• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Yeah twitch has racist assholes, but your example isn't even one of racism. It's feels like you were upset about something someone said and used a title with racism in it to appear more legitimate.

Its not that what was said wasn't reprehensible but this forum will loose quality and respect if people get upset about things then try to tie them to more widely disapproved topic to drum up outrage.

If this thread was titled someone on twitch says something stupid, it would be true to what you are talking about and feel less like outrage bait.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, you just have to be cognizant of the fact that the community surrounding video games is almost entirely this.

You either ignore it or play along with it (like a lot of people here), try to fight against it (like a few people here), or avoid it like the plague (like me).

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Yeah twitch has racist assholes, but your example isn't even one of racism. It's feels like you were upset about something someone said and used a title with racism in it to appear more legitimate.

Its not that what was said wasn't reprehensible but this forum will loose quality and respect if people get upset about things then try to tie them to more widely disapproved topic to drum up outrage.

If this thread was titled someone on twitch says something stupid, it would be true to what you are talking about and feel less like outrage bait.
Read the thread:

He just admitted today on a podcast that he says some very crazy racist and homophobic things in private with his friends. He stopped say "fag" around one friend who he believes truly hates gay people because he didn't want to be seen as an ally. He admits his private chat logs would be a big issue because he goes all out with his friends in private. To say he isn't racist, homophobic, etc is almost guaranteed a lie.

You can understand social and political structures while not ascribing to them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people think that trying to control what others say will actually work ? If someone is racist, homophobic, etc why don't you consider ignoring them?

Things in life tend to "work out" and the opposite of that is for people who are assholes.....it doesn't usually end well for them. To take it upon yourself to try and control what others say is (imo) a mega waste of energy. If you were happy with your own life following your own passion and working towards your own goals, I hardly think you'd have time to sit on the internet and try and police others for saying negative shit you don't agree with.

My two cents :)

The issue isn't that they exist, you can't help the fact that they exist. But you can set standards for what is and isn't acceptable in society. If racists exist but they are unable to act because they know that they can't get away with it, then the negative effect of the existence of racism is reduced, and the spread of their ideologies will likely be more difficult as well.

No one is pretending that punishing them is going to make them stop being racist deep in their heart. That was never the goal.

OP
OP
subpar spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

Did you even watch it? It's just the first hour. You can watch at the 1:05:00 and see more obvious examples. They downplay him calling someone a "retarded fag", say things like, "Chat spamming TriHard whenever I say blacksmith doesn't make them racist" or how he mispoke in his anti-women on Twitch rant and his intention wasn't to be hateful. They consistently downplay a lot of factors of racism while at the end of that segment saying, "I say a lot of racist shit in private with my non-racist friends. If those logs leaked then my career would be over."

You should probably dedicate a bit of time to go through the first hour.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Why do people think that trying to control what others say will actually work ? If someone is racist, homophobic, etc why don't you consider ignoring them?

Things in life tend to "work out" and the opposite of that is for people who are assholes.....it doesn't usually end well for them. To take it upon yourself to try and control what others say is (imo) a mega waste of energy. If you were happy with your own life following your own passion and working towards your own goals, I hardly think you'd have time to sit on the internet and try and police others for saying negative shit you don't agree with.

My two cents :)
Haha, why don't we all just wish racism and homophobia away with apathy?

spruce zeus

Banned
May 1, 2018
It doesn't go well for them because other people hold them accountable. You can't ignore these issues. They don't go away because they're ignored. Ignoring the problem makes it grow.

What I do agree with is that negativity breeds negative outcomes, and what goes around comes around, so they'll hopefully eventually realize that treating others in racist/homophobic ways is not the best course of action in life.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but taking on all the racists on the internet will probably not work out so well for you, unless you don't have much else going on in your life....at least it'll give you something to do to pass the time besides playing videogames. [/FONT]

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018

Did you even watch it? It's just the first hour. You can watch at the 1:05:00 and see more obvious examples. They downplay him calling someone a "retarded fag", say things like, "Chat spamming TriHard whenever I say blacksmith doesn't make them racist" or how he mispoke in his anti-women on Twitch rant and his intention wasn't to be hateful. They consistently downplay a lot of factors of racism while at the end of that segment saying, "I say a lot of racist shit in private with my non-racist friends. If those logs leaked then my career would be over."

