• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Minneapolis%20Skyline%20Phoenix%20Condo%20Minnesota.68.jpg

Ohhh don't cha know that the Twin Cities is a fine place to be!

With the Super Bowl coming in 2018, our Senators being major players in politics, and the winter season quickly approaching, we have plenty to be passive aggressive about.

If you're a local or just visiting, feel free to come on in for some Minnesota nice! Just don't you dare take the last piece of pie without asking!

I will edit this OT as we grow and progress. Welcome aboard!

Brewery Favorites
(Special thanks to disillusion386)

Able
BAAbleBrewery11.jpg

Bauhaus
biergarten_6129073653406e7535d0fff4df27d2dc.jpg

Day Block
20140703-150832-54512435.jpg

Fulton
fulton.jpg

Modist
facebook_event_176505909516436.jpg

Surly (The king in the North!)
The-Surly-Destination-Brewery-and-Beer-Gardens-04.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'll join in! Moved to Minneapolis two years ago and enjoying it. Love the craft beer scene here so maybe we can put together a good list in the OP?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there are just so many.

Surly (definitely my fave not just because of the the selection, but also the space)
Able
Fulton
Northbound
Dayblock
Modist

Gotta give a shout to Dangerous Man too. Really unique spot.

We're hitting up Sisyphus this weekend so we'll see how that goes.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit dude. Nice, quick work!

I'll think of other things we can include. Maybe some of the other cool things to do like the state/city parks, the food scene and some of the cool neighborhoods. Most people who visit here only know Mall of America for some reason.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit dude. Nice, quick work!

I'll think of other things we can include. Maybe some of the other cool things to do like the state/city parks, the food scene and some of the cool neighborhoods. Most people who visit here only know Mall of America for some reason.

Yah, I'll work on some park/outdoor things later. I'm a big camper/outdoor guy myself.

Keep me in the loop. I met a lot of previous people who were Twin Cities people, hoping we can get a bit more active here.

Oct 25, 2017
Yah, I'll work on some park/outdoor things later. I'm a big camper/outdoor guy myself.

Keep me in the loop. I met a lot of previous people who were Twin Cities people, hoping we can get a bit more active here.

Yeah, would love to see more people in here too. If you want, I can edit my first reply in this thread with more content so that the OT doesn't get too bloated.

In other news, first snow of the season today.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Able is one of the worst breweries I have ever suffered through

Shout-out to Uncle Frankies hot dogs across the street, though

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is with all this fucking snow.

25 years and still not used to this bullshit tbh

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Nice! It's usually the opposite from what I've heard: people travel out of the Twin Cities and into cities with better temperatures, lol.

Hope you enjoyed your stay here nonetheless!

Thanks I did! I'm basically stuck in this region so the temp doesn't bother me lol

I mostly just go up a couple times a year to see a friend, but I've lately been going on solo sightseeing

Got to check out the Basilica of St Mary in Minn, and then St Paul's Cathedral and the James J Hill House in St Paul last year

8208784345_16626b7bf2_b.jpg

cuz that's a cool house

The Mill Museum was a surprisingly interesting place to tour as well

Mill-City-Museum-Minneapolis.png

And then this year, after avoiding it I went to the Mall of America for the first time and had an okay time. Not buying anything really, just seeing the sights and interesting people :p

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
God damn was it cold in downtown mpls. I feel sorry for the folks coming into the Twin Cities for the Super Bowl weekend, lol.

That Rae Sremmurd concert was garbage though.

Also, hi to whoever has to go through traffic this weekend :(

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Man.... The change in weather isn't meshing too well with my allergies. My eyes have been itchy lately, lol.

Anybody going to the Burger Battle next Saturday though?

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Color me interested. Where is it and who is battling?

It's on Harriet Island. You pay for your ticket which includes (from the webpage):
Tickets are all-inclusive. Unlimited food and drink, including offerings from every restaurant, beer from Summit and Fulton and soft drinks as well!

The 5th Annual Twin Cities Burger Battle is back in on May 19th, at Harriet Island in St. Paul. This year's battle will bring the Twin Cities' best local burger joints and restaurants to serve up burgers for attendees. The $60 all inclusive ticket will allow guests to enjoy unlimited beer and burgers from all participating local restaurants and breweries. Guests will enjoy live local music and cast their vote to crown the People's Choice winner. A panel of judges will vote to crown the Twin Cities Burger Battle champion of 2017. Live musical performances and activities will run throughout the event. A portion of the proceeds are donated to The Sanneh Foundation.

Two years they had all these places:
6928819.png

I went there two years ago and had a blast. I'm a small dude so I got full pretty quick and wasn't able to try every burger, lol.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Edit: redacted some personal information, suffice to say that I am happy to live here.

Last edited:

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know ZOONAMI..... Not active enough in here and it might possibly get more responses if there were a Meetup thread. That's just me though.

Seeing that storm come in last night was pretty cool. Lol. Was outside with my dog and noticing the skies changing was scary.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it was super weird. Got all dark, super windy, seemed like it was about to down pour, then it moved off.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok just posting here for hopefully some more visibility to the surly meetup 4pm this Saturday. Will also bump that thread.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Twin Cities ERA! I will be in Minneapolis next month for five nights and wanted to ask about some recommendations for the following items:
  • Brunch places
  • Dive bars
  • Cocktail lounges
  • Fancy/swanky restaurants
  • Bars or clubs with great music (preferably without cover)
  • Must-try city specific food items
Also, I'm totally down for a meet up while I'm in town (June 11-16). Let me know!

