• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
yeah lemme just go ahead and get rid of my potential audience and completely exclude people who may eventually become subscribers

why would anyone want this

Nov 3, 2017
Communities are the heart of twitch

So we're gonna make it harder to be a part of them by putting them behind a paywall?

Fantastic

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Something I hope none of the streamers I watch use, luckily theyve all said they already arent

Oct 26, 2017
It's useful for small bonus streams as a incentive for subbing. I don't expect people to lock their major stream time behind this.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Can't see many streamers use this, but I'm sure companies, organisations and event runners will be all over pay to view streams.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
yeah lemme just go ahead and get rid of my potential audience and completely exclude people who may eventually become subscribers

Say Ninja gets a Fortnite update early to test. Say he keeps that on his sub-only stream. People not subscribing then really want to see what the new stuff is, so they then subscribe.
Same as how gaming sites like Giant Bomb do it, specific content for subs only.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Garbage option. Subscriber chat mode was good enough. Ain't no one need this feature because you know it'll only be the bigger streamers that use this shit to get as many subs as they can. Just promotes greed.

MagicPhone

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Funny people are so amazed by this. Seems like smart streamers will use the Giant Bomb method, most content open to all, with specific series behind the paywall. As a guy who doesn't use twitch that often, this sounds like an actual reason to subscribe to a channel, which I never really got before.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
The very moment a streamer I'm throwing my prime sub at starts doing this I'll just throw it to someone else.

JohnnyEnglish

Apr 15, 2018

As a streamer myself, sometimes I want to do special streams for my supporters. It's not something you do all the time. It's no different than providing exclusive content for people who support a patreon.

Not to mention you don't want to lot a toxic of people watching certain streams. This is a good way to stream sometimes without the trolls.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017

I think its mostly for streamers who already have lots of people watching their streams usually. And this would be a good way to convert non-subs to subs by enticing them to be able to watch the 'secret-stream'.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Funny people are so amazed by this. Seems like smart streamers will use the Giant Bomb method, most content open to all, with specific series behind the paywall. As a guy who doesn't use twitch that often, this sounds like an actual reason to subscribe to a channel, which I never really got before.

Giant Bomb was the first thing that came to mind. But there's a lot of people here with a "Fuck Streamers" mentality so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of backlash here.

I'm all for streamers getting more tools

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, Dr. D can live stream in bathrooms, knowing that only his trusted subscribers will see that premium content. Bye haters!

/s

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That's a yikes from me dawg.
Yikes as a response on Era has officially lost all meaning lol.

There's a way this could make sense, as people mentioned the GB Premium model. You'd need to have a pretty sizable audience to be able to sustain it though, smaller streamers wouldn't have the clout to throw around like that.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I think it can work for those huge IRL streamers that already have a following and can hype some kind of crazy stream in advance and you gotta be there or you'll miss out!!!! That kind of thing. Certainly not the side of Twitch I'm interested in.

Oct 26, 2017
There's been subscriber only VODs for years so I'm surprised it took so long to add the live version.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Most streamers aren't gonna use this. They want the biggest audience possible.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Just wait until they actually start incentivizing bigger streamers to do subscriber only streams.

It will turn Twitch into the gaming version of Netflix.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
If they would allow NSF content I would get the business behind it.
This? however? Maybe some "educational Pro Stream Tips and Tricks".

grassblade

Oct 27, 2017
Don't see why this is a problem. How is it any different then Patreon only bonus podcasts? It's good to give steamers more options on how they deliver content/streams.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Giant Bomb was the first thing that came to mind. But there's a lot of people here with a "Fuck Streamers" mentality so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of backlash here.

I'm all for streamers getting more tools

Giantbomb has subscriber specific content, are they going to be locking these VODs down as well?

I don't have a fuck streamers mentality, I have a fuck racist toxic streamers, which seem to be numerous on Twitch.

Edit: Also listening to streamers, they don't really know what this is for either, even for charity streams you'd want the most eyes. If you aren't growing as a streamer, you're getting left behind.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This will only be used by irl streamers and youtube andys

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Nothing inherently wrong with this but funny to hear this is what they're focusing their messaging on instead of those two high-profile cases of accounts that by all rights should have been banned. Especially when it's not a useful for feature for most people using the site.

At least "videos go sideways" would have some use for people who stream TATE-mode arcade games, for example...

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes as a response on Era has officially lost all meaning lol.
Someone said something bad? "Yikes"
Company made dumb decision? "Yikes"
Someone diagnosed with some sickness? "Yikes"
Worst word on the site.

I rarely use twitch but sometimes I just want to watch some talent streamer play a game for a bit and move on. I know I'm not the intended target audience but I cant see this lighting the world on fire.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Giantbomb has subscriber specific content, are they going to be locking these VODs down as well?

I don't have a fuck streamers mentality, I have a fuck racist toxic streamers, which seem to be numerous on Twitch.

Edit: Also listening to streamers, they don't really know what this is for either, even for charity streams you'd want the most eyes. If you aren't growing as a streamer, you're getting left behind.

Sub-only VODs have been a thing for years (Evo used to charge for them).

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Curious how they will encrypt this as currently you can just grab the stream URL and use something like VLC or Media Player to play it. They will probably do it the way Netflix does.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
In the land where subscriber count is king, I can't see anyone wanting to stream without the potential to gain new followers. Bonus streams I guess, but still.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sub-only VODs have been a thing for years (Evo used to charge for them).

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Curious how they will encrypt this as currently you can just grab the stream URL and use something like VLC or Media Player to play it.

I'm assuming for subscriber only streams you'd have to authenticate somehow. I'm sure people will find a way to use VLC even with this in mind by attaching the correct cookie or something.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is probably an item more for the smaller streamers who have 100-200 viewers, rather then the 1000+ streamer. Reason being, you just don't have that much to offer your subscribers. The emotes are tied to how many subs you have, so low sub-count streamers struggle to offer people much more than a Discord channel access. Used correctly, I can definitely see this increasing peoples' sub counts.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
So those sub only steams can basically act as 'premium content' on top of a streamers regular content... kinda like how the likes of Giantbomb have subscriber only content alongside their free content.