You should probably dedicate a bit of time to go through the first hour.[/QUOTE

OK I was going off the information you provided. If I have to do research just to understand the Op maybe you left some information out because I read the entire Op.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thers racism everywhere, but the racism in twitch became a meme used by trolls that dont lose a chance to donate just to make the streamer bots say the N word out loud. Usually streamers get banned because of this.

From my (little) experience on twitch, i only have seen this kind of things in channels of streamers with alot of viewers that are using the voice bot for the donations texts. The channels of less crowded streamers are usually clean even when using the voice bot.

Twitch solution for this is banning the Streamers witch only make the trolls try harder to ban more streamers.

Thers also other kinds of more serious racism there used not just by trolls but the racist idiots, but thats not exclusive to twitch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
subpar spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
What I do agree with is that negativity breeds negative outcomes, and what goes around comes around, so they'll hopefully eventually realize that treating others in racist/homophobic ways is not the best course of action in life.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but taking on all the racists on the internet will probably not work out so well for you, unless you don't have much else going on in your life....at least it'll give you something to do to pass the time besides playing videogames. [/FONT]
People hold each other accountable. They just don't up and fix their ways. That's not how any of this works.

OK I was going off the information you provided. If I have to do research just to understand the Op maybe you left some information out because I read the entire Op.

The video link is in the OP. Would it be so hard to just click on it? It's a long video, yeah, but if you're interested in the topic then you'd watch even a bit of it.

spruce zeus

Banned
May 1, 2018
The issue isn't that they exist, you can't help the fact that they exist. But you can set standards for what is and isn't acceptable in society. If racists exist but they are unable to act because they know that they can't get away with it, then the negative effect of the existence of racism is reduced, and the spread of their ideologies will likely be more difficult as well.

No one is pretending that punishing them is going to make them stop being racist deep in their heart. That was never the goal.

I don't think it's about them even being "racist deep in their hearts". Some people just like to say shit that pisses people off because they're bored and it creates a reaction.

spruce zeus

Banned
May 1, 2018
People hold each other accountable. They just don't up and fix their ways. That's not how any of this works.

You're assuming that they're going to listen to you (someone who is speaking from a moral high ground). But why? Who are you besides a random outraged stranger?

If their goal was to piss off people on the internet for saying racist shit, don't you think your reaction means they are winning?

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He just admitted today on a podcast that he says some very crazy racist and homophobic things in private with his friends.
It absolutely baffles me that anyone would feel the need to do this. Like seriously, what is going through people's heads that they have to stop themselves from saying racist or homophobic things?

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Well yeah but when you have live tv shows it's kind of hard to make racists stop saying shit.
The extent of the fine should be a deterrent enough to make sure this doesn't happen.
It's so far from being as bad as the stupid situation of the US where racist fake news can mascarade as news like there's no problem that it feels like another galaxy.
I doubt that your channels are even a tenth of being as bad as what passes for tv in the US.
Like woah, it looks like 4chan has a tv channel there.
Okay. We do have the same thing in my country.

OP
OP
subpar spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Once again, what grants your moral superiority to choose who is racist and who isnt ? Yeah, people can say shit, but to judge everyone who's ever said a racist thing in their entire life is a bit of a stretch.
If they say racist things then they are racist? Destiny openly admitted he says really racist things in private to his friends.

Moral superiority? Oh... so that's what this is.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Racism doesn't mean hatred. If someone is willing to spread or encourage bigotry because they're apathetic to the potential harm they might cause, that selfishness is not any more innocent. You don't have to wear the hood to be a racist. The "real racists" over there don't make you any better.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I had no idea popular streamers were such assholes. This is truly unprecedented. /s

Shitheel fucks thrust into popularity with no oversight and no one to challenge their bullshit is fucking poisonous.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, what grants your moral superiority to choose who is racist and who isnt ? Yeah, people can say shit, but to judge everyone who's ever said a racist thing in their entire life is a bit of a stretch.

If you are going to call me a nigger or a faggot I'm not going to give you a pass just because you tell me you're joking.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017

Pretty sure you can call someone racist for...saying something racist a month ago.

Or I guess in this case, something bigoted.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I just skimmed through the video a bit, but is this basically a group of straight white guys deciding that saying bigoted things is not bad sometimes?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by the content of twitch chat and youtube comments they are probably marketing to that large loud demographic.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Yeah, Twitch is garbage, I always turn off the cancerous chat when I watch something.

Lobosjr is the only exception, his chat seems to be well moderated for the most part.

spruce zeus

Banned
May 1, 2018
If you are going to call me a nigger or a faggot I'm not going to give you a pass just because you tell me you're joking.

I'm not saying you should, but you should know that (especially kids) like to do what pisses everyone off to illicit reactions...I'm just suggesting that condemning others based on that is kind of pointless when your basically reacting the way they want you to. (instead of ignoring them).

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
The defense that you should be able to say anything so long as it's purely ironic and among friends is pretty weak and self-serving. If you understand that certain language lends itself to bigoted ideologies you want no part of, then it should be simple to just not use that language.

spruce zeus

Banned
May 1, 2018
What grants someone moral superiority? Not being a fucking bigot is usually a good starting point.

You're looking at this in a very black and white sort of way (no pun intended), and I hate to break it to you....the world is all sorts of grey.....The amount of cultural racism that exists in and outside of america is mind numbing to try and think about. Once again, I don't think calling out annoying kids on the internet for using racial slurs is really gonna solve the problem.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Each channel has its own culture. While trolls can always pop into any chat and say something driveby, the channels I follow don't tolerate it racism/hate speech/etc. I'd say find new streamers, breh.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is the "annoying kid" we're talking about, right?

destiny-lol-28eeyd.jpg

Nice beard on him.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
You're looking at this in a very black and white sort of way (no pun intended), and I hate to break it to you....the world is all sorts of grey.....The amount of cultural racism that exists in and outside of america is mind numbing to try and think about. Once again, I don't think calling out annoying kids on the internet for using racial slurs is really gonna solve the problem.
Yeah let's leave these racists alone. Would hate for their feelings to be hurt...

Give me a fucking break with this permissive fucking bullshit. This isn't some motherfucker who grew up and says "man I said some stupid shit as a teenager that I regret." This is shit he is saying now and wants a pass for it.

Fuck. That.

Know what isn't so grey? Racists are fucking assholes.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Been watching Twitch since the justin.tv days and I haven't witnessed bad behavior like racism or like the example in the op of hateful name calling. Though I am very picky who I watch, mostly smaller streamers and middle of the road streamers like futureman who don't encourage bad behavior or act out of line in this way. Just like in any community, I know there is some bad eggs, though personally, I have not witnessed this firsthand on Twitch other than the instances that make headlines.

spruce zeus

Banned
May 1, 2018
So from 'just ignore them' to 'well, maybe they aren't really racist.'

Hmm

Lol, I never said they aren't really....I'm just saying that a 14 year old kid who says shit online is probably just doing it to make people like you mad. It's not that deep bro.

Even the term "racist" (imo) has lost its impact because it's been thrown around so much.

For example, I was in a gamestop a few days ago and the kids playing the Switch were complaining that the game was "racist" for not letting them win. LOL

The entire thing has become a joke because internet warriors who deem themselves morally superior walk around judging everyone else with it.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying you should, but you should know that (especially kids) like to do what pisses everyone off to illicit reactions...I'm just suggesting that condemning others based on that is kind of pointless when your basically reacting the way they want you to. (instead of ignoring them).

I don't see what there is to gain from ignoring them. If they don't get a reaction from you, they get it from someone who thinks exactly the same way as them anyway. The only way you grow out of being a little edgelord is by realising what's wrong with what you are saying.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I never said they aren't really....I'm just saying that a 14 year old kid who says shit online is probably just doing it to make people like you mad. It's not that deep bro.

Even the term "racist" (imo) has lost its impact because it's been thrown around so much.

For example, I was in a gamestop a few days ago and the kids playing the Switch were complaining that the game was "racist" for not letting them win. LOL

The entire thing has become a joke because internet warriors who deem themselves morally superior walk around judging everyone else with it.

Ah, so racism doesn't mean anything because of unspecified internet warriors. I see.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Your tolerance is a part of why this stuff is so pervasive. If pressuring a video game streaming website in to self-moderating is too big of a hassle, where do you suggest we start trying to tackle the issue?

(Don't use ignore in your reply)

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

No, 'racist' is being thrown around because a lot of people are used to getting a pass for their racism.

Your pointless anecdote doesn't disqualify that actually.