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi Twin Cities ERA! I will be in Minneapolis next month for five nights and wanted to ask about some recommendations for the following items:
  • Brunch places
  • Dive bars
  • Cocktail lounges
Also, I'm totally down for a meet up while I'm in town (June 11-16). Let me know!

Here are some recs

Brunch: Hell's Kitchen, Birchwood Cafe, French Meadow, Lake Elmo Inn, Victor's 1959 (delicious Cuban joint)

Dives: 331 Club is probably my fave, music most nights no cover, CC Club, The Dubliner (has Irish music pretty often no cover), Vegas lounge, Palmers bar, nomad world pub

Cocktails: Young Joni has an excellent back bar/speak easy, Volstead's Emporium also a speak easy, Prohibition bar on top of the Foshay tower, Marvel bar

Restaurants: Popol Vuh, Animales BBQ (not fancy, actually a food truck at a brewery but they have 2 huge smokers, hands down best BBQ in the city), Capital Grille, Oceanaire, Kaiseki Furukawa, NE Social, Hai Hai is super fun, Bachelor Farmer, Meritage

Music: have covers but gotta check out First Ave (prince's old stomping grounds), Turf Club recommended, more fancy check out the orpheum, Guthrie theater is a nice tour as well with great views of the river valley coming into the city

Clubs: I'm not going to be the most helpful here as I'm not much of the clubbing type. Maybe Honey in NE or some stuff in the warehouse district aka north loop. If you're into ultimate dive bar karaoke check out Vegas lounge on a Friday or Saturday. Nomad world pub does have some DJs. Oh Kitty Cat Club does too (and a lot of live stuff) and is super cool like art deco loungey

Specific food: try a juicy Lucy at Matt's bar, and some fried walleye I suppose.

I don't know if you like beer but imo these are the best breweries: Dangerous Man, Inbound, Pryes, Indeed, Sociable for cider

Recommended cool stuff: You have to check out the stone arch bridge and waterfront area as well along St Anthony main. University of Minnesota mall area is a nice spot to check out as well for old buldings. Walker Art Center is a cool modern art Museum with the classic cherry on a spoon in the sculpture garden. Also uptown and lake bde maka ska, and lake harriet pavilion and rose garden. St Paul you could maybe check out like Rice Park, landmark center, St Paul hotel. Meritage is an excellent restaurant right there. Keg & Case market off west 7th is cool too.

I'd also recommend jaunts over to Lake Minnetonka and Stillwater if you have the time (those are like 30 min trips). Duluth/lake Superior if you have more time. 2.5-3hrs from the cities.

That about covers it I think. June 11-16 I think I'm around far as I know but things pop up.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
  • Brunch places
  • Dive bars
  • Cocktail lounges

Nice! Here are a few of my favorite places that Zoonami hasn't mentioned:

Sea Salt Eatery (seafood place with great po boys in Minnehaha Park, which is also a great tourist spot that has a waterfall)
Bar la Grassa (really awesome innovative Italian)
Spoon & Stable (all around great fancy restaurant)
Blue Door (another place to get juicy lucy's)
Tullibee (it's the fancy restaurant and bar in the lobby of the Hewing hotel. I've only gone for cocktails)
Revival (amazing fried chicken and southern comfort food)
Handsome Hog (this is in St. Paul, but great BBQ)

We also have several fantastic craft breweries that you should check out. I really enjoy Dangerous Man Brewing.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Here are a few of my favorite places that Zoonami hasn't mentioned:

Sea Salt Eatery (seafood place with great po boys in Minnehaha Park, which is also a great tourist spot that has a waterfall)
Bar la Grassa (really awesome innovative Italian)
Spoon & Stable (all around great fancy restaurant)
Blue Door (another place to get juicy lucy's)
Tullibee (it's the fancy restaurant and bar in the lobby of the Hewing hotel. I've only gone for cocktails)
Revival (amazing fried chicken and southern comfort food)
Handsome Hog (this is in St. Paul, but great BBQ)

We also have several fantastic craft breweries that you should check out. I really enjoy Dangerous Man Brewing.

Nice yeah I just thought of adding minnehaha falls.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you ZOONAMI and disillusion386! I forgot to mention, I'm a HUGE art nerd so the Walker Art Center is a must. Would anyone here know any other emerging contemporary art spaces?

The Minneapolis Institute of Art (MIA) is worth checking out but their collection is generally more historical. You could also check out various galleries in the NE arts district. Rogue Buddha is cool, and the Northrup king building has a ton of studios. The Weissman art museum at the U of M is also contemporary and the architect of the building is Frank Gehry who also did the Guggenheim in Bilbao, etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I also always recommend going to the MidTown Global Market - it's one of the best areas with about 30 different food options from all around the world.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also I gotta say 40 posts for an OT thread for like the 12th biggest metro in the US is kinda funny. There must just not be a lot of us.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well in the interest of the thread there is a new BBQ joint in NE I wanna try out, Trevail chef started it. Minnesota BBQ Company. I'll update once I've tried it. Otherwise I've tried everything and Animales is fucking legit. Like better than KC bbq joints. So def check it if you haven't.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Well in the interest of the thread there is a new BBQ joint in NE I wanna try out, Trevail chef started it. Minnesota BBQ Company. I'll update once I've tried it. Otherwise I've tried everything and Animales is fucking legit. Like better than KC bbq joints. So def check it if you haven't.

Have you tried Beast yet? It's in NE where legends use to be. I've been meaning to try it as I work less than a mile away. Also Q fanatic in Champlin is fantastic, I believe they have a location in Minneapolis that opened recently.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is a food truck that is permanently parked at able brewery. They have 2 giant smokers. It's legit.