired up with this gif. All we need is Cooper's "we live in a dream" to complete it all. Omgomgomgomg :p

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't change a thing about Season 3. I don't love every second of it, but it all added up to a wonderful experience. Knowing how Lynch and Frost work, I don't think it would be the same if they didn't have complete creative control. And there is no other version of this season otherwise.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I realize some hate it, but I love Season 3's pacing. I think it's very clear Lynch (and probably Frost's) take forever getting to the stuff people wanted on purpose, and not to wallow in it or nostalgia. It was a lot of fun watching live and discussing with people, to the point I'd say wstching it live with people was one of my favorite televised "experiences" ever. I think everything was paced very well for what Season 3 is, but S3 was not what everyone wanted or expected. I know this wasn't really Lynch's or Mark's intent on this following point, but Season 3 works beautifully as a modern deconstruction of revivals, remakes, people over-analyzing, and how we consume media in the current age (how we're used to immediate reward and easily consumable things, answers to every question which we can search online for, and shortening attention spans in the online era). Unintentional as it is, it's kinda' hilarious how the first episode is some glacial build-up to a guy watching an empty box all day and then when getting into the "Glass Box and Chill" phase with his girl, he misses the most important moment he's been waiting for and then gets murdered. It's actually almost too good an allegory for the whole entire season.

I think it was very much the intent to not give people exactly what they wanted, but I think what Season 3 happens to be is utterly fascinating and unlike anything else. And I think it's sometimes glacial pace does actually contribute towards it. More so, I think there's a lot of the show that is actually truly excellent even if not what people wanted. I remember when it was going live, people were so frustrated with Dougie for example, but frankly Dougie's whole story arc in the series I think is very well done. Likewise, while a lot of things are raised and never answered, I think there's some wonderful payoff to some threads, like what's happening to Laura's mother and with Diane.

I also did a complete series re-watch and I think Season 3 fits near perfectly to the rest of the series. This will sound weird, but the second half of Season 2 I never have disliked as much as other people (though the Jame's subplot is legitimately terrible). I do agree it gets better once the story starts picking up closer to the Season 2 finale, but I kinda' enjoy some of the plot threads and generally the weird antics of that part of the series. However, it contrasts almost perfectly with the third season in a way I think is enjoyable. We go from kinda' seeing too much of the characters in Season 2's second half to almost too little. For example, I sorta' miss the Sheriff's department in the third season, it's in the third season but it as a setting and it's characters are in the background a lot until towards the very end (and even then, Sheriff Truman missing is felt). But then there's almost too much of the Sheriff's station and its characters in the Season 2 lull doing their shenanigans, so going from that to Season 3 has this interesting effect on the show as a cohesive whole where the station sorta' gets this shadow cast over it (both literally and figuratively). It's old and empty feeling, there's something's wrong with it in the third season from what we've known of it (corruption in a literal sense, but the whole town of TP in the third season has "something wrong with it"). Its absence contributes to the build-up at the end of Season 3 when shit begins going down at the station, and the contrast of going from the cheery abudence of the station in the second season heading into the third season gives this unnatural ominous feel. And a lot of the brief snippets we see of the old cast feel like cap-offs in a similar vein to FWWM's Missing Pieces scenes (actually it's interesting how it's some of the same characters we see before and after briefly between FWWN as a prologue and Season 3 as a time jump) in a positive way. It's a bit hard to put into words, but I think Season 3 works very well as the sorta' series conclusion, and I think brings something new to the series at a juncture when the show needed it after the Season 2 lull, as it really changes up the pace and the slowburn pacing gives it this sometimes incredibly menacing feeling and almost like something is slowly boiling. As there was a 25 year gap, it's easy to want the thing you already knew you liked/loved, but Season 3 I think works better to the work as a whole and helps elevate the earlier seasons rather than moving forward maintaining the same tone (which the series needed after Season 2).

Weird thoughts, I know. But rewatching the whole series, including Fire Walk With Me and the Missing Pieces, cemented this is my favorite show. And I think Season 3 works really well with Season 1 & 2, and more so Fire Walk With Me kinda' works as a good transition piece going from the Season 2 lull to Season 3, especially with the Missing Pieces additions, as Fire Walk With Me is like half-way between what the original series was and what Season 3 is.

Oct 25, 2017
Dougie's whole story arc in the series I think is very well done
I kind of love how Dougies arc is such a stark contrast to the rest of the season. It's a story about a man who literally has no ounce of evil or ill will in his body just stumbling through his day and either having karma or the good nature of otherwise selfish people come out and help him out.

It's kinda beautiful and ridiculously hopeful in a weird lynchian way.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting up season 1 again and god damn, this show just hits me weird in the gut. It's like this heavy feeling of nostalgia. Like I almost want to cry when I hear the songs. I've never had a piece of media effect me that way. Now I relate Chromatic Shadows to the show as well so whenever I hear that it does the same thing.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
The back half of S2 does have a lot of interesting stuff, mostly related to where the series is going/changing in regard to its mythology with the lodges. It's such a drag the first time, but once you've already seen it you can realize how important many of those scenes are. Many subplots still reside in cringe city and are a chore. I skip James' trip and a few other moments on rewatches.

Also, Dusk Golem nailed that analysis.

Oct 29, 2017
Kyle's Twitter game is pretty strong.

Someday I'll seriously do a room like The Black Lodge for a theater or something. When I have money. Maybe.
It is, but I have to wonder if someone else does some of it. There was a... I wanna say Variety profile on him the other year and he was portrayed as a little slow on the tech side. He was gifted one of those juicer machines that you could just squeeze the juice out of the bag, and was a bit confused by it.

Stuff like the all emoji plot of Dune makes me think he has a ghost writer. He probably did this tweet though.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
honestly at this point I would take anything TP related. It can't be any worse than most of S3.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I wished TP would return but I think he might be done with it

..but yay, new Lynch project on the horizon I guess

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested regardless of what it is, it could be one of short films or music videos